Trash: the gift and the curse

Psychodabble

As everybody knows, the worlds of 7dtd are quite dirty. Whether you play on Navezgane or RWG, there are trash piles absolutely everywhere.

I love them. The fact that the loot table for trash piles includes just about everything under the sun is amazing. 90% of the time there's nothing noteworthy in there or nothing at all, but 10% of the time there's good stuff in the trash and sometimes it's downright amazing. The map is literally littered with loot boxes and the rush from opening them is real.

Of course, this means we also have deal with the controversial downside of loot boxes: addiction. I'm totally addicted to trash. When I'm riding along trying to get back to the trader to turn in my quest and grab a new one before he closes, I have to wrestle with myself not to stop and search every pile of trash I pass. If I am not under imminent threat of being murdered or missing some important deadline, I search every trash bag I come across. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Now, I play with loot respawn off and destroy trash after I've searched it to reduce being compelled to search already empty containers. I can only imagine how bad this feels for people who play with loot respawn and feel compelled to go back to the same trash bags again and again over the course of a game.

How do you feel about the double-edged sword of trash?

You are not alone.  Although I am not as addicted...I know my brother is and is at least aware about.  He finds it amusing that he drives down the road and stops every 10 meters to harvest animal remains for rotting meat lol...

Regarding trash, I definitely go out of my way to loot them when I'm not in a hurry.  At least early game.  Those sewing kits and lock picks are juicy dopamine hits lolol...

22 minutes ago, myrkana said:

I've found skill books and recipes in those trash piles, they are the #1 reason I have to leave a building to go back to base or my vehicle xD 

Forgot about those...but what is even sweeter are those mailboxes....its like a nice welcoming present when arriving at a house POI... 😅

3 hours ago, Psychodabble said:

As everybody knows, the worlds of 7dtd are quite dirty. Whether you play on Navezgane or RWG, there are trash piles absolutely everywhere.

I love them. The fact that the loot table for trash piles includes just about everything under the sun is amazing. 90% of the time there's nothing noteworthy in there or nothing at all, but 10% of the time there's good stuff in the trash and sometimes it's downright amazing. The map is literally littered with loot boxes and the rush from opening them is real.

Of course, this means we also have deal with the controversial downside of loot boxes: addiction. I'm totally addicted to trash. When I'm riding along trying to get back to the trader to turn in my quest and grab a new one before he closes, I have to wrestle with myself not to stop and search every pile of trash I pass. If I am not under imminent threat of being murdered or missing some important deadline, I search every trash bag I come across. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Now, I play with loot respawn off and destroy trash after I've searched it to reduce being compelled to search already empty containers. I can only imagine how bad this feels for people who play with loot respawn and feel compelled to go back to the same trash bags again and again over the course of a game.

How do you feel about the double-edged sword of trash?

You want Jax's mod that makes them auto vanish after looting then, it's wonderful. :)

1 minute ago, JCrook1028 said:

You want Jax's mod that makes them auto vanish after looting then, it's wonderful. :)

That would probably save me a lot of hassle, but I've decided not to use mods until release. That's a good one to keep in mind for when the time comes though.

5 hours ago, Laz Man said:

You are not alone.  Although I am not as addicted...I know my brother is and is at least aware about.  He finds it amusing that he drives down the road and stops every 10 meters to harvest animal remains for rotting meat lol...

Regarding trash, I definitely go out of my way to loot them when I'm not in a hurry.  At least early game.  Those sewing kits and lock picks are juicy dopamine hits lolol...

I harvest the rotting remains as well, as for the roads, if it's a well traveled road, I'll probably destroy the trash after looting, because it's never going to respawn anyway.

But yeah, lockpicks, skill books, I'll go out of my way to search some 7D2D trash bags.  In this game, dumpster diving is a must!

The devs knew what they were doing by adding skill books to the game, now we are all trash junkies lol.

...AND...It just makes it worse that some of the new trash containers look like old AMAZON.com boxes waiting to be opened....WHATS INSIDE!!! lol

5 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Are you sure he is not after the Bones? Bones are a major bottleneck lategame. It's wise to hit every carcass you come across.

1 hour ago, Ghostlight said:

Are you sure he is not after the Bones? Bones are a major bottleneck lategame. It's wise to hit every carcass you come across.

Bones are no longer the only source of glue. Super Corn can also be converted into glue. With a big garden, you'll never have a shortage of glue again.

@RipClaw Well, it´s pretty rare tough. If you don´t have the POI with grace, good luck finding it. Very rare that i got super corn in the first two or three weeks when i didn´t stumle across Bob´s boars. Also rotten flesh. We do love our hobo stew...

I play with no lootrespawn in SP so there the trash doesn´t matter. But on MP with respawn, it can be time consuming to check every single piece of trash. At a certain point i stop doing that tough. I will hop from the bicycle and the minibike for it mostly. But once i have a motorcycle i don´t stop for every piece anymore. Still will loot every trash 50m around the POI i am gonna loot...

I can't stop looting nests like I'm a 6 year old on Easter looking for eggs. It takes me forever to get anywhere because "BUT WHAT IF THIS ONE HAS AN EGG IN IT?!" moreso than I am distracted by trash. I always have more feathers than the collective hair of all white people in the 80s.

3 hours ago, wizard puke said:

I can't stop looting nests like I'm a 6 year old on Easter looking for eggs. It takes me forever to get anywhere because "BUT WHAT IF THIS ONE HAS AN EGG IN IT?!" moreso than I am distracted by trash. I always have more feathers than the collective hair of all white people in the 80s.

Yeah, the FOMO on eggs is real too. I manage to skip nests more than trash though. We definitely need a sink for feathers beyond arrows/bolts.

10 hours ago, myrkana said:

I've found skill books and recipes in those trash piles, they are the #1 reason I have to leave a building to go back to base or my vehicle xD 

Yup, I've found way too many skill books in trash piles to ignore them.

5 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@RipClaw Well, it´s pretty rare tough. If you don´t have the POI with grace, good luck finding it. Very rare that i got super corn in the first two or three weeks when i didn´t stumle across Bob´s boars. Also rotten flesh. We do love our hobo stew...

It's true that super corn only exists in one POI, but this POI seems to be one of the 500 POIs that exist according to the developers on every map. For example I looked at the prefabs.xml file of the three pregen maps and found it multiple times on each map. On my map I found it four times.

4 hours ago, RipClaw said:

It's true that super corn only exists in one POI, but this POI seems to be one of the 500 POIs that exist according to the developers on every map. For example I looked at the prefabs.xml file of the three pregen maps and found it multiple times on each map. On my map I found it four times.

Yeah well, still need those bones until i get there. We played pregen 01 for 35 days before b173 hit and we had to stop (thx nitrado, again, for not updating...). Explored quite a bit, no bob´s boars so far. No matter if it is on every map, point still stands, you need to stop for bones and flesh. Not gonna waste time looking for one building when the things i need are lying on the ground everywhere.

I too suffer from this addiction. My wife often stops looting them after day 1 or 2, but I don't stop until I get a motorcycle, and even then I make sure to clear all of them in and around whatever POI I am looting. You never know what cool thing you are going to find in there!

Yeah i've often stated to my friends how undervalued the trash loot are. I swear if they looked like chests the world would seem filled with amazing loot ! The new models are a welcome change, and they have reduced the frequency quite a bit so it's not as obnoxious as it used to be.

Birdnests on the other hand could use a slight rebalance imo. There are way too many of them to the point feathers are a non-issue even as a 3 man team. I wish there would be less of them but with an increased chance of containing an egg to compensate.

Oh yeah and remove the chance of getting plant fibers when destroying them, it's sooooo boring having to throw them out of my backpack all the time haha.

3 hours ago, beHypE said:

*snip*

Oh yeah and remove the chance of getting plant fibers when destroying them, it's sooooo boring having to throw them out of my backpack all the time haha.

This.
The game could use an item blacklist of some sort. Just a good ol' QoL improvement.
Imagine if you could press R to loot all except that one item you don't want or destroy the piles of shattered glass in POIs without getting the 95 % of the time toss-away broken glass.

On topic of trash talk; I loot all the trash piles in and next to POIs but rarely the ones on roads or out in the wilderness.
Gotta get my daily duct tape fix from somewhere. ☺️

The problem I have is that I now see trash and trash bins in the real world, and must resist the urge to start digging through them. I just stare with a mixture of longing and hunger at them for a half second or so. People I hang out with have noticed, and I've seen them giving me odd looks. I may be starting to become paranoid as a result.

Archived