Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Awesome, we've created a reason to play late game for extended hours. Not changing it, its perfect. I might bump the XP, but people don't think about the big picture. Its not that books are super rare. Its not that there are too many books. Its that there is also a schematic for everything in the game, so when you stick 250 names in a hat and draw one, then put it back mix it up, draw again... it might take a long time to get every one drawn once.

It will take thousands of attempts to get all 250...particularly since you don't get one every time.

In regard to A18, Has there been any improvement on water physics or other changes, beyond the new rivers/streams? Do you have any tips on placing or repairing water? I am still constantly fighting pockets on the surface of lakes or other manually placed water features, trying to put new blocks. It doesn't seem to matter if I use the Water POI blocks or buckets. If this is just a Unity thing, I get it but am hoping that at some point we can work with water a bit easier. Any chance of waterfalls down the road?

In regard to A18, Has there been any improvement on water physics or other changes, beyond the new rivers/streams? Do you have any tips on placing or repairing water? I am still constantly fighting pockets on the surface of lakes or other manually placed water features, trying to put new blocks. It doesn't seem to matter if I use the Water POI blocks or buckets. If this is just a Unity thing, I get it but am hoping that at some point we can work with water a bit easier. Any chance of waterfalls down the road?

Water blocks should work the same in A18 as A17. Hopefully we will get a chance to improve water at some point.

Is the Spear only throwable? I would think you could use it to Block, Stab & I would like special moves like...

Basic Use:

L Mouse to Stab..

R Mouse to Block or push back...

R Mouse Hold to ♥♥♥♥ the Spear for throwing then L Mouse to throw...

Special moves using combo holding & L Mouse to...

Using the spear to Stab to the rear...

Swing the Spear like a long Club or a full spin to knock back a group of Z's...

ETC...

♥♥♥♥ = COKK

Synonyms, sheeeshhh

Any chance you guys at TFP have fixed your garbage collector? It keeps unloading the texture for the charge bar that shows up when your drawing a bow, Maybe set it to NOT unload any UI elements?

- - - Updated - - -

The spear has a regular attack and a power attack like all the weapons.

LMB: Stab

RMB: Throw

No weapon can be used to block and the spear is no exception.

I noticed the spear throw in the video was kinda.. janky, like a weird delay before it hit the target, it might be a multiplayer only issue though. It also looks like it was pretty hard to collect mid combat, maybe make its.. I dunno what its called? clicky box? you can hit E on bigger so its easier to retrieve? Arrows could use a bigger clicky box thing too.

Any chance you guys at TFP have fixed your garbage collector? It keeps unloading the texture for the charge bar that shows up when your drawing a bow, Maybe set it to NOT unload any UI elements?

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed the spear throw in the video was kinda.. janky, like a weird delay before it hit the target, it might be a multiplayer only issue though. It also looks like it was pretty hard to collect mid combat, maybe make its.. I dunno what its called? clicky box? you can hit E on bigger so its easier to retrieve? Arrows could use a bigger clicky box thing too.

I plan on carrying a few of them as soon as the streamers who are already playing other games & the play test is over...

Can we get a Horse & Chariot so we can play like an Egyptian?

Joke Alert!!!

- - - Updated - - -

There’s no clicky box. There is just range. You press E when near and it vacuums it up. You don’t need to put the cursor on it.

Increasing the range would be too magical.

When detection "eye" was removed in A17 I had mixed feelings: in one hand, it was fair to remove it (strange that a player can find out if they were noticed), in the other, removal caused a bit of sadness. Thinking about it, I've come up with an idea to introduce it back to the game, but now as a reward for collecting a set of books. It can also be explained: "after having mastered stealth skills, you can feel any evil sight".

There could be a feature where every time you place a block, a voting window pops up for everyone on the server.

If the majority votes "yes", the block is placed.

That would not only fix people using bedrolls as bedrolls but also campfires or cement mixers.

Campfires especially are so cheap that players might be tempted to just build one while they are out looting, skipping the challenge of going back to their base!

What exactly was so unreasonable about his request that it required this type of smart a$$ answer? It's not like he was raving calling it game breaking. He asked if there was a chance for a way to control what he sees as making the game better in his opinion.. Just like thousands of other posts in this thread.

There is a world of difference between being able to cheese the respawn mechanic and making a campfire somewhere. I'm not saying that being able to cheese the respawn is a bad thing. But, I could see someone having good reasons to want to limit it on their server.

There’s no clicky box. There is just range. You press E when near and it vacuums it up. You don’t need to put the cursor on it.

Increasing the range would be too magical.

Ahhh... So it wasn't just mp lag that made it seem like they were re-acquiring their Spears like a vacuum cleaners... They really were.

99% of my deaths come from me not respecting the game. Everydamn time I dont show the games difficulty respect I die for it.

One of the things I love about this game.

Yes, I found a new high level of respect for this with the new penalty.

Ahhh... So it wasn't just mp lag that made it seem like they were re-acquiring their Spears like a vacuum cleaners... They really were.

Exactly like arrows. If you haven’t had an issue with collecting arrows you won’t have one with collecting spears because it is exactly the same.

Yeah, I've learnt when tackling a T5 to take 2 bundles of medicated bandages, and even then to consider scrapping cloth for more on the way through. Taking a splint is also a good idea, coz it's too easy to suffer a big fall on the way out (being impatient to exit a big maze of a building). I usually also have 2 days worth of food with me before I begin. Given I've taken to using a club or sledge, I will also have to consider antibiotics if A18 has effective infection once again, coz the weakening effect is just lethal to a melee player.

My other T5 strategy is to begin the quest during the night so that I have a better chance of finishing before the next night, coz you don't want to face the final cluster of ferals/radiated during their stronger night time state.

Still being deep within a T5 on a horde day is asking for trouble!

I never have access to medicated bandages. I've been slowly building up an aloe farm but if you just plant what seeds you find its not a lot.

Just take some duct tape, you can make a splint if you need one. Better yet, take a cooking pot you can make duct tape anywhere you go then, because there are almost always bones/vultures/dogs to get bones as you go, and just make some glue/tape/splint on the spot with a bit of work.

Exactly like arrows. If you haven’t had an issue with collecting arrows you won’t have one with collecting spears because it is exactly the same.

I've trouble collecting them, actually. E vacuum doesn't work, I gotta put them in the cross hairs at odd angles.

Archived