Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

36 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Probably you meant "glide" instead of "hover".

I get the best results by going into the smallest decline possible a few hundred meters before the target. If you target a level landing zone it is autopilot from then on and pressing E at the moment immediately before hitting the ground

Wait. Not anymore the little guy's advocat? It is about your game now? 😉

actually it appears to be about everyone else's game, as long as it works on default 100-150% loot that's all that seems to matter, and as long as it works for strength class their is nothing wrong with it. That's what I have gathered. 😉

Just now, SnowDog1942 said:

All this rejection lately is killing my self confidence.... 

DaVega…. hold me...

LMAO You'll live.  There's some pretty cute fem zombies now... try your luck there. I'm considering taking the crawler as my second husband. He is such a cutie🥰 It can't be necrophilia if they're moving!

Just now, Laynie said:

LMAO You'll live.  There's some pretty cute fem zombies now... try your luck there. I'm considering taking the crawler as my second husband. He is such a cutie🥰 It can't be necrophilia if they're moving!

Wait.. I'm not good enough to be a 2nd husband, but the Crawler is... this day is getting worse and worse.... :(

I haven't seen the new crawler yet, but its probably best I don't know what it looks like at this point :(

1 hour ago, jorbascrumps said:

So default is too easy for you and nightmare is too hard for you. If only there were difficulty settings in between those..

its too hard for everyone and that's the point, I've actually already done this over experimental, this is just leading up to the video evidence cause I wasn't recording before. Also still alive. Like everyone else am point out the things that stick out, don't add up which nobody else is doing cause they can't handle Insane nightmare let alone 25% loot. I doubt this diff, speed, and settings even get tested. Again as long as it works on default.

Just now, SnowDog1942 said:

Wait.. I'm not good enough to be a 2nd husband, but the Crawler is... this day is getting worse and worse.... :(

I haven't seen the new crawler yet, but its probably best I don't know what it looks like at this point :(

... You got me there....PMSL🙈

3 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

actually it appears to be about everyone else's game, as long as it works on default 100-150% loot that's all that seems to matter, and as long as it works for strength class their is nothing wrong with it. That's what I have gathered. 😉

Obviously you missed all the talk about pipe weapons coming to A20. At the moment the blunderbuss is the weapon for the common man (because development happens in slow steps), next alpha you can get a pipe weapon for your chosen attribute.

Personally I use whatever I can use and in the early game my (AGI,FOR,...) blunderbuss will be as good as a STR players blunderbuss, maybe 10% worse if he already put a point into shotgun. You probably are not a monk who made a vow to never use shotguns, so use whatever is available instead of complaining the weapon is looking like it was made for someone else. PS: Luckily we don't have LBD anymore, otherwise you really could complain about training a shotgun and having no use for that later.

3 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Obviously you missed all the talk about pipe weapons coming to A20. At the moment the blunderbuss is the weapon for the common man (because development happens in slow steps), next alpha you can get a pipe weapon for your chosen attribute.

Personally I use whatever I can use and in the early game my (AGI,FOR,...) blunderbuss will be as good as a STR players blunderbuss, maybe 10% worse if he already put a point into shotgun. You probably are not a monk who made a vow to never use shotguns, so use whatever is available instead of complaining the weapon is looking like it was made for someone else. PS: Luckily we don't have LBD anymore, otherwise you really could complain about training a shotgun and having no use for that later.

I think you missed my early comment about how loud weapon attract zombies, it creates a snowball effect running down a hill, and honestly if you watch my videos I have to deal with enough of that as it is and they have nightmare speed. It would result in not needing one blunderbuss but a belt full like everyone else does, its also a horrible shot, I am not. Makes no sense for an agility build.

10 hours ago, STyK_ said:

An undead dog in a tier 1 gas station quest. Day 2 my game stage is 6, I can't even loot guns yet or have the money to buy a pistol unless I'm lucky enough to find a quality 1 in the trader. I mean its me so I managed obviously but....... really?

Nothing a spike trap or few can't kill.

on insane nightmare that sound will create a snowball effect. Also I'm an agility build, are you telling me I have to carry a belt full blunderbuss on a stealth build because poi's are coded with undead dogs. Tier 1 poi's. That sounds right to you? Not to mention the blunderbuss is pretty much useless if your not perked into it, mite be able to hit the broad side of a barn if I'm standing right infront of it, probably not though.

Edit: Also doesn't fit with what I heard @madmolesay about when dogs are introduced. They are introduced when you can get guns, there shouldn't be an exception to the rule. I could go find the dev video for the quote if need be.

I don't recall saying anything on the topic. You need to have some fear in this game. Dogs aren't that hard to take down. I'm pretty sure you can simply trade blows with them and always win with a club and cloth armor. Not sure about nightmare, but I play on the 2nd to last difficulty whatever it is called.

Do you guys just poke fun to avoid balancing your sandbox?

I'm pretty sure they designers place dog houses when there is a dog. We can't balance your eye balls. Dogs have way less HP than boe/moe, and are not that dangerous. You can outrun any enemy except vultures. I think it is a little ironic to be playing on the hardest settings, with self imposed gimps to make it even harder and then come here and complain.

So your roll playing a guy who's stupid and blind and we need to balance around that? :)

9 hours ago, STyK_ said:

I could keep going. Why are there tier 1 quests sending you to the snow biome? Shouldn't be leaving the green forest biome till your geared, need tier 1 quests to get geared. Quite the pickle. Burnt biome is one thing, kind of acceptable, also making you leave the green forest biome before your geared.

Edit: I get it, as long as it works for the shotgun toting builder class its fine and that goes for both issues. Who's favorite class is that? The same guy who said you get dogs when you can get guns.

The snow biome isn't even hard yet. When we're done it won't send you there.

All you have to do is cancel the quest and take another one.

9 hours ago, STyK_ said:

@RolandDon't worry though I'll likely die tomorrow because on 25% loot there isn't a chance in hell your going to find honey in a stump even when you first spawn.

This isn't even the proof playthough called 'One Life,' I need stable first.

You know, it's incredibly obnoxious of you to continue to post and brag about how you play this game on the hardest settings, ones that most people don't use and how great and wonderful and talented you are ... but then when you run into a snag caused by YOUR OWN CHOICES you come here and whine and moan and complain that it's just not fair to your little twinkle toed snowflake self.

You continually try to get the game settings changed to suit yourself, never once considering what most normal people play like.  

Grow up ... put your big boy pants on and either accept the consequences of your actions and stop whining about them ... or change your freaking play style so that things aren't so bloody hard for you all the time.  If you set your settings to be hard, then don't complain when they are hard.  You survived, the dog didn't ... suck it up buttercup.

3 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

You know, it's incredibly obnoxious of you to continue to post and brag about how you play this game on the hardest settings, ones that most people don't use and how great and wonderful and talented you are ... but then when you run into a snag caused by YOUR OWN CHOICES you come here and whine and moan and complain that it's just not fair to your little twinkle toed snowflake self.

You continually try to get the game settings changed to suit yourself, never once considering what most normal people play like.  

Grow up ... put your big boy pants on and either accept the consequences of your actions and stop whining about them ... or change your freaking play style so that things aren't so bloody hard for you all the time.  If you set your settings to be hard, then don't complain when they are hard.  You survived, the dog didn't ... suck it up buttercup.

One players "hardest" settings equals another players "easiest" settings. When he plays on nightmare settings with horde nights every night, uses nothing more than a stone axe for the entire game, uses no perk points and turns off all loot, then perhaps he might be worthy of his silly icon. Until then, he is just trying to swing his little e-peen around the forums.

34 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'm pretty sure they designers place dog houses when there is a dog. We can't balance your eye balls. Dogs have way less HP than boe/moe, and are not that dangerous. You can outrun any enemy except vultures. I think it is a little ironic to be playing on the hardest settings, with self imposed gimps to make it even harder and then come here and complain.

So your roll playing a guy who's stupid and blind and we need to balance around that? :)

I don't remember seeing a dog house at the gas station, could check the video to be sure. I'm sure you guys buffed zombie dogs like you buffed the dire wolf and the bears so that they totally shrug off stun, so yeah go ahead, try and take it in melee at this difficulty and speed. You'll be dead before you even realized you made a mistake. Check the beginning of my 'This is permadeath!' video, perfect representation of what to expect when engaging anything over a wolf/coyote though it would have less hp making it easier to take on with a fire arm. We're back to as long as it works for the shotgun toting builder class its fine, your favorite class.

Again poking fun to avoid balancing.

Edit: Also because you don't play on the difficulty/speed its not a problem.

20 minutes ago, madmole said:

The snow biome isn't even hard yet. When we're done it won't send you there.

All you have to do is cancel the quest and take another one.

It is when you go into a town and there are wolves everywhere and your not even geared. Done it, not on this play though but I have. And I do but it results in half/quarter of my quests having to be cancelled. If you say it will be fixed I believe you, just lead with that.

8 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I don't remember seeing a dog house at the gas station, could check the video to be sure. I'm sure you guys buffed zombie dogs like you buffed the dire wolf and the beara so that they totally shrug off stun, so yeah go ahead, try and take it in melee at this difficulty and speed. You'll be dead before you even realized you made a mistake. Check the beginning of my 'This is permadeath!' video, prefect representation of what to expect when engaging anything over a wolf/coyote though it would have less hp making it easier to take on with a fire arm. We're back to as long as it works for the shotgun toting builder class its fine, your favorite class.

Ok elitist. We get it. You can’t handle your own settings. 

And no I don’t particularly care nor do I have a problem playing your settings 

8 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I just finished my day 35 horde, warrior difficulty, gamestage upon finishing the horde at around 1:30am was 108.

No demolishers, some irradiated spiders, nothing to hecktic

My horde base has survived since the day 7 horde, evolving a little bit without going overboard, im not a builder and i use a simple build, i enjoy looting and exploring more than i can focus on building lol but while messing around before and during i did notice a couple things.

When taking apart a bed with the impact driver, one of the single beds that goes mattress then frame, the bed gets hit with the impact driver and the frame gets taken apart, is that supposed to happen?

And the robotic sledge is no joke, i used it for the first time and im in love, one weird thing with it, put the burning shaft mod on, its lit up in your hands, place it down, its not lit but lights them on fire, is that by design?

All i know is im having a blast and cannot wait for it to get harder for me haha.

For some reason the bed is a double harvest meaning you are mining the mattress first, then the frame, and there is no special harvest to mining a mattress with an impact. It should just be one event not two IMO.

51 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I don't remember seeing a dog house at the gas station, could check the video to be sure. I'm sure you guys buffed zombie dogs like you buffed the dire wolf and the beara so that they totally shrug off stun, so yeah go ahead, try and take it in melee at this difficulty and speed. You'll be dead before you even realized you made a mistake. Check the beginning of my 'This is permadeath!' video, prefect representation of what to expect when engaging anything over a wolf/coyote though it would have less hp making it easier to take on with a fire arm. We're back to as long as it works for the shotgun toting builder class its fine, your favorite class.

<redacted>

Your premise is ridiculous ... you are playing the game on settings deliberately geared to make it hard to survive ... but you want it to be easy to survive and not cause you any difficulties so you can continue to brag about how you play the game way better than anyone else does.  

<redacted>

It is perfectly logical for dogs to be in POIs on day one in nightmare difficulty.  And, as you said, you used your supposedly superior skills to defeat it.  So obviously it is balanced ... experience, skill and tactics saved the day, which is exactly as it should be.

You say it would be too hard for a new player to defeat ... well here's a news flash, most new players aren't going to be playing nightmare difficulty with 25% loot and whatever other stupid ridiculous options you play with.  And if they do, they deserve to have the dog eat them. They'll learn to use a different tactic the next time, won't they?

Tier 1 quests shouldn't be a cake walk ... they are still quests and have great rewards.  The difficulty should scaled based on your difficulty level.  

1 hour ago, Laynie said:

well we got another snowdog here Great.........

i need a drink!

On 8/4/2020 at 6:53 PM, madmole said:

New EXP out! Enjoy the new storage features and optimizations!

Thanks a ton, Madmole / TFP! 
I've been playing since A11, and I can confidently say that the new inventory stacking features are awesome!! 
I'd only recently discovered a mod to do something similar, and it's amazing how much precious time auto-stacking saves.  :)

I've now played with b177's advanced storage features, and there's only one thing I miss:   the ability to "lock" certain item stacks in your backpack.
If there was a way to (say by Ctrl + clicking, or even a menu option like Drop/Scrap/etc) lock specific stacks so that the auto-stacking buttons ignored those items, you could keep your ammo, wood, food/water and so on where it is, while shunting all of the unsorted loot from your last POI directly where it needs to go without having to hunt down (or temp store) your essential supplies, and inventory management would be even more gloriously efficient!

Regardless, I'm very thankful for the new features, and I appreciate all your collective hard work!  The game has completely evolved since I picked it up in 2015.  The Hi-Def face-lift looks great, weapon arcs are sweet - the list goes on.  This game rocks!

<Edit>  Going back a few pages, I see that slot-locking has been mentioned a few times since b177 went live; I arrived late to the conversation. 😛  Sorry for the redundancy!

Archived