Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

The old marksmanship rifle was redundant to the new HD sniper rifle plus it wasn't up to the current standard.  Not surprised it was replaced.

Don't get me wrong, gun variety is a nice quality of life addition but not something I would expect right now.

Maybe it could be a nice DLC thing but who knows especially if that legendary gun stuff makes it in eventually.

Tons of gun mods out there now so won't be surprised if modders fill in that need for you.

It was really just the model that was replaced. The new model does mostly the same mid tier stuff as far as I know.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Something along the lines of what you suggest has been discussed but there are no definite plans. It will depend on time as we are definitely in the twilight of this game's development cycle. I also hope they do something along these lines if possible.

Thankfully, not all final loot rooms are on rooftops so this issue is somewhat mitigated.  Questing also resets POIs so this is a problem when exploring a POI without a quest there.

Given the voxel nature of the game, its a complicated issue.  Hopefully a solution is determined that wont require alot of POI rework.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

My favourite part of the stream was when Rick said that a21 was probably the last one and Lathan's face was like... "OooOOook I'm out of here". There's very little chance that a21 gets to be the last alpha because there are 4-5 major systems left. And each alpha gets to see 2-3 tops. 

Then again a22 might be called "alphabeta twister 2.0" and they introduce the main campaign and radiated bees.

In the original kickstarter there were goals that were slated as being fulfilled by DLC after the game was released. Some things got switched around and those goals were prioritized and finished long before the game went gold. My point is that Rick could very well be correct if they decide that some features could be released post gold in a DLC. It wouldn't be a DLC that cost anyone anything since it was part of the original kickstarter goals but it also wouldn't necessarily hold the game up from being finished. The main story/campaign would be a big possibility for a feature coming after gold.

Also, they are done with huge sweeping overhauls. Water needs to be fixed but I know they are going for simple and functional so that will be nowhere near as sweeping a change as the RWG and block selector overhauls were. Bandits need to be added but they already have many of the models done and the POIs that will house them as their bases worked out, and all of the player animations that are viewable in 3rd person that they have done are also for bandits so a lot of the heavy lifting is done.

It's still a long shot. They probably will overshoot the number of Alphas needed just as they overshoot the amount of time they think each alpha cycle should take. But Rick's statement isn't impossible. :)

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

The old marksmanship rifle was redundant to the new HD sniper rifle plus it wasn't up to the current standard.  Not surprised it was replaced.

Don't get me wrong, gun variety is a nice quality of life addition but not something I would expect right now.

Maybe it could be a nice DLC thing but who knows especially if that legendary gun stuff makes it in eventually.

Tons of gun mods out there now so won't be surprised if modders fill in that need for you.

I doesn't talk about quality because models looks great but this like change MP5 into MP40 it just doesn't fit in my opinion. Like - if you add AK47 in WW2 game it can't fit

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I think you need to choose your words better (I know you are from Poland, but still).  The new junk / pipe weapons do not look terrible, but are great looking models made by a designer who clearly put a lot of work into them.  Maybe you don't like the style of them or what weapons they were based off of, but there is no reason to say someone's work looks terrible.  Saying that they are terrible (along with any of the new HD zombie models) comes across as attacking someone's artistic skills.  Maybe after the game goes final, a modder will come up with different, replacement models you will like better.

I doesn't mean they are "@%$#y work" i mean- they not suit - honestly i don't evalute the quality but "if something suit or not" - if  this junk guns was added into mad max- it would be great it suit there perfect. But in 7dtd not. Spider  model could looks great in killing floor but not suit here. Yes they make a good job but this is like STG44 in 1939 - not suit.  Honestly... moders can't make replacement - tools to create models can be rly expensive 

Okay small explanation: i don't criticizes they job. i criticizes change of setting because it's have rly diffrent vibe that previouse versions. 

There is one thing what in my opinion most of you agree : corpses have only few variant's and that's hurt. So maybe 5 more variant of corpse props could fix this problem. i will explain why this so important for me : honestly this is quiet "unique" detail-  walls can looks this same because this is normal - hole in wall looks rly cool and if you seen  something similiar in next POi you will not have "deja vu" but- if you see in bear cave 10 this  same body it's looks just bad.  I don't say it must have 50 type of this prop  but 5-10 could help a lot

15 minutes ago, Survager said:

@madmole on the stream, you said that in 20 Alpha, all traders received new models. Will in Alpha 20 trader Jen change too?

