Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

16 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Well then I'm just fighting for something to be done about nerd polling, I know what said and its too bad you want the game only have one world with the all powerful frame, doesn't mean I have to stop fighting against it my way. And the AI difficulty scroll bar or something to be done about needing more destruction and less predictable pathing, cheese pathing bases shouldn't work IMO.

Everything should work to some degree, but not be bullet proof guaranteed unless it is a lot of work and requires a maintenance cost and has a scaled reward based on the effort.

22 minutes ago, lug said:

MadMole,  much respect. reading your posts help me recognize ( if not learn ) that patience is a good thing.

You can thank my personal trainer for that. He's arguably helped me grow more emotionally than I have physically.
He's also a forum member here but I forget his forum nick name so here is his web site, for a shameless long overdue plug.
https://www.theliftingschool.com/

24 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Well then I'm just fighting for something to be done about nerd polling, I know what said and its too bad you want the game only have one world with the all powerful frame, doesn't mean I have to stop fighting against it my way. And the AI difficulty scroll bar or something to be done about needing more destruction and less predictable pathing, cheese pathing bases shouldn't work IMO.

Keep fighting the good fight. 

Taking NP away isn’t gonna fix anything tho. Same results will still be meet. 

24 minutes ago, BumbaCLot said:

All this talk of classes just makes me laugh.

I don't think the average player looks at the skill trees and says 'Oh I'm going to do a Strength or Agility build!'

They look at what they need to build / improve things, put points in it, and play the game.

Blunderbuss look like garbage weapons, are slow to reload, are inaccurate unless shot at point blank range, but definitely the strongest stone age weapon out there.

Refusing to use them on nightmare / insane settings after playing on Alpha 19 is a silly self-imposed rule.

No one is going to kill a bear or direwolf without multiple (if they even can at all) early game, and this talk of "agility" "perception" builds is just silly RPG stuff that this game has elements of but in no way can be portrayed as being one.

They are just buffs, and as a previous poster said, adding points to shotgun tree on day 1 at most gives you a 10% bonus to damage.

I have over 1000 hours in this game (half of this 5-6 years ago in early alphas, and just came back during a18) and I had no idea people even talked about classes until a month ago.

LOL gitgud (I'm not)

Classes are definitely a thing as there are hard choices to be made early game with perk selection. I do think it becomes more evident if you start over and log a lot of hours. There is overlap, but most people primarily spec hard into one tree to make the most of the attribute points invested.

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

Probably you meant "glide" instead of "hover".

I get the best results by going into the smallest decline possible a few hundred meters before the target. If you target a level landing zone it is autopilot from then on and pressing E at the moment immediately before hitting the ground

Wait. Not anymore the little guy's advocat? It is about your game now? 😉

Nope, more hovering than gliding. Going in gently, pulling back, slowly spinning in circles, and lightly touching the ground after several seconds.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Why bother? Find a vein or settle your base on a vein is what I do. I don't find digging through stone looking for ore fun though. It could spawn anywhere, but I just have multple mines and build hatches and stuff on them, and mark them on my map. Typically they are not far at all from my base, usually in chunk distance or not much further... a 10 second motorcycle ride.

My point is the time it would take to ladder/stair to bedrock to where you might have found some ore can be saved biking to the surface mine that starts yielding ore on the first hit. By the time you find ore under your base and build ladders/stairs/find ore I've already got 20,000 GP crafted and still plenty of more ore to mine.

Well I enjoy using dynamite. Yes you can just find vein and mine it, but I want my mine to be under my base, so when I return I can get into it. I enjoy building large mining complexes too, I just want to make sure that the ores actually do spawn.

4 hours ago, Cork55 said:

One players "hardest" settings equals another players "easiest" settings. When he plays on nightmare settings with horde nights every night, uses nothing more than a stone axe for the entire game, uses no perk points and turns off all loot, then perhaps he might be worthy of his silly icon. Until then, he is just trying to swing his little e-peen around the forums.

You use a stone axe?  Wimp!!

Try all the hardest settings plus 10 minute days.

No Tools, No Armor, No weapons, except for your two fists and your super human skills... Like I do.

Its still to easy.   😎

22 minutes ago, madmole said:

Classes are definitely a thing as there are hard choices to be made early game with perk selection. I do think it becomes more evident if you start over and log a lot of hours. There is overlap, but most people primarily spec hard into one tree to make the most of the attribute points invested.

I'm not saying there aren't hard choices to make, but sprinkling points everywhere isn't so detrimental as to take classes seriously. You hurt yourself a lot more 'not' sprinkling or playing the game based on early loot found then some "I'm going to do this playthrough/class this time".

Finding schematics your first week is a lot more impactful and allows way more options on how to play then leveling up in one and only one tree. No?

Or do you agree that role playing and not using blunderbuss ever is balanced like the other poster claimed?

Still to this day I have rarely ever used any guns in this game...I have and make tons of ammo and store weapons...just dont use them...

BUT I will say , I do tend to break out a shotgun and use some ammo on horde nights day 40+ between punching everything to death!

I do love punching things to death(finally!) Has always been my MO since Fallout 1+2 , Tactics , Elder Scrolls , Skyrim , FO76 and now here...

So glad you put that in this game!

22 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

You use a stone axe?  Wimp!!

Try all the hardest settings plus 10 minute days.

No Tools, No Armor, No weapons, except for your two fists and your super human skills... Like I do.

Its still to easy.   😎

I bow to your greatness Aldranon. :hail:

These are certainly interesting discussions.

3 hours ago, madmole said:

Why bother? Find a vein or settle your base on a vein is what I do. I don't find digging through stone looking for ore fun though. It could spawn anywhere, but I just have multple mines and build hatches and stuff on them, and mark them on my map. Typically they are not far at all from my base, usually in chunk distance or not much further... a 10 second motorcycle ride.

My point is the time it would take to ladder/stair to bedrock to where you might have found some ore can be saved biking to the surface mine that starts yielding ore on the first hit. By the time you find ore under your base and build ladders/stairs/find ore I've already got 20,000 GP crafted and still plenty of more ore to mine.

I usually need the stone at the start of the game, so stone is the ore I am looking for heh. 

Does not take that long to dig in a 45 degree angle to bedrock, and by then you usually hit multiple ore veins.  The stone makes the ramp for you. 

Then you can dig underground roads or clear out the bedrock spot for your forges and cement mixers and run them up to your base as needed. 

17 minutes ago, pregnable said:

I usually need the stone at the start of the game, so stone is the ore I am looking for heh. 

Does not take that long to dig in a 45 degree angle to bedrock, and by then you usually hit multiple ore veins.  The stone makes the ramp for you. 

Then you can dig underground roads or clear out the bedrock spot for your forges and cement mixers and run them up to your base as needed. 

Or just strip mine from the top down.  A mine about 10x10, with support pillars to bedrock and a hatch ... then just dig in a giant square all the way down ... set it up in a area with surface ore and by the time you reach bedrock you'll have hit just about every type of ore imaginable (except for oil shale, unless you're in the desert) and have enough rocks to make as much concrete as your heart desires.  But I'm also OCD ... and the random tunnels produced by following ore veins makes me twitchy. And, I like to dig. It relaxes me.  When the zombies come knocking on my hatch I just open the hatch then shoot them as they come in.  Then quietly go back to digging.

@MM   Resetting chunks rather than respawning loot is a brilliant idea!! It solves multiple issues especially on busy, longterm multiplayer servers. Besides poi’s resetting, I’m assuming everything will reset including cars. It would solve running out of sources for brass and other finite resources without resorting to mods.  I’ve done some chunk resetting myself but it isn’t a simple process. I know many many would approve including those realism fans who say respawning loot makes no sense. You can justify chunk resetting by saying it’s a new town that needs exploring. Hats off to whoever came up with that idea. Simply brilliant.

