The game runs like absolute garbage in A20.

Howlune

I'm sorry if the title offends.

I've been spending hours tweaking settings and the game just runs like sludge now. For reference, I have an RTX 3090, I7-7700k @4.20 base clock, 16gb RAM. The game uses half or more of my CPU and most of my RAM on the absolute lowest settings possible. I know i'm going to get the same dumb "It's experimental!" excuse or something, but with how many new graphical features they've added in this update, I'm not optimistic at all. The games been in Alpha for ages, I don't want to wait for it to go gold for them to start really optimizing it and making it perform better. Having decent looking settings and getting above 60 fps is a miracle, especially in cities. Don't even dare look in the direction of the new dishong tower unless you want to hate your life.

Also the Anti-aliasing looks awful no matter how high or low you set it. It's jarring to look at, and I run the game at 1440p no less.

Atleast ram wise ive noticed a bug that when you generate a new world via RWG it will take most of your ram and not release it after making the world. Forcing a restart of the game to release it. So if ram is a issue after making your world just restart your game real quick. YMMV

Edited by ssolos (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, ssolos said:

a new world via RWG it will take most of your ram and not release it

This.

And even the base game seems to be hogging memory a whole lot more now. I used to run at around 10 out of my 16 G used, now I was at 20-ish after upgrading to 32. I did improve my settings a bit, but not THAT much ... feels a lil rough.

Looks and feels smooth thou.

31 minutes ago, ssolos said:

Atleast ram wise ive noticed a bug that when you generate a new world via RWG it will take most of your ram and not release it after making the world. Forcing a restart of the game to release it. So if ram is a issue after making your world just restart your game real quick. YMMV

This helped a lot, thank you. It still feels like it runs way worse in cities most of all, but of course there are more POIs overall and the cities foundation is a POI itself.

I have an RTX 2060 Super, I7-9700F @3.00GHz, and 16GB and so far, it has been pretty good. My lowest FPS has been 84, and my highest has been 129. I haven't had any big lag spikes like I would experience in A19. I left the graphics settings to what they defaulted to, when I fired A20 for the first time, which was high. The map I chose was the Pregen 6K.

Edited by tman1up
Memory, and map edit. (see edit history)

Not sure if its appropriate to hop into this discussion but maybe it's something on your guys' end. My specs are: Radeon RX 580, 32GBs of RAM, Ryzen 3600X, and the game runs like a dream. It's the first time since Alpha 19 dropped that I've been able to play the game at full texture resolution and it runs at a steady 60fps at 1920x1080 fullscreen. I know that running at 100% GPU isn't terrible, but it sits comfortably around 60-70% GPU and under 40% CPU unless there's a ton of zombies in one area, and even then neither hits 100%. My RAM also sits at about 13-15GBs maximum, but I've only played for a few hours at a time. I had to stop in between singleplayer sessions to make and eat dinner lol.

Top be fair though, the rest of my settings are fairly low (I can post pics if needed), but it works really well. I've only hitched to a complete freeze twice, both times when trying to shoot a gun (once for a second, the second time for a few seconds). Other than that it's run better than any of the previous alphas (all the way back to 15.4(?)). 

Could it be a driver issue with NVidia or Intel? My drivers are also completely up to date for AMD (2021.10.2). 

I also didn't do a fresh install of 7 days, I just opted-in to the beta and re-verified the game files so it was completely vanilla—and took out the small modlets I have. I did end up putting back a HUD mod and a backpack mod though because they're pretty much essential, with no drop in FPS, and I did what was said to do in the announcement video of clearing all save data and such. 

And just to cover all bases, I did two runs at generating a random map, and both times at 6K only took about ~3 minutes. I don't know if anyone's going to check this for like, data or whatever but I figured I'd throw that in there too. 

Whatever TFP did, Alpha 20 runs way better than it did before, at least for me. But I could be an outlier here since I run on AMD and not NVidia or Intel. I'm not tech-savvy so I don't know how much bearing that would have on metrics or whatever the word is for like, computer stuff lol

29 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

Top be fair though, the rest of my settings are fairly low (I can post pics if needed),

Im interested in your settings since my computer and GPU is pretty old and i would like to use yours. without modification i got 40~ fps in the 5 minutes i tried the game.

I am running mostly ultra settings and the performance I am experiencing, so far, in this A20 experimental branch build isn't significantly worse than buttery smooth goodness I was getting out of A19.6.

I am currently farting around in the vanilla Navezgane map with its A20 updated POIs.

PC has an RTX 2060 weejeeoh card with current drivers, i7-10700 @ 2.90 gHz CPU, 64GB of RAM, and as I have been doing since A18, A20 is running off of an SSD.

I do have a smaller monitor than most and play at 1920x1080.

As is normal for me, Bloom and Sun Shafts are enabled, but Motion Blur and Depth of Field are disabled. For A20, I am giving SSAO and SS Reflections a whirl.

I'm currently running on a laptop i7-8665U with the inbuilt GPU. Not gonna pretend it's anything but 25fps on lowest setting, but it's playable, and if anything, it feels a touch smoother than A19.

However, even with settings on lowest, and standing in the wilderness (very few POIs), I'm on 15Gb of RAM consumed on a machine that's been optimised for gaming. If you're in a city running 16Gb of RAM and you have your typical PC with all the bloatware running in the background, odds are as soon as you go anywhere with some POIs, you'll be spending all your time page faulting, and none of it rendering the game.

No offence, but it astounds me that people are willing to spend $3000+ on GPUs, but not $200 on some extra RAM, then blame the games as "unoptimised" when their CPUs spend all the time trying to swap between memory and disk instead of feeding the GPU. Meanwhile, the GPU is sitting on 15% and running cold.

12 hours ago, Howlune said:

I've been spending hours tweaking settings and the game just runs like sludge now. For reference, I have an RTX 3090, I7-7700k @4.20 base clock, 16gb RAM.

I'm always amazed at the people who spend a thousand dollars on a graphics card and a few hundred on a CPU only to be unwilling to spend more than the bare minimum necessary on system memory. System memory is just as important as the other two components. Yes, this problem in particular is caused by a bug, but it would have gone completely unnoticed if your system wasn't memory anemic.

It's not just this game that would benefit either. I can't remember the last time I noticed a memory leak in an application where I wasn't purposefully looking for it thanks to spending a little more on RAM. Just doubling from 16GB to 32GB is a massive quality of life improvement.

Edited by Ryiah (see edit history)

i9-10850k, 32gb 3200, Radeon Rx 6700xt, 2tb SSD. I've been running ultra settings and I'm pulling more FPS in this alpha than any previous alpha.

It runs at a solid 1440p 120fps with dips down to 90 in mountain areas. SSAO, motion blur, Dof, and reflections are disabled.

If you don't have it turned on, I'd heavily recommend activating the occlusion setting as it will massively help with performance.

RTX 3090, Ryzen 5950x, 32GB RAM, PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive.  Graphics set to 4k and Ultra+ / max settings on everything.  Looks absolutely amazing and runs great until I get inside even a small city and then FPS tanks.  Still playable but noticeably laggy.  I'll have to try on 1080p for a while and see if that helps.

Also, I play on a dedicated server I've set up for myself (separate machine).  I've always noticed lag when looting containers (right at the start of looting it hangs) and it appears to still be noticeable in A20.

Ryzen 3900, RTX 2070 super, 32gb ram. Playing 1440p, everything maxed out on ultra+ (motion blurr off) and I get 80-120 fps. 

Went into midle of a huge city, spawned in with " 25 per click/spawn"  option vultures and 3 different kind of zombies, not sure how many zeds I had on screen 100, or 64.

FPS Tanked to 20-30, but it has never been this good in any previous alphas. 

For me this game runs butter smooth. Intel i7-8700K, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM. The only noticeable drop is still when there is a lot of zombies around, but I still stay above 60 usually, not the best on 144hz screen but its not the worst either, otherwise I usually maintain 140+ at 1080p High/Ultra/Medium range, I'm not using a preset.

There is still a very minor spike when I stumble into POIs that have a few zombies that need spawning which is an unfortunate thing as that usually gives away that there is some form danger around the corner.

23 hours ago, avad said:

Im interested in your settings since my computer and GPU is pretty old and i would like to use yours. without modification i got 40~ fps in the 5 minutes i tried the game.

No prob! Also piggybacking off of what @FarmerLee73 said in their post, the game also did an auto-settings and it had me on Ultra. I honestly thought it was @%$#ing with me for a minute but now? I'm not so sure... I'm tempted to, but I don't want to nuke my GPU on accident. Anyway, these are my current settings after I upped them last night, with RTSS on and monitoring in the corner on the last one to show you my in-game system usage at the house I'm currently living in. I'm sorry if the photos are not under spoiler properly because I am terrible at formatting on forums:

Spoiler

settings1.thumb.png.ef9d6ae0ec2bfb0f6dc5c347e3de81df.png

settings2.thumb.png.1b08840bf0cb9ff669d8443a2a8b544a.png

settings3.thumb.png.9807169bf3002d521c445779bb2108c8.png

settings4.thumb.png.0537ac280807f042d0d6f809d9907071.png

settings5.thumb.png.3d90994a513894df26678fd5d599efe3.png

The settings I changed from lower settings were:

• Texture Resolution: Quarter -> Half -> Full
  • Water -> Low to High
  • LOD Distance -> 25% to 75% 
  • Texture Filter: Low -> Medium
  • UMA Texture Quality: Low -> Medium
  • Reflection Quality: Low -> Medium
  • Object Quality: Medium -> High
  • SS Reflections Off -> Low (I think, could be mistaking this with Reflection Quality)

I should also note that my Dynamic Mesh Settings are at whatever default they were on when I first booted up 7DTD, as I didn't feel confident enough to change them. I've had zero problems apart from the occasional LOD pop-in too close on vehicles (bicycle), if that makes sense? Like sometimes, very rarely, it'll lag the imposter blocks and not update them until I'm a little ways past them on a bike. I'm also using AGF HUD Plus+, with several KhaineGB modlets (3 slot forge, 12 slot craft queue, 60 slot backpack, HP bars, kill tracker, lockable inventory slots, and pickup plants). It's been running great!

And again, I have an RX 580, Ryzen 5 3600X, and 32GBs of RAM, and I play usually with only 7 Days open so nothing bogs up the CPU or GPU (plus, I can get notifications on my phone and I'll actually see them). I honestly think @Ryiah is right about the RAM thing, because I remember having 16GBs and playing Alpha 18/19 and it would lag like crazy, even on a 4K map and low settings. Performance was a little better in those Alphas after upgrading to 32, but definitely not as much as it is in A20. Whatever TFP did... well it sure as hell worked lol

Edit: Oh, and I play with Anti-Aliasing off because I like the crisp edges. It's mostly a preference, but I know that AA has a lot to do with upping GPU usage (from playing other games that also use it). 

Edited by vergilsparda
missed extra info (see edit history)

Running the game on a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16 GB of RAM and just an old Geforce GTX 1060.

I run the game on High settings at 1680x1050 resolution, as well as host our Dedicated Server. I run on 60+ fps most of the time. Sometimes around our base it slugs down to 25-35 fps, but that's it. A restart of the game usually solves that. In general I feel it is so far performing better than A19 did for me.