A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I think streamlining everything to be built in 1 station is the best route to go.  Its too complicated having built not only a FORGE, but WORKBENCH, AND a chemistry station.. I mean how can you possibly figure out how to build and work all 3 of them.  I mean.. The Cement mixer is the nail in the coffin for complexity.

Just have one "Crafting Station"  that builds everything.

Damn, how many here didnt got the sarcasm. Well done Sir.

yeah 4 different Stations are really over the top. why a station at all. Lets craft everything via the players Craft Menu!

Careful, the last days i learnt only compliments stay here, the rest gets softdeleted aka moved to Nirvana.

Edited by Guppys Fur (see edit history)

They probably want to simplify it for newer players, while at the same time freeing up room for other things, and freeing up time for new stuff they expect the player to be doing.  Bandits and maybe npcs will be a thing in the future. 

I do not really care that much if it stays the same or changes, although I have never been a fan of burning clay, but they made it renewable so its cool, whatever. 

Although, I do like having my main loot room in a 3x3x3 cube(5x5x5 structure), and having less workstations inside would be pretty great. 

2 minutes ago, pregnable said:

They probably want to simplify it for newer players, while at the same time freeing up room for other things, and freeing up time for new stuff they expect the player to be doing.  Bandits and maybe npcs will be a thing in the future. 

I do not really care that much if it stays the same or changes, although I have never been a fan of burning clay, but they made it renewable so its cool, whatever. 

Although, I do like having my main loot room in a 3x3x3 cube(5x5x5 structure), and having less workstations inside would be pretty great. 

Perhaps increasing the max output slots in each workstation would be a suitable solution? From 6 to 12, for instance.

13 hours ago, Noctoras said:

I agree, this streamlining and simplification isn't the way to go for me, so I will probably try A20 and gold for a game, but then most likely not play anymore 7D2D ....

No need to give up playing 7dtd once gold is released no matter how you feel about it.

With the addition of steam workshop, mods will bring infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

On 3/13/2021 at 3:41 PM, SnowDog1942 said:

@MadMole, can we get rid of all the different types of things that you can eat and just call it "food" for simplification sake.   Its complicated having to learn how to make all the different types.  "food" would be much easier to manage for us non hardcore players.  C'mon we cant all have played as much as you.. just think about the new people.

Gardening would be much easier as well.... Just having 1 thing called "food Crop" which grows into "food".    When u kill animal you get Raw Food.   

Yes the cooked raw food and picked crops would both end up being called food but hey...  gameplay > realism.

So first I have to cook the raw food or food crop into food and then on top of that you still expect me to eat the food!?

Too much clicking.

40 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Perhaps increasing the max output slots in each workstation would be a suitable solution? From 6 to 12, for instance.

Well, my guess is that MM has been wanting to simplify some of that stuff, and do some of the things like Valheim did.

They are now playing Velheim and he is probably like "Look, see, I wanted to do that, and it works fine!"  Now he is wanting to do some of the crap the rest of the team had probably been fighting him on. 

MM seems to have a good feel for what works, so the changes will probably be fine.  Reducing the cost of repair kits and making weapons actually do damage were pretty good changes.  I mean who would honestly want to go back to the minecraft style box crafting at this point?  Heh.  Plenty of people were upset at the time though. 

32 minutes ago, Lonestarcanuck said:

Any chance Signs will support player art?  maybe via a mod like in Rust, where I can edit and paint or give it a URL to an external PNG/JPG to post?  

the server would store all the player art in a folder so that Admins can review them in bulk and replace if needed. 

it allowed for game server sponsors for events or charities. 

This would be amazing.  You know the first thing I'd put up on my sign, of course.

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

@SnowDog1942 Next time, voice your criticism in a constructive and helpful manner. The same goes for the rest of you.

Next time, don't speak from a place of authority if you don't have it. The moderation staff does a good job of separating the wheat from the chaff, all you're doing is trying to get teacher's attention by pretending to be her.

The new shape system sounds AMAZING! I've made some prefabs before, but felt handcuffed by what shapes were available in which material, so this is a Grade A awesome change. However I can't help but wonder how many total materials are earmarked for gold. I'm also a little wary of losing entire blocks, although I do understand why. Will zombie damage be adjusted to accommodate the reduced total HP from downgrading to Steel>>>Wood or some other method?

1 minute ago, Guppycur said:

Will we lose support for the downgrade xml property entirely for this dumbing down change?  

I have no insider information nor am I a tech person, but I wouldn't see a reason why they would keep a feature in they themselves wouldn't use. I could be wrong though, we'll see.

6 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I think streamlining everything to be built in 1 station is the best route to go.  Its too complicated having built not only a FORGE, but WORKBENCH, AND a chemistry station.. I mean how can you possibly figure out how to build and work all 3 of them.  I mean.. The Cement mixer is the nail in the coffin for complexity.

Just have one "Crafting Station"  that builds everything.

I will entertain the notion of you being serious, which is nothing but a dream, but I will do it nevertheless.

In reality that would indeed diminish the flavour of the game. 3, 4 stations is good. 29875692873569872354 stations (like CONAN) is the stupidest thing on this planet. 1 station (like you say) with 10 mods to gate stuff is very practical but it would make the game seem like it lacks in content and building aesthetics plus it would have to be balanced quite a bit. Also, the current system has the perfect balance between a frag ton of recipes to cope with in each station and 1 station would have too many to sort properly.

On that note, 7dtd could use a couple more stations (advanced forge for example) because the forge has a bit too many recipes already. Cooking could also be improved from campfire to a proper oven/kitchen station.  That is only to give the player a sense of progression, which might be needed for the reasons listed above and a couple more (late game aesthetics, sense of progression in late game, less recipe clutter, added looting/gaming to find those 2 recipes).

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I have no insider information nor am I a tech person, but I wouldn't see a reason why they would keep a feature in they themselves wouldn't use. I could be wrong though, we'll see.

Locked containers bashed to unlocked.  Crates to boxes.  ...and other more creative uses I'm not allowed to speak about here. 

11 hours ago, savemulder said:

your sarcasm is toxic , or you have a bad sense of humor. there is no place for that here . thank you

Oh, it was funny the first time - not when people repeat the exact same joke over and over.

9 hours ago, pregnable said:

They are now playing Velheim and he is probably like "Look, see, I wanted to do that, and it works fine!"  Now he is wanting to do some of the crap the rest of the team had probably been fighting him on.

Not really.

The whole smelting materials into the forge (smelter) is a silly mechanic that is unnecessarily hard to understand because no smelter works that way IRL.

They do not store a huge quantity of 5 different materials internally.

You smelt something and then you have an output of material so the chem station setup would be a lot more realistic for it.

That changes nothing with the gameplay. You need fuel to turn raw ores and other smeltables into ingots. Simple.

Scrapping things into base material for 100% return can be done at the workbench.

Edited by Gazz (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Astronomical said:

No need to give up playing 7dtd once gold is released no matter how you feel about it.

With the addition of steam workshop, mods will bring infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

You are right, but I personally like to play vanilla, mostly because it's easier to play together with my friends then and secondly with all the mods and stuff I often find it difficult to judge what works with and for what and do I like it or not. 

I prefer having a finished vanilla experience instead of having to mod my way, but that is my problem and not the game's problem, so all good for me. I had my share of 7D2D fun 🙂 

16 hours ago, pregnable said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Some future feature and its unknown impact on gameplay has little to do with a current feature. Or non-feature, depending on view point.

16 hours ago, Guppys Fur said:

Damn, how many here didnt got the sarcasm. Well done Sir.

yeah 4 different Stations are really over the top. why a station at all. Lets craft everything via the players Craft Menu!

Careful, the last days i learnt only compliments stay here, the rest gets softdeleted aka moved to Nirvana.

You have two more guesses on the criteria for nirvana movement 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

@Roland , how is performance doing from a19.4 to 20 (b98 ish) on your particular rig ?

I'd like to know specifically the [v-sync off and occluder off ] fps of 100 entities on screen performance and general gameplay/POI gameplay.  

I bother you with this because I wouldn't dare to waste any of the main Pimp's time these days, sorry about that, lol.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

@Roland , how is performance doing from a19.4 to 20 (b98 ish) on your particular rig ?

I'd like to know specifically the [v-sync off and occluder off ] fps of 100 entities on screen performance and general gameplay/POI gameplay.  

I bother you with this because I wouldn't dare to waste any of the main Pimp's time these days, sorry about that, lol.

It is a bother because it means I have to download 19.4 and play it in order to compare... I'll do it sometime this week.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

It is a bother because it means I have to download 19.4 and play it in order to compare... I'll do it sometime this week.

I know. I would test it myself, but oh well. hehe. That data is good press and I will be sure to spread it.