madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

43 minutes ago, rivle said:

Im really enjoying b169 so far. Early game loot feels now more rewardable for me because there is more schematics in chests.

The only thing I don’t like is that I’m swimming in food. It might be nice for people who are playing with friends in coop etc. but not for singleplayer. But it’s just my opinion, I know there are others who don’t like food scarcity.

Im on day 4 right now (60 min, nomad) and this is how my food chest looks:

food.png

That sound crazy not gonna lie. As a 3-man party in MP, end of day 3 doesn't look like this at all. It used to with lions / direwolves / bears everywhere in the previous build. We're not dying by any means but we get by without feeling large at all. Are you blasting through POIs with a gun you bought ?

51 minutes ago, rivle said:

Im really enjoying b169 so far. Early game loot feels now more rewardable for me because there is more schematics in chests.

The only thing I don’t like is that I’m swimming in food. It might be nice for people who are playing with friends in coop etc. but not for singleplayer. But it’s just my opinion, I know there are others who don’t like food scarcity.

Im on day 4 right now (60 min, nomad) and this is how my food chest looks:

food.png

I noticed you have alot of corn.  Did you hit up some of those OP POIs like Bob's Boar and/or the huge corn field in Navezgane?

5 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I noticed you have alot of corn.  Did you hit up some of those OP POIs like Bob's Boar and/or the huge corn field in Navezgane?

huge corn field and bought some from trader.

9 minutes ago, beHypE said:

That sound crazy not gonna lie. As a 3-man party in MP, end of day 3 doesn't look like this at all. It used to with lions / direwolves / bears everywhere in the previous build. We're not dying by any means but we get by without feeling large at all. Are you blasting through POIs with a gun you bought ?

No im a melee player. I have a lvl 3 wooden club right now. I killed a wolf and 2 boars with my blunderbuss. On day 3 in the morning there was a bear inside the building where I have my base right now. He killed me once but I managed to get my stuff back and killed him. The rest of the meat is from 2 rabbits and a lot chickens. I just kill them when they are on my way if I go from A to B. 

I bought some eggs from trader and some canned food from vending machine. Most of my food is just from loot.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I guess it makes sense with all that wildlife you came across. We didn't meet any wildlife besides rabbits/chickens and 1 boar from a POI, and we have triple the foodsink all the time. That death of yours may have restored some missing food aswell. I guess food needs some love with a clever mechanic to deal with both SP and MP, maybe a slider would be the easiest way.

The situation feels very good for 3-man parties right now. You definitely have to get out of your way to sustain yourself, but it's never too punishing or oppressing either. One of us goes master chef and another goes living off the land, it's relatively cheap and it does the trick after some time. It feels rewarding when you have a dozen farm plots running, and that's usually when the ball starts rolling.

Edited by beHypE (see edit history)

It seems like it is now perfect balanced for a 3 player party. I agree with you that we need some mechanic in the future that scales with how many people you play. I only can say for myself, right now its unbalanced for singleplayer.

Some people like me like food scarcity and others don’t. At the end TFP decides in what direction we go.

2 hours ago, Star69 said:

@MM.    You guys have made my favorite melee weapon, the stun baton, crazy better and close to being over powered with the candy and taser mod. I have a blast taking on decent sized hordes and rarely taking damage if my timing is right. Totally enjoy it, intellect is definitely my favorite.

Hunting is a major improvement. We have a dedicated server with usually 6 playing and so far have not had to make a separate box for raw meat. Chickens & rabbits are plentiful, maybe too plentiful but I need to play longer to give an adequate opinion. So far loving it. Thanks for a great job!

Awesome, and everyone said INT was worthless.

29 minutes ago, rivle said:

It seems like it is now perfect balanced for a 3 player party. I agree with you that we need some mechanic in the future that scales with how many people you play. I only can say for myself, right now its unbalanced for singleplayer.

Some people like me like food scarcity and others don’t. At the end TFP decides in what direction we go.

