Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

actually it appears to be about everyone else's game, as long as it works on default 100-150% loot that's all that seems to matter, and as long as it works for strength class their is nothing wrong with it. That's what I have gathered. 😉

I'm playing agility with no problems. You have to use your strengths and avoid your weaknesses though.

25 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

It is when you go into a town and there are wolves everywhere and your not even geared. Done it, not on this play though but I have. And I do but it results in half/quarter of my quests having to be cancelled. If you say it will be fixed I believe you, just lead with that.

i mean thats the only thing that "hard" about the snow biome! early game it can be hard but once you get a good gun, melee weapon, Bow and good cloths! it is easy!

who knows what they will do to make it harder!

Frostbite, Harsh snowstorms, Getting you/you're car stuck in snow, More animal spawns like zombie dogs, wolfs, dire wolfs, Bears, Vultures, ETC!

That why i can't wait to see what they will do with the other biomes! like Sandstorms that will tear the skin from you're body!

but i hope they can also add something for the pine forest so noobs will have something to worry about! like Small Snow storms, Dust storms, Heat waves, Cold fronts, and some radiation in some areas like water!

I like the new look for the car lot, also I've never gone out of my way to destroy a lootable object (cars excluded and then only if they were in the road, unless we were really hurting for an engine :D)

But I must say I'm going to have to destroy every dumpster that has the flies at it, that buzzing gets on my nerves, at least the corpse piles don't make much noise when you destroy them, but for the dumpster, I have to wait until I've cleared the POI.

28 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I think you missed my early comment about how loud weapon attract zombies, it creates a snowball effect running down a hill, and honestly if you watch my videos I have to deal with enough of that as it is and they have nightmare speed. It would result in not needing one blunderbuss but a belt full like everyone else does, its also a horrible shot, I am not. Makes no sense for an agility build.

This is why it is problematic to conflate issues for normal play with issues for insane. You complained before that "as long as it works for strength class their is nothing wrong with it". If we assume you meant that generally it simply isn't true, not even in A19. In default difficulty anyone can shoot a blunderbuss and not be overwhelmed

If you meant it only for insane: You say a STR build would work here. But a STR player would attract zombies just as well as an AGI player when shooting a blunderbuss and in early game each shot of the blunderbuss would just have about 10 or 20% more damage per shot. Actually it sounds more like the STR player should use bow and stealth on insane in early game to get through alive.

9 minutes ago, meganoth said:

This is why it is problematic to conflate issues for normal play with issues for insane. You complained before that "as long as it works for strength class their is nothing wrong with it". If we assume you meant that generally it simply isn't true, not even in A19. In default difficulty anyone can shoot a blunderbuss and not be overwhelmed

If you meant it only for insane: You say a STR build would work here. But a STR player would attract zombies just as well as an AGI player when shooting a blunderbuss and in early game each shot of the blunderbuss would just have about 10 or 20% more damage per shot. Actually it sounds more like the STR player should use bow and stealth on insane in early game to get through alive.

Yet if you watch the streams like I do, other permadeath players playing the same diff/speed (they just stack blunderbuss) you'd know this isn't true. There is one that doesn't but he still some what cheeses it to survive when his back is against the wall. A cheeky exploit you guys will never bother to fix. 

49 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

you guys don't want to balance your game, you just want everyone to shut up and take it as it is.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

You just don't want to admit that you are wrong and the game is balanced perfectly fine for the game options you have selected.  Sorry, the answer is still going to be no, they are not going to balance the game around you.  The world does not revolve around you.

If you want a game to revolve around you, go out there and design one ... then let everyone here know so we can come play it and then post on your forums that you haven't designed it correctly for whatever stupid playing decisions we decide to make. And then say you don't know what you're doing and don't want to be responsive to your players.

31 minutes ago, madmole said:

For some reason the bed is a double harvest meaning you are mining the mattress first, then the frame, and there is no special harvest to mining a mattress with an impact. It should just be one event not two IMO.

one hit makes more sense to me, like the double bed, is a simple wrench and done haha.

Oh do you think we might get a sledge turret we can wire to the grid instead of just the robotic one?  if not thats cool i just think it would be a neat thing to mess around with more than 2.

last question (im a pest like the vulture huh)  are we going to be able to wire more generators to the power grids or have bigger generators in the future we can repair?  I would love to be able to run a single circuit and power my whole base while defending the generators from zombies homing in on the heat they produce

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

its too hard for everyone and that's the point, I've actually already done this over experimental, this is just leading up to the video evidence cause I wasn't recording before. Also still alive. Like everyone else am point out the things that stick out, don't add up which nobody else is doing cause they can't handle Insane nightmare let alone 25% loot. I doubt this diff, speed, and settings even get tested. Again as long as it works on default.

It is very subjective when you should start taking on POIs. If I was wired up to an electric chair that went off if I died in a video game I wouldn't be questing or entering POIs super early until I had the best armor and weapons I could craft safely. You can't play the same strategy on insane as you would on adventurer, the amount of preparation and thinking should change dramatically IMO. I'd most likely build a sky base I knew the pathing couldn't reach, or make 10 meter thick steel walls in every direction, with triple lined steel tunnels to the  next 10 meter thick bunker with 10 air locks. It sounds extreme, but if you really want to live you would take extreme measures and change your play style.

There are two ways people can bring up issues. One way is listing them in a concise and polite manner, and the other is wrapping those issues in a cloud of toxicity towards the devs and anyone else who doesn't play on hardcore settings.

One of these is actually helpful and gets taken into consideration. The other gets you ignored by devs and mocked relentlessly by the community.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

It is very subjective when you should start taking on POIs. If I was wired up to an electric chair that went off if I died in a video game I wouldn't be questing or entering POIs super early until I had the best armor and weapons I could craft safely. You can't play the same strategy on insane as you would on adventurer, the amount of preparation and thinking should change dramatically IMO. I'd most likely build a sky base I knew the pathing couldn't reach, or make 10 meter thick steel walls in every direction, with triple lined steel tunnels to the  next 10 meter thick bunker with 10 air locks. It sounds extreme, but if you really want to live you would take extreme measures and change your play style.

When it comes to day 1 poi looting i choose the super small pois, garages, construction sites like the garage construction poi, garages in general and some trailers, simple, easy, won't necessarily meet too tough of opposition, all depends on gameplay style, ive never played on the hardest setting, one day maybe and i shall see how badly i get pwned lol

10 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Yet if you watch the streams like I do, other permadeath players playing the same diff/speed (they just stack blunderbuss) you'd know this isn't true. There is one that doesn't but he still some what cheeses it to survive when his back is against the wall. A cheeky exploit you guys will never bother to fix. 

I'm just throwing your claim back at you. Either you can use the blunderbuss too or the blunderbuss is suicide by noise. If you choose not to use the blunderbuss (or any other pipe weapons in A20) even if it makes a good "oh-@%$*#!" weapon then you either need a strategy that is just as good or announce defeat.

28 minutes ago, madmole said:

This is considered. I need gear to survive though and I'm not going to get that just finding free loot on 25%. Can't take on the horde with only a bow and arrow and not all quest rewards are equal to the task you have to take on. You could go to on to tier 3 quests without getting a weapon reward it seems. I even take over a medium poi for the standing concrete and wall which actually has a zombie dog sometimes but its not a tier 1 poi. Honestly I got up to doing tier 3's last time before I starting to take too much of a beating being under geared even though I was doing quests for rewards they were not what I needed and stopped at the beginning of tier 4's to focus on base building cause of that day 21 horde I'd mentioned. Once the base was fine I had more lvls my game stage is higher loot was better I could go out again, I mean look at where it ended and where the base was at. I know how to change my strat. This about zombie dogs in tier 1 poi's, the land mine in a tier 1 poi equivalent. Being expected to take them on with primitive weapons.

Edit: Other classes primitive weapons I mite add.

13 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

When it comes to day 1 poi looting i choose the super small pois, garages, construction sites like the garage construction poi, garages in general and some trailers, simple, easy, won't necessarily meet too tough of opposition, all depends on gameplay style, ive never played on the hardest setting, one day maybe and i shall see how badly i get pwned lol

Right, I tend to go to the really small open or half destroyed POIs you can clearly see there isn't any danger lurking. I usually do dig quests because I need food and you are in the open so you can outrun anything if you need to.

I think the main point for Styx is he shouldn't expect to play the same way on nightmare as you would on adventurer. The whole point of the harder difficulty settings is to challenge your mind not just your reflexes, so you should have to change your tactics and risk management, and expectations.

1 minute ago, STyK_ said:

This is considered. I need gear to survive though and I'm not going to get that just finding free loot on 25%. Can't take on the horde with only a bow and arrow and not all quest rewards are equal to the task you have to take on. You could go to on to tier 3 quests without getting a weapon reward it seems. I even take over a medium poi for the standing concrete and wall which actually has a zombie dog sometimes but its not a tier 1 poi. Honestly I got up to doing tier 3's last time before I starting to take too much of a beating being under geared even though I was doing quests for rewards they were not what I needed and stopped at the beginning of tier 4's to focus on base building cause of that day 21 horde I'd mentioned. Once the base was fine I had more lvls my game stage is higher loot was better I could go out again, I mean look at where it ended and where the base was at. I know how to change my strat. This about zombie dogs in tier 1 poi's, the land mine in a tier 1 poi equivalent. Being expected to take them on with primitive weapons.

Well you have to consider we don't have T0 pistol for the agility guy, so the blunderbuss/shotgun guy is at a clear advantage.

Although you don't HAVE to take on a horde with guns. You can craft spikes for miles in every direction, and just sit inside with a repair hammer fixing the cracks. Noone said you need 500 kills by day 7 or you are a loser. The goal is to survive, not be x level or have y possessions before z day.

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

Right, I tend to go to the really small open or half destroyed POIs you can clearly see there isn't any danger lurking. I usually do dig quests because I need food and you are in the open so you can outrun anything if you need to.

I think the main point for Styx is he shouldn't expect to play the same way on nightmare as you would on adventurer. The whole point of the harder difficulty settings is to challenge your mind not just your reflexes, so you should have to change your tactics and risk management, and expectations.

Speaking of the dig quests, you guys need to change the chests to be destroyed upon looting just like the treasure maps, some people of facebook have stated they mark the chests after digging them up and they refill  on the loot respawn day, just a small exploit but i wanted to point it out

Just now, Phoenixshade35 said:

Speaking of the dig quests, you guys need to change the chests to be destroyed upon looting just like the treasure maps, some people of facebook have stated they mark the chests after digging them up and they refill without taking another digging quest, just a small exploit but i wanted to point it out

I can't stand loot respawn, I'd rather just kill that. It should never respawn unless the whole POI is reset via quest IMO. We've talked about resetting unvisited  chunks as a server option, so any space without a bed roll or land claim will go back to vanilla chunks after you haven't been there for a while instead of reloading it with loot.

Just now, madmole said:

I can't stand loot respawn, I'd rather just kill that. It should never respawn unless the whole POI is reset via quest IMO. We've talked about resetting unvisited  chunks as a server option, so any space without a bed roll or land claim will go back to vanilla chunks after you haven't been there for a while instead of reloading it with loot.

not a bad idea imo, but then id say maybe make the default range of the bedroll a little bigger, just to be safe, but having mines reset would seem odd unless its only poi resets, i dont know anything about coding so i dont know how different it would be lol

Just now, Phoenixshade35 said:

not a bad idea imo, but then id say maybe make the default range of the bedroll a little bigger, just to be safe, but having mines reset would seem odd unless its only poi resets, i dont know anything about coding so i dont know how different it would be lol

You would set the chunk reset time to whatever... 30 days.. as long as you visited the mine every 30 days it would not fill back in. You would also be able to say no reset, ever, then loot and nothing would reset, except for quest pois, which would be how I would play in SP. But for MP having it reset frequently would be good for busy servers. I'd also want maybe an additional thing besides a bed or land claim, that preserved chunks so bridges you made wouldn't get wrecked. Like a light land claim that preserved it without bonus hit points.

18 minutes ago, madmole said:

Although you don't HAVE to take on a horde with guns. You can craft spikes for miles in every direction, and just sit inside with a repair hammer fixing the cracks. Noone said you need 500 kills by day 7 or you are a loser. The goal is to survive, not be x level or have y possessions before z day.

Over spiking is cheesy, thats why I don't do it, I don't repair during the horde and I made out just fine last time, my base building strat. had nothing to do with how I died. I don't have that many kills by day 7. I had 1250 after 47 days on two hours. Thats low, I was on the verge of changing that. If you say new T0 weapons will level the field then ok. How about leading with that rather then belittling and getting mods and the rest of the community involved in it. 

1 minute ago, madmole said:

You would set the chunk reset time to whatever... 30 days.. as long as you visited the mine every 30 days it would not fill back in. You would also be able to say no reset, ever, then loot and nothing would reset, except for quest pois, which would be how I would play in SP. But for MP having it reset frequently would be good for busy servers. I'd also want maybe an additional thing besides a bed or land claim, that preserved chunks so bridges you made wouldn't get wrecked. Like a light land claim that preserved it without bonus hit points.

that would work, and for the light land claims it would be interesting, imagine digging a huge mine, not marking it and forgetting where it is just to have it reset haha, but i feel it would get exploited easily as well having chunks reset, unless the loot respawn is set to a different time, that would be hard to do.

I was still waiting on multiple spawn points that we can spawn on, that way we can have a base in every town instead of one spawn point, could function like the light landclaim idea, and have it so you spawn at the closest bed upon death, again dunno how hard that will be.

But i am excited that i can do a full flintlock/pipe weapon user, next all we need is bandage wraps for fists as a t0 weapon and bump up leather wraps lol

4 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I think a Makeshift pistol that uses 9mm would be nice! it could be reloaded like a normal pistol but i think a cool look would be something like the Mauser (i don't know why i like the idea of that)

here are some examples of what i imagen the pipe weapons to look like (these are from metro but again this is just what i imagine they would look like but in TFP style!)

Spoiler

pistol

Lolife | Metro Wiki | Fandom

Shotgun/Blunderbuss

Ashot | Metro Wiki | Fandom

AR

Pin on NEED TO BUILD

Rifle 

Preved | Metro Wiki | Fandom

intellect Gun/Air gun/Junk rifle

Tihar | Metro Wiki | Fandom

Archived