madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, madmole said:

You probably don't HAVE to restart, but continue your old save at your own risk.

I was planning on restarting anyway. Today is been one heck of a ride, that's for sure. I spawned in probably the hilliest geographical location I have seen in the past two alphas, which was alright; the trader was nearly a kilometer from my current location anyway. After harvesting trees, looting and destroying birds nests, and breaking down some stone for the morning, I began looting what I assumed to be an innocent suburban house atop a hill a good 100 meters away from spawn. I was in for a nasty surprise however - one of the first zombies I encountered was a feral spider zombie, and it took me quite a while, and sacrificing most of my HP, to kill it. A little further on was the main loot room, filled with a good 15-20 zombies. Standing atop the sewage pipe I pelted them with arrows, although a couple lucky ones managed to leap on each other's shoulders and basically launched themselves up to me, which was intense. I was down to 20 health by the end of it, so after looting the main loot stash (acquiring 3 level 2 blunderbusses in the same loot container), I dumped my storage outside and headed off to loot some more birds nest; I had expended a lot of my arrows during the final encounter. After hunting down and harvesting a few chickens and rabbits, I looted another mid-sized home and I only made it back just as the bell tolled. The game was having a laugh today; at no point did I find any canned food or medical supplies other than regular bandages or splints, so here I am tucked in the corner of the original house I had looting, waiting for morning to come before I grab what goods I deem valuable and make my way to the trader and the town they are at. This is probably the first time in years where I've actually had to survive, and I love/hate it. :)

Day 2, hunting is still going well.

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-17_7_51_52_PM.thumb.png.4f5ab67e407ed1904e20f01ac7675902.png

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, madmole said:

The question is, how is the hunting?

The hunt goes well! Wolves have a presence at night that they did not before, and it makes the forests unnerving and more dangerous. I like seeing the small game around, and it makes it somewhat tempting to get that perk that allows you to easily see small game. Definitely gives me a use for my 9mm ammo, at least, though I wish that perk and the fortitude butchery one were merged.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, do you have any thoughts on my shotgun dissertation? It's a long read I know, but I feel I provided some pretty usable solutions.

14 minutes ago, madmole said:

The question is, how is the hunting?

Hunting's been pretty decent so far, I'm quite enjoying it. With the aid of the Animal Tracker perk I've managed to slay a few chickens and a single rabbit today; during one hunting session I had a decision to make: kill the chicken that was pelting away from me, or the rabbit that was beside it that had the same idea. Of course I went with the chicken, but regardless, food's been decent.

24 minutes ago, madmole said:

Its because users could spam high polygon objects on servers and bring the game to its knees. I'm sure someone will mod in craft everything, but we can't allow it for performance concerns.

I'm not arguing with you there, I see that as a perfectly valid reason actually. But wouldn't this concern be shared with players potentially planting hundreds and hundreds of tree saplings that would potentially lag out part of or the entire world on a server once they begin to grow? I haven't been on multiplayer in 7D2D for a couple years now, and I'm pretty sure the difference here is pretty great making this point invalid, but nonetheless wouldn't this fit into the same boat? Or no?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

The hunt goes well! Wolves have a presence at night that they did not before, and it makes the forests unnerving and more dangerous. I like seeing the small game around, and it makes it somewhat tempting to get that perk that allows you to easily see small game. Definitely gives me a use for my 9mm ammo, at least, though I wish that perk and the fortitude butchery one were merged.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, do you have any thoughts on my shotgun dissertation? It's a long read I know, but I feel I provided some pretty usable solutions.

I'm glad you are enjoying hunting.

Sorry but I can't read huge posts unless there is a confirmed issue we're trying to hotfix, I have to cover a lot of ground in a short time so it is best to stick to one liners, or a few sentences at most or I'm just going to skim/skip. The game is playing pretty good if all there is to complain about is shovel balance. There is brand new shotgun balancing released today, so users need to at least put 100 hours in before I'd consider any feedback, and I know it hasn't been 100 hours yet :)

57 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm not arguing with you there, I see that as a perfectly valid reason actually. But wouldn't this concern be shared with players potentially planting hundreds and hundreds of tree saplings that would potentially lag out part of or the entire world on a server once they begin to grow? I haven't been on multiplayer in 7D2D for a couple years now, and I'm pretty sure the difference here is pretty great making this point invalid, but nonetheless wouldn't this fit into the same boat? Or no?

