Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

27 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

avoid screamers  

Imagine avoiding all that free exp, smh

31 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

He said the skill would increase by reading stuff you find in loot, so no, it's not LBD.

Yep, they seem turbo against LBD for what ever reason. I honestly don't get the hate for it that people have, it just rewards you for having a play style and sticking to it, but I guess filthy casuals that can't make up their mind want to be a jack of all trades master of all, with minimal investment besides instant gratification perk points. Kids these days, they never would have made it in the days of Oblivion and earlier RPGs

Just from the way Madmole has described it, it sounds like your skill in crafting goes up by looting books, but there being so many crafting levels makes me think you probably can assign points to various crafting trees, and the points probably come from finding books.

Like you read a book and get 10 crafting points you can then allocate to shotguns, tools, armor etc

2 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

5) You'll note that some of the best poi designers (in my opinion) are now TFP staff. 😃

Yeah but i mean this as event on steam too. Well honestly something like that is "loud" and people will be interested

PS. i mean : events as news on steam not in game event

2 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Yeah but i mean this as event on steam too. Well honestly something like that is "loud" and people will be interested

PS. i mean : events as news on steam not in game event

There was once a Christmas event that the prize was... a graphics card I think?  Best Christmas POI design.  I didn't win.

3 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

There was once a Christmas event that the prize was... a graphics card I think?  Best Christmas POI design.  I didn't win.

Good to know. I just don't remember this because i have rly bad memory but i think  do something like that again could be good idea

Just now, Matt115 said:

Good to know. I just don't remember this because i have rly bad memory but i think  do something like that again could be good idea

I think there was a sponsor, like bluefang or something; this was a long time ago back when tfp was poor.  Pre console days, I think. 😃

48 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

That's cool. That way you can reward players with skill books for doing quests, which is a great incentive. The crafting increments will also keep us desiring better gear and the hands-on mechanic of making it ourselves is cool. It's hard balance work , but everything is already there in the code so it's just patching, implementing, tweaking and trying.

I have to ask, will you guys simultaneously add armours with legendary effects for weapons or are you holding off on the latter ? a21 seems crazy already, and it hasn't even taken form yet.

You.... are... yeah... you called quite a bit of screamers. I'm day 24 120 min days and I'm still on lvl 64. No more than a couple screamers called, so that must be it. You mad lad.

screamers can be good but when you have a higher game stage lets say you farm them things can get out of control fast for example in a19 i was intentionally using an auger to destroy a building to build up the heat map she creamed a few times called in more screamers and spawned too many radiated which were consisting of normal zombies but then the Wight's cops and bikers which those guys are nasty in groups and i almost died.

6 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

screamers can be good but when you have a higher game stage lets say you farm them things can get out of control fast for example in a19 i was intentionally using an auger to destroy a building to build up the heat map she creamed a few times called in more screamers and spawned too many radiated which were consisting of normal zombies but then the Wight's cops and bikers which those guys are nasty in groups and i almost died.

2 junk turrets watching your mine shaft entrance + robot drone to tell you when someone is sneaking up if they somehow got past your turrets + rockbusters for extra $$$ + an audiobook to listen to while you turn your brain off and hold m1

That's the secret sauce of mining in A20. Just go back up and refill the drum mags on your turrets every once in a while and collect all the loot bags, and go back to your mineshaft.  I mine at night with feral senses on for extra exp

4 hours ago, madmole said:

Nothing is finalized, but we're talking about a crafting skill for every item in the game. Associated books and schematics might add to it when read, and probably the introduction of "technical journals" or something you find and read to add to the skill. Higher intellect might give you +2 or something instead of +1. Something we can control in loot so players don't get too powerful too soon, (No spam crafting) and skill system to where its easier to craft a blue stone axe than a blue steel axe.

We're not. It's more like learn by looting lol.

No because you can put a land claim down, place your work benches use them, then pick them back up again. Still easy to be a nomad. With vehicles and drones to carry loot around I don't see a problem taking workbenches with you everywhere and setting up quick/temp anywhere.

4 hours ago, madmole said:

Nothing is finalized, but we're talking about a crafting skill for every item in the game. Associated books and schematics might add to it when read, and probably the introduction of "technical journals" or something you find and read to add to the skill. Higher intellect might give you +2 or something instead of +1. Something we can control in loot so players don't get too powerful too soon, (No spam crafting) and skill system to where its easier to craft a blue stone axe than a blue steel axe.

