Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Forest have canibals not zombies. Have u ever seen a sneaky zombie ?? Wtf. 7dtd is a different game zombies are like walking dead. Is much more nicer to add more hordes and make Gun Sound attract more and more zombies than anything else. So even in PVP the player will think twice before they shoot.

We're adding NPCs so those could potentially be sneaky.

if I find Volume 3 and don't have Vol 1 and Vol 2 - can I still learn it? I guess he question is do I need to use then in series like I can't get Perk 3/5 until I have Perk 1/5 and 2/5.

You can learn the volumes independent from another. It does not matter if you find volume 3 first. Read them the moment you find them.

I wonder how this matches what you said some weeks ago, that this game should mainly address the majority of players which put 20-30 hours into a game?

Will they still feel satisfied playing?

But, on the other hand, there is a xp-slider...

I did a test run at 150% xp and it felt closer to the current speed so the slider can definitely adjust things to be more familiar if you enjoy the current pacing.

I wonder how this matches what you said some weeks ago, that this game should mainly address the majority of players which put 20-30 hours into a game?

Will they still feel satisfied playing?

But, on the other hand, there is a xp-slider...

IMO on default settings a average game will be about 60 to 100 hours now, and that is without building a mega castle/city or anything fancy, that is just playing the game and looting and questing and finally getting all the things you want.

I would say people will be more satisfied than ever about their purchase, this game is turning into a Skyrim where you can play for hundreds of hours and still not see everything/do everything. To me games like that are priceless.

if I find Volume 3 and don't have Vol 1 and Vol 2 - can I still learn it? I guess he question is do I need to use then in series like I can't get Perk 3/5 until I have Perk 1/5 and 2/5.

Of course, the whole thing would be incredibly obtuse if you had to read them in order.

How expensive is it to add new zombie models? By that I mean using same animations as existing. If possible, I’d rather have more variety of looks than types at this point. I can understand if this is not possible.

Thanks,

Loc

Its pretty trival aside from making the model.

I did a test run at 150% xp and it felt closer to the current speed so the slider can definitely adjust things to be more familiar if you enjoy the current pacing.

I strongly urge anyone to NOT do this. If you level too fast you pretty much remove content and a rewarding growth curve and being able to find loot fast enough to keep up with the GS.

@Devs, Q&A T, Anyone at TFP that might have the answer This is going to be a weird question but bare with me. I know nothing of how far the gaming industry has come or is currently on a path towards regarding the topic of my question, I'm simply asking out of curiosity. So I do apologize in advance if this a dumb thing to ask.

Are there any plans for "advanced machine learning and neural networks" for 7D2D zombie AI?

Um, jumping in on this one real quick, though I should probably read the other replies first... but I can tell you from a robotics perspective, where such things would control a physical machine in the real world, that this has been a decades long issue where most people still consider it a software thing, which it can be via simulation, but especially with neural nets it is far more of a hardware issue than a software one. So, faux neural nets, maybe, real ones barely if at all exist as it is, in the tech world anyway, we squishies still got ours. Machine learning is another fuzzy area, some is fine in current von-neumann style, serial, architectures, but most of those techniques also suffer from using the wrong hardware, hence why simulating them can be so ridiculously power hungry. Anyway, I'd imagine not, nothing very fancy anyway, and even if they did it would likely punch performance in the gut, a few times. Though some interesting techniques can be siphoned out and applied, we've still yet to see or experience much of an actual "neural net" to this day, aside from a handful of isolated hardware research projects. The only thing I can think of that could come close is interesting though because it is adopted into many graphics cards out of sheer necessity: multi-core dedication, like within CUDA architecture in nVidia hardware. Graphics cards are the closest thing to the right hardware available that we have, and when running a game like 7DTD that mofo is already busy simulating the world and all of it's details simultaneously. If you added a second card and set things up right you might get some useful "advanced" neural net simulations and machine learning, but it's need it's own card of special hardware resources to really do anything useful, hence why many AI systems in vehicles use "graphic processors", even a Tesla. nVidia makes car brains too y'know. Anyway, hope that helped understand why I am expecting a "no" on this, at least any hope of actually doing those things within a meaningful capacity, especially alongside/within the world simulation tasks that are already a constant struggle to balance and refine performance of.

Is that Darren McGavin on the cover? if not, it should be.

And for the love of God, please put Dishong back if you can. Its one of my favorite pois, and we never visited it in a17.

Jawoodle just did a Dishong tower only survival playthrough that was pretty fun.. until he was wrecked by 2 feral lumberjacks. (That he thinks are Yetis.)

Bought it on sale ages ago and haven't got to it yet, but I've been meaning to. Its the only top survival game I haven't played, but I've watch my son play quite a bit so I already got the gist of it for the most part.

The Forest is one of those games that on paper I should absolutely love, but I just cant get into it.

@MM, Have you ever played "The Forest" the concept of a smart sneaky cannibal showing up at night and killing you is freaky/scary/awesome. how hard would it be to make a smart/sneaky Zombie who can do the same thing?

This would make more sense as a Bandit "Scout/Assassin" ...better wire up your motion detectors and turrets!

May I encourage you to increase the percentage by 5-10%?

Yes playing on higher difficulties is not "supported", but on higher difficulties, 5% of that 100 DMG maxed out sniper/Magnum is still only 5 damage more. (200% crit sneak its still only 10-15 extra dmg)

A sneak attack only works once it is not a continuous damage multiplier. One shot only. So while You might be able to gain 200% through perks and crit and whatever (I don't know exactly what the perks do), 5% is useless. You do not feel 5% if zombies have 600+ health.

I can't tell if its balanced yet obviously. But just from experience I think 5% is so little that its useless.

Also 200% knifedamage... when the machete already deals about double damage is weird... :D but allright :D

@MM - I went back on Twitter and watched all of your videos since 17.3 and did not see anything about ore/nodes.

They cover this pretty well in the A18 TFP Playtest Stream #2... Here's a link

Rewind to the beginning if you want more info about other changes, but there is a lot of Ore/Node talk from here.

Madmole,

I have an offer from my subscriber.

It may be worth adding a book that will allow you to pass in 1 block?

I remember that you talked about the design of the POI, and that it does not take into account the possibility of passing in 1 block.

But in Alpha 17 we have a perk that allows you to jump 2+ blocks in height, I doubt that the POI design takes this into account.

Maybe you’ll think about returning to the game the opportunity to go in one block? It may be a high level of perk or a very rare book, but players miss it, and there is no logical explanation why this should not be done.

Thank you for your hard work. Waiting for 18 Alpha as a child of Christmas =)

P.S.

MM, I noticed that if I do not highlight your name with color and size, you basically ignore my questions =) OK, now your name will be constantly highlighted =)

"I can assure you that it will release befare the half of 2019" ... lol :)

Hmmmm....which half? The quote doesn’t say. Must be the second half of 2019 since that’s where we are and it isn’t released yet.

And then there is the word “befare”..... That could mean anything.

I strongly urge anyone to NOT do this. If you level too fast you pretty much remove content and a rewarding growth curve and being able to find loot fast enough to keep up with the GS.

Well, I was curious and there were the options right there in front of me. I like the new pacing. :)

Archived