Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Sorry, I do not want getting into a debate. The main issue, BM is redundant if you can run away and survive easily.

I am fine with changing difficulty as long as you cannot evade the event.

Could you elaborate on BM being to easy? I'm a curious type person by nature and love hearing peoples opinions.

I understand the running away part, of course this makes BM easy. Thats a game of hide and seek. What about facing a BM head on..

EDIT: Don't mind those who take offense to your opinion. People now days are just to sensitive and are easily offended when someone does not agree with them.

Some will find BM to easy, some to hard, other its just right. No person has the right to shoot down another for voicing there opinion or attack them just because it does not vibe with them.

Apology, I might not been clear enough with my previous posts. Its not too easy, since difficulty can be adjusted according your needs. Its the fear factor which is missing and easy since you are able to run away. Also some special BM zeds might help making the event more creepy and scary.

Also some special BM zeds might help making the event more creepy.

Thats actually a really good idea. I agree there is no fear factor but I...not sure why lol.

It used to be scary as hell, maybe jsut getting used to it over the years has kinda dulled it a bit.

I'm honestly not sure what killed the fear factor for me. Hell maybe the new music coming in A18 will help make BM more immersive thus contributing to "fear factor".

I'm glad I asked you to further elaborate, this has got me thinking now.

Hey Madmole,

with all these amazing book series coming up, what is the reason for making books disappear after you read them?

If you could keep books after reading them you could share them with your friends, and if they read them sell the books to a trader, or build a fancy library in your base where you try to collect all existing books, so your and your friends can browse it for new books that any of you found. That would add a lot more value to books, especially making a library would be one of these small things that have no game advancing purpose but are fun to do, and I think the game needs more of this.

With books being a one-time use item we will find ourselves competing with our friends when looting a books store: Who's gonna be faster to loot the book shelves? This would be a rather annoying thing.

If you don't like the idea, would you at least consider making books not disappear a server-side option? I'm sure more people would appreciate this.

Thanks.

It's not a simulator. It is a game.

A simulator would try to reproduce reality as accurately as possible. A game, on the other hand, sacrifices accuracy for fun.

This old argument again... how did RiP say it? (Paraphrasing here)

"When we are talking about realism/immersion, we aren't talking about 1:1 with the reallife world. We are talking about a world that is itself consistent"

So if we saw a unicorn in 7d2d that would not be consistent. If we saw a zombiehorse where a bone mutated on his forehead as a ram, that would still be a unicorn, but a consistent one with the world.

And while small sacrifices can be made in crease the gameplay. Doing it too much rips you out of your immersion.

(Zombies IN walls and on an unreachable platform; Guns and ammo everywhere, even though its an apocalypse and those things would be the most sought after items; mines on top of cranes or randomly scattered in the wasteland...)

One of those is fine, but the more you include, the more it seems like its just arbitrary descicions by the devs and not because the world would work like that.

BM beeing too easy to survive is one of those. It doesn't break immersion outright, but the game would also profit from it beeing harder to survive (since then you have a reason to build a base and get ammo, starting the gameplayloop)

So he isn't wrong. And while you can increase zombiecount and difficulty, there should be a baseline that all players are challenged. Because to use your argument "you can always lower the difficulty".

So what about my idea about a book or perk that will allow you to go in 1 block?

I noticed in my current A17.4 game, that you are able to pass a 1 block height gap, if the upper block is a horizontal pipe.

That was in a pawn shop POI on top of the ceiling. I was a bit surprised...

Advanced shotgun shells use polymer now so paper is only needed for basic shells.

Any plans to craft polymers out of oil shale and maybe other stuff ?

I know advanced machine learning will be the norm within' the gaming industry in the coming years, IMO this will be a game changer once it does.

Imagine if this was applied to 7D2D. Zombies learning a players strategy thus coming up with a better way of attacking a players base.

zombies!? no. maybe ferals/"elites" and freshly infected ones, that are still kinda human and always run. and bandits ofc. but ur average, every day zed should be stupid as fk. literally brain dead :)

huge immersion break.

zombies!? no. maybe ferals/"elites" and freshly infected ones, that are still kinda human and always run. and bandits ofc. but ur average, every day zed should be stupid as fk. literally brain dead :)

huge immersion break.

Yeah I thought the same exact thing after I re-read my statement lol. Zombies are supposed to be stupid not smart. I was picturing in my head like, one special zombie that watches (imagine movie I am legend and that 1..thing having those 2 dogs) from afar learning that players strategy. Maybe it notices the west side of the base is less defended so it orders the zombies to attack in heavier waves from west while only sending a few from all other directions. something along those lines. Not to smart or yes, I agree it would be a major immersion break. But if the player can kill that one smart zombie it would prevent it from learning and kinda teaching the others.

Machine learning I think would fit perfectly for this type of scenario. This smart zombie could also make BM a lot more unpredictible because the way zombies attack would be different every time. This i believe would add tons of replayability to any game.

This implementation of machine learning would shine for 7D2D. Mark my words though, in the not to distant future this type of machine learning will be the standard in all video games ;) My head is full of ideas were machine learning can shine in video games. If I'm thinking of it I know big companies that make games are already pouring money in to the R&D department to figure out how to make this a reality. I-Am-Legend-Will-Smith-Zombie.jpg

Perks all cost 1 skillpoint. You must purchase them in order. Attributes have a higher cost as you progress. I believe levels 1-3 each cost 1 skillpoint to unlock and then it gets more expensive from there.

Perks are still gated by attribute level but not by player level. So for example you may need to have the 5th rank of an attribute unlocked before you can unlock the 3rd tier of a perk.

It’s basically the same skillpoint economy system as A17 minus the player level gates.

Ok, thanks for the response!

But ... This not need a change? Whit the slow leveling, we are going to stay 1 week saving points just for raise 1 attribute rank? (thinking in the higher attributes). It seems wrong to me.

Of course many people, many opinions.

I try to support the game with my honest feedback.

I'm trying to do the same thing.

The game is called with a reason “7 days to die”. For me it is a core statement. A frightening Blood-moon makes the game exciting for a long time to come.

A bit of thrill once every 7 days for a few hours is hardly enough to keep players interested. What you do the rest of the time is much more important.

I got the impression that the more you can explore the longer the player stays interested in the game. That's why many are looking forward to the books that will be available in A18. They give you a reason to explore the world.

You need to survive and being prepared for that terrifying day. To make it a bit salty again, BM degraded to a XP farming event. Priority and main focus during BM has to be ofc staying alive by all means at hand(weapons, traps, fortifying base, etc.) until next morning. XP increase is a decent side effect. Again my opinion of many.

Surely some preparation for the horde should be necessary. But it shouldn't be what takes most of the time, otherwise the game will get boring if you do the same over and over again. I usually spend 2-3 days preparing for the horde. That gives me at least four days to do other things.

I don't think the horde is too easy right now either. Today I had the day 98 horde with a gamestage of 500. Without preparation the horde would actually be terrifying but since I built my base with a gamestage 900 horde in mind I had no problems to fend it off.

To prevent the horde from becoming an XP farm you would have to play something like Roland's 0XP mod. There the progress is not linked to XP but to your survival.

XP has become the most important factor in the game for a lot of players. You can't change that point of view simply by making horde night more difficult. You would have to change the way progress works.

A lot will certainly change in A18. XP are still important for progress but according to what I have read and heard so far not as important as in A17. You can progress a lot by finding the right books and schematics.

Apology, I might not been clear enough with my previous posts. Its not too easy, since difficulty can be adjusted according your needs. Its the fear factor which is missing and easy since you are able to run away. Also some special BM zeds might help making the event more creepy and scary.

That you're losing fear has something to do with the experience you gain as a player. No horde was as frightening to me as the very first, and by my standards today this horde was a joke.

Special zombies are yet to come. For A18 the so-called demolisher zombie is expected to be a part of the game.

With books being a one-time use item we will find ourselves competing with our friends when looting a books store: Who's gonna be faster to loot the book shelves? This would be a rather annoying thing.

Books being scarce sought after items IS the idea. And co-op is already massively overpowered.

Maybe an idea that would help you: Before you start a game, let each of you select two book series (or three if you are four players or less). The person who selected a series gets to read the books of that series first independent of who found it.

You inattentively read the text of my post?

Jumping 2+ blocks in height also goes against the design, but they are. How is one block passage worse than jumping?

Once upon a time, MM said that lockpicks in the game are unnecessary, and now we will see them in 18 Alpha.

Everything is changing =)

No, I read your post. You obviously choose to ignore mine or any others on this forum. It has been debated at length many times. And it has been stated that fitting through 1m holes is not going to happen. You harassing madmole with brightly coloured text is not going to change that.

I think 2m jumping will probably be removed anyway. It sounds like one of those hacky perks that got thrown into A17 because it was easy and could fill space in the perk tree.

Perks all cost 1 skillpoint. You must purchase them in order. Attributes have a higher cost as you progress. I believe levels 1-3 each cost 1 skillpoint to unlock and then it gets more expensive from there.

Perks are still gated by attribute level but not by player level. So for example you may need to have the 5th rank of an attribute unlocked before you can unlock the 3rd tier of a perk.

It’s basically the same skillpoint economy system as A17 minus the player level gates.

Sl related to this. if a Perk still requires an Attribute level, how will books work? could I use a 3/5 perk book without having the base attribute? OR are books completely not tied to Attribute base level?

how are we doing on origin/backstory on how the Zombie outbreak came to be? I was wondering if the lab in the Tower house might be connected and somehow Carl's mutant corn got into the ground water :)

Don't forget the secret laboratory under the mansion on the top of the mountain north of Diersville.

He's done some changes. There are "dumb" zombies that can path in a straight line now and some structural engineers. I made a larger fort and I'm now paying for it, running around like a chicken with my head cut off shooting everything from all angles of my base.

And dropping your bow to I'll bet! ;)

@Madmole

hi whats up?

i like it to unlock recipes by reading books. what do you thinking about reading a book for unlocking a recipe and receiving skill-exp for crafting this item.

for example youre unlocking the recipe bacon and eggs and your crafting skill-level is 1 and there is a 50% to get a normal bacon and eggs and 50% to get charried bacon and eggs with half stats/effectiveness. and if you craft some of that, you can level up you skill and at max level youre crafting 100% normal bacon and eggs.(learning by doing) and you got more goals in the game

Archived