Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I just finished my day 35 horde, warrior difficulty, gamestage upon finishing the horde at around 1:30am was 108.

No demolishers, some irradiated spiders, nothing to hecktic

My horde base has survived since the day 7 horde, evolving a little bit without going overboard, im not a builder and i use a simple build, i enjoy looting and exploring more than i can focus on building lol but while messing around before and during i did notice a couple things.

When taking apart a bed with the impact driver, one of the single beds that goes mattress then frame, the bed gets hit with the impact driver and the frame gets taken apart, is that supposed to happen?

And the robotic sledge is no joke, i used it for the first time and im in love, one weird thing with it, put the burning shaft mod on, its lit up in your hands, place it down, its not lit but lights them on fire, is that by design?

All i know is im having a blast and cannot wait for it to get harder for me haha.

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

I just said I did handle it didn't I? I had to tear open the roof to even the odds after I spotted him but this is all beside the point! Should I find the quote?

You’re right that your handling it or not is beside the point. “Handling it” is dependent upon player skill which is variable. The point of your post was that having a dog in a poi on day one is unbalanced and/or unfair. The point of my post is that on the lower five difficulties at normal speed it IS balanced and fair. On default, a single dog is not going to kill a player unless they went in completely unprepared. 

When you choose a harder difficulty the game is stacked against you and that is fair because it is what you wanted AND you handled it. 

So why the incredulous post that there was a dog on day one in the POI? I’m incredulous that you keep complaining about nightmare insane settings. It’s supposed to be a nightmare and make you insane playing it. 

1 minute ago, Roland said:

You’re right that your handling it or not is beside the point. “Handling it” is dependent upon player skill which is variable. The point of your post was that having a dog in a poi on day one is unbalanced and/or unfair. The point of my post is that on the lower five difficulties at normal speed it IS balanced and fair. On default, a single dog is not going to kill a player unless they went in completely unprepared. 

When you choose a harder difficulty the game is stacked against you and that is fair because it is what you wanted AND you handled it. 

So why the incredulous post that there was a dog on day one in the POI? I’m incredulous that you keep complaining about nightmare insane settings. It’s supposed to be a nightmare and make you insane playing it. 

ive been in that gas station, its hit or miss if the dog spawns, ive always thought it normal that a guard dog would be there, kinda makes sense

When using a wrench against a radiator, it doesn't initiate the wrenching animation. I swear this used to be a thing in previous A19 patches, but can anyone confirm? I swear I'm going mad these days.

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

So animal HP stacks with difficulty now is what you're saying? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

41 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

I was teaching a new female friend how to shoot a few years ago, and while explaining basic saftey, keeping finger off the trigger until needed, I said, "don't worry, treat it with respect & this thing won't go off by itself". Her totally deadpan reply, "that's what he said" ... ha! 🥰

----

On the flip side of that bit, the damn Bow has almost gotten me killed twice already. I just can not get into the rhythm to use a bow for other than sneak/snipe shots. I think hope it's the draw part, and maybe I can sync with a crossbow.

Anyone else having similar trouble? Or any pointers?

what speed?
Honestly I've mentioned a guy could do parkour, archery, hidden strike in theory. Jumping does take a lot of stamina though.
On any difficulty sprint speed deep cuts knife guy, archery, hidden strike are more then adequate to get things done but its not all bow. It's hidden strike to pull them then deep cuts to proc bleed to slow them so you can stay out of their reach then follow up with whatever you want.
Nightmare is a different story.

11 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

When taking apart a bed with the impact driver, one of the single beds that goes mattress then frame, the bed gets hit with the impact driver and the frame gets taken apart, is that supposed to happen?

I just noticed that as well.

Using a Wrench to salavge the single bed, -with- a mattress, the first swings are "hits", not the 'tighten a nut' animation, until the mattress is gone. Then the 'tighten a nut' animation plays for each swing to salvage the bed -frame-.

Same Wrench, same POI salvaging the Queen bed all swings where the 'tighten a nut' animation.

(I get the Queen is a single entitiey while the Single is two, the mattress and the frame. just being pedantic heh)

Edit:

@STyK_ , normal speeds. That's not the issue, it's that I can't get in sync with the various steps of how the bow behaves now. I keep thinking I've drawn, but go to release and nothing, beacuse I hadn't drawn the bow.

