Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I don't do pure builds. In the beginning I mainly go for strength and fortitude for mining and melee. The club is my main weapon during the early game. Later in the game I shift towards perception and agility for stealth.

Personally I think the Magnum and the SMG are the wrong weapons for stealth. A bow or the crossbow fit much better. Quiet and deadly.

And I play long games. 200-300 hours in a single game are not uncommon. I only get bored when I run out of ideas for base building.

Nobody in their right mind would do a pure build. Bows, knives, pistol, smg and magnum are governed by agility. Agility is not about just about being stealthy. Every attribute has some decent zombie stopping power and melee now.

It will be cool too see several different feasible approaches [...]

Surely the way of defending may differ depending on spec but I think it is almost criminal to make the TD/building elements of the game, a "subset" of the RPG elements. Any build imo should universally be dependent on them, with no builds that can skip them fully or partially, and none should have to specialize in building or heavy traps in order to utilize them better.

Worry not, the genetic similarity between chickens and humans is 60%. Similar with bananas and humans ~60%.

P.S. Don`t be so confused, we share 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees. And around 60% of the fruit fly, which lives for a day or something.

But we have the spark that makes us self aware when needed. If no need of change, you are good.

I Just google this after reading your post, damn you are right. Finally I have a legit excuse, damn my chicken genetics! lmao.

EDIT: I want to find a canibal and ask if humans taste like chicken now. morbid curiosity I know, anyways back on topic now before jumping down to far of this rabbit hole.

Where are we with the MFs? and when do you see A18 EXP rolling out? last time I heard it was August. August is all but done and that day 77 Horde night video seemed to look like A18 is ready. Any info on this would be great! overall it looks great and I can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

Good point, I guess I'm only remembering the good things about the old system lol.

Really....I've never witnessed other players using the bars in that way. I always thought it was weird more players did not figure it out. Those bars are a god sent. :)

I also use the bars overhead in order to keep the vultures out during horde night. Basically I have a big cage made out of bars surrounding my base for horde nights. works great.

I never thought of that, but I'm a tank so they are like mosquito bites to this build, maybe as a light armored character I might.

I Just google this after reading your post, damn you are right. Finally I have a legit excuse, damn my chicken genetics! lmao.

EDIT: I want to find a canibal and ask if humans taste like chicken now. morbid curiosity I know, anyways back on topic now before jumping down to far of this rabbit hole.

But as humans we can constantly improve ourselves, not just accept what it is. Sort of the best perk in life. Don`t forget that.

*double click on 7dtd icon*

Good point, I guess I'm only remembering the good things about the old system lol.

Really....I've never witnessed other players using the bars in that way. I always thought it was weird more players did not figure it out. Those bars are a god sent. :)

I also use the bars overhead in order to keep the vultures out during horde night. Basically I have a big cage made out of bars surrounding my base for horde nights. works great.

Yeah. They can be used as floors if you want. Kind of like murder holes in castles.

I use wood frames for that because they are cheaper and I can move them when I want to. To form other things quickly. Like into stairs to get up to my base from the ground. :)

The cage idea, I thought about since starting in Alpha 9.3. Back when giant hornets were the flying terror. But I never really used them because flying things were not much of a bother until latter Alphas and only in some biomes.

Yeah. They can be used as floors if you want. Kind of like murder holes in castles.

I use wood frames for that because they are cheaper and I can move them when I want to. To form other things quickly. Like into stairs to get up to my base from the ground. :)

The cage idea, I thought about since starting in Alpha 9.3. Back when giant hornets were the flying terror. But I never really used them because flying things were not much of a bother until latter Alphas and only in some biomes.

yeah. I wish I had pics to show. I build floors, walls and a ceiling out of bars on the upper outside part of my base. You can shoot in all directions and nothing can get you besides puke. I also make my base spider proof so they cannot climb up my walls.

I never thought of that, but I'm a tank so they are like mosquito bites to this build, maybe as a light armored character I might.

I was really impressed how you only got the bleeding effect once in all those nibbles. In A17, you would've been decimated.

yeah. I wish I had pics to show. I build floors, walls and a ceiling out of bars on the upper outside part of my base. You can shoot in all directions and nothing can get you besides puke. I also make my base spider proof so they cannot climb up my walls.

Why don't you have pics?

For me all I have to do is go into game and press F12.

My base is reinforced concrete with 2 deep spike trench by the wall, multiple oh ♥♥♥♥ rooms and choke points. I'd have turrets but I can't find any SMG parts to craft them.

But its up to you, I'm good with guns, so that is my thing, you can build more advanced bases, I never had a need. Depends if you hate grinding for ammo and personal preference. This base is not optimal since its got a bunch of fancy pretty stuff that is non functional. I might build a new multi horde tower like I used in previous alphas (a11 era) or wait til next game and see how it holds up, now that its actually needed.

For me, the problem isn't grinding. I love grinding. Or to be exact I love mining. I just don't like firearms.

Currently I am building a base with 24 dart traps, 12 blade traps and 36 electric fences. The dart traps hold a total of 36000 darts. To make the darts I need 21600 raw iron and 36000 clay. And I am looking forward to spend some time in my mines to collect the ressources.

Please guys, make sure that the player can't evade or outrun zombies on nightmare speed. I am tired of hearing "what's the point of building a base or struggling to defend, since we can just run away" from people I am introducing the game to - and I can't blame them.

We'll get to that when we can, its a bit more work to not break everything.

The downside of iron bars is the cops see you and then puke in your direction. I had the problem in A16 that cops constantly broke my iron bars during the horde.

Wow, I have a treat for you guys.... I recorded day 77 and it was super intense! Sorry no behemoth spawned, but I promise you some crazy action. I will need to farm 2k rounds for the next horde and have another m60 on my belt :) Uploading now.

Here you go:

The ragdolling is awesome. The quick-switch of weapons is even more awesome.

Moments like these are why I argue so much for maintaining the integrity of horde nights by removing any elements of cheese. Other aspects of the game are important of course, but these are the pinnacle moments in the game for me... my reason and purpose for playing the next 7 days.

I use wood frames for that because they are cheaper and I can move them when I want to.

And you can press E to remove the frame under your feet during the horde ;)

We'll get to that when we can, its a bit more work to not break everything.

Maybe modify the stun chance so that even a hit can be fatal since, with a 90% chance to be stunned or so...you will be an animal trapped in a cage, with no real chance to evade.

I don't know how can you get away from zombies on nightmare speed, since your stamina is limited...and if the players say "Well, I got a minibike to run from the zombies", then so be it, run from the zombies with the minibike, but use a lot of fuel in doing so, since it can be pretty hard at times to maintain a vehicle.

Maybe modify the stun chance so that even a hit can be fatal since, with a 90% chance to be stunned or so...you will be an animal trapped in a cage, with no real chance to evade.

I don't know how can you get away from zombies on nightmare speed, since your stamina is limited...and if the players say "Well, I got a minibike to run from the zombies", then so be it, run from the zombies with the minibike, but use a lot of fuel in doing so, since it can be pretty hard at times to maintain a vehicle.

The thing I do not understand concerning evading bloodmoon is, do people not understand that if someone wants to evade it they can just log off the server till BM is over with. Anyways I just had to throw that out there. I will not say anything else about this as it has already been addressed.

"Things People Wonder and Worry About"

+ No level cap for A18

+ No Learn by Doing in A18

+ No Blood Moon escape prevention in A18 <-----------

+ No Behemoth or Ziplines in A18

Archived