Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

16 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Alrighty then. To close this off, do you know if it's hardcoded for them NOT to spawn on day 1, or can they spawn anytime?

I doubt it. They could spawn on Day 1 as easily as on Day 2 I imagine. If you stay in the protected zone where you spawn you should be safe.  But the trip to the trader could include a rare encounter, sure. 

But at default difficulty you can also outrun it until it’s territorial AI kicks in and it begs off. Only at nightmare speeds is it a problem but hopefully a good and challenging problem that rewards players with good environmental awareness. 

3 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

What diff are you referring to you can take down a zombie dog on on day 1 with a club? doesn't sound like nightmare speed or insane diff. Tier 1's get you geared to take on the rest of the world, if they have things your not equipped to take on your taking away from the point of your trader quests in the beginning. 

Surely I am talking about default settings and difficulties, that is what has to be balanced for new players. If you decide to play on harder settings that is your own choice and I don't see a reason to complain about more difficult times when that is what you have set on purpose.

Once again, a new player does not know about "tier 1" POIs. A new player goes into whatever building that attracts him most. Can be a tier 1 building, can also be the Bear Den, a tier 5 shotgun messiah or whatever. Moreover, I don't think it is a bad thing for new players to die here and there to predators, mines etc. This struggle and trying to solve the situation is what keeps a game interesting. Especially a survival game.

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

It's a "50/50" situation we're talking about here. Yes, having mines spawn in T1 POI's, remnants included, would be sketchy because a lot of new players (from what I assume at least) start doing T1 quests before they are ready to "take on the rest of the world". However, there is no magical barrier blocks entry to other higher tier POI's until you're x gamestage, so a new player, or a new character even, could easily walk into a T3 POI, make their way through a couple rooms, and then die to a sneaky landmine trap.

My general conclusion is this: perhaps dogs should be able to spawn in certain T1 POI's on day one (the ones that are hardcoded to spawn those vicious canines), but only if they are hardcoded not to detect you until you get relatively close to them (or you attack them), and/or the animal should be exposed so that it's impossible to miss it.

Like that?

253321359_thumbnail.thumb.png.e1f6dc4e53c10f5cfa350d66a337c386.png

Sorry was already a thumb nail

Just now, STyK_ said:

Like that?

253321359_thumbnail.thumb.png.e1f6dc4e53c10f5cfa350d66a337c386.png

Yes, just like that. Now, if the dog immediately saw you and came after you, then there would be a problem there, yes. I'm pretty sure that particular dog spawn has it be as blind as a rhino and as deaf as a caterpillar though, so unless you provoke it, you should be able to just close the door and move onto another POI.

11 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Moreover, I don't think it is a bad thing for new players to die here and there to predators, mines etc. This struggle and trying to solve the situation is what keeps a game interesting. Especially a survival game.

Exactly!  We all died as brand new players and kept at it because of how great the game was. 

And yet, as soon as some people get 1000 hrs in, suddenly they think all the new players are going to be unlike how they were and rage quit and uninstall unlike what they did.

We aren’t a special breed. Trust the allure of the game. Let the newbies struggle and die a few times and learn. Most will push through to addiction levels just exactly the same as we did. 

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Yes, just like that. Now, if the dog immediately saw you and came after you, then there would be a problem there, yes. I'm pretty sure that particular dog spawn has it be as blind as a rhino and as deaf as a caterpillar though, so unless you provoke it, you should be able to just close the door and move onto another POI.

but you don't want to cause its a tier 1, I already have skip poi's for the biker, not so far this playthough but the last.

1 minute ago, STyK_ said:

but you don't want to cause its a tier 1, I already have skip poi's for the biker, not so far this playthough but the last.

Not directly related to your post above, but the construction site with the zombie bear spawn? Unless that's been changed, that's also a T1 POI.

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Not directly related to your post above, but the construction site with the zombie bear spawn? Unless that's been changed, that's also a T1 POI.

That can be contain fairly easily though, he's already in a concrete pit, just set him off get out and don't use pipe bombs or he'll glitch out. If the dog was stuck in a service bay it would be equivalent. I had to alter the poi to make it the same.

Edit: Which wasn't part of the plan, I shot him though the window then sprinted around the building to the low roof and chopped up the stacked wood that got me there thinking the dog would brake out though the door. unfortunately pathing took him straight into the wall.

1 minute ago, STyK_ said:

That can be contain fairly easily though, he's already in a concrete pit, just set him off get out and don't use pipe bombs or he'll glitch out. If the dog was stuck in a service bay it would be equivalent. I had to alter the poi to make it the same.

Not arguing, just saying: taking on a zombie bear is way more difficult than taking on one zombie dog. I know because I just died to one, even with a full clip of 7.62 ammo from a yellow AK to the face. Not complaining (other than maybe said POI should be moved to T2 quest status, if it hasn't been already, but it's apples and oranges here.

@Rolandhey you try to take him without the 'magic shoes and or jacket or drink' early game on insane nightmare, those don't even exist in my world.

If you nerd poll to a height he can't reach on the side of a wall and shoot him I'll be disappointed.

Just now, STyK_ said:

@Rolandhey you try to take him without the 'magic shoes and or jacket or drink' early game

Absolutely. On default you can take a zombie dog with a fiber shirt and pants combo and a club. You might get an infection or broken arm but you’ll live. 

On default unencumbered you can outrun a wolf barefoot. Also a wolf often runs away once injured so you don’t even have to kill it. 

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

Absolutely. On default you can take a zombie dog with a fiber shirt and pants combo and a club. You might get an infection or broken arm but you’ll live. 

On default unencumbered you can outrun a wolf barefoot. Also a wolf often runs away once injured so you don’t even have to kill it. 

Can confirm; I raided a ranger station on day 1, which is still my main bus. I decapitated the first dog with my blunderbuss, but I had to deal with the other dog with a club. Sure I was down to 15 health and I had an infection and a Deep Laceration, and I had to loot until 2 in the morning to find a sewing kit, but I lived.

*main base

5 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

When using a wrench against a radiator, it doesn't initiate the wrenching animation. I swear this used to be a thing in previous A19 patches, but can anyone confirm? I swear I'm going mad these days.

Yeah, it wacks the radiator like a club, but I get the brass radiator in the end.

1 hour ago, Aldranon said:

Yeah, it wacks the radiation like a club, but I get the bass radiator in the end.

So let’s get this right. If I right click with a wrench or ratchet and bash my object I get the same stuff as if I left clicked and get slick animation ? 

41 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

So let’s get this right. If I right click with a wrench or ratchet and bash my object I get the same stuff as if I left clicked and get slick animation ? 

Correct. Despite being faster however, it uses more stamina, so whether or not it is more efficient depends on your Sex Rex level, I believe.

18 hours ago, Azaron said:

Are military gloves making hands invisible for anyone else since the latest build? 

Yes, I am no longer allowed to have hands if I use my Military gloves. Looks hilarious when driving my motorcycle 🤣

1 hour ago, Jay_ombie said:

31 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Correct. Despite being faster however, it uses more stamina, so whether or not it is more efficient depends on your Sex Rex level, I believe.

Guys, I'm not sure but I think what you both wrote is correct only in certain circumstances.

(I've only skimmed the journal entry but it mentions the different animations, I think)

If you're using a Salvage Tool; Wrench, Ratchet, Impact Drive, and hitting an object that _can't_ be Salvaged, then you'll basically get the same things/amounts as if you'd used say an Axe.

But if you're using an Axe to break an object that _is_ Salvage, like a bedframe, you won't get the same bits/amounts as if you'd used a Salvage Tool.

Similar to using a Stone Axe to harvest an animal versus a knife. (I know you two know this, but in case others don't...)

I think it's gotten confused a bit as TFPs may have changed things so that a mattress on a bed now behaves like a mattress on the floor; it's not "salvageable", so no 'tighten the nut' animation with a salvage tool. You'll get roughly the same bits/amounts using an axe or a salv-tool.

(no idea if perks like Motherlode factor in)

So we might be back to feeling our way by trying to wrench things, and paying attention to the animations.

Which begs the question of how will we players know if something that's supposed to be salvageable, isn't properly tagged?

Like the Radiators. Those definately were salvage in a18. Are some mis-tagged, or are they no longer salvage?

I think this is the wall radiator we normally see in house pois, but I'm guessing.

It looks like it's tagged so a salvage tool should be used.

<block name="radiatorHouse01">
	<property name="Extends" value="radiatorHouse01Player"/>
	<drop event="Destroy" name="resourceRadiator" count="1" tag="salvageHarvest" tool_category="Disassemble"/>

Quick scanning some other blocks that I think we'd see in game as 'radiators', not all of those have "salvageHarvest" bits. Again, just guessing.

ha ha, yeah @Jay_ombie, I pretty much confused myself with that too. :classic_biggrin:

I guess best to use your judgement, if it was something you'd have wrenched before, start with that. If it's just bashing instead of wrenching, then finish it off and try to remember what it gave you. Then try another one using an Axe to compare.

.... and I'll take that Captain Obvious Hat and see myself out now. :classic_laugh:

5 hours ago, Roland said:

Speaking of wolves. I started a new game last night on nightmare until the game leaves experimental. Other half joined me at my start location and then we spotted a wolf. Now normally we can easily dispose of said wolf, but this time, we had only good intentions and bad luck to aid us in the fight. We lost. A lot! In the end we managed to kill it with a blunderbuss we found in the starter house and getting it stuck lol. It was a lot of fun to be so easily mauled by something we hunt for food haha.

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

The trick is to treat it like a plane, and if you want to land like a gyrocopter, try to "hover" (not taking a nosedive, keeping your speed steady, pushing back if you have to, etc.). ;)

Edit: pulling back

Probably you meant "glide" instead of "hover".

I get the best results by going into the smallest decline possible a few hundred meters before the target. If you target a level landing zone it is autopilot from then on and pressing E at the moment immediately before hitting the ground

5 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Oh I meant the biker. And yeah when your talking about to easy to even bother playing of course it can be done.

Wait. Not anymore the little guy's advocat? It is about your game now? 😉

Archived