Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Man the winter biome is no joke. Against my better judgement, I accepted a trader quest, day 4 I believe, maybe 3, for a tier 1 clear quest. I was 200 or so meters away, just entered the snow, and saw what I thought was a regular wolf (found out pretty soon it was a dire wolf)

Thought ok bi*ch, I need some meat anyway. Built a reinforced 3 high wood frame tower to take him out. So once I aggro'd him, a lumberjack started torquing my way as well.

Needless to say, I received my 1st death in b177!!

Fu*k the winter biome!!! 😩

17 hours ago, Pegasus said:

I will use my crystal ball and bet he's going to say either "Soon(TM)" or "When it is finished."  Hehehe

17 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

done is it when

when it is done

hur hur hur

@madmole I guess the The Fun Pimps don't have a project manager whipping their asses, and that's why they can't self impose deadlines and then stick to them, but at least be professional enough to remove the junk drone from the A19 release notes if it aint even in. Spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get one in game. I ask a polite question in the forum, and all I get is your laughing emojis on the two echo-chamber nucklehead posts above.

6 hours ago, Aldranon said:

This is factual, but doesn't make for a fun game.  

I don't envy the Devs job of trying to find the fun "Needle" in the realism "Haystack".

But what I know is: They MUST do whats fun for them or the game is lost.  

I agree with this. Some of our best/fondest game moments are where you run across a bear and get almost rekt, or actually rekt.

If everything died in one shot, I doubt we would have had half of the laughs we have had. And at the end of the day, I believe we all play GAMES, just to have fun. Real life should be left at the door when you game. But hey, that's just my opinion.  

7 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

They must do whats fun for US, or the game is lost..(and they are out of a job) Fixed that for you...

There is no "US" - everyone's idea of fun is different. An artist typically doesn't create something that a fan orders them to, the artist creates something and earns a fan. Nothing wrong with taking in feedback or liking an idea that someone proposes - but at the end of the day - they should make whatever they want to make...otherwise it would sink into a passionless creation that's influenced by only the loudest and without a clear vision.

17 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

They must do whats fun for US, or the game is lost..(and they are out of a job) Fixed that for you...

But what they do, is fun for me and the people I play the game with, so by that statement, they are. 😁

9 hours ago, madmole said:

When I say specialize, I mean "major skill". So I decide ahead of time I'm going to specialize in one major attribute or skill and take it all the way to 10 and pick up most of the perks it has to offer. That doesn't mean I won't nab what suits me along the way, like black smith and pack mule, even cooking, to augment crappy luck. Bad luck slows me down a little but eventually I get rank 10 and the top ranks of what I specialize in. I don't deviate too much.

I always get perks from nearly every attribute, but that doesn't make me a jack of all trades, I still have one major one and some minor ones.

Yes but to call this classes is a joke. And when I see people play and talk about "I'm doing a perception build" "I'm a grenadier!" on here and people debating classes like it's an RPG or that a 'stealth guy' won't use a blunderbuss and the game isn't balanced for their 'class' it's ridiculous.

I don't think any D&D player is going to multiclass 3 ways on level 5 rather than get to level 5 in fighter / strength.

Like I said, excluding all other perks rather than sprinkling where needed (when loot isn't available) early game is very situational. And 2-4+ early game points can easily be based on schematic loot.

But hey, if you've got telemetry now you will be able to prove me wrong soon as well as how long players are staring in Trader Jen's trailer!

29 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

9 minutes ago, Toban said:

But what they do, is fun for me and the people I play the game with, so by that statement, they are. 😁

I agree with Toban here. I have a lot of fun. I think different people have a different idea on what is fun. For me if animals just died in one shot it wouldn't kill the game for me, but it wouldn't add anything either. I like there to be a battle. Just yesterday it took my hubby two swings of a sledgie to kill a chicken lol 🤣 it was a damn tank chicken. But it was funny! I think people get overly focused on what is fun for them personally and expect that a game is tailored to them. Unfortunately for you that wont happen unless you make a game you like or mod the game. If you did make a game yourself and decided it was good enough to sell I can promise you there would be guys just like you telling you how to make your game that you love more fun! TFP's are under no obligation to please anyone. They made a game, its fun for the majority of us. If you don't find it fun, I would suggest playing a different game. This is all just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.  

9 minutes ago, Laynie said:

I agree with Toban here. I have a lot of fun. I think different people have a different idea on what is fun. For me if animals just died in one shot it wouldn't kill the game for me, but it wouldn't add anything either. I like there to be a battle. Just yesterday it took my hubby two swings of a sledgie to kill a chicken lol 🤣 it was a damn tank chicken. But it was funny! I think people get overly focused on what is fun for them personally and expect that a game is tailored to them. Unfortunately for you that wont happen unless you make a game you like or mod the game. If you did make a game yourself and decided it was good enough to sell I can promise you there would be guys just like you telling you how to make your game that you love more fun! TFP's are under no obligation to please anyone. They made a game, its fun for the majority of us. If you don't find it fun, I would suggest playing a different game. This is all just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.  

Yep, all games sold in the US need a "Are you a badass IRL with guns?" checkbox, which you can check and it makes you as awesome in a video game vs hordes of running radioactive zombies and groups of 5 zombie dogs as you are in real life. If not, all the badasses WHO PAY YOUR SALRY will revolt :)

1 minute ago, BumbaCLot said:

Yep, all games sold in the US need a "Are you a badass IRL with guns?" checkbox, which you can check and it makes you as awesome in a video game vs hordes of running radioactive zombies and groups of 5 zombie dogs as you are in real life. If not, all the badasses WHO PAY YOUR SALRY will revolt :)

I have run out of reaction privilege... so here is my reaction. 😅 😂🤣

On 8/6/2020 at 1:19 PM, RiyoFox said:

Yes, I am no longer allowed to have hands if I use my Military gloves. Looks hilarious when driving my motorcycle 🤣

Haha yeah, and all the tools just float next to your sleeve xD

Almost getting Invisible Man vibes!

@Devs

Why did you make haybales - is multiblocks?

it was possible to make models of a cube and a quarter circle?

they could compose these and other shapes, look better, and fit better into the voxel system.

5 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Man the winter biome is no joke. Against my better judgement, I accepted a trader quest, day 4 I believe, maybe 3, for a tier 1 clear quest. I was 200 or so meters away, just entered the snow, and saw what I thought was a regular wolf (found out pretty soon it was a dire wolf)

Thought ok bi*ch, I need some meat anyway. Built a reinforced 3 high wood frame tower to take him out. So once I aggro'd him, a lumberjack started torquing my way as well.

Needless to say, I received my 1st death in b177!!

Fu*k the winter biome!!! 😩

Haha it's not easy at all.
 And said through the mouth of MM, later the snow and wasteland biome will be VERY difficult  :D: 

2 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

I find some coincidence here. 
For a Latin American like me, the United States comes first with firearms, then the rest. 
At least that's how we see them from here haha

14 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

I want to have some balance. As I posted earlier, I have every gun in the game untill A19, and know from real life experience exactly how much damage they do. Why not let the animals be more life-like since we already have unstoppable, acrobatic, genius, zombies to deal with?

I could drop a polar bear with a 7.62x39 round to the skull, no questions asked.

22 rounds like it took to the face to kill a much smaller bear in game? Not so much..

Now if you get caught out without a gun, then ya.. it's your butt, just like irl (unless you are one hell of a bow hunter)..

They are not interested in realism and balance chief, minecraft fantasy world in their vision period and that vison is made of reinforced steel. What we want is irrelevant compared to whatever makes the builders happy except for things that made the game successful outside they're power, like permadeath and we're lucky that's even happening. Besides on what difficulty would it be realistic to kill a bear? Adventurer? Still wouldn't be realistic on any other difficulty. Here have some candy that does basically anything, it fixed other problems maybe it will fix this. In pvp they are probably nerd polling to insane heights and creating runways and running and jumping with Oh@%$*#!drops into other peoples bases, they don't care as long as it works for the single player builders looting towers that want to get down fast playing on default it doesn't matter, totally irrelevant. Plead a case all you want if the devs and mods don't make fun and tear down your suggestion the rest of the builders who want the game the way it is will tear you apart and scare anyone off that agrees with you. We get what they give us, if there was a time for our input its passed we missed it and the play default builders were here to tell them exactly what they wanted to hear. We could have had a realistic survival crafting 'walking dead' in a fully destructible world, instead we are getting 'evil dead/army of darkness' cheesy whatever makes it work version and there is no going back now. Here have some more candy, maybe it will make you feel better about the whole situation.

51 minutes ago, rubens9311 said:

I find some coincidence here. 
For a Latin American like me, the United States comes first with firearms, then the rest. 
At least that's how we see them from here haha

It's interesting you point that out!! Honestly, being a man from the Southwest United States and knowing the average number of small arms between friends and family in that part of the country, if TFP wanted realism there aren't ENOUGH guns in the loot in the average home in Navezgane, AZ, IMO. When a random gen map paints two or three gun stores in close proximity, I just nod my head.

So when we talk about realism versus fun, I could see an argument that too much realism in this regard would put survivors with too much firepower too quickly too soon!

36 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

They are not interested in realism and balance chief, minecraft fantasy world in their vision period and that vison is made of reinforced steel. What we want is irrelevant compared to whatever makes the builders happy except for things that made the game successful outside they're power, like permadeath and we're lucky that's even happening. Besides on what difficulty would it be realistic to kill a bear? Adventurer? Still wouldn't be realistic on any other difficulty. Here have some candy that does basically anything, it fixed other problems maybe it will fix this. In pvp they are probably nerd polling to insane heights and creating runways and running and jumping with Oh@%$*#!drops into other peoples bases, they don't care as long as it works for the single player builders looting towers that want to get down fast playing on default it doesn't matter, totally irrelevant. Plead a case all you want if the devs and mods don't make fun and tear down your suggestion the rest of the builders who want the game the way it is will tear you apart. We get what they give us, if there was a time for our input its passed we missed it and the play default builders were here to tell them exactly what they wanted to hear. We could have had a realistic survival crafting 'walking dead' in a fully destructible world, instead we are getting 'evil dead/army of darkness' cheesy whatever makes it work version and there is no going back now. Here have some more candy, maybe it will make you feel better about the whole situation.

I literally don't understand the clamor of permadeath people. Is it that hard to hit Exit Game after you die?

15 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

As someone that owns a 7.62x39 AK variant irl, I just gotta say the damage the bears can take is just insanely unrealistic. I went through almost a full clip on a living bear, point blank range to the face, before I killed it. Bears are tough yeah, but they ain't taking more than 1-2 rounds from a AK especially headshots.. I can punch neat bullet sized holes in 3/8 " thick mild steel plate with mine, shooting fmj standard issue russian ammo.

You better be a hunter in real life because a quick google search says you will have a tough time with a bear. Literally the first thing looking up that gun and a bear is "An AK-47 chambered in 7.62 by 39 is ok for Bear defense but the only way you're going to be able to kill it or put it down quickly is putting multiple rounds through it." Man people literally like to complain about everything without looking things up and for some reason everyone joins in believing it without question. Anyway bears are tough, not every exact vital organ is going to be simulated in a game that isn't a bear hunting game either.  I don't think the realism argument works based on how strong real bears can be though.

3 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

They must follow their idea and evolve it to be good enough as they stated in their Kickstarter. And they will keep following it. 

Pimps keep in mind lots of the feedback we gave, but if it is a critique that doesn`t meet their either plans or timeline, it is off talk.

Many of us have personal wishes and this is not a place, where if you repeat hard enough something, it will get in. 

That is how many brilliant mods are made, but not gonna discuss it in this topic. Cheers ;)

2 hours ago, Azaron said:

Haha yeah, and all the tools just float next to your sleeve xD

Almost getting Invisible Man vibes!

Not going to lie, when I realized the gloves were doing that I for a second was slightly disappointed that I still had a torso and legs since I had pieces slotted there too lol.  Would be hilarious to just be a floating head because I am missing a helmet xD 

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived