The AI need to evolve in order for this game to survive.

Deanster

35 minutes ago, Teacyn said:

Either you perfectly deflect the storm with an exploit base or severely overpowered gear, or you get demolished and potentially weeks of in-game work is destroyed in one night.

There are options in between these extremes. I have seen them with my own eyes.

NO i personally dont think the AI should be changed zombies are meant o be dumb not resident evil levels of genius you want a harder game go play a mod for the game theres several that make the base game Alot harder. Im sick of people whining about not liking something and it ruins it for those of us that like the game the way it is

12 hours ago, Dracula said:

it's roughly 100 stories down in some cases, yet they still dig for it and smash away at my hatch.

How are you building your bunker? Right below your hatch? If so then your doing it wrong. I set mine away from hatch and have never had zombir beat on my hatch, unless he was following me when I went thru it. 

My first playthrough on A19 was bunker and had no issues, until I got chunk error(I called it cave in, in game) and it was all gone.

It is getting better. I whacked a dog upside the head it ran off and waited until I was engaged with a z before attacking again. First time I've seen that. I think the zombie AI is working just fine. They're not supposed to be very smart and they're only dangerous when your unable to maneuver or there are a lot of them.

The zeds should be more unpredictable. 

Not just everybody to attack the weakest spot.

Also they should run around the player if they are in a group. Or just attack the player. 

Also, other cool additions like climbing... 

We'll see. The new special infected zeds are coming, and with them massive changes in AI

Making "smart" AI and getting rid of UMA really killed this game pve wise. Remember times where you could have 100+ archetypes (different looking zombies wearing different sets of clothing) and above 200+ of them on screen same time? Yeah, it is not there anymore.

Edit: Ah yeah, also remember making crossbowmen / rocket launching zombies that actually worked?

(crappier example, but you could adjust dmg etc.)

It is the same discussion over and over. If you want to exploit hordenight, just turn it off.
Fixing exploits is fataals job after all! And I am thankful how much he has improved them from A18.

Look here

Anyone claiming that exploits are the fault of the user are either drunk or have not thought about the implication.
YES it is an alpha and I do not blame TFPs for the game not beeing perfect. But what I am talking about is people complaining that exploits got removed.
IT IS A SURVIVAL GAME WITH HORDENIGHTS AS THE MAIN FOCUS! If you dislike the hordenight just deactivate it.

But if someone is trying to challenge themselves and exploits are easily possible, then the challenge becomes meaningless. "Not using" it is like handicapping yourself to make it harder. It makes no sense, since all the joy you would get from getting over the challenge hinges on you, not the game anymore.

I DON'T CARE HOW YOU PLAY! I just don't want MY game to be full of exploits, since it is not a challenge anymore. If you want to deactivate hordenight, thats fine with me. But don't complain that the devs try to keep up the challenge. Go play minecraft if you dislike survival please. It sounds meaner than it is meant to be. But exploits are a sideproduct of such a complex world. THEY ARE NOT A FEATURE YOU CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT WHEN IT IS REMOVED!!!

22 hours ago, Deanster said:

When the game came out people were constantly struggling to survive and barely holding it, this is how the game was meant to be played, then some smartass found a way to exploit the AI and of course youtubers and streamers help spread the dirt for their own gains, and ever since it has not been a survival game, we see pyramids and moats all over built to exploit the weakness in the ai,  i propose we do the same they did with conan when people did that, we evolve the ai.

And the way to do this is make them able to climb fast and also jump enough for them to never be trapped or stuck in places, if they can do that then people have no way to to exploit the ai like now, they will have to put in the hard work or die. I'm sick and tired of seeing people hide behind their cheat buildings, it's time to evolve the ai so people can see how its meant to be played, not locked safely behind a building but keeping the ai at bay with teamwork and dedication like before.

You can still however funnel or delay them enough to survive, that is the point of the game not to exploit the ai.

Allow me to introduce myself, Im currently learning how to break the A19 ai and I do this on every patch this game has made. :D
Currently, if you actually make zeds fall 2 blocks via stairs, you can actually manage to make them fall off your tower and run back up without triggering the 'fall protocol' which is stand up and attack foundation till despawned. (With bonus block damage)

Thing is, in IRL zeds would be just as dumb if not even worse. :D Pathing the zeds like we do is not just smart its common sense. You wouldnt want to risk your life defending an unsafe location would you!? :D

Be happy! The A19 ai changes made it so you have to allow them to path to you or else they just merc your base. :D :D :D Too bad ai is still hella abusable and were nerfed to about 33% HP lmfao

Zeds wont even path a single block jump now unless the player is DIRECTLY within reach after the jump. OTherwise, they ignore and break thru walls instead.

The reason the AI improves at all is because they can watch us break it and adapt their stategy to ours. Its a very long and involved game we play.
Did you even consider how many dozens of hours and time it takes to learn AI pathing without reading the code for it? lololol.
We do the work you hate to improve the thing you love. x'D

PS: I file ai abuses as bugs when confirmed. :p

6 hours ago, Dethar said:

How are you building your bunker? Right below your hatch? If so then your doing it wrong. I set mine away from hatch and have never had zombir beat on my hatch, unless he was following me when I went thru it. 

My first playthrough on A19 was bunker and had no issues, until I got chunk error(I called it cave in, in game) and it was all gone.

It used to have a shorter lead-in; now that I give it a city-block length pathway it works fine now that I've built a solid block tunnel/structure underground instead of a "cave" but I'll still find zombies digging at my base area on horde night.

I like to wait for them to all spawn in then get them to follow me in a conga line and snipe them off trying to get as many with the same shot as possible.

9 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Go play minecraft if you dislike survival please.

LOL...a game where broken exploits to farm hostiles with zero risk become Jira bug reports actively fixed by developers! "Hey, I can't trick Creepers into spawning into this tiny room where my traps kill them any more!"

"Bug #5572 has been logged."

Too much conga and i agree with the guy who said it was more fun when they came from all sides. Is it not possible to get a high % of the Zs to* enter destroy all mode as a default instead of when their pathing is broken?

I understand the ai is pretty dumb most of the time but dude if you're complaining about the cheat bases DONT USE them it's that simple, instead of looking at all the many flaws enjoy the game for what it is, who cares what other people are building to get views, and they are dumb zombies they shouldnt be able to jump and climb like spiders that would ruin the game you would never be able to get away from them. If there's a game there will me hacks, cheats, mods etc, don't ruin the game because you're not happy with an exploit.

If they could just tear through bases like warm butter and climb anything and just topple the base you've worked so hard on with ease it would present the opposite problem and a lot of people would hate it. It would completely ruin the tower defense style aspect of horde night. if you don't like ai exploits then don't do it. or find or make a server where others feel the same as you. i have been building the same style bases since I started on a10 or so. a beefy tower surrounded by spikes or a moat where i shoot down at them. It gets damaged and I have fun on horde nights. that's what I enjoy so thats what I do. Do you think that if there were zombies in real life people wouldn't exploit their lack of intelligence?

On 7/8/2020 at 9:19 AM, Deanster said:

When the game came out people were constantly struggling to survive and barely holding it, this is how the game was meant to be played, then some smartass found a way to exploit the AI and of course youtubers and streamers help spread the dirt for their own gains, and ever since it has not been a survival game, we see pyramids and moats all over built to exploit the weakness in the ai,  i propose we do the same they did with conan when people did that, we evolve the ai.

And the way to do this is make them able to climb fast and also jump enough for them to never be trapped or stuck in places, if they can do that then people have no way to to exploit the ai like now, they will have to put in the hard work or die. I'm sick and tired of seeing people hide behind their cheat buildings, it's time to evolve the ai so people can see how its meant to be played, not locked safely behind a building but keeping the ai at bay with teamwork and dedication like before.

You can still however funnel or delay them enough to survive, that is the point of the game not to exploit the ai.

Then why even build anything. What you are proposing would make any base made in this game absolutely pointless. All the time and effort to gather resources would be supreme futility. If they never get stuck and jump enough to never be trapped how do you propose to funnel or delay them, genius? Anything you build as an obstacle will be hurdled in a single bound with the super powers you want to give them!

So do we need to start some super soldier program for animals in the real world because hunters have been exploiting their habits and patterns for centuries?

Figuring out a preys tendencies and using it against them is actually how hunting works and is one of the reasons why the human race has thrived throughout history. Really think it applies here as well. Its just common sense.

Complaining about how someone else plays the game and claiming it ruins your experience is the most entitled thing I have ever heard anyone say. Your experience is defined by what you do. Not Charlie down the street. If you are not enjoying your game experience you need to change what you do. I envision you standing outside on your street yelling at the neighbors claiming the color they painted their house is ruining your experience, and or, happiness in yours. Get over yourself, dude!

Lastly, I will actually one up you using your own argument structure. I propose that a game that lets a rotting flesh hand punch through concrete and steel is actually exploiting the players and throws the game into unrealistic territory.

guys this neverending topic is around every alpha :D

1 -  7th day is supposed to be  challenge  to survive  = if theres any way  to avoid it   .. digging ..  riding...  or abusing bugs in ai  ... anything = its basically cheating to avoid main game  feature    why  even build   some glitchy base  instead  disabling  hordes .. or even zombies altogether

2 -   you dont have to cheat/stuck ai /hide under mommy skirt  or even abuse game bugs like immortal barbed wire under garage doors  on 7th days  nope ... day  200+ horde on 200+ character with  0 deaths  is easily defendable  on survivalist with almost  zero material loss (just save some ammo for horde and small amount of concrete /steel /electric parts  for repairs  after horde)

zombies are no longer as stupid as in a16  they wont change any building  to swiss cheese for no reason 

everyone can just keep valid entrance to keep base untouched and use all tools  pimps gave us ...   we have

OP electric fences  -   that can  turn any zombie into headshot practice easyt o craft .. almost free to repair

very effective blade traps -  yes  they lose durability but cost /damage ratio is insane

note :  keep in mind  fence can be  14 tiles long  and only end point takes damage while used ... startomg point  doesnt  have to be accesible

dart traps  that can basically instakill anything in game if several guard one tile sure they cost iron .. but they are  perfect measure to eliminate any zombie that get past  " killbox" and there is no other long term iron sink 

concrete walls : everything  can be made from concrete with very little effort .. stones are basically junk material from mining and  only reason  we dont throw them away is free concrete....   5k hp  wall from stone repaired   by stone ?  yes please   +2k hp  from steel block is almost never needed   + complicates  repair

make ramp  .. make tunnel .. make stairs to heaven  ... anything can work   zombies grouped toone place are  500% easier to deal with

iron spikes  =  very damaging ..  very durable   not great for defense itself ( no xp + expensive)  2 block high iron spikesnext to base walls will kill any lone  confused  /enraged zombie  that might decide attack wall behind (  yes  two  of those can kill even irradiated feral)    as long as serve as additional protection for wall maitnance is low  to none

important note :  never ever defend anythign with shotgun  demolishers are harmless and squishy when people aim for head ... but  shotgun is basically suicide

note2 :  dont bother with  1/4  1/8  blocks  or iron bars  for firing spot ...   classic block  + plate on top  is just as effective as 1/4   1/8  and offer better view for  zombies ..  any block  no matter shape takes whole  1x1 spot

all you need guys is to ask .. "how beatgame mechanism"  instead "  how cheat  so i dont have to deal with that"

tools are there and game isnt hard

4 hours ago, BlopsDoctor said:

So do we need to start some super soldier program for animals in the real world because hunters have been exploiting their habits and patterns for centuries?

Lastly, I will actually one up you using your own argument structure. I propose that a game that lets a rotting flesh hand punch through concrete and steel is actually exploiting the players and throws the game into unrealistic territory.

well unlike animals ... zombies exist in  7 days to provide challenge  immersion  is secondary to balance ...  now we have  quite easy defense game (for average player who learned basics) with no major loses  on 7th days  would 

you prefer game where you build  2x2x2  concrete cube and laught  how "rotten meat" punch it whole night  for no damage while you shoot/smash  them from top ?

i think you  clealry bought  wrong game ... this is horror survival rpg   not "the sims"

zombies are  the only challenge/danger/enemy in this game  blood moon exists to force you to confront them (wandering  hordes are easy to dodge +  even at high gamestages usually mean just group of slow walker)

if they cant reach you due to bugs / flawed ai ... especially during blood moon ir makes them irrelevant and boring and degrade game to  3year + creative  building game

The only way to play this game, is permadeath. You CAN play it without but you're cheating yourself. The difficulty of the ai, the food, the everything ONLY feels perfection with permadeath. 

If there's an issue with you not dying when you think you should, then by all means crank up the difficulty. Do it from the start though, with a permadeath playthrough. High difficulty early on making planning damn near impossible. If blood moon isn't tough then your zeds per player 100% need adjustment. Straighten that it real quick.

If your actual issue is that you don't want to touch the settings to customize your playthrough then idk what to tell you. This game takes imagination. If you don't care for role-playing then i would say you won't enjoy this game past 50 hours of playing. Still a great deal compared to purchase price, especially if on sale.

On 7/8/2020 at 4:41 PM, gaffers said:

I've found a client-side workaround for this AI problem that could save the development team a huge amount of time that could be spent elsewhere;

Start a game as normal - any difficulty setting will do. 

Build a base as you normally would. The materials you use don't matter.

Now, and I stress that you need to follow krunker io this next part EXACTLY, otherwise the AI fix won't work;

Don't build exploits in your base

If you follow these steps, you should find that the AI pathing issues resolve themselves and you get the survival experience you're looking for.

I still believe in teamwork for this game i just want a true survival experience without cutting corners. It heavily effect my online experience when others cheat death and i try to find a server that just survive, but most use these moat buildings in reality.

12 hours ago, Mjgoldsby said:

The only way to play this game, is permadeath. You CAN play it without but you're cheating yourself. The difficulty of the ai, the food, the everything ONLY feels perfection with permadeath. 

If there's an issue with you not dying when you think you should, then by all means crank up the difficulty. Do it from the start though, with a permadeath playthrough. High difficulty early on making planning damn near impossible. If blood moon isn't tough then your zeds per player 100% need adjustment. Straighten that it real quick.

If your actual issue is that you don't want to touch the settings to customize your playthrough then idk what to tell you. This game takes imagination. If you don't care for role-playing then i would say you won't enjoy this game past 50 hours of playing. Still a great deal compared to purchase price, especially if on sale.

err lol ?   7 days  isnt permadeath game   tou cant cheat something that isnt in game

you really ned to ramp up difficulty

sure game is rather easy  if you are carefull (  even tho difficulty allows  you to double zombie damage and  cut your to half )

but  its extremely crappy for permadeath play as most dangerous things are   90% rng based ( even more in random map where you can suddeny fall to bedrock on flat terrain .... and  if you dont restart after updates even have  wrongly generated poi after reseting with quest (  ver seen cathedral cellar  where part of cellar missing and spawned zombies fall into endless hole under it ?:D

but yeah most dangerous things

1) early game dogs   100% RNG based danger

2) landmine  you missed (mistake inside poi)     but  99% rng when we have biome generating  mines randomly on ground dealing easily  200+ dmg unless you have maxed armor

3) wrongly generated car = in rwg  car can  generate slightly clipped into ground it may be barely noticeable  but such car can explode while harvested

4) if you mine in tight spaces and manage to get certain shape of rock  you can glitch into it  and  get instakilled

5) random zombie punching car / barrel  or even you accidentaly shoting it = usually  1 hit

6) some places in rwg(no idea about navez) can have untargetable zombies or rather glitched poi   with places where zombies behave as if they had no  hitbox at all  but if you  flee 10-20 blocks away they can be normally killed

7) mines in wasteland biome  can spawn hiden behind / under other trash and even for normal mines  the only way to avoid them entirely in wasteland .. is to  win lottery and get one rare magazine early OR  spend  all your  movement staring on floor 1-2 blocks in front of you otherwise its  matter of time when you dont notice some mineand die with   100+ hp

nope  7 day isnt permadeath game and will never be several game mechanics/ bugs make sure  you can die  whenever rng jesus decide   if you want roguelike experience .. feel free to it  but its your desing (more likely copied from several youtubers/streamers) but definitely not way how is game meant to be played

if you call " playing game as intended"  "cheating"   then your processing software need  few more alphas before release

12 hours ago, Lisa888 said:

I still believe in teamwork for this game i just want a true survival experience without cutting corners. It heavily effect my online experience when others cheat death and i try to find a server that just survive, but most use these moat buildings in reality.

luckily 7 days isnt too online friendly game ...  you can have  99,9% same experience on own  world with few friends - griefing/cheating/lag issues

On 7/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, Deanster said:

I knew someone would post about simply not using it, but i do not play singleplayer, i play online where you do not have such options what others do with their buildings. It heavily effect my online experience when others cheat death and i try to find a server that just survive, but most use these moat buildings in reality.

I still believe in teamwork for this game i just want a true survival experience without cutting corners.

Then I guess you love the vulture missiles that home in and wreck everything including the 4x4 when you try to do a realistic thing and run away from the horde in your "true survival experience" what a damn joke.

12 hours ago, Mjgoldsby said:

Exactly, they should use the difficulty slider they already have to make the game insane for the masochists that like that crap, instead of making the default settings to insane for Permadeath players. I like the idea of as long as I am careful/smart there is a chance of surviving for a long time. Now they have vulture missiles that home in a wreck any vehicle, just in case you were to do something realistic and try to bail on a horde gone wrong. They are slowly killing this game, which is a damn shame really.

2 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

snip

Horde night vultures suck now. Due to a wrong button press on my part, I ended up in my spike field. Ran to my minibike to get some distance to heal and then get back to base. Never got back to base. So many damn vultures that were faster than my minibike and completely obscured vision to the point that I couldn't see anything but feathers. I wasn't planning to ditch and run to avoid the horde, just needed time to do some healing. If this is the new normal, will definitely look for mods to adjust them or remove them altogether. 

I agree that the game should be more difficult in some ways, but that should just be a setting in the setup.
If you want a survival challenge you should just adjust it the settings.
A solution to that problem would be more zombies overall.
But I’m afraid many of the user’s computers couldn't manage that.

2 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

Then I guess you love the vulture missiles that home in and wreck everything including the 4x4 when you try to do a realistic thing and run away from the horde in your "true survival experience" what a damn joke.

Exactly, they should use the difficulty slider they already have to make the game insane for the masochists that like that crap, instead of making the default settings to insane for Permadeath players. I like the idea of as long as I am careful/smart there is a chance of surviving for a long time. Now they have vulture missiles that home in a wreck any vehicle, just in case you were to do something realistic and try to bail on a horde gone wrong. They are slowly killing this game, which is a damn shame really.

are you surprised ? bloodmoon is major game feature  gost they even named game  and build it around it 

thats  why they fight against any way to avoid it by glitching cheesing

whats  wron

difficulty slider is quite wide  to both sides  normal is actually noob friendly ..  even begginers  can handle  both normal gameplay and blood moons  if they learn few basics / tips  .. sure they can die but thats part of game   7days used to be way harder     if its too hard for you  decrease difficulty ... iam sure you can handle  7 day hordes  with wooden club in open terrain at lowest one

vehicles allowed you to skip whole bloodmoon with  0 effort thats incanely overpowered = they needed to deal with that you met vultures and learned that vehicles are big nope during blood moon = vultures served its purpose

sure they could completely disable use of vehicles .... or kick you out instantly when you try to use them ... or nerf them so zombies can catch you  but they decided to add vultures as simple solution

if  something killing game  its constant  difficulty decrease a17 made game joke   a18 even worse 

- everyone swim in ammo making melee weapons obsolete became  who needs to save ammo with 10k reserve in car

- death is far less punishing than  when you needed  alot high quality food to counter permanent hp loss after every death

- guns are common  in past we prayed for lowest quality pistol and few bullets in toilet

- zombies no longer destroy bases unless you do noob mistake and block all entrances

- blood moon effectively ends with death .. as zombies stop tracking you unless you run to them

(yeah i know they trying to handle some of those with a19)

but  guys  its SURVIVAL game

survive  or  die .. die again ... cry  ... die  again and deal finally with challenge thats whole point  instead  screaming around

"omg i cant drive around horde on  bike and laught to pointless horde"

"omg iam not  safe from horde after buying  40 concrete mixes"

"omg i cant shot every single zombie due to lack of ammo .. i have to  1-2 shot slow zombies with club  .... fix it"

"omg no ak during first week = unplayable"

if i should name largest issue with hordes .. its the fact all zombies behave same  nothing else  like

- spiders climbing random part of base again instead running  with everything else

- random zombie chosing shortest way  ignoring blocks

- random features for  zombies  = 5%  nurses can jump  1 block higher  5%  can jump two block far instead one 5% headless immune to headshots 5% immune to stagger 5% with doubled/trippled  hp  5% immune to electrical damage 5%   ocasionally charge/jump  3-4 blocks

- buff up bleed and infection rate for birds again early a17 was insane a18  bultures are just joke

13 minutes ago, Hubblen said:

I agree that the game should be more difficult in some ways, but that should just be a setting in the setup.
If you want a survival challenge you should just adjust it the settings.
A solution to that problem would be more zombies overall.
But I’m afraid many of the user’s computers couldn't manage that.

well  its alpha optimization usually comes as last thing before release

exactly its survival game thats based on providing challenge for players

is game too hard? constantly dying?  its no longer fun  but rather frustrating gameplay ?  dont make topic on forum ... but tune down difficulty

is game too easy ?   you are not dying  at all ? you didnt barely survived encounter with surprisingly strong boss room at end of poi in last few hours? are you falling asleep during blood moons because killing  5 zombies with single bullet makes it boring ? = ramp difficulty up

we have  pretty advanced acess to game settings ... and all of them can be changed withou ruining save its up to everyone to balance settings  so they feel entertained and challenged but not bored or owerwhelmed

smart zombies are fine ... every way to cheat zombies to be harmless should be eliminated

(actually people trying to break ai are helpfull as they reveal problem and point on it  so it can be solved)

they just need to be bit more variable/random/unpredictable  and less like ... duck family all on same track

Archived