14 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Not arguing, just saying: taking on a zombie bear is way more difficult than taking on one zombie dog. I know because I just died to one, even with a full clip of 7.62 ammo from a yellow AK to the face. Not complaining (other than maybe said POI should be moved to T2 quest status, if it hasn't been already, but it's apples and oranges here.

As someone that owns a 7.62x39 AK variant irl, I just gotta say the damage the bears can take is just insanely unrealistic. I went through almost a full clip on a living bear, point blank range to the face, before I killed it. Bears are tough yeah, but they ain't taking more than 1-2 rounds from a AK especially headshots.. I can punch neat bullet sized holes in 3/8 " thick mild steel plate with mine, shooting fmj standard issue russian ammo.

I mean..o.k.? Bears and other living predators should be tough and a real threat, but Humans rule the world because of our tools, and when you are using the right tool (guns vs anything else) you should tear through them like tissue paper.. Now if you don't have a gun, or get jumped/surprise attacked, yeah I could see you getting @%$*#! handed. But when You are doing the jumping with a AK, they shouldn't stand a chance, and go down 5 rnds MAX..

2 hours ago, BumbaCLot said:

I'm not saying there aren't hard choices to make, but sprinkling points everywhere isn't so detrimental as to take classes seriously. You hurt yourself a lot more 'not' sprinkling or playing the game based on early loot found then some "I'm going to do this playthrough/class this time".

Finding schematics your first week is a lot more impactful and allows way more options on how to play then leveling up in one and only one tree. No?

Or do you agree that role playing and not using blunderbuss ever is balanced like the other poster claimed?

Specializing with a build is better than letting randomness dictate your choices IMO. I decide during world gen what my build will be, or typically weeks before actually.

1 minute ago, madmole said:

Good luck finding anything worth reading in your first week.. Loot lvls are so trash it's not even worth going looting/raiding except for basic supplies.

9 minutes ago, Star69 said:

@MM   Resetting chunks rather than respawning loot is a brilliant idea!! It solves multiple issues especially on busy, longterm multiplayer servers. Besides poi’s resetting, I’m assuming everything will reset including cars. It would solve running out of sources for brass and other finite resources without resorting to mods.  I’ve done some chunk resetting myself but it isn’t a simple process. I know many many would approve including those realism fans who say respawning loot makes no sense. You can justify chunk resetting by saying it’s a new town that needs exploring. Hats off to whoever came up with that idea. Simply brilliant.

Except that for multiplayer servers people tend to spread out.  If the regions only regenerate when there's no bedroll or land claim in them, then most regions on a busy server will not reset ... and without loot regeneration the players are going to run out of stuff to loot before too long.  Plus, if it's based on the last time someone was in a chunk then even on single player games you're going to have to keep track of where you've been and you won't be able to use previously discovered routes to destinations else you'll never find anything new either. Or else you'll have to become a nomad, constantly moving from place to place so the regions behind you can reset.  

Just have the option to turn off loot regen for those that don't want it and otherwise leave it be?

27 minutes ago, Star69 said:

I had that idea in 2013 or so, we just never got around to it. We're already checking how long ppl have been gone and respawning zeds, we just need to call the reset chunk function, and some utility work.

18 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Good luck finding anything worth reading in your first week.. Loot lvls are so trash it's not even worth going looting/raiding except for basic supplies.

Every schematic you find the first week is useful because you haven't read any yet.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:18 AM, Laz Man said:

Not really a fair comparison there.  Trees actually have a function in the game more then just decoration.  Can't really play the game.without trees to harvest wood....😅

Actually, you can, quite easily.

More than enough alternate sources of wood available, to play this game rather comfortably with, or without, trees.

Not a boast of gaming prowess by any means. Anyone can do it, at any skill level. Wood is really all over, laying around. I guess most don;t even consider all the sources is all. 

Y’all realism ppl are funny. 

Ya cry cause loot respawns are unreal but then cry cause real work strategy and tactics are cheesy but y’all want your guns to 1-2 shot everything. 