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Because Madmole said pretty much the opposite on a live dev stream, don't recall hearing 'oh except for the hard coded poi's'

2 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

I just noticed that as well.

Using a Wrench to salavge the single bed, -with- a mattress, the first swings are "hits", not the 'tighten a nut' animation, until the mattress is gone. Then the 'tighten a nut' animation plays for each swing to salvage the bed -frame-.

Same Wrench, same POI salvaging the Queen bed all swings where the 'tighten a nut' animation.

(I get the Queen is a single entitiey while the Single is two, the mattress and the frame. just being pedantic heh)

i think it might be by design, if so it does make sense but at the same time, grrr lol

Edit: Also did you know you can wrench leather couches? its funny but neat

2 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

i think it might be by design, if so it does make sense but at the same time, grrr lol

It kinda makes sense, but also, it wasn't like this previously.

Good: we can save a couple swings of salvage tool durability (I'm in very early game so that's actually good for me atm)

Bad: new players might fall into thinking all "beds" are chopped instead of salvaged, so Springs will be real scarce for them.

2 hours ago, STyK_ said:

I just said I did handle it didn't I? I had to tear open the roof to even the odds after I spotted him but this is all beside the point! Should I find the quote?

We need some variety in the danger else the quests will end up same and boring. 

Dogs. Cats. Budgies. Any blunt instrument or fire will kill all that scurrys, runs or crawls. The fun part is working out how to do it and keep a leg. 

Embrace the challenge my fellow survivor and enjoy. :)

Just now, STyK_ said:

Its like this. You wouldn't have a landmine in a tier 1 poi would you? You leave that to the higher tiers. If it has a dog it shouldn't be a tier 1 poi.

i could see a landmine being in a tier 1 poi, blocking a way, maybe guarding a secret stash or a warehouse box, its something survivors might do in reality, so i personally can see it.

9 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

i could see a landmine being in a tier 1 poi, blocking a way, maybe guarding a secret stash or a warehouse box, its something survivors might do in reality, so i personally can see it.

As odd as this sounds, I'd rather be mauled by a bear on night one, once in every 50 games on average or so, rather than having bears be guaranteed NOT to spawn until day 35 when I'd be equipped to defeat them. Sure I might die, but it adds just that little bit more excitement, not just in terms of gameplay, but for a tad bit of realism as well; it shows that you are not the center of the universe and that anything can happen to you anytime (within reason), even if it is indeed unfair. A dog spawn at a T1 POI isn't a big issue imo, unless we're talking about new players here; I can see them rage quitting the game if a dog mauled them within the first 10 minutes, but then again they might also rage quit if a zombie cornered them and they died on day 1, or if they attempted to smack a car with a stone axe and it exploded.

7 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Its like this. You wouldn't have a landmine in a tier 1 poi would you? You leave that to the higher tiers. If it has a dog it shouldn't be a tier 1 poi.

I'm in the middle on this. If there's a clear indicator, and a fairly straight forward way to get the drop on them, then I'd be ok with it.

Like an enclosed back yard but you can see the dog house through the chainlink fence. Even if there's only see-thru fence for a cars width. If a player doesn't do a 360 degree scout on a poi before heading in that's on them in my book.

Having an auto-trigger dog right on the other side of a door the path sends you through, no, not for a T1 Quest imo.

4 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Does it matter in what kind of POI a landmine is? A player is free to go inside whatever POI he wants so he might stumble across landmines on day 1. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me. Everyone has to eventually experience landmines and usually that happens by trying to pick up the "pot" and die. Does not matter whether that happens on day 1 or day 10 if you ask me as it only happens once.

Same with dogs inside a POI. Even on day 1 with a level 1 stone club you can take down a single dog. But what if the player prefers to go inside the huge buildings first? That's what I did. My first visit when I was new to the game (A18) was the Pop&Pills hospital in Navezgane on day 1 with landmines, dogs and everything in it. My first death was due to me standing on spikes in front of a door without knowing about spikes. I have died countless times in there, especially at nightfall. I loved the challenge (which was only a challenge because I was a noob) and in the end felt excitement for that game immediately. Personally, I do expect a survival game to be challenging.

Edit: For example, there's a construction site POI with a zombie bear spawn in it, down in cave. I've seen plenty of 7D2D reddit posts of new players being freaked out that they died to the thing. Should that bear spawn be removed? Should the zombie bears be removed from the Bear Den, and dogs and wolves from Doggos, until x day or gamestage? I'd argue no.

