Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

you are misunderstanding. castle turret is a building type. it is about 7 spaces wide. I use it as a horde night defense in 17.4 the mollies are thrown far enough away not to catch me. most of the time. and they explode 7 blocks below me. out of shrapnel range. tested this

Ah, that sounds much better, ok good, that is pretty high up, as long as the toss clears where you're standing. I did picture it quite different, multiple towers connected via catwalk, bringing Z to the middle between them, below you, with turrets next to or above your head. That does sound very different, and somewhat familiar.

It should not be possible surviving BM by foot or on a vehicle at high gamestage. Vultures should attack aggressively.

Check out the Youtube Channel of Run. He fights the Horde on the street on foot. And as far as I know he's not the only player that takes on the horde this way. Your suggestion would kill this kind of playstyle.

Check out the Youtube Channel of Run. He fights the Horde on the street on foot. And as far as I know he's not the only player that takes on the horde this way. Your suggestion would kill this kind of playstyle.

nah, just create a long roof top 3 high and 5 wide or a race track with a roof. The roof makes vultures either fly under and therefore at melee range, or they ignore you

edit: i just did a horde night where I used my min bike to get ahead of the horde. my turrets plugged away at them as I zig zagged around em. I would get off the minibike, shoot a few shots, refill the bike, or toss an explosive. once they got close, drive to the other side. rinse repeat. the roof made the vultures come under and in range of the turrets. to conserve ammo, I had the turrets aimed upwards for vultures

Honestly that was a pretty good question. If your designers ever have a lack of work I think creating and adding tons of zombie models could never be a bad thing.

I at the very least want them to make MM blood moon zombies that he talked about *fingers crossed*

So what about my idea about a book or perk that will allow you to go in 1 block? The answer آ“Sorry, I donآ’t knowآ” does not fit here. You cannot not know is this is a good idea or not in your opinion =)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?111778-Alpha-18-Dev-Diary!!&p=1004844&viewfull=1#post1004844

This has already been answered many times. The answer is no. Their level designers don't want people to poke 1m holes through their POIs, and it would make escaping zombies too easy.

Um, jumping in on this one real quick, though I should probably read the other replies first...

Thank you for the reply. I did not get a response from anyone except you so much appreciated. I know advanced machine learning will be the norm within' the gaming industry in the coming years, IMO this will be a game changer once it does.

Imagine if this was applied to 7D2D. Zombies learning a players strategy thus coming up with a better way of attacking a players base.

I can see in my mind how advanced machine learning & simulated neural networks could be used in video games.

It'll be interesting to see the first game that can actually pull this off and apply it in a useful manner for gaming. The first company that can pull it off, atleast what i invision, will make world wide news thus setting the standard for all future video games. Mark my words this will happen within the next few years. I have a simple app on my phone that uses machine learning and a very simple neural network-ish that can decode baseball coach signs they give to there players. This technology is by no means new but it has been getting refined and fine tuned in the past few years. I just cannot wait to see it implemented in video games, atleast what I invision. Cheers friend!

What do you get if you scrap the bonus perk books in A18? Obviously it's paper, but is it the standard one piece of paper, or five, or ten, or even twenty? If it's only one, I'm never scrapping them, but if it's higher than five, it would be nice to have the option to decide whether to re-read them, sell them, or scrap them. Just my take.

Honestly that was a pretty good question. If your designers ever have a lack of work I think creating and adding tons of zombie models could never be a bad thing.

Adding one is trivial, keeping the memory and game running good with more models is not.

What do you get if you scrap the bonus perk books in A18? Obviously it's paper, but is it the standard one piece of paper, or five, or ten, or even twenty? If it's only one, I'm never scrapping them, but if it's higher than five, it would be nice to have the option to decide whether to re-read them, sell them, or scrap them. Just my take.

Yes you have all those options. Paper is common so I always read mine. Advanced shotgun shells use polymer now so paper is only needed for basic shells.

Thank you for the reply. I did not get a response from anyone except you so much appreciated. I know advanced machine learning will be the norm within' the gaming industry in the coming years, IMO this will be a game changer once it does.

Imagine if this was applied to 7D2D. Zombies learning a players strategy thus coming up with a better way of attacking a players base.

I can see in my mind how advanced machine learning & simulated neural networks could be used in video games.

It'll be interesting to see the first game that can actually pull this off and apply it in a useful manner for gaming. The first company that can pull it off, atleast what i invision, will make world wide news thus setting the standard for all future video games. Mark my words this will happen within the next few years. I have a simple app on my phone that uses machine learning and a very simple neural network-ish that can decode baseball coach signs they give to there players. This technology is by no means new but it has been getting refined and fine tuned in the past few years. I just cannot wait to see it implemented in video games, atleast what I invision. Cheers friend!

No prob, is a very interesting subject, both within games and in real world environments. One huge advantage a game has is that it is simulating the world, bypassing in a huge way the need for sensors, mapping, and all other kinds of high level challenges robots face in the real world. So most AI in games has always just made use of the fact that it can be given targets, coordinates, and so on, making it's "intelligence" very artificial, faking most of it, and giving the illusion of intelligence. Machine intelligence and neural nets are far more the real deal, they'd just be fighting for system resources with the world gen and other game needs. I wouldn't expect to see much, aside from better illusions of intelligence(an art in itself), until we start adding Neural Net cards or something along those lines, in addition to gaming cards. Though, as I mentioned before, you could utilize most of the newer GPU architectures, like CUDA, for it as-is, if/when those resources are available or provided by another card. So it seems both virtual-world AI as well as robot AI are still waiting on better hardware more than anything, until then new and refined software application in what we have is going to continue to be extremely limited, absent, or just really well faked, as has been the case thus far in gaming as a whole.

Adding one is trivial, keeping the memory and game running good with more models is not.

See, ZombieSurvivor, so much as adding another Z model in itself interferes with overall performance, giving it brains, even though that is what they seek, is mostly off the table, especially if one attempted to do that for more than 1 entity, a horde would need a server farms worth of resources. Oh, ha, maybe just find an AI/MI system and have it log into a server game world and play as a zombie. Better yet, in 10 years or so I could picture madmole having a small group of robots in his basement sitting at their own machines chasing players around. Would be great for bandits, yes? Ha, no, but that was fun to think about.

No prob, is a very interesting subject, both within games and in real world environments.

Agreed. The current hardware available on a consumer based level I can definitely see that as being the only thing stopping what I invision. Hopefully Moore's Law remains in affect for the next 20 years then maybe our hardware limitations will no longer exist.

This has been a intellectually stimulating conversation and I hope to hear from you again regarding any future comments I make here.

Take care.

I believe they have tried machine learning for the game Dota 2. Sorry, I don’t have a link but I’m pretty sure it’s already happening. Pretty cool, and kinda scary (Terminator 2 scary), at the same time.

Cheers,

Loc

I believe they have tried machine learning for the game Dota 2. Sorry, I don’t have a link but I’m pretty sure it’s already happening. Pretty cool, and kinda scary (Terminator 2 scary), at the same time.

Cheers,

Loc

Ah, that, yeah that was an AI/MI hybrid(most are) that played the game, put together by OpenAI I believe, similar in the way they've played chess, GO, etc. That was a test of such AI in far more detail oriented games with much higher levels of variants to take into account. Yes it did well, and yes it freaked a lot of people out, especially those who understood what that meant fundamentally. So they're already moving from old-school board game challenges into modern MMO type environments, to up the challenge. Though, again, that took a very large dedicated system of multiple machines to accomplish, not something you're likely to see in-game or running within current PC systems. Only way would be to do it server-side by having the AI host environment log into it. The "cloud" hides most of this away form our perception, even in actual robots(I call those puppets). But make no mistake it already requires a ton of hardware and consumes a ton of power to do anything like that.

Don't worry about the Terminator, yet. See my avatar pic? That was meant to be a first attempt. The DOD arm of research, DARPA, asked me to help them build a Terminator back in 2010(it was a public project, hence my even mentioning it). I changed their mind and built that instead, you're welcome.

Ah, that, yeah that was an AI/MI hybrid(most are) that played the game, put together by OpenAI I believe, similar in the way they've played chess, GO, etc. That was a test of such AI in far more detail oriented games with much higher levels of variants to take into account. Yes it did well, and yes it freaked a lot of people out, especially those who understood what that meant fundamentally. So they're already moving from old-school board game challenges into modern MMO type environments, to up the challenge. Though, again, that took a very large dedicated system of multiple machines to accomplish, not something you're likely to see in-game or running within current PC systems. Only way would be to do it server-side by having the AI host environment log into it. The "cloud" hides most of this away form our perception, even in actual robots(I call those puppets). But make no mistake it already requires a ton of hardware and consumes a ton of power to do anything like that.

Don't worry about the Terminator, yet. See my avatar pic? That was meant to be a first attempt. The DOD arm of research, DARPA, asked me to help them build a Terminator back in 2010(it was a public project, hence my even mentioning it). I changed their mind and built that instead, you're welcome.

were you part of the atlas team or on one of the teams to make the AI for it?

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. DARPA has the terminator now lol......I guess they biult it behind your back maybe.. lol

were you part of the atlas team or on one of the teams to make the AI for it?

No, that was Boston Dynamics, which was bought by Amazon. I am very familiar, but did not work on that, though I can tell you right now a significant part of it's brain is likely off-board/remote, not sure, but very common and likely. I'm an independent contractor and turn most projects away these days, you can imagine why. 7DTD has been filling that void nicely, though I am gearing up for new projects now, just my own robots this time, no more for others. Anyway, don't want to veer any further off-topic, otherwise I could fill this entire forum with this subject alone. But as you can imagine I pay close attention when Faatal talks about the AI changes and methodologies used in the Z, and am curious how the Bandits will behave once those show up. So it's got enough relevance, but we should steer it back to in-game AI that is possible now, especially as they ramp up to tackle upcoming bandit behaviors.

No, that was Boston Dynamics, which was bought by Amazon. I am very familiar, but did not work on that, though I can tell you right now a significant part of it's brain is likely off-board/remote, not sure, but very common and likely. I'm an independent contractor and turn most projects away these days, you can imagine why. 7DTD has been filling that void nicely, though I am gearing up for new projects now, just my own robots this time, no more for others. Anyway, don't want to veer any further off-topic, otherwise I could fill this entire forum with this subject alone. But as you can imagine I pay close attention when Faatal talks about the AI changes and methodologies used in the Z, and am curious how the Bandits will behave once those show up. So it's got enough relevance, but we should steer it back to in-game AI that is possible now, especially as they ramp up to tackle upcoming bandit behaviors.

ahh thats right. sorry its been a couple of years since I looked in to these terminators the U.S. Gov has been building... I'll admit i have not been creepin' the forums that much in the past 6 months, now just started to so I've missed a lot of what Faatal has said publicly regarding a18

ahh thats right. sorry its been a couple of years since I looked in to these terminators the U.S. Gov has been building... I'll admit i have not been creepin' the forums that much in the past 6 months, now just started to so I've missed a lot of what Faatal has said publicly regarding a18

Overall I've noticed most changes/updates have revolved around pathing, was funny in my first A17 game before the updates those motherfathers were bee-lining up to me like ninjas on the 3rd floor of a house in the middle of the night. Whatever Faatal did took them from lumbering idiots who yell at walls to super-precise hunters who could not only path to you crazy fast but could also judge block strength and exploit weaknesses even the player didn't notice. It felt like they went from super dumb to super smart overnight, aside from the screaming and cursing on my first night in A17, I very much enjoyed experiencing the contrast in behavior. He's been tweaking them since, the updates alone were a big help by the time we reached 17.4, though we've all had to alter our tactics, especially for Blood Moon bases. BMs def have a different feel to them now, as does building and upgrading methods, so much more important now. I do miss the super dumb Z's, just because they're zombies and that makes sense, however I also appreciate the extra challenge of Faatals new AI. A nice mix of both, which has gotten balance attention, would be best, imho.

Putting back one of the old zombies from the snow biome back in the game would be so cool! Right now, all we see is that one zombie over and over. The other 2 zombies were cool. Maybe have an HD version of the female snow zombie? Maybe???

I mean, if somebody's looking for something to do in the arts department... Yeah right!

Archived