Motorcycle vs 4x4 which is better ?

Hazitru

I was just driving all my vehicles today and I feel as though motorcycles should have reduced space, they're a very overpowered vehicle. Most people don't make the 4x4 because its a lot slower and is harder to control, the few more spaces of storage still doesn't make it a comparable choice to the motorcycle. I feel like reducing the motorcycle space in half would be more balanced because right now there is no incentive to make the 4x4 besides completionist reasons. If not then i would swap them and make the 4x4 available before the motorcycle since the motorcycle is the obvious superior vehicle. 

I use vehicles according to my needs. If I want to get from A to B quickly I often use the gyrocopter to avoid the uneven terrain. I use the 4x4 when I want to transport a lot of stuff and I use the motorcycle for everything else.

definitely motorcycle ...  gyro is huge disapointment ... due to terrrain requirement to land /start  .. and very slow starting  / landing overall + close to no space for items

4x4  is  just clumsy version of moto

= same speed

- double fuel consumption

+ more space in trunk

- incredibly clumsy due to size (there is still many objects  you cant drive over ... and avoiding obstacles/terrain chunks is  10 times easier with small moto)

- cant really climb hills like moto

+ can carry more than  1 person (on other side two motorcycles are cheaper to craft,consume same same amount of gas,offer more trunk space)

Yeah they need to give the 4x4 a 3" suspension lift kit xD and a 3" body lift with 35" muddies. At least thats what iv done to mine IRL xD and yes im serious about the in game one too it needs lifting, more torque. It never ceases to amaze me that we cannot kill squat with that front heavy bladed thing, tbh swap that to a bull bar = less weight = less sticking on terrain.

Still I think the 4x4 is best when i do loot runs t4-t5(double dipping), trader reset day if I have 4-5 scattered id use gyro, bike is nice early on and single loot runs biking back to base to store stuff. 

39 minutes ago, DaChibii said:

Did Fun Pimps ever consider adding a built in Workbench to the 4x4 to make it more like a worktruck, so that it could have greater appeal?

errr no thanks  weird and useless at same time...   time to back off to cartoon games with weird vehicles ( scrap mechanic)

not to mention they add   vehicle mods in a20  and that  can completely change situation about speed / gas requirement/trunk

2 minutes ago, alanea said:

errr no thanks  weird and useless at same time...   time to back off to cartoon games with weird vehicles ( scrap mechanic)

not to mention they add   vehicle mods in a20  and that  can completely change situation about speed / gas requirement/trunk

You know... work trucks that have these capabilities exist in the real world, right? There is nothing "cartoon(ish)" or "weird" about the suggestion. Additionally, I personally would find it far more useful, and would be worried that could be slightly game-breaking. I mean it would definitely support the players that choose a more nomadic playstyle over the 'base building" one.

Yeah the 4x4 is a very special-purpose vehicle. Use it pretty much purely for doing big looting runs or transferring huge amounts of items between locations. It's also good to park outside your horde base on blood moon nights so that if @%$*#! goes bad you can bug out in it.

The Motorcycle is vastly better for actually transporting yourself around (the 4x4 gets stuck a ton on even remotely uneven terrain) and is way more fuel efficient. The gyrocopter is useful if you've got a lot of uneven terrain that other vehicles struggle with or if you're wanting to fast-loot buildings, but is super useless in PvE otherwise. (You can also use it to just totally ignore a horde night, but the 4x4 does this better and costs way less fuel, and early horde nights you don't even need the 4x4)

13 hours ago, DaChibii said:

You know... work trucks that have these capabilities exist in the real world, right? There is nothing "cartoon(ish)" or "weird" about the suggestion. Additionally, I personally would find it far more useful, and would be worried that could be slightly game-breaking. I mean it would definitely support the players that choose a more nomadic playstyle over the 'base building" one.

i defintiely never seen  army jeep  with ductaped workbench /alchemy station /whatever on top

changing it into truck  would make  it even bigger .... even worsening main reason people avoid  4x4

nomadic people can easily  carry workbench with them as you can easily pick up workstations for pathetic 1  inventory slot ( but those usually just use poi /traders ones

12 hours ago, Teacyn said:

Yeah the 4x4 is a very special-purpose vehicle. Use it pretty much purely for doing big looting runs or transferring huge amounts of items between locations. It's also good to park outside your horde base on blood moon nights so that if @%$*#! goes bad you can bug out in it.

dont try that there are systems in game preventing you from using vehicle during blood moons

The Motorcycle is vastly better for actually transporting yourself around (the 4x4 gets stuck a ton on even remotely uneven terrain) and is way more fuel efficient. The gyrocopter is useful if you've got a lot of uneven terrain that other vehicles struggle with or if you're wanting to fast-loot buildings, but is super useless in PvE otherwise. (You can also use it to just totally ignore a horde night, but the 4x4 does this better and costs way less fuel, and early horde nights you don't even need the 4x4)

no idea what alpha you played last but a18 a19 made blood moon spawn irradiated vultures if you are inside vehicle  that are faster than you and wreck   any vehicle in few hits

but yeah few more slots in trunk dont justify to use something as terrible in terrain as  4x4  its not really motorcycle fault  but 4x4 just dont fit well into terrain

neither. The 4x4 can carry 2 people and has more storage but requires more gas and smoother/larger paths. The motorcycle carries 1 person, has a smaller storage but can go over terrain that is bumpy and unever a lot better than  the 4x4.

I use both the 4x4 and motorcycle. I put the motorcycle in the 4x4 storage, drive along the roads and more-or-less even terrain to a good location, then switch to the motorcycle to cover rough terrain. I hit whatever I was aiming for, load up the bike and my backpack with loot, then return to the 4x4. It's the work of a minute to transfer loot from the bike to the 4x4, is all.

It'd be nice if the bike could be added to the 4x4's bed like a passenger, so it didn't need to be emptied to be stowed. But I can cope with the little bit of hassle.

I prefer the Moto for most everything. It's better on gas it collides with less items/terrain (though I think they said they fixed this I can't confirm as I am just set in my ways with the moto and haven't tried the 4x4 yet.) So for most cases and uses the Moto is the vehicle I prefer. But I have friends who juts really like the 4x4 because of its storage and it allows them to drive around with a friend.

HOWEVER

I will say the 4x4 is Great if you and a a friend are doing trader quest and you want to double clear some poi's. The extra inventory space here allows you to take back a ton more items to sell or build up your stock. Also it's pretty funny to go through some t5 poi's when you and your friend both roll up with 4x4's and you just carry everything home in both of them.

11 hours ago, Saramouse257 said:

I prefer the Moto for most everything. It's better on gas it collides with less items/terrain (though I think they said they fixed this I can't confirm as I am just set in my ways with the moto and haven't tried the 4x4 yet.) So for most cases and uses the Moto is the vehicle I prefer. But I have friends who juts really like the 4x4 because of its storage and it allows them to drive around with a friend.

HOWEVER

I will say the 4x4 is Great if you and a a friend are doing trader quest and you want to double clear some poi's. The extra inventory space here allows you to take back a ton more items to sell or build up your stock. Also it's pretty funny to go through some t5 poi's when you and your friend both roll up with 4x4's and you just carry everything home in both of them.

well all vehicles behave same .. random trash no longer stops you  like it used to but big things like rocks   trees or simple terrain blocks will stop you

if you have friend  you can craft two motorcycles  equaling 4x4  on  gas and storage  thats probablyt he problem ;)  and two motos are even cheaper to craft as far i remember

Can you pick up the 4x4 (and the gyrocopter) and put it in your tool belt/backpack like the bicycle & motorcycle? (I'm not sure about the minibike, I don't like it as it's annoyingly loud & doesn't seem much faster than the bicycle. 

I have yet to craft the 4x4 but I do love the motorcycle. The only place I find it getting stuck is hitting the iron piles in the wasteland. Other than that it pretty much goes over everything. 

Obviously not shopping carts, boulders, etc.

Overall like, all of the vehicles have some niche/purpose other than the Minibike TBH. I find the Minibike to be really useless unless you're playing on a slowed-progression challenge or get one for reduced cost (find one of the parts for free). It's barely faster than the bicycle, is strictly worse than the motorcycle (other than using a mostly negligible amount less gas iirc), and if you're not building INT by the time you find the minibike parts you're probably also able to find Motorcycle parts, in the trader if nowhere else.

The bicycle is still useful later on because it's nearly silent and requires no fuel, which is useful in specific scenarios. The motorcycle is the best for general transport, the 4x4 is best for big looting runs, and the Gyro is best for special-purpose stuff.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:58 AM, alanea said:

i defintiely never seen  army jeep  with ductaped workbench /alchemy station /whatever on top

did you know that 3d printing was originally invented by the US army, as they wanted to 3d print parts and such out on the field with a truck :D?

I think the gyro is by far the best vehicle. It's so much faster than everything else and the best bonus is that you don't have to get annoyed with running into something and grinding to a halt like with other vehicles. Motorcycle would be next as i like the speed/size/storage combo. 4x4 is good if you have a lot of crap to move. Minibike is last for me since I personally rarely even bother making a bike.

2 hours ago, Kalen said:

lately, I've been putting my 4x4 in my backpack and using the copter to fly to a POI.... then I use the 4x4 to carry stuff back.   Makes half the trip smooth!

You have a big backpack sir!

Nice idea tho. 

As for the 4x4 its my fav but i go non vanilla and edit the speeds so the 4x4 is the fastest so i have a good reason to get it. Also gave it more torque (forgot how, but it feels that way) so its actually the all terrain vehicle advertised and funny enough i tend to get caught on terrain more on the bike than the 4x4.

Unless youre sitting on recommended requirements or below cant see any reason not to edit the vehicles to make em faster as  i think the reason they are so slow imo is performance

Archived