Spoiler

image.png.c66cfe42d54d4ddad2bc3f172b152c04.png

Fear not, they might change her face or her clothing, but her boobs will certainly be safe and sound, because that's what matters. For gameplay reasons.

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Oh, I wish that too. But I think I heard madmole saying that the shape menu had 144 shapes (months ago?, so it makes sense to have 270 now) and they were passing through 1000+ blocks. Also, it says TOTAL. Total is not " partial" as far as I know. Why would it say total if it's only one single box?. Do you really believe there are 2 more pages of 90 blocks behind that screenshot for that same category ? I personally doubt it, but maybe it's just me.

1200 shapes is crazy. 270 is already more than 5 times what we had. The second makes sense. The first would make sense if we are talking to the total amount of blocks in the game, which they are. 

Still. The editor would have all the 1200 shapes anyway.

Edit: 270 shapes for each material is what I believe to be the reality of the situation. Including furniture and various other things.

Yeah, I was just sayin is that I don't think the next page will select the next column on the left. I feel it is probably on the all blocks and the left is a filter kinda thing. The picture is also on concrete from what it looks like. So maybe concrete only has 240 whatever items for it but wood has lots more and so on. Why I put the +/- because some materials probably don't make as many blocks as another. Point is I can see it both ways and in one of these streams soon we will see more info on it. Either way we getting loads more building options to play with :)

1 hour ago, crazywildfire said:

Yeah, I was just sayin is that I don't think the next page will select the next column on the left. I feel it is probably on the all blocks and the left is a filter kinda thing. The picture is also on concrete from what it looks like. So maybe concrete only has 240 whatever items for it but wood has lots more and so on. Why I put the +/- because some materials probably don't make as many blocks as another. Point is I can see it both ways and in one of these streams soon we will see more info on it. Either way we getting loads more building options to play with :)

Hey, @Roland, settle this for us, will you? Is it more like 240 shapes or  more like1200 shapes?

It was more like 240 shapes about 8 months ago. Now it’s more like 1200 shapes.

One of the big changes this time around was that whenever the level designers needed a particular shape, instead of trying to repurpose an existing shape, they simply had the shape they wanted modeled and added so they could do exactly what they wanted. 

They wanted a lot. 

12 hours ago, Matt115 said:

SRLY? head of teddy bear on drone -.- 

Honestly anoyone could add more models of corpse because we have - decaying dead guy, half of woman (which is halve of zombie type ) , few bones and skull? Rly guys add more please. 

Junk guns looks... like something from mad max or fallout XD lever rifle looks rly good but junk guns.... honestly why you guys if just don't use sten or blyskawica as junk smg?

Spider zombie- what the hell? this is still 7dtd or RE2? if this second game please add 20 ft gigant zombie -.- gg from changing walking dead into cod after BO1 

Wright- this looks more like normal zombie that special type.

So conclusions? Few good things a lot of bad thing i'm dissapointed as hell

1: I think its funny but I HAVE NO CLUE WHY but in my head i think the drone should have at least 2 more propellers. its a box with 2 fans taped to the side, Still like it

2: i mean the Pipe shotgun looks like you just took a pipe and added some stuff and boom gun, the SMG kinda looks like the grease gun (whitch was/is basically a Hobos MP40 that shoot 45.acp and it was made with cheep metal and parts) AKA something i would see in 

3: agree with that, but sense the game looks like YEARS went by, i would just skeletons 

4: I LOVE THE NEW SPIDER ZOMBIE, but i do hope they give it more specials ability's 

5: yes i do agree with that, I like the old weight better looks like something that would eat your heart out now he looks like me on a Friday night 
(i would make it so there was No skin, add sharper teeth, red eyes, Clawed hands, Torn pants)

Spoiler

a rough idea but thats how i would make it. 1507105564_bloodFeral.thumb.png.4716c85753e1bcb88449d110f90ea0b0.png

25 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

1: I think its funny but I HAVE NO CLUE WHY but in my head i think the drone should have at least 2 more propellers. its a box with 2 fans taped to the side, Still like it

2: i mean the Pipe shotgun looks like you just took a pipe and added some stuff and boom gun, the SMG kinda looks like the grease gun (whitch was/is basically a Hobos MP40 that shoot 45.acp and it was made with cheep metal and parts) AKA something i would see in 

3: agree with that, but sense the game looks like YEARS went by, i would just skeletons 

4: I LOVE THE NEW SPIDER ZOMBIE, but i do hope they give it more specials ability's 

5: yes i do agree with that, I like the old weight better looks like something that would eat your heart out now he looks like me on a Friday night 
(i would make it so there was No skin, add sharper teeth, red eyes, Clawed hands, Torn pants)

1.  this sound like futurama for me XD

2.  about pipe shotgun- honestly it could be done like shotgun pistol from metro. If it was grease gun i woudn't complain but now it looks like - what if Warhammer 40k get  Orks teleports into post nuclear earth ( no orcs - orks honestly they write similiar to me WARRRRGHTTTTT!!!!!!) .

3. honestly about spider zombies : their face looks to much like alien and strange big toes. Well at least better barefoot that 1 shoe. Honestly this looks for me like :

-hey Stue we bought rights to Ben 10

-WHAT THE HELL WE ARE MAKING HORRORS NOT GAMES FOR KIDS.

-Yep so we are making Ben 10 but as WW1 horror  with aliens

- Well i have idea how it could looks like.

5. Yeah... new wright doesn't look's scary. Less skin maybe claws similar to l4d2 witch blood and will be okay

But rest of the zombies looks great : radioactive , doctor ( but i hate that she have one shoe !) zombie dog or screamer. Btw anyone know if they want to add new corpses props?

11 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Yes. Still ok. I believe each page switches to the next left box. Even if it's not, page 2 probably has very few shapes.

No. Each page does not switch a single column. Each page is a brand new page of shapes and page 2 is completely full as is page 3, 4, 5 ,6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12.

It is page 13 that isn't full.

6 minutes ago, Spuder said:

Sorry if this has been asked already. They stated in the stream that 25 HD zombies have been completed since A19. Does this include the ones done in A19, or is this in addition to what was completed for A19?

Including A19. A19 was when they began the project and it has continued in A20 and will continue into A21.

5 hours ago, Roland said:

It was more like 240 shapes about 8 months ago. Now it’s more like 1200 shapes.

One of the big changes this time around was that whenever the level designers needed a particular shape, instead of trying to repurpose an existing shape, they simply had the shape they wanted modeled and added so they could do exactly what they wanted. 

They wanted a lot. 

Is that in the game or in the editor? Can you confirm that we have close to 1200 shapes to choose from for each material in a normal gameplay? 

1 minute ago, Blake_ said:

Is that in the game or in the editor? Can you confirm that we have close to 1200 shapes to choose from for each material in a normal gameplay? 

Okay, this is ridiculous.  The developers were talking about standard A20 gameplay and so am I. Why would I talk about the editor out of the blue? 

Just accept the good news! Sheesh!!  I suppose when you see actual gameplay in coming weeks you will finally believe. :)

7 minutes ago, Roland said:

Okay, this is ridiculous.  The developers were talking about standard A20 gameplay and so am I. Why would I talk about the editor out of the blue? 

Just accept the good news! Sheesh!!  I suppose when you see actual gameplay in coming weeks you will finally believe. :)

Lol.Alright. forgive me for being a little wary of a 3000% increase in shape number. Next time a guy approaches me telling that he's a Pimp and he'll give me a discount I'll just say yes, thank you.

17 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Lol.Alright. forgive me for being a little wary of a 3000% increase in shape number. Next time a guy approaches me telling that he's a Pimp and he'll give me a discount I'll just say yes, thank you.

Keep in mind we have a ton of 1/2 block variants, trims, moldings, plates, stairs, etc. etc.

Hats off to the guy who made the majority of them.  Without them, the POIs would not look nearly as good...😁

could you answer these questions  please?

1.Will Steel/concrete blocks have just as much HP as they currently do in Alpha 19? (steel has 7500 HP and breaks down to reinforced concrete( (5000) HP for a total of 12,500 hp
2.Will they also use the same amount of materials to achieve?
3. will they also give roughly the same EXP?

Archived