I barely got enough to scrape by on in single player. I didn't choose any perks to increase harvest or animal tracker though, and I didn't go hunting, I went to do quests for the trader and killed what I saw with my own eyes. Are you going out at night and hunting predators? Were you just hunting all day? I could see getting that much if all I did was hunt or I had the perks, but it hasn't been crazy. Was this with b169?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, madmole said:

INT...most valuable. :)

Definitely a lot off cool, and much different ways to play this game than when I first started. I never even thought about being some ninja badass wielding an electric baton while popping candy when I first started this game - Game is always full of innovation and cool things - I am loving where the perk system is...I can tell it's getting closer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madmole said:

its not its Fun! IMO its the most "unique" Perk line! 

I mean batons and robots are very unique! i just think personally just a few things are lacking! 

mostly in batons! but im sure in A20 there will be new tiers for the Batons! Range weapons would be nice but its like adding sprinkles on a Nice Sundae! 

overall keep up the work on intellect! PS i love the Junk sledge! and can't wait for the drone!

*COUGH COUGH! JUNK AND PLASMA BATON COUGH COUGH!   

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, madmole said:

I barely got enough to scrape by on in single player. I didn't choose any perks to increase harvest or animal tracker though, and I didn't go hunting, I went to do quests for the trader and killed what I saw with my own eyes. Are you going out at night and hunting predators? Were you just hunting all day? I could see getting that much if all I did was hunt or I had the perks, but it hasn't been crazy. Was this with b169?

Same here, no perks to increase harvest or animal tracker. Was all night inside my base and never did active hunting. I just did trader quests and if I have seen chickens on my way to missions I killed them. I usually ignore rabbits because they are annoying to hunt. In my game there were 2 rabbits who had no way to escape I killed them.

It’s a new game with b169.

1 bear + 1 wolf inside the poi where I live + 2 boars + 2 rabbits and all the chickens on my way.

Edited by rivle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Also i like how feral zombies have White eyes now!

Very nice touch!

like there eyes are a white void staring into your soul i like it but it seems only some zombies have it so i'm guessing it isn't intended and maybe a graphical bug i dunno 

2 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

like there eyes are a white void staring into your soul i like it but it seems only some zombies have it so i'm guessing it isn't intended and maybe a graphical bug i dunno 

I hope it is cuz it looks scary!

i was walking around the road and at night a saw 2 white eyes looking at me and i crouched and i walked passed them! 

16 hours ago, Gazz said:

This one has been nerfed to a state of being ridiculously OP.

Yeah, I don't normally like stuff I use being nerfed, but Auto Shottie is still the best weapon in the game bar none, undeniably lol. Which is quite the upset since it's always been M60 as the king of end game

Since Int doesn't have a Tier 3 offense weapon (or tier 3 at all atm) do you guys intend to balance Dual Junk turrets to be on par with the other classes Tier 3 weapons?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Yeah, I don't normally like stuff I use being nerfed, but Auto Shottie is still the best weapon in the game bar none, undeniably lol. Which is quite the upset since it's always been M60 as the king of end game

Since Int doesn't have a Tier 3 offense weapon (or tier 3 at all atm) do you guys intend to balance Dual Junk turrets to be on par with the other classes Tier 3 weapons?

remember! The junk drone will be Tier 3 for robotic expert!

it would be nice if there was ranged weapons for intellect class! but one step at a time! it still needs batons before they even make a new weapon class, at least in my mind!

Spoiler

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

hmmmmmm a intellect ranged weapon i would say probably either a minigun that uses junk ammo that deals 4 damage per shot and has a rpm of 1,200 or maybe some sort of battery rifle i'm not too sure what weapon thats ranged would go with intellect lol

• Like 1

well i have another idea maybe the intellect guy can craft unique weapon mods eh? what do you think of something like a target locator that can find targets from 40 metres away or maybe the ability to craft special ammunition that none of the books or traders sell like incendiary rounds or maybe ballistic rounds

dragons breath to be precise 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

remember! The junk drone will be Tier 3 for robotic expert!

Unless the ideals have changed during development, the Junk Drone isn't an offense weapon, it's a support weapon primarily and just has a stun to help support the user and has heals and storage as extra support utility, which is why I say Int has no Tier 3 equivalent offense weapon. 