Probably but we're not going to aggravate the problem with vanity forts. You need wood, you don't need 14000 poly coffee pots.

EDIT: Trees have a minimum radius you can place them between, but fancy coffee pots you could put hundreds into one chunk and crash the game probably.

Edited by madmole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Its because users could spam high polygon objects on servers and bring the game to its knees. I'm sure someone will mod in craft everything, but we can't allow it for performance concerns.

I didn't suggest being able to craft these objects, but rather being able to actually remove them intact from POIs as an object that you can then place in your own base. Being able to craft them isn't at all what I asked for. Also if someone wants to troll performance they could just plant a bunch of trees or are you planning on removing those too?

1 minute ago, Gromit said:

I didn't suggest being able to craft these objects, but rather being able to actually remove them intact from POIs as an object that you can then place in your own base. Being able to craft them isn't at all what I asked for. Also if someone wants to troll performance they could just plant a bunch of trees or are you planning on removing those too?

It doesn't matter how you acquire it, as soon as we allow it, the lag potential begins and then it's our job to fix it. Trust me I love vanity forts as much as anyone, but I'll just make a mod for it after we go gold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

It doesn't matter how you acquire it, as soon as we allow it, the lag potential begins and then it's our job to fix it. Trust me I love vanity forts as much as anyone, but I'll just make a mod for it after we go gold.

Fair enough. Seems a shame really because we'd get some pretty cool fallout style bases, but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Gromit said:

Fair enough. Seems a shame really because we'd get some pretty cool fallout style bases, but it is what it is.

At least it's an xml mod and very easy to make.  The responsible folks can have their cake and eat it too without too much difficulty. 😎

• Like 1

I'm not one to stunt development but if this is truly a concern it may time to stop adding assets period. Pretty soon performance gains will be negligible if there is a concern some coffee pots and posters are going to grind things to a halt.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JaxTeller718 said:

I'm not one to stunt development but if this is truly a concern it may time to stop adding assets period. Pretty soon performance gains will be negligible if there is a concern some coffee pots and posters are going to grind things to a halt.

It is fine, when said assets are placed by professional developers, i.e. used with a budget in the POI. When given free reign to users is where there is a potential for draw calls/poly counts to break FPS. We are nearly done adding environment art anyway.

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

NOT FUNNY GAME. Feral spider zombie in a small house on day 1? Wow... 🙄

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-17_6_28_44_PM.thumb.png.3b59baf3e94f2694f57c30369960c41d.png

Not looking good.

Something is telling me I shouldn't have come here...

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-17_6_34_09_PM.thumb.png.b04f84f7e7003d01330b564fd2d60693.png

Not sure how you got a spider on day 1. I know they can spawn at night but in a POI? Oh wait you are probably on 24 hour days now lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, madmole said:

Not sure how you got a spider on day 1. I know they can spawn at night but in a POI? Oh wait you are probably on 24 hour days now lol.

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. 🤔

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

I think there is a sleeper group called "badass zombie only" that can spawn spiders and ferals on day 1.  So that might be working as designed.  Would help to know which POI that is so we can check it out. 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm glad you are enjoying hunting.

Sorry but I can't read huge posts unless there is a confirmed issue we're trying to hotfix, 

Ok. Here's my feedback. Game starts, day one at 7:00. At 7:10I found a wolf standing in front of me at the road.

Call it pot luck or an unfortunate event.

The spawns are perfect. We need to work harder for hunt and It's fairly common in small doses.

The only thing that is needed is the NO chance for wolfs, direwolfs, dogs, bears or zombie bears on day 1 at the very least. I didn't mind though, but I'm not neewie and can quickly make a makeshift wood tower and spawn spikes out of my butt just for 1 animal. If I happened to stumble upon it as a new player , what then?

100% death guaranteed.

This was a regular wolf, meaning it CAN happen.

Loving it, I enjoy the new hunting changes overall. Last iteration was like the videogame "Subsistence".

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I think there is a sleeper group called "badass zombie only" that can spawn spiders and ferals on day 1.  So that might be working as designed.  Would help to know which POI that is so we can check it out. 😎

I'll get a pic taken in a few minutes.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Ok. Here's my feedback. Game starts, day one at 7:00. At 7:10I found a wolf standing in front of me at the road.

Call it pot luck or an unfortunate event.

The spawns are perfect. We need to work harder for hunt and It's fairly common in small doses.

The only thing that is needed is the NO chance for wolfs, direwolfs, dogs, bears or zombie bears on day 1 at the very least. I didn't mind though, but I'm not neewie and can quickly make a makeshift wood tower and spawn spikes out of my butt just for 1 animal. If I happened to stumble upon it as a new player , what then?

100% death guaranteed.

This was a regular wolf, meaning it CAN happen.

Loving it, I enjoy the new hunting changes overall. Last iteration was like the videogame "Subsistence".

I think it's better than the last iteration.  Day 1 and I'm seeing tons of small game (3 chickens and 2 rabbits killed) on my way to the trader.  High ground and staying near the roads helps spot the little critters especially when not perked into animal tracking.

To my surprise I see a bear near the trader as I go in (Border of forest/snow biome).  When I'm done with the trader the bear ambushes me as I come out (my fault for not checking) and the tom and jerry spoof begins...

Thanks to quick thinking I was able to ditch the bear by jumping on trader jens roof and kill it after 20 or so arrows to the skull.

Guess meat is back on the menu boys!  Fun and exhilirating!!!! 

A19.0_2020-07-16_20-22-05.jpg

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I think it's better than the last iteration.  Day 1 and I'm seeing tons of small game (3 chickens and 2 rabbits killed) on my way to the trader.  High ground and staying near the roads helps spot the little critters especially when not perked into animal tracking.

To my surprise I see a bear near the trader as I go in (Border of forest/snow biome).  When I'm done with the trader the bear ambushes me as I come out (my fault for not checking) and the tom and jerry spoof begins...

Thanks to quick thinking I was able to ditch the bear by jumping on trader jens roof and kill it after 20 or so arrows to the skull.

Guess meat is back on the menu boys!  Fun and exhilirating!!!! 

Animal Tracker is a game changer honestly. I managed to kill well over a dozen rabbits and chickens each within the first couple in-game days. I wasn't even actively hunting, I was just acting like a magpie.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Animal Tracker is a game changer honestly. I managed to kill well over a dozen rabbits and chickens each within the first couple in-game days. I wasn't even actively hunting, I was just acting like a magpie.

I agree, now the animal tracking perk has more value as its difficult to see small game among the forest biome thick grass.  I love it!

29 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

He did nothing wrong. 😢  ;)

If he only tried to attack me maybe I would of let him off but oh no he tried to get into trader jen's trailer.  Had to come to the rescue then LOL...

• Haha 1

The POI in question. (The one that had a feral spider zombie in it on day 1. No idea if it's a T3 or a T4.)

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-17_11_42_30_PM.thumb.png.1d0eee06221258bbe6e780ced2092a0e.png

• Thanks 1

It is fine, when said assets are placed by professional developers, i.e. used with a budget in the POI. When given free reign to users is where there is a potential for draw calls/poly counts to break FPS. We are nearly done adding environment art anyway.

Mr. Mole,

i understand the Problem.

Alltough it would be artificial, why not have a limit of high Poly Blocks/Decorations all together count to in a chunk?

If thats reached the game doesnt let you set any more of them. and gives a small error message when attempting to place.

Or something similiar, i think you get my intention :)

I hope im not alone drooling every time i see such a block and would love to customize my base even more :)