We're not. It's more like learn by looting lol.

Boy oh boy! Does this sound good or what?! I like the idea of using books and schematics to increase your skill level. Kind of like IRL, you read, you learn, you go do and get better. 

Thanks Pimps for working hard on this game. I absolutely love the new update. (P.s. Please don’t make us all wear the same outfits when the clothing/armor updates arrive.)

Happy HO-lidays, Pimps!!

16 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

2 junk turrets watching your mine shaft entrance + robot drone to tell you when someone is sneaking up if they somehow got past your turrets + rockbusters for extra $$$ + an audiobook to listen to while you turn your brain off and hold m1

That's the secret sauce of mining in A20. Just go back up and refill the drum mags on your turrets every once in a while and collect all the loot bags, and go back to your mineshaft.  I mine at night with feral senses on for extra exp

I just crouch so they don't hear me mining and I'm fine. Every once in a while you get some jerks visiting, but once you get deep enough down it's fine. I usually ignore them anyway and clear the lot of them when I come up at sunrise.

Found some bugs in interaction with onjects in MP.

1. An attempt to drive someone else's locked bicycle leads to its repair, if there is a repair kit.

2. You can block any open container set by another player. But only the owner can unlock.

Cop uses old model after self-detonation. Not bug, just interesting

Spoiler

20211216002615_1.thumb.jpg.095cb451811c4863fe5c777d33c1bfa2.jpg

Just fancy rwg

Spoiler

20211214004618_1.thumb.jpg.b5290280d3e139a0f5c4d97e4d038ae9.jpg

I'm a complete noob still getting used to the game, but is mandatory skill point allocation the only consistent way to get a workbench? Because if so, that's pretty bad design. All of your free points just go into the workbench, so what's the point? Might as well just give everyone the workbench from the beginning and not bother letting them think they just got some useful skill points...

1 hour ago, Generris said:

I'm a complete noob still getting used to the game, but is mandatory skill point allocation the only consistent way to get a workbench? Because if so, that's pretty bad design. All of your free points just go into the workbench, so what's the point? Might as well just give everyone the workbench from the beginning and not bother letting them think they just got some useful skill points...

I think the design is good because you must do something before getting the workbench. If you would be able to have a workbench very early game that would be OP

6 minutes ago, nielm269 said:

Was Nitrate veins removed from A20, I haven't found one yet and have been digging around like Clint Eastwood  in paint your wagon.

They're in as normal, far as I can tell.

Zoom your map all the way in and look for a white 2x2 pixel square.  That's a nitrate bloom.  Dig straight down from the bloom on the surface and you'll usually find a decent size vein.

10 minutes ago, nielm269 said:

Was Nitrate veins removed from A20, I haven't found one yet and have been digging around like Clint Eastwood  in paint your wagon.

They are more prominent in snow biome, iirc. Just walk around and look for a nitrate block on the surface, and then start mining down.

14 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

So this makes me curious. Why would you be going back into a POI anyway if loot respawn is off. Why would zombie respawn even natter?

I like to go back into looted POI's eventually and wrench everything apart, so having no zombies means I won't have any risk of getting a bunch of resources.

But also, my Resident Evil mod requires you to go back and forth, and I want respawns 

2 hours ago, Generris said:

No, you get work benches by buying them, finding the magazine that teaches you to build it, being given one for free by the trader, OR by using the perk points to unlock it.

Just go do quests and you will be handed one by the trader at like trader level 2. By the time you even need a workbench the trader should have given you one for free or offered one for sale. I haven't wasted points on a work bench in like 2+ alpha now, there's no way I'd even find the parts to craft one before I'd already just bought one or been given one by the trader. The hammer alone took me way longer than the trader reward workbench did

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

A question about the world gen previewer. Is the orange the wasteland, or is the more yellow-y section the wasteland?

Orange is wasteland, yellow is desert.

Can something be done about the preview camera controls?   Speed seems to be limited by framerate and holding Shift doesn't make it go faster

5 hours ago, nielm269 said:

Pull up your map, zoom in, and look for the little white squares. Those are nitrate deposits. Red is Iron, Blue is lead, and Black is coal.  Easy peasy.

Archived