Junk Turrets are decent enough but require a LOT more resources for an output that isn't really on par with the other classes tier 3's. It takes twice as many mods and an absolutely MASSIVE amount of resource cost to perform the same job the others can do cheaper. You have set up time for every engagement, and then you'll burn through 10 to 20 thousand iron per PoI if you are using the junk turrets very heavily, when instead you could just whip out a shotgun and clear the entire PoI with 50-100 shotgun shells which are pocket change to craft / find  compared to 2,000-3,000+ Junk Turret ammo, and you'd do it in half the time as the junk turrets with their set up time and pick up time

Another issue with the Junk Drone is all classes can and almost certainly *will* use it, because again, unless it's changed recently, it doesn't scale with perks at all. It's actually *worse* for the Int class than any other class because Mad Mole originally said he wanted it to take a Junk Turret spot. Which would mean int build instantly loses 50% of it's damage output just to use the Junk Drone that's "free" to every other class that couldn't care less about losing a junk turret spot they had no intention on using

I'm sure they will balance it, and have considered these things behind closed doors, but if not, it's always good to mention and talk about

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

What day are u on with all that food?

They're probably on Navezgane. Apparently a lot more of the corn is alive now in the corn field, and they definitely visited Bob's Boars; two and a bit stacks seems about right.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

It still is. 😜

In all seriousness though, Intellect is like a symbiotic relationship. Intellect needs the drones with its stun batons, otherwise the latter is largely ineffective, especially against rad zombies. Out of all the trees, Intellect is certainly the most specialized and it cannot be treated like the other attributes and their weapons; still not something I'll be going under though, not my style of play.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

They're probably on Navezgane. Apparently a lot more of the corn is alive now in the corn field, and they definitely visited Bob's Boars; two and a bit stacks seems about right.

It still is. 😜

In my own experience, anyway - it's so far the most fun path. And once you've maxed it and you're a badass - the icing on the top is charismatic nature perk. 😛

Just now, Doctor3D said:

In my own experience, anyway - it's so far the most fun path. And once you've maxed it and you're a badass - the icing on the top is *censored* perk. 😛

Don't mention the name of that perk in front of me ever again. 😛

13 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Don't mention the name of that perk in front of me ever again. 😛

me who plays alone!

Worried laughter.] | Team Fortress 2 | Know Your Meme

23 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

nono its not navezgane and i never visited Bobs`s in my current game.

3 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

SATA SSD and a 4GB VRAM card and I get them pretty badly too.

That no preloading thing needs to go, and we need some texture size options for the TERRAIN if it's that much of a concern.

Yea, the change made it worse for me too.

2 minutes ago, rivle said:

nono its not navezgane and i never visited Bobs`s in my current game.

In that case, RNGesus has been very kind to you. 🙂

Hi @faatal , I've been playing for a while now, and I thought you could use this feedback:

Full wipe (files+appdata) + reinstall. New map (RWG 4k x 4k)

The biggest and most screenfreezing performance drops come from  a bunch of console warnings that read in yellow something like: "failed to load in chunk (numbers numbers) blablabla (nameoftheblock)." Said blocks include Couch_01, some cars... etc. How bad of a frame drop? I go from 60 to ~1 fps for no more than 5 seconds and then the warning pops internally ( I need to press f1 to notice it). Happens in multiplayer. Didn't test in singleplayer.

The second case of performace drops comes from the instaspawn of Zds and animals both after death and when moving through the world. They respawn instantly and sometimes in numbers above 1 (can be seen in console) and can result in big short drops in performance. I'd rather see more entities but with at least a few seconds between each spawn (no need to be more than 5 seconds). Even wandering hordes should wait 1 second per Zd because while they are not that common, the moment they spawn I can feel it.

To add to this info, 1 entity spawning drops performance 10-15 fps (from 60 to 40-45fps) for a couple of seconds .

When spawning more than one instantly the fps drop  18-40fps for 3 to 5 seconds.

Tunning spawn rates to be a bit separated between entities will benefit all players and should not affect gameplay in any way .