Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Does this include lead ore, iron ore, etc.? If so, I see little issue, since players mostly mine underground to acquire iron, nitrate, etc. anyway, and reaching them would bring greater risk of being found out. Just my personal opinion though.

Someone else might call that risk and reward.

Imagine you're digging and then zombies come bursting through your tunnel from a nearby underground pocket. ...was just speaking to 4Sheetz and he's got it working.

Nice. I'm interested. Does he already have a name for the mod?

As much as I am fine with the yellow bouncing exclamation mark in front of the POI, it could be less immersion breaking if it instead showed up on your compass and on the map as a waypoint? *Shrugs* Whatever TFP come up with, I have faith. ^^

The mailbox in front of the house could be the trigger... Maybe?

Something small and creepy. Maybe a torso that grew some spider legs or something like the thing. Doesn't have to be kid, but there really I see no problem with something strain ish. We want them popping out of the painting holes and heat ducts.

Wasn’t it once the case that the Wights could resurrect zombies? I’m not sure... but they do seem out of place at the moment. It feels like they should be special.

It has previously been requested that we can actually see the limbs of the zeds when dismembering.

Perhaps two birds with one stone? The limbs fly off, the Wights turn them into those Little Thing-like creatures. I imagine three or four versions. The arm creature, the leg creature, the torso creature, the head creature. Probably wouldn’t matter if they all shared the same pathing, damage, health etc.

Could extend it further though... cop head creature still spits... screamer head creature still screams.

Well, I just did a test in A17, the sounds of Auger, Chainsaw or even the AK do not add anything to the heat map, unless you hit metal (which triggers the metal hit sound that adds some heat itself). So you may want to reconsider this not being an issue. I agree that it just humming would not cause as much heat as it being fired in short bursts, but either use should cause heat in the very least...

This could be the case. I mine a lot of iron with the auger.

In general, it is not a big problem for me. I just have to watch out where I use the auger.

But a mod to reduce noise and heat generated by the auger would be a nice. Maybe as a rare or legendary item.

This is not true unless you are some weirdo who augers for hours at a time. I've never triggered a screamer with one yet. And when I do (only at my base so far with a campfire, chem station and 2 forges running for 20+ minutes) its just free XP farming. My AK is amazing so its like whatever, one for you, one for you, oh two for you, one for you, etc.

lol, great comment :jaded::tickled_pink:

Wait, trash pandas. Raccoons, even possum, should be everywhere, at least at night. Maybe they don't attack(unless zombied) but would make noise to attract Z if you messed with them. Not a bad extra night hazard I think. Ha, with coons it would be hard to tell which ones were even zombies, feisty little things. Just realizing there are many realistic options left as far as believable animal types you can add. Just please no more giant bugs or silly stuff like that, no need and makes no sense biologically unless this were the Permian era or something, those seriously broke my immersion, there should be more than enough real world options to choose from that could be had fun with.

We're talking about small zombies, little 1 meter egress guys. Imagine something like those kid spiders from the strain. Creepy enough you wouldn't feel any remorse shooting it, small enough to cause some scare factor hearing little footsteps creeping around, you couldn't even see it behind a kitchen counter.

this sounds creepy and amazing .:encouragement:

never thought ill see a dev proud of "gaming" his own game (without instantly wanting to fix it) . ;)

@MM, will you ever consider enhancing the quest system to be less immersion breaking (arcade style)?

(example, POI reset will happen off screen like zombie spawn, not in your face after you just finished clearing up the place, quest start via use of some new UI, and not by a huge yellow "!" object in the world, etc)

I can easily see why supporting MP make this harder to design and implement in the way i am suggesting, but was this really the best solution you can find? its fine for demonstrating a WIP concept as place holder, but since it don't fit the style of the rest of the game i would say for me at least it is non ship-able. it kinda ruin my immersion which i highly value in your game. hope you will keep it in mind and mb eventually find a better way to do it that is more immersion friendly. :)

I used twice the ammo, so why not get twice the reward? :D

We'll probably address it at some point, but its not a big deal since you have the same risk either way. Doing it the first time doesn't get you the quest reward.

Imagine you're digging and then zombies come bursting through your tunnel from a nearby underground pocket. ...was just speaking to 4Sheetz and he's got it working.

In A18 this would be a super simple POI.

A pocket of air with sleepers, y offset to bury it, fill up the top with terrainFillerAdaptive.

Basic POI, no coding needed, undetectable on the surface because there's not the tiniest dent in the topsoil or decorations. =P

In A18 this would be a super simple POI.

A pocket of air with sleepers, y offset to bury it, fill up the top with terrainFillerAdaptive.

Basic POI, no coding needed, undetectable on the surface because there's not the tiniest dent in the topsoil or decorations. =P

It probably is the same, except maybe the terrain should be trapped so it will break if step on it for the extra scare factor.

I used twice the ammo, so why not get twice the reward? :D

We'll probably address it at some point, but its not a big deal since you have the same risk either way. Doing it the first time doesn't get you the quest reward.

If the loot does not reset then there should be more POIs on the map for T5 quests. I do a T5 quest at least once a week and I often notice that I was already in this POI last week for another quest.

Archived