Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

51 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That's why I stated no numbers.

They would be meaningless to all but a few who know the game mechanics on a first name base.

Very true; let's assume it's a 30% nerf. Hardly anyone would know what 30% actually means, other than "big number bad" in caveman talk. 

Edit: Nevermind, it's fine. Literally, it's fine, no changes needed.

5 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I think it's better than the last iteration.  Day 1 and I'm seeing tons of small game (3 chickens and 2 rabbits killed) on my way to the trader.  High ground and staying near the roads helps spot the little critters especially when not perked into animal tracking.

To my surprise I see a bear near the trader as I go in (Border of forest/snow biome).  When I'm done with the trader the bear ambushes me as I come out (my fault for not checking) and the tom and jerry spoof begins...

Thanks to quick thinking I was able to ditch the bear by jumping on trader jens roof and kill it after 20 or so arrows to the skull.

Guess meat is back on the menu boys!  Fun and exhilirating!!!! 

A19.0_2020-07-16_20-22-05.jpg

I agree this was ALMOST a gold improvement and I find it exhilarating too.  I'm concerned about newbies (TM).

Shouldn't they(TM) have at least 1 day grace period without animal predators of any kind? Just sayin'.

2 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I agree this was ALMOST a gold improvement and I find it exhilarating too.  I'm concerned about newbies (TM).

Shouldn't they(TM) have at least 1 day grace period without animal predators of any kind? Just sayin'.

Agreed. To my knowledge, wandering hordes don't spawn on day 1 either.

Overall I think wildlife spawning should be gamestaged, including in the forests. Wolves are a threat during the first days, past that, with 2 blunderbusses on your belt there's nothing to fear about. I wish direwolves/bears spawns would be gamestaged instead of being flat out removed from daytime spawns.

b163 had it way overtuned but right now running around is as safe as can be again, which is kinda boring.

15 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Overall I think wildlife spawning should be gamestaged, including in the forests. Wolves are a threat during the first days, past that, with 2 blunderbusses on your belt there's nothing to fear about. I wish direwolves/bears spawns would be gamestaged instead of being flat out removed from daytime spawns.

b163 had it way overtuned but right now running around is as safe as can be again, which is kinda boring.

Mmm . I don't agree on the more predator density in late game part . So more meats on wheels when you have more power in order to have even more power now that you are absolutely not hungry? . Nah. Though I agree about the threat part. I miss the "danger feeling" and I will welcome it at late gamestages if it doesn't unbalance the game.

But you really shouldn't worry. They have an Event System in the wish list that I'm guessing it's definitely going to be gamestaged. Imagine hordes, survivors asking for help, random faction battles... in other words, something like Bethesda games' road encounters.

For now, this animal balance rocks, except the predators on day 1 part.

22 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Imo if you have a difference between hunting a rabbit and a chicken, always pick the former, but both if you can. Rabbits flip and flop all over the place and require precision, timing, and most importantly, stealth. Chickens on the other hand are slower than the player, die in one hit to a level 1 wooden club, and they drop the same amount of meat; the only difference is they drop feathers instead of a tiny amount of leather (and animal fat?). Perhaps chickens should be rebalanced to be slightly faster than the player, or at about the same speed?

I'm loving alpha 19, I just feel like ammo is to easy to find and comes with too of it much in loot. I'm day 2 in my world and I already have 100 pistol ammo and alot of rifle ammo as well lol I think when you find ammo you should find maybe 1 or 2 bullets at a time. Its harder to get feathers to make arrows then to get bullets. You could pretty much skip the bow and go straight to a pistol or blunderbuss. 

Maybe its lucky looter that needs to be nerfed. I spected 1 point into lucky looter and you can tell the difference is alot. You can find really good stuff early on if you just put one point in it after the tutorial. I just don't want to be a level 3 powerhouse you know 😂😂😂 but good work I like the new graphics and how you could get injured now. Great update overall guys especially during this pandemic.

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm probably going to restart if I'm being honest. Here I am at 0,0 in a tiny town filled with almost exclusively remnant POI's. I just finished the first trader to trader quest after banging out many buried supplies. Trader Jen is 2.8 km away. I was planning on moving to a new town on my bike, but it seems that's not going to happen. Oh well, I didn't really like my start anyway, number of animal kills aside.

If I were you I would relocate to Trader Jen. If she is the nearest one to your first trader it means there is a high chance all the other traders are packed together in the area Jen is in.

5 hours ago, VirtualExodus said:

Anyone know how I can roll back to A19 B-163. While im aware of the issues/dangers of playing in an unstable build, 169 even for a beta is far to unpolished and lacks a lot of quality checks that should of been done before releasing (Personal opinion, keep your hate to yourself) Steel Knuckles left click also does not work, I imagine this is due to the changes they made with harvesting. Right click still works however and other gloves work fully as intended. 

Roll-back is impossible if you didn't prepare it AFAIK. If you want the ability you either have to make copies of your game directory that you can start manually or you need something like the mod launcher who has the ability too I think

32 minutes ago, Hazitru said:

I'm loving alpha 19, I just feel like ammo is to easy to find and comes with too of it much in loot. I'm day 2 in my world and I already have 100 pistol ammo and alot of rifle ammo as well lol I think when you find ammo you should find maybe 1 or 2 bullets at a time. Its harder to get feathers to make arrows then to get bullets. You could pretty much skip the bow and go straight to a pistol or blunderbuss. 

Maybe its lucky looter that needs to be nerfed. I spected 1 point into lucky looter and you can tell difference is alot. You can find really good stuff early on if you just put one point in it after the tutorial. I just don't want to be a level 3 powerhouse you know 😂😂😂 but good work I like the new graphics and how you could get injured now. Great update overall guys especially during this pandemic.

Interesting. Someone else found out the difference LL1 makes below player level 20 is less than 1 gamestage. In other words, chance has fooled you.

6 minutes ago, meganoth said:

If I were you I would relocate to Trader Jen. If she is the nearest one to your first trader it means there is a high chance all the other traders are packed together in the area Jen is in.

Too late, world is gone. 😛 I tried a couple worlds after that and RWG was about as poor to me, so I took a break for the rest of today. Maybe tomorrow I'll resume, after I get some shut-eye.

8 hours ago, madmole said:

It is fine, when said assets are placed by professional developers, i.e. used with a budget in the POI. When given free reign to users is where there is a potential for draw calls/poly counts to break FPS. We are nearly done adding environment art anyway.

Maybe down the road there could be an "Allow Vanity Crafting" world setting that enables the recipe for Vanity Blocks which function like wood/metal furniture items, mainly for private servers where griefing isn't an issue.

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I disagree. Not that you are wrong necessarily but I think the type of player this game markets to is not the type to quit after one death on day one, but the type of player that says to themselves "Ok, I have to be more careful next time." and then tries again. The survival game genre.  That is an appeal of it's own.

I also like meat that delivers itself.

7 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

The POI in question. (The one that had a feral spider zombie in it on day 1. No idea if it's a T3 or a T4.)

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-17_11_42_30_PM.thumb.png.1d0eee06221258bbe6e780ced2092a0e.png

new feature added to DBS it also shows us the poi if standing in its bound box.

the poi is house old victorian 01 and it does have a single spawn badass in it.

S_-_Group_Zom_Badass_Only,1,1
:)
QA Tester-unholyjoe

2 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

from what i see in this poi (house_old_victorian_01), there is a sleeper grp of badass and only the 1 spawn.

<property name="SleeperVolumeGroup" value="S_-_Group_Zom_Badass_Only,1,1,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,3,3,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,9,10,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,1,1,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,1,1,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,2,3" />

QA Tester-unholyjoe
[/COLOR][/B]

Intentional or unintentional? :)

4 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

from what i see in this poi (house_old_victorian_01), there is a sleeper grp of badass and only the 1 spawn.

<property name="SleeperVolumeGroup" value="S_-_Group_Zom_Badass_Only,1,1,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,3,3,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,9,10,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,1,1,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,1,1,S_-Group_Generic_Zombie,2,3" />

QA Tester-unholyjoe
[/COLOR][/B]

Intentional or unintentional? :)

(No idea what happened to that message above; was asking if that spawn was intentional or unintentional. Apologies if this reply gets merged with the rest.)

7 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

the poi is house old victorian 01 and it does have a single spawn badass in it.

S_-_Group_Zom_Badass_Only,1,1
QA Tester-unholyjoe

Thats cool! gives me a bit 

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

(No idea what happened to that message above; was asking if that spawn was intentional or unintentional. Apologies if this reply gets merged with the rest.)

intentional by the looks of it. you most likely stumbled onto this poi and investigated it.... curiosity kills the cat. :)

<property name="DifficultyTier" value="3" />

QA Tester-unholyjoe

1 minute ago, unholyjoe said:

intentional by the looks of it. you most likely stumbled onto this poi and investigated it.... curiosity kills the cat. :)

<property name="DifficultyTier" value="3" />

QA Tester-unholyjoe

Good. :) I "hated" the encounter, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It definitely caught me off guard. In other words, please never remove this. :)

48 minutes ago, Vintorez said:

Maybe down the road there could be an "Allow Vanity Crafting" world setting that enables the recipe for Vanity Blocks which function like wood/metal furniture items, mainly for private servers where griefing isn't an issue.

Just add the items to the trader list or allow the user to have a small chance to "harvest" the items when they are destroyed. No need to burden the developers with such trivial stuff. Just do it yourself.

Archived