A19 Diary Discussions

Jay_ombie

31 minutes ago, Star69 said:

Since this is still A19, question for anyone really. On every seed thus far it seems as if pigs and deer are kind of rare. Chicken and rabbits are common as well as bears and wolves. We get most of our meat from bears and wolves. In our current seed, 1 deer and no pigs except for poi pigs on day 56. We travel a lot with 8 traders marked so I expected to see more pigs and deer with that much map opened up. Anyone else experiencing this? Just curious.

This is how things are supposed to work. :) Chickens and rabbits respawn daily; boar, deer, and bucks are supposed to be very rare; wolves very rarely spawn during the day; wolves, dire wolves, and bears spawn during the night. (The above covers the forest biome. Dire wolves, mountain lions, and bears spawn in the day in the snow biome. I'm not 100% about other biomes.)

1 hour ago, Star69 said:

Since this is still A19, question for anyone really. On every seed thus far it seems as if pigs and deer are kind of rare. Chicken and rabbits are common as well as bears and wolves. We get most of our meat from bears and wolves. In our current seed, 1 deer and no pigs except for poi pigs on day 56. We travel a lot with 8 traders marked so I expected to see more pigs and deer with that much map opened up. Anyone else experiencing this? Just curious.

Intended for balance. Predators and " big game preys" are rare. Chickens and rabbits abundant. Predators abundant at night and can stay spawned through the day if you are close. 

Not a bug. Intended. 

55 minutes ago, Roland said:

You're worthy as long as you are conversing directly with the devs. Discussing issues and topics amongst ourselves is just a bunch of noise that the devs have to read through. Plus most people when they ask Madmole a question and then get answered by Space4Ace, MechanicalLens, Roland, Hiemfire, Adam, and then hit on by Snowdog...well lets just say I don't think they care much if all those responses are removed so that the person they were addressing has a better chance of seeing their question and answering it himself... ;)

That means that you are noise too. Got it teach :P.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

That means that you are noise too. Got it teach. 

Yeah, but Roland is having a pretty sane point.

A discussion thread where we talk with devs directly should be separated from a one, where we can have our fun talks, not cluttering their time, because.. *saying it loud*.. A20 is on its way boys ! 

Edited by beerfly
uum.. no reason at all.. (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

You're worthy as long as you are conversing directly with the devs. Discussing issues and topics amongst ourselves is just a bunch of noise that the devs have to read through. Plus most people when they ask Madmole a question and then get answered by Space4Ace, MechanicalLens, Roland, Hiemfire, Adam, and then hit on by Snowdog...well lets just say I don't think they care much if all those responses are removed so that the person they were addressing has a better chance of seeing their question and answering it himself... ;)

I was only joking of course. I read "unofficial" answers from people, who are only trying to help (including myself sometimes), but they can make the original message kind of disappear in a sea of funny, and sometimes, childish comments, far removed from the subject.

The A19 dev diary thread looks much cleaner now, so I thank you Roland. Just glad to see the messages are still there, somewhere!

Edited by Space4Ace (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Speaking of which, I hope bleeding makes its full return before gold...

? Either you're very lucky and haven't caught the crit that often or feel it should be nastier than it is in game. Infection, bleeding and laceration are the most common ones for me to get, and it sucks getting hit by bleed.

1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

? Either you're very lucky and haven't caught the crit that often or feel it should be nastier than it is in game. Infection, bleeding and laceration are the most common ones for me to get, and it sucks getting hit by bleed.

Then you're very unlucky. This is the only alpha where I never crafted or held onto regular bandages. With my reckless playstyle I get hit a lot, but only a couple times in all of A19 have I actually started bleeding. (Either that, or heavy armor really is that powerful late-game, but then again I said my first sentence for a reason.) Criticals seem common enough though.

58 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Then you're very unlucky. This is the only alpha where I never crafted or held onto regular bandages. With my reckless playstyle I get hit a lot, but only a couple times in all of A19 have I actually started bleeding. (Either that, or heavy armor really is that powerful late-game, but then again I said my first sentence for a reason.) Criticals seem common enough though.

It might be the armor, I prefer light or none (fully aware of the risk) because the mobility reduction and increased food and water req of wearing heavy drives me absolutely nuts. Mostly the former, I despise being restrained.

3 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

It might be the armor, I prefer light or none (fully aware of the risk) because the mobility reduction and increased food and water req of wearing heavy drives me absolutely nuts. Mostly the former, I despise being restrained.

Nonetheless, bleeding is certainly less common in A19. I wear padded armor up until around day 14+ (day 21+ if you convert if over to default day length).

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nonetheless, bleeding is certainly less common in A19. I wear padded armor up until around day 14+ (day 21+ if you convert if over to default day length).

It also has more competing with it for the proc than before. Used to just be bleed, infection and sprained or broken leg. Now it is laceration (which immediately procs bleed and has a chance to keep doing so if you don't stich up and get hit again), concussion, abrasion, fatigue, infection, sprained arm, sprained leg, broken arm and broken leg (the sprains lead into the breaks, but iirc I've had hits skip sprains and jump straight to breaks). There might be one for the torso I'm forgetting, but that is still over double the critical effects of A18 and earlier that bleed is competing with. I've had all but 2 at once as well... There's a reason I carry the equivalent of a full 7d2d clinic, minus the basic bandages which are practically useless, in my backpack when supplies permit.

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

@madmole

For the sake of "simplification", we should get rid of the dart trap ammo and just make it shoot nails.

Dart ammo is only used there. Whatd'ya think?

I like it, and we can have every gun just shoot “ammo” for simplification.

and we can just have “food” for simplification.  

2 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I like it, and we can have every gun just shoot “ammo” for simplification.

and we can just have “food” for simplification.  

We could also streamline blocks and get rid of all the shapes... just needless clutter. A Full Block of 1 x 1 x 1 is fully enough.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:11 PM, meganoth said:

And if we look at Nitrogen and compopack specifically I think there are serious drawbacks and problems with integrating them.

Nitrogen is written in Java. Its integration into 7D2D is nonexistant. If they don't have someone fluent in Java and willing to dabble in that code base they would need to hire the nitrogen modder (if he is available at all) or preferably translate the sources to c# first (since that would mean easier integration and easier maintenance long term). This could have actually been an option they were thinking about but seemed to have decided against it. But who knows, maybe they are in talks with Damocles, he is awfully silent at the moment 😉

Damocles whereabouts sure is an interesting question, as there is little news currently. I would be mega happy, if the devs in some way cooperated with Damocles or integrated his work in RWG. And given his total lack of any communication, it's all in the realm of possibilities.

Nitrogen maps for me have been the single most important modding option to the game I can think of. 

Vanilla RWG has got simply worse with time after A16, since it's no more random. Actually if I know that snow is up north, desert in the middle and have a lead topstone above all major lead mines, the maps just is no more random and this makes replayability less fun. Hope Damocles name will be seen in the future iterations of 7d2d heading gold 🙂 

This is a rather unorthodox place to come for advice, but here I am. After 3,000 hours, I've realized that 90 minute days are growing quite stale on me. I appreciate(d) that extra time to do the mediocre work - harvesting resources, that is - but then I'd be stuck for 7 days with nothing to do but looting. This same pattern has worn on me and I've finally decided to transition to the standard 60 minute days. I currently have a world going (day 21) with the former daylength, but I am not the one to simply switch daylength within a playthrough - it just takes me out of it, with the time before feeling like "cheating" at that point. Nor am I the one to like unfinished projects, so while I'm losing faith in this world, abandoning it might impact my next world, or even worlds. I am unsure of what course of action to follow, so... Toss of the coin, I guess.

Okay, so this turned into more of an inner monologue. My bad. 😛

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Jost Amman I have a better idea. How about the devs vastly increase the amount of old sham sandwiches in loot, increase their stack size to 500, and have us use those as dart trap ammo. ;)

Frankly I don't know why you guys don't take such suggestions seriously... is much more possible that they listen to these little changes/fixes that they can do in a measurable amount of time, than if you're asking to completely re-write an entire system. Removing Dart Trap ammo is also an example of how you can optimize the game a bit at a time.

One less recipe in the Forge, one less item in loot (if any) or in the trader list, only used there, there's really no point in keeping this one.

Also, @SnowDog1942 it's not like making "everything generic", since the ammo example you make is ludicrous.

I suppose you're one of those guys that still want Bear Meat, Boar Meat, Deer Meat, Chicken Meat, Wolf Meat, Snake Meat and Rabbit Meat?

(ok, I know some snarky sexual oriented comment is coming... crap! I've essentially shot my foot here)

/serious

Ok, your replies were fun actually! :heh:

On a side note, I've started roleplaying a bit at the start of my worlds. This time around I spawned in some deco items next to a car (which I had also spawned in with the cheat menu), roleplaying that I had crashed into this large puddle pond, I had spent the late part of the night dragging everything out of the trunk of the vehicle and I had set everything on dry land, including the chair which I lounged in until morning. Adds that extra bit of immersion. :)

7_Days_To_Die_2020-10-11_2_05_11_PM.thumb.png.f062d3b214c654335f98f7b935b3e2d1.png

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

(which I had also spawned in with the cheat menu)

Cheat menu? What cheat menu? Ohhh you mean the stage items for story board presentation menu... (Dude, seriously, the creative menu exists and is accessible in single player, regardless of settings, with a few key presses... If you want to snag a little out of it to set the RP mood for your play through, @%$#ING GO FOR IT!!!!)

6 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

Day 35 and not a single boar spawn seen, except the horde of them dropped on me via mischief maker. (which promptly got me killed)  😛

Boars in farm POI are there, but haven't seen a single one in the wild.

Everything else, yes. Just no bacon.  :(

I mentioned as well but was told it was meant to be that way, which I already knew. I think that they went too far. They aren't just rare, they are non-existent. When you can go that long in a game seed, seed after seed, and you see none....that is an issue. 

13 hours ago, Guppys Fur said:

We could also streamline blocks and get rid of all the shapes... just needless clutter. A Full Block of 1 x 1 x 1 is fully enough.

Yes. And I hope we get rid of POIs too. Just a block with different paintings on it would do. Imagine the gains. And all the Zds can be just Arlene. It's not like she isn't used to it already.