21 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Because Madmole said pretty much the opposite on a live dev stream, don't recall hearing 'oh except for the hard coded poi's'

Then he was mistaken or you misunderstood since there has been a dog horde coded to appear anywhere from Day 2 to Day 5 depending on how fast you are increasing your gamestage since forever and I don’t see any change to the wandering hordes for A19. 

What I believe he was talking about was normal biome spawns. Predators won’t spawn during the day in the forest as a regular wilderness spawn, but that doesn’t include wandering hordes or POI spawns. 

so you should never get a daytime wolf randomly showing up as you travel through the forest But you COULD get a wolf wandering horde during the day in the forest. In like manner, the Bear Den isn’t going to be empty because you walked into it at 10am on Day One. There WILL be bears even though as long as you don’t travel at night you would no longer run into a wilderness bear at that time of day. 

Hope that clears it up for you. 

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

What I believe he was talking about was normal biome spawns. Predators won’t spawn during the day in the forest as a regular wilderness spawn, but that doesn’t include wandering hordes or POI spawns. 

Correction: Unless this has been changed in this most recent patch, regular wolves have a very rare chance of spawning during the day in the forest biome.

19 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

A landmine at the default level of play one shot kills. Even going in with primitive gear and reacting perfectly it is likely to kill you. 

A dog at the default level of play is unlikely to one shot kill. Geared up with primitive gear and reacting perfectly you are likely to kill it. 

So I agree a landmine is an iffy choice for a tier 1 POI but not a dog.

2 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Does it matter in what kind of POI a landmine is? A player is free to go inside whatever POI he wants so he might stumble across landmines on day 1. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me. Everyone has to eventually experience landmines and usually that happens by trying to pick up the "pot" and die. Does not matter whether that happens on day 1 or day 10 if you ask me as it only happens once.

Same with dogs inside a POI. Even on day 1 with a level 1 stone club you can take down a single dog. But what if the player prefers to go inside the huge buildings first? That's what I did. My first visit when I was new to the game (A18) was the Pop&Pills hospital in Navezgane on day 1 with landmines, dogs and everything in it. My first death was due to me standing on spikes in front of a door without knowing about spikes. I have died countless times in there, especially at nightfall. I loved the challenge (which was only a challenge because I was a noob) and in the end felt excitement for that game immediately. Personally, I do expect a survival game to be challenging.

What diff are you referring to you can take down a zombie dog on on day 1 with a club? doesn't sound like nightmare speed or insane diff. Tier 1's get you geared to take on the rest of the world, if they have things your not equipped to take on your taking away from the point of your trader quests in the beginning. 

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Correction: Unless this has been changed in this most recent patch, regular wolves have a very rare chance of spawning during the day in the forest biome.

You are correct. There is a very rare chance. 

2 minutes ago, STyK_ said:
9 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

What diff are you referring to you can take down a zombie dog on on day 1 with a club? doesn't sound like nightmare speed or insane diff.

Now you are getting the point! 🤩

It’s just that you can’t believe it’s true that balancing is designed around default. 😢

Let me put it this way:  You are correct that things are stacked against you when you select nightmare and insane. The dog in the gas station is working as intended. Adjust your expectations accordingly. 

2 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

What diff are you referring to you can take down a zombie dog on on day 1 with a club? doesn't sound like nightmare speed or insane diff. Tier 1's get you geared to take on the rest of the world, if they have things your not equipped to take on your taking away from the point of your trader quests in the beginning. 

It's a "50/50" situation we're talking about here. Yes, having mines spawn in T1 POI's, remnants included, would be sketchy because a lot of new players (from what I assume at least) start doing T1 quests before they are ready to "take on the rest of the world". However, there is no magical barrier blocks entry to other higher tier POI's until you're x gamestage, so a new player, or a new character even, could easily walk into a T3 POI, make their way through a couple rooms, and then die to a sneaky landmine trap.

My general conclusion is this: perhaps dogs should be able to spawn in certain T1 POI's on day one (the ones that are hardcoded to spawn those vicious canines), but only if they are hardcoded not to detect you until you get relatively close to them (or you attack them), and/or the animal should be exposed so that it's impossible to miss it.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived