Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

9 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Ok. Here's my feedback. Game starts, day one at 7:00. At 7:10I found a wolf standing in front of me at the road.

Call it pot luck or an unfortunate event.

The spawns are perfect. We need to work harder for hunt and It's fairly common in small doses.

The only thing that is needed is the NO chance for wolfs, direwolfs, dogs, bears or zombie bears on day 1 at the very least. I didn't mind though, but I'm not neewie and can quickly make a makeshift wood tower and spawn spikes out of my butt just for 1 animal. If I happened to stumble upon it as a new player , what then?

100% death guaranteed.

This was a regular wolf, meaning it CAN happen.

Loving it, I enjoy the new hunting changes overall. Last iteration was like the videogame "Subsistence".

100% survival guaranteed, if they run.

Glad you like it.

9 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. 🤔

I was making a joke because you play 90 minute days, like you were on 24 hour days now and were level 70 at the end of day 1 and that was how you got a spider.

1 minute ago, madmole said:

Glad you like it.

I was making a joke because you play 90 minute days, like you were on 24 hour days now and were level 70 at the end of day 1 and that was how you got a spider.

Oh. Well then, ha ha ha, very funny. ;)

But trust me, I could get to level 70 on day 1 on 10 minute days if I put my mind to it. ;)

9 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Animal Tracker is a game changer honestly. I managed to kill well over a dozen rabbits and chickens each within the first couple in-game days. I wasn't even actively hunting, I was just acting like a magpie.

Yeah its not needed at all, I had a few days that were a little tight on food then another chicken ran in front of me and I was fine. With the perk it would be pretty easy I'm guessing. At least MP people can finally eat and SP people have a small challenge and I figured out a way to do it with no code.

7 hours ago, Guppys Fur said:

Mr. Mole,

i understand the Problem.

Alltough it would be artificial, why not have a limit of high Poly Blocks/Decorations all together count to in a chunk?

If thats reached the game doesnt let you set any more of them. and gives a small error message when attempting to place.

Or something similiar, i think you get my intention :)

I hope im not alone drooling every time i see such a block and would love to customize my base even more :)

Because I'm the only staff at TFP who builds vanity forts and I'm not pushing to add more features when we have clunky building, clunky combat, no pipe guns, no bandits, no Duke/Noah, poor FPS and 2 other games to ship, and a huge list of QOL improvements to make. We're not deliberately doing something that is going to for sure affect performance and clog inventory or crafting menus that a modder can do in 2 minutes or anyone can cm in 2 seconds.

But yeah that is how Fallout 4 managed it, but the first thing anyone wants to do is get a mod to get disable that limit. We were just talking about how fast Christmas will be here and for us to be stable in A20 by November we'd have to only have 3 months of production time, which isn't much. That will for sure be no bandits for A20 already, and probably just QOL and pipe guns and new pois and zombies for A20 is about all we can do realistically. So you see how stacking more stuff on that isn't needed really hoses the average player.

6 hours ago, beHypE said:

Regarding crits, isn't the chance to get one too low? 16 hour long playthrough with my friends on warrior difficulty, and we only experienced one concussion while getting hit a tremendous amount of times. Seems to me it could use a buff (or a nerf, for that matter). 

Yes every week we have a meeting with Gazz and say "TURN THAT @%$*#! UP". Until I hear people crying here that it is too many crits, I KNOW it isn't high enough. An entire system is offline basically. I have meds pile up and no use for them.

There is another issue, and MP doesn't get crits as much as SP, and its not hard enough in SP yet.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

Because I'm the only staff at TFP who builds vanity forts and I'm not pushing to add more features when we have clunky building, clunky combat, no pipe guns, no bandits, no Duke/Noah, poor FPS and 2 other games to ship, and a huge list of QOL improvements to make. We're not deliberately doing something that is going to for sure affect performance and clog inventory or crafting menus that a modder can do in 2 minutes or anyone can cm in 2 seconds.

But yeah that is how Fallout 4 managed it, but the first thing anyone wants to do is get a mod to get disable that limit. We were just talking about how fast Christmas will be here and for us to be stable in A20 by November we'd have to only have 3 months of production time, which isn't much. That will for sure be no bandits for A20 already, and probably just QOL and pipe guns and new pois and zombies for A20 is about all we can do realistically. So you see how stacking more stuff on that isn't needed really hoses the average player.

It may be a little bit late to say this, but try not to rush things. :)  ;)

1 hour ago, Cork55 said:

Just add the items to the trader list or allow the user to have a small chance to "harvest" the items when they are destroyed. No need to burden the developers with such trivial stuff. Just do it yourself.

If I was the only player who wanted wanted to add aesthetic decorations to my bases, sure. But tons of people play on private servers with their friends and would like to build bases that are more than pure functionality and having an in-game way to enable such styles would go a long way. Plus I literally mentioned it as something to do "down the road" after the more core aspects of the game are implemented.

14 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm sure someone will mod in craft everything, 

Hey... No modding talk... I won't warn you again. 🙂

But seriously, what's with the hitch when zombies spawn in? It's even more noticeable with "that word" zombies... Especially on disk drives. I think the patch notes alluded to something that would cause this (no more preloading?), and was wondering if this was a temporary situation for a greater future fix?

May be a @faatal question...

11 hours ago, madmole said:

It is fine, when said assets are placed by professional developers, i.e. used with a budget in the POI. When given free reign to users is where there is a potential for draw calls/poly counts to break FPS. We are nearly done adding environment art anyway.

I noticed the tools in the prefab editor, what is the tfp ideal performance count for prefabs?

Please can we have some warning or just not collect quest rewards when our inventory is full. I collected 20 Molotov's but as (unaware) my inventory was full they dropped instantly to the ground causing total fire and anarchy for me and the trader. Another time I just lost my reward to again a full inventory.

Plus ....

I am still having massive pauses in game whilst something gets loaded in its really a problem in this build, I can not be the only one surely ?

In Fallout I disable the count for settlements yes.

I've also added a few items for the cool base look. (Canadian items all over the US. heh)

There are a lot of items in FO4 you can't craft unless someone mods in the recipe.

So having items that we can't craft YET, is fine.  CM for now, and once it's gold, I guarantee someone will mod in all the

extra things.

I'll certainly do another extreme overkill base again. (gonna try for a 200m tower next time, not just 100)  :D

Someone might even mod in some Canadian Imports to liven things up.  (blame the lumberjacks. they're not ok)   😛

Lotsa chickens, rabbits (ignored) and even deer after the update.  Went to my mining pit, hopped in.. grrrrooowwwlll... uh-oh..

Mr Wolf was in the pit. He got to nibble on me while I picked him apart.  😛

Graphics are being weird, but was on a dedi server and did NOT wipe after the update, so could be issues with that. (is why no bug report)

Love A19 though. Ginormous improvement over 18.  :)

4 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

@madmole the new hunting feels great as well like never has been this good 🙂

completely new you see him a lot in the factories 

Thanks. I really like the look of him, the artist did a great job.

I too am enjoying the hunting. I maxed out on the tracking perk, first time I have ever done so and really enjoy tracking down animals. It’s nice to have the sprite on screen when a bunny runs into the tall grass, I can still track him down. The only issue I seem to be having with it though is if there is an animal inside a POI, I can detect an animals tracks, but the sprite doesn’t appear on screen or on my compass. I don’t know if this is an intended feature or if animals aren’t supposed to be spawning inside POI’s at all, it just started with b169. I also can’t say for sure if they are spawning inside the POI’s or are just wandering inside either.

15 hours ago, madmole said:

It shouldn't be way more OP than the perk. It still is, but at least its not crazy now.

isnt the perk 30% on max? 

15 hours ago, madmole said:

It only takes 12 shots to the chest to kill a basic zed.

"only"

are we talkin about zeds or robocop? :D

2 hours ago, madmole said:

We were just talking about how fast Christmas will be here and for us to be stable in A20 by November we'd have to only have 3 months of production time, which isn't much. That will for sure be no bandits for A20 already, and probably just QOL and pipe guns and new pois and zombies for A20 is about all we can do realistically. So you see how stacking more stuff on that isn't needed really hoses the average player.

Yup, production realities are always much more limiting than people think they are.  Yall keep on keeping on :).  I've enjoyed how the game has grown and evolved personally and the steam chart numbers for a 7 year old PVE game seem to show yall are doing a pretty good job.  I can't think of many PVE oriented games that keep growing after 2 years, much less 5/7.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

Yes every week we have a meeting with Gazz and say "TURN THAT @%$*#! UP". Until I hear people crying here that it is too many crits, I KNOW it isn't high enough. An entire system is offline basically. I have meds pile up and no use for them.

There is another issue, and MP doesn't get crits as much as SP, and its not hard enough in SP yet.

I think by day 35 I had only encountered crit conditions about 5 times total so on a personal level I'd agree.  OTOH I'm a very experienced and careful player so I prolly get hit alot less than your average player and when I DO  get hit it's at max/high health and without abrasions (which I've seen maybe 10 times).  So my experience is likely not representative of your average player.

3 hours ago, madmole said:

A compromise though could be to add more variety of vanity items to the trader, they don't seem to sell very many and they tend to be the same ones. If this is easy to mod in though, then I'll look into modding it in myself as well.

9 minutes ago, Gromit said:

A compromise though could be to add more variety of vanity items to the trader, they don't seem to sell very many and they tend to be the same ones. If this is easy to mod in though, then I'll look into modding it in myself as well.

They do a lot of that already IMO.

...clogs up the useful stuff... 

1 hour ago, Jay_ombie said:

I am still having massive pauses in game whilst something gets loaded in its really a problem in this build, I can not be the only one surely ?

Nah it's not just you. I've noticed increased hitching and stalling when loading chunks with most recent patch as well. I suspect it happens during loading and unloading blocks from VRAM - cause I notice the VRAM usage fluctuate much more now than before and I notice this occur during those periods of the most fluctuation.

4 minutes ago, Doctor3D said:

Nah it's not just you. I've noticed increased hitching and stalling when loading chunks with most recent patch as well. I suspect it happens during loading and unloading blocks from VRAM - cause I notice the VRAM usage fluctuate much more now than before and I notice this occur during those periods of the most fluctuation.

Entities are no longer preloaded.

6 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Entities are no longer preloaded.

Could be what it is, then. Do entities have mips like blocks? I know they appeared to have less animation frames the further out the were (sliding zombies) - if you could reduce texture size and poly count on zeds and other entities depending on how far away they are - you might be able to greatly reduce the chug as they load in.

4 hours ago, madmole said:

Now that you mention it, this threats were not close close, but maybe 1 chunk from spawn. Oh well. At least there's a chance to avoid them.

Loading screen tip 24 : Madmole enjoys to see new players getting mauled on day 1 while he laughs on his shivel chair.

36 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Now that you mention it, this threats were not close close, but maybe 1 chunk from spawn. Oh well. At least there's a chance to avoid them.

Loading screen tip 24 : Madmole enjoys to see new players getting mauled on day 1 while he laughs on his shivel chair.

i would if i was in joels shoes!

i would also summon Zombie Deer to gore the new survivors!

Archived