7d2d leaving alpha soon?

Feycat

Is there an actual date for this? Saw Guude Boulderfist on Twitter say that it shares a release date with Grounded for leaving alpha, but I can't find that info anywhere? It's not REALLY leaving alpha at this point, surely?

55 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

When it´s ready. I rather have a another 2 years of alpha than a bugfest or badly optimized game at release. There is way too many premature releases in the gaming industry already. We don´t need another one.

I mean, honestly read the other posts? It was a joke that I fell for.

Also? I'm not even sure I'll play this game when it goes gold, lol. I live for the new alphas changing the game up!

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

When it´s ready. I rather have a another 2 years of alpha than a bugfest or badly optimized game at release. There is way too many premature releases in the gaming industry already. We don´t need another one.

To be fair, why are we assuming that 7D2D has not been released yet? This game can be bought on steam for example at a price of a regular game. If it didn't say "alpha" at various points no one would think that this game is still in development apart from some common updates here and then like a lot of games get.

What will change once "alpha" ends and the game is supposed to be complete? Since when do you have to pay for becoming an alpha tester?

20 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

What will change once "alpha" ends and the game is supposed to be complete? Since when do you have to pay for becoming an alpha tester?

There's a bright blue box with larger font right in the middle of store page that tells you it's early access... you can't miss it.

What changes is no more updates.
I prefer to think of it as I purchased the game ahead of time, and at a much cheaper cost. I got this for less than $10 back when I bought it.
I bought three more copies over the summer sale for friends. It was -66%, so somewhere around $8.50 per copy.
A game worth hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of entertainment for the cost of lunch (a cheap lunch).

Nobody forces me to play my early purchase. I could just set it aside and wait until it's done... but I prefer to watch the game evolve through the years. I don't own a ton of games... about 50, and I would say about half of those are early access. Some I haven't even launched yet, but I picked them up in their initial days dirt cheap and I know they will be worth the money when I do play them. After all, if I pick up a game for 10 bucks, and all I get out of it is 10 hours of gameplay, then $1/hr of entertainment is worth it.  Very few of them have I paid more than $10 for and those are AAA titles that I have loved for years such as DOOM.

Another thing that I expect would change is the cost. It's 25 bucks right now I believe. I wouldn't doubt that at the time of release it goes up to around $40 for at least a year afterward. When that happens, anybody buying it at full retail cost can be assured that the likelihood of the game being good is much greater because it went through years of actual players playing the game before it was officially released. So, even then, it will be worth the money. People spend hundreds of dollars every year on cable TV, renting and buying music and movies, and even going to theaters to watch movies. The cost of this game and the hours you get out of it is huge in comparison to these other sources of entertainment.

12 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

To be fair, why are we assuming that 7D2D has not been released yet? This game can be bought on steam for example at a price of a regular game. If it didn't say "alpha" at various points no one would think that this game is still in development apart from some common updates here and then like a lot of games get.

What will change is that before release there will be a longer bug fix period. While it never will be bug free it will be much more polished. We became accustomed to all the small bugs and imbalances by now, but this isn't the norm. "Backpack dropped through the world? Oh yeah, use creative, no problem."

But the biggest change will be the stability of the modding interface. This means there will be a large group of mods that are well polished, complete, final and generally usable even after a bug fix patch from TFP.

16 minutes ago, Kirtonos said:

My main desire for alpha to end is so the alpha defense against any criticism can be dropped by the forum white knights. I mean, we're 7 years into early access.

7. Years. 

You won't like the other defense arguments either. 😉

By the way, once this game is out of EA nobody will care anymore about criticism you bring up because the game is done and finished, with all warts and holes.  Maybe historians will read your pamphlet and you might be able to prevent a few steam users from buying the game.

11 minutes ago, Kirtonos said:

My main desire for alpha to end is so the alpha defense against any criticism can be dropped by the forum white knights. I mean, we're 7 years into early access.

7. Years. 

7 years or 100, it is still early access and things are still subject to change or in development. "In development" meaning that they are aren't finished or polished,

1 hour ago, Kirtonos said:

7. Years. 

Go play something buginfested from Bethesda. Then think again. Also small company working on their first game. I mean really? You rather have a buggy game that you can critize without any counter arguments than a well done game. Some people...

22 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Kirtonos said:

7. Years. 

Yeah, I know. I mean, you have AAA companies with near-unlimited budgets, and hundreds of developers working on a big title, and it takes on average 7-9 years to build a large game from scratch. Why can't a small indie company funded off a kickstarter with only a few developers do that?

@Madnesis Still better than playing a bugfest that get´s abandoned as soon as it is released.

@PoloPoPo You don´t seem to understand the concept of early access. It exists so developers can make money to finish a game. No one forced you to buy it, you don´t like paying (way less than for the finished product) for it? Don´t do it. There is a wall of text in the steam shop, right under the video and directly above the buy button, that explains very clearly what early access is. You should inform yourself before spending money...

Aside from the fact it is insanely selfish of me and hurts the poor dev team, I don't want the game to ever leave alpha.

Alpha means active development.  Alpha means frequent large changes and new systems to explore.  Alpha means that the old stale game in a19 will again be something that might be worth playing another 100 hours in a20.  Alpha means the game is still alive and getting better.  Alpha means that if I hate the changes, the previous alpha I liked better is still available for me to revert back to at any time so the game cannot possibly, under any circumstances, get worse.  The worst it can do is stay the same.

IOW, this game is fantastic in its current alpha form.  This is not true for all alpha games IMHO - many are not worth the @%$*#! pain of imbalance, bugs and incomplete systems to bother with.  This is NOT one of those examples though.  Should 7 Days release tomorrow it will be one of the best games in my steam library and worth every penny of a AAA title price tag (even though it does not have one).  Release day will be a sad day IMHO, it will mean the end of changes bringing me back over and over again even after the game gets rather stale.

17 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

Aside from the fact it is insanely selfish of me and hurts the poor dev team, I don't want the game to ever leave alpha.

Alpha means active development.  Alpha means frequent large changes and new systems to explore.  Alpha means that the old stale game in a19 will again be something that might be worth playing another 100 hours in a20.  Alpha means the game is still alive and getting better.  Alpha means that if I hate the changes, the previous alpha I liked better is still available for me to revert back to at any time so the game cannot possibly, under any circumstances, get worse.  The worst it can do is stay the same.

IOW, this game is fantastic in its current alpha form.  This is not true for all alpha games IMHO - many are not worth the @%$*#! pain of imbalance, bugs and incomplete systems to bother with.  This is NOT one of those examples though.  Should 7 Days release tomorrow it will be one of the best games in my steam library and worth every penny of a AAA title price tag (even though it does not have one).  Release day will be a sad day IMHO, it will mean the end of changes bringing me back over and over again even after the game gets rather stale.

Pretty much me, tbh. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2020 at 4:51 PM, SylenThunder said:

Yeah, I know. I mean, you have AAA companies with near-unlimited budgets, and hundreds of developers working on a big title, and it takes on average 7-9 years to build a large game from scratch. Why can't a small indie company funded off a kickstarter with only a few developers do that?

They do have unlimited funding, they claim 10 million copies sold on steam, so let's be conservative and disregard the current price of $24.99, lets assume the average price per copy was at $15 with the sales and such, thats $10.50 a copy after Valve takes the 30% cut, so totalling $105 million, this is after already getting $500K of KS funding and before counting any keys sold on other sites where Valve doesn't get a cut, under the assumption all 10 million copies are sold on steam. But even if I go with an extremely conservative estimate of only $5 per copy of the game sold after Valve's 30% cut, that is still a whopping $50 million.

Disclimer: I am a kickstarter backer and I am biased and pissed off at the developer. Since there has been no progress related update on KS since Janurary 2019, they are not responding to any questions from backers on KS, and they've been selling the game cheaper than those who backed the game on KS for alpha access, and apparently no backers has received anything except those who got the tiers with Alpha access. (i.e No merchandise, even after they announced merchandise start selling in Janurary 2019)

Archived