Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, madmole said:

It doesn't matter how you acquire it, as soon as we allow it, the lag potential begins and then it's our job to fix it. Trust me I love vanity forts as much as anyone, but I'll just make a mod for it after we go gold.

I'm not one to stunt development but if this is truly a concern it may time to stop adding assets period. Pretty soon performance gains will be negligible if there is a concern some coffee pots and posters are going to grind things to a halt.

10 minutes ago, JaxTeller718 said:

I'm not one to stunt development but if this is truly a concern it may time to stop adding assets period. Pretty soon performance gains will be negligible if there is a concern some coffee pots and posters are going to grind things to a halt.

It is fine, when said assets are placed by professional developers, i.e. used with a budget in the POI. When given free reign to users is where there is a potential for draw calls/poly counts to break FPS. We are nearly done adding environment art anyway.

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

NOT FUNNY GAME. Feral spider zombie in a small house on day 1? Wow... 🙄

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-17_6_28_44_PM.thumb.png.3b59baf3e94f2694f57c30369960c41d.png

Not looking good.

Something is telling me I shouldn't have come here...

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-17_6_34_09_PM.thumb.png.b04f84f7e7003d01330b564fd2d60693.png

Not sure how you got a spider on day 1. I know they can spawn at night but in a POI? Oh wait you are probably on 24 hour days now lol.

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

Not sure how you got a spider on day 1. I know they can spawn at night but in a POI? Oh wait you are probably on 24 hour days now lol.

I think there is a sleeper group called "badass zombie only" that can spawn spiders and ferals on day 1.  So that might be working as designed.  Would help to know which POI that is so we can check it out. 😎

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm glad you are enjoying hunting.

Sorry but I can't read huge posts unless there is a confirmed issue we're trying to hotfix, 

Ok. Here's my feedback. Game starts, day one at 7:00. At 7:10I found a wolf standing in front of me at the road.

Call it pot luck or an unfortunate event.

The spawns are perfect. We need to work harder for hunt and It's fairly common in small doses.

The only thing that is needed is the NO chance for wolfs, direwolfs, dogs, bears or zombie bears on day 1 at the very least. I didn't mind though, but I'm not neewie and can quickly make a makeshift wood tower and spawn spikes out of my butt just for 1 animal. If I happened to stumble upon it as a new player , what then?

100% death guaranteed.

This was a regular wolf, meaning it CAN happen.

Loving it, I enjoy the new hunting changes overall. Last iteration was like the videogame "Subsistence".

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I think there is a sleeper group called "badass zombie only" that can spawn spiders and ferals on day 1.  So that might be working as designed.  Would help to know which POI that is so we can check it out. 😎

I'll get a pic taken in a few minutes.

18 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Ok. Here's my feedback. Game starts, day one at 7:00. At 7:10I found a wolf standing in front of me at the road.

Call it pot luck or an unfortunate event.

The spawns are perfect. We need to work harder for hunt and It's fairly common in small doses.

The only thing that is needed is the NO chance for wolfs, direwolfs, dogs, bears or zombie bears on day 1 at the very least. I didn't mind though, but I'm not neewie and can quickly make a makeshift wood tower and spawn spikes out of my butt just for 1 animal. If I happened to stumble upon it as a new player , what then?

100% death guaranteed.

This was a regular wolf, meaning it CAN happen.

Loving it, I enjoy the new hunting changes overall. Last iteration was like the videogame "Subsistence".

I think it's better than the last iteration.  Day 1 and I'm seeing tons of small game (3 chickens and 2 rabbits killed) on my way to the trader.  High ground and staying near the roads helps spot the little critters especially when not perked into animal tracking.

To my surprise I see a bear near the trader as I go in (Border of forest/snow biome).  When I'm done with the trader the bear ambushes me as I come out (my fault for not checking) and the tom and jerry spoof begins...

Thanks to quick thinking I was able to ditch the bear by jumping on trader jens roof and kill it after 20 or so arrows to the skull.

Guess meat is back on the menu boys!  Fun and exhilirating!!!! 

A19.0_2020-07-16_20-22-05.jpg

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I think it's better than the last iteration.  Day 1 and I'm seeing tons of small game (3 chickens and 2 rabbits killed) on my way to the trader.  High ground and staying near the roads helps spot the little critters especially when not perked into animal tracking.

To my surprise I see a bear near the trader as I go in (Border of forest/snow biome).  When I'm done with the trader the bear ambushes me as I come out (my fault for not checking) and the tom and jerry spoof begins...

Thanks to quick thinking I was able to ditch the bear by jumping on trader jens roof and kill it after 20 or so arrows to the skull.

Guess meat is back on the menu boys!  Fun and exhilirating!!!! 

Animal Tracker is a game changer honestly. I managed to kill well over a dozen rabbits and chickens each within the first couple in-game days. I wasn't even actively hunting, I was just acting like a magpie.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Animal Tracker is a game changer honestly. I managed to kill well over a dozen rabbits and chickens each within the first couple in-game days. I wasn't even actively hunting, I was just acting like a magpie.

I agree, now the animal tracking perk has more value as its difficult to see small game among the forest biome thick grass.  I love it!

1 hour ago, madmole said:

It is fine, when said assets are placed by professional developers, i.e. used with a budget in the POI. When given free reign to users is where there is a potential for draw calls/poly counts to break FPS. We are nearly done adding environment art anyway.

Mr. Mole,

i understand the Problem.

Alltough it would be artificial, why not have a limit of high Poly Blocks/Decorations all together count to in a chunk?

If thats reached the game doesnt let you set any more of them. and gives a small error message when attempting to place.

Or something similiar, i think you get my intention :)

I hope im not alone drooling every time i see such a block and would love to customize my base even more :)

7 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

agreed! they have no uses anymore, maybe they can be used to make homemade painkillers, snow berries in real life where used to relive pain!

or they could be canned to make room for something new! 

I believe they will be used as ingredients for poisoning arrows in the future, when bandits make it in. I also remember something about players being able to gather poison from snakes as well, though I may be just dreaming.

I'm probably going to restart if I'm being honest. Here I am at 0,0 in a tiny town filled with almost exclusively remnant POI's. I just finished the first trader to trader quest after banging out many buried supplies. Trader Jen is 2.8 km away. I was planning on moving to a new town on my bike, but it seems that's not going to happen. Oh well, I didn't really like my start anyway, number of animal kills aside.

5 hours ago, Wastelander said:

if it's not too much trouble, do you have any thoughts on my shotgun dissertation? It's a long read I know, but I feel I provided some pretty usable solutions.

A lot of theorycrafting but have you tried any of that?

After The Big Nerf™ I took a QL 3 auto shotgun and QL3 iron armor. Used zero books or skill points but set my gamestage to 145 on Warrior diff.

I cleared the Sham factory with less than 1 stack of shells and came out with more food and healing items than I went in with, plus 300 rounds of other ammo types.

If I had used better gear that you would normally have at this GS or any perks it would have been more ridiculous.

When players hear "nerf" they immediately imply that an item is now useless. This one has been nerfed to a state of being ridiculously OP.

Anyone know how I can roll back to A19 B-163. While im aware of the issues/dangers of playing in an unstable build, 169 even for a beta is far to unpolished and lacks a lot of quality checks that should of been done before releasing (Personal opinion, keep your hate to yourself) Steel Knuckles left click also does not work, I imagine this is due to the changes they made with harvesting. Right click still works however and other gloves work fully as intended. 

Regarding crits, isn't the chance to get one too low? 16 hour long playthrough with my friends on warrior difficulty, and we only experienced one concussion while getting hit a tremendous amount of times. Seems to me it could use a buff (or a nerf, for that matter). 

So with the addition/modification of the Tough Guy Glasses to give +1 Fortitude is there now no clothing item that gives +1 Perception? I assumed the idea would be one for each.

Fortitude - Tough Guy Glasses

Strength - Cigar

Intellect - Nerd Glasses

Agility - Ski Goggle

Perception - ???

24 minutes ago, Gazz said:

A lot of theorycrafting but have you tried any of that?

After The Big Nerf™ I took a QL 3 auto shotgun and QL3 iron armor. Used zero books or skill points but set my gamestage to 145 on Warrior diff.

I cleared the Sham factory with less than 1 stack of shells and came out with more food and healing items than I went in with, plus 300 rounds of other ammo types.

If I had used better gear that you would normally have at this GS or any perks it would have been more ridiculous.

When players hear "nerf" they immediately imply that an item is now useless. This one has been nerfed to a state of being ridiculously OP.

I know I'm somewhat contradicting myself by how I reacted earlier, but this is why you should not give out the numbers or people will just end up whining even more and more. Shotguns got a big nerf but that was needed. Just some advice, but if you told anyone what the real values were - and not just for this example, but for any example regarding nerfs, buffs, what have you - it will do more harm than good.

3 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

So with the addition/modification of the Tough Guy Glasses to give +1 Fortitude is there now no clothing item that gives +1 Perception? I assumed they idea would be one for each.

Fortitude - Tough Guy Glasses

Strength - Cigar

Intellect - Nerd Glasses

Agility - Ski Goggle

Perception - ???

Shades give +1 Perception. They and the Tough Guy Glasses share the same 2D model.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I know I'm somewhat contradicting myself by how I reacted earlier, but this is why you should not give out the numbers or people will just end up whining even more and more.

That's why I stated no numbers.

They would be meaningless to all but a few who know the game mechanics on a first name base.

Could you please have a look at Advanced engineering / Turret syndrome unlock logic / receips?

Because I'm at engineering rank 4 right now but can already build shotgun and machine gun turrets without blue prints (should be available at 5)?

On the other hand, I'm also at turret syndrome rank 4 but junk turrets can only be built with a receipe I don't have (but perk text says I should be able to build them)?!

Archived