Like do y’all want a good game or a boring game? I can’t tell anymore lmao

14 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

If the regions only regenerate

Not 100% sure but in 7dtd I think a Chunk is 16x16 blocks, and a Region is 64 Chunks x 64 Chunks (1024x1024)?

Whatever the actual numbers are the size difference is significant.. err.. (here Snowdog, come an get it!)

7dtd_map_Regions_example__Sm3_pic4.jpg

I've heard lots of sizes for chunks.....16x16, 64x64, 512x512  {/shrugs} but it might be because some people say chunk when they mean region or vice versa. Irregardless, IMO, resetting a region would be the way to go if you are interested in resetting an area because it is a significant area. Then how do you decide what action resets the clock.....does just causing the chunk/region to load enough to restart the 30 day clock or do you need to interact with a chunk/region to reset the clock? Things to think about for sure. I still think it's a fabulous idea and hope they figure out how to make it work. Doing it manually is a pia.....deleting the region file is simple, figuring out which and how many to delete is time consuming. As far I as know, there's no way for me to figure out if a region or chunk has been loaded recently. Having the game doing those calculations would be great. Less work for a busy admin. Again, just my opinion.

Specializing with a build is better than letting randomness dictate your choices IMO. I decide during world gen what my build will be, or typically weeks before actually.

So you are going to sit there with 0 workbench for 9 days when you've found 0 schematics, and 3 traders / POIs all with broken workbenches because you planned weeks before to do 'no intellect'? That's more gimp then the other guy. No, I think you are going to spend the points on it. 

Just as in an earlier post you said you use pack mule because it gets your early game going off to a faster start...

1 hour ago, Demandred1957 said:

I've played 200 hours of alpha 19, and I've found TONS of good schematics week 1. I also know which POIs have bookshelves.

I've also played a game where I didn't find a workbench until day 9, so I put points into it to build one, and lo and behold, the next broken workbench I found had the schematic in it.

I had that idea in 2013 or so, we just never got around to it. We're already checking how long ppl have been gone and respawning zeds, we just need to call the reset chunk function, and some utility work.

Every schematic you find the first week is useful because you haven't read any yet.

Thats so lame dude.. Like I couldn't care less about how to build a speaker in my first week (or ever)...  But even then, finding one and not just piles of paper seems to be a issue.. In this play through I haven't even bothered hitting the nice poi's like crack-a-book because I know the loot is gonna suck.

1 hour ago, Yopo said:

Y’all realism ppl are funny. 

Ya cry cause loot respawns are unreal but then cry cause real work strategy and tactics are cheesy but y’all want your guns to 1-2 shot everything. 

Like do y’all want a good game or a boring game? I can’t tell anymore lmao

I want to have some balance. As I posted earlier, I have every gun in the game untill A19, and know from real life experience exactly how much damage they do. Why not let the animals be more life-like since we already have unstoppable, acrobatic, genius, zombies to deal with?

I could drop a polar bear with a 7.62x39 round to the skull, no questions asked.

22 rounds like it took to the face to kill a much smaller bear in game? Not so much..

Now if you get caught out without a gun, then ya.. it's your butt, just like irl (unless you are one hell of a bow hunter)..

44 minutes ago, BumbaCLot said:

I've also played a game where I didn't find a workbench until day 9, so I put points into it to build one, and lo and behold, the next broken workbench I found had the schematic in it.

This. Last EXP playthrough I got so tired of not finding the schematic I put the points in just to find it on my next workbench. Curse you RNG Gods!

13 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

I want to have some balance. As I posted earlier, I have every gun in the game untill A19, and know from real life experience exactly how much damage they do. Why not let the animals be more life-like since we already have unstoppable, acrobatic, genius, zombies to deal with?

I could drop a polar bear with a 7.62x39 round to the skull, no questions asked.

22 rounds like it took to the face to kill a much smaller bear in game? Not so much..

Now if you get caught out without a gun, then ya.. it's your butt, just like irl (unless you are one hell of a bow hunter)..

I'm just not feeling it, man. Maybe if you dropped like four billion more hints about the size of your gun collection it'd be more persuasive?

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived