Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I thought T5 quests were bad. I stopped doing then ages ago. But that might have been a mistake. They can give an ammo reward, although not often. And I can sell that useless 5th green auger for dukes to buy ammo.

Thing i hated about t5 quests in a17, and maybe a18 too, is the t5 tower takes 2 days to complete. I hate having to spend the night there so I dont fail the quest. I'm not going through it at night and if i just stay somewhere quiet for the night it's a boring waste of time when i could be home mining, building or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

That's some good ideas there.

And to be fair I bet TFP will address this, sound like they already have.

I just think it needs to be talked about, on both sides. And let TFP balance as best they can.

AUGERS are amazing in A18.

We've talked about that but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. The loot boxes are already scrambled. The goal is to get duplicates to stop spawning so you never see the same POI in the same town twice.

It's everyone's wet dream

My god madmole. Thank the lord someone is there to tell you no lol.

Any chance we can get an option in sp to drop nothing on death? I dont think it's fair to double dip on death penalties. I'm sure you disagree but still, whatta say? 😁

A survivor isn't worth his weight in salt with drop nothing. There is a drop on death option you can set to nothing, but remember I will think much less of you if you go there. I noticed a delete all, I need to try that sometime, thats about as close as you get to dead is dead legit. Man that would suck, but at the same time it would make having 2nd string gear important and you wouldn't sell everything to traders you would horde more.

I'm only half kidding about those options. I mean, I would make a mod that does that and it would be fun for advanced players. I did enjoy the 30 wellness cap we had and the glory of nursing back to health was enjoyable for me. Like this was back when it was a lot harder to get your gear when you died, like a pack of dogs (dogs used to be so nasty) would stay there and you would get in a death loop thinking you could get your stuff and run.

Important question that I have not seen the answer to - Can we use the beds as a permanent bedroll as long as it's within 25 blocks (or something to that effect) of our Landclaim block? I want a bed in my palace and don't feel like sleeping in a sleeping bag. As I travel around the map, a sleeping bag makes sense but my abode needs a real (virtual) bed that I call home. When I pick up the bedroll while travelling, it switches my spawn point back to my "Bed". Make sense?

Well I will need to play alpha 18 to see what you guys have done.

But for alpha 17 i dont need any of that stuff in the t5 towers. It's the same stuff i can get anywhere else and save the ammo.

For my game, ammo is king. It helps me survive the towers and on horde night.

But I gatta say I'm excited to see what's in those towers to make up for using the game item I need more than anything else.

I think it's going to be really cool in, alpha 19?, when we can get unique, named?, armor and guns.

I do them for the quest rewards, but the guys have buffed loot AFAIK.

Well I think I see what's going in here. You didnt do t5 quests in alpha 17. This makes this whole thing clear.

I guess I did misrepresent myself a bit. My fault. I don't nessisary NEED an ammo surplus from a t5 tower if theres other cool stuff to get. And from what your saying there will be cool stuff to get.

But will clearing a t5 tower get you anything specific you cant get anywhere else? Why would I do a t5 tower when I can clear a few lower tiers and maybe get more stuff and use less ammo?

Is it possible to make t5 towers drop stuff that cant be gotten elsewhere?

Or better yet can you make it so t5 quests give loot that you cant get elsewhere? And i dont mean augers, we only need 1 of those. I mean books, armor, weapons. I guess it's kinda like that now. But when I get my 4th green auger in a row i dont feel like doing the t5 quests anymore lol.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness post. I find the conversation interesting. Whatever you guys decide.

Yes in A19 T5's can have legendary stuff.

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

yeppers... another 50 points to xp

:)

50xp seems suuuper bad... can you tell us the ratio of getting xp?

Are zombies still multiple of 100's? wouldn't a % thing make more sense?

Like 50xp (or whatever) +5% of the current level so that they are still relevant lategame? that'd be awesome.

50xp seems suuuper bad... can you tell us the ratio of getting xp?

Are zombies still multiple of 100's? wouldn't a % thing make more sense?

Like 50xp (or whatever) +5% of the current level so that they are still relevant lategame? that'd be awesome.

yeah 50xp that's quite well I don't know not much you are better off scrapping them for paper aren't you? lol

Either way its a punishment. We'll get judged harshly for punishing new spawned players for getting slower XP rates than long time survivors if we put it in his way. A reward for surviving is technically a punishment for new spawned players. I like it as it is.

Each server has a game stage, right? How do you look at automatically giving new players on the server the level and number of skill points that correspond to the game stage?

We've talked about that but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. The loot boxes are already scrambled. The goal is to get duplicates to stop spawning so you never see the same POI in the same town twice.

Do we have enough POI? I mean if you have 20 towns on the map and you don't get any of the same POI in the same town twice will there be enough so that each town is unique and not feel like the same town? Besides road layout/biome. Some POI makes sense to have a few of the same while others not so much.

Important question that I have not seen the answer to - Can we use the beds as a permanent bedroll as long as it's within 25 blocks (or something to that effect) of our Landclaim block? I want a bed in my palace and don't feel like sleeping in a sleeping bag. As I travel around the map, a sleeping bag makes sense but my abode needs a real (virtual) bed that I call home. When I pick up the bedroll while travelling, it switches my spawn point back to my "Bed". Make sense?

This actually seems like a pretty good idea. I don't even see why it needs to be related to a land claim either. If you make a bed and place it, that becomes your main bed. If you put a sleeping bag down in your travels, it becomes your road-bed and when you pick it up or it gets destroyed you will return to your main bed if killed, instead of having to make a new one and put it back in the same spot as one that is already there(at least I think I remember you couldn't pick up a proper bed like you could a sleeping bag).

I suppose somebody could use it to "cheat" teleport their way across a great distance but I'm not sure how much benefit you'd get since you'd be teleporting with a DP ( :) ) and none of the materials you collected along the way. Unless you use the drop none on death option but then you'll have to live with the shame of that anyway. Just seems like a nice QOL improvement to me, and helps establish one base as your "true home."

No, each user has his own gamestage

My wuestion is, if i party up with a GS 100 and im GS 1, what happens,? are the zombies I HIT weak and if HE shoots at them they are stronger? Or is it whoeveers game stage is the highest in the party thats what it is? cause it maeks no sense.

If im on a server im GS 1 and someones GS 600, What if we are not in a party and zombies are chasing us? will i have a boat load of ferals and infected chasing me cause im near the GS 600? or will it cheat off me and he'll have easy kills?

- - - Updated - - -

This actually seems like a pretty good idea. I don't even see why it needs to be related to a land claim either. If you make a bed and place it, that becomes your main bed. If you put a sleeping bag down in your travels, it becomes your road-bed and when you pick it up or it gets destroyed you will return to your main bed if killed, instead of having to make a new one and put it back in the same spot as one that is already there(at least I think I remember you couldn't pick up a proper bed like you could a sleeping bag).

I suppose somebody could use it to "cheat" teleport their way across a great distance but I'm not sure how much benefit you'd get since you'd be teleporting with a DP ( :) ) and none of the materials you collected along the way. Unless you use the drop none on death option but then you'll have to live with the shame of that anyway. Just seems like a nice QOL improvement to me, and helps establish one base as your "true home."

or make sleeping bags one use items?? that whay you can use for PVP raids, POIS etc. and mak ethe flimsy mattress the "Tier 1" bed thats easily crafted?

I noticed a delete all, I need to try that sometime. Man that would suck, but at the same time it would make having 2nd string gear important and you wouldn't sell everything to traders you would horde more.

You should, it's great for that exact reason.

There are pockets craftable on day 1 for clothing that remove 1. Ones that remove 2 are available via book, as well as the standard armor pockets 17 had.

You read books immediately when you find them, you don't carry them around unless you are desperate for money. I take the XP, 100 dukes isn't worth it.

Your lucky if you find 3 in one day IMO, there just isn't any book cases anywhere to be found and most the time I get paper. I buy mine from traders most the time. I'm 40 hours into this game and I don't have hardly any books unlocked. I am not going to knee jerk over a bad game though. They aren't needed and some people will find 15 in one day if they get the right book POI, I have one tiny crack a book in my world so far.

We also removed a whole row of encumbrance, so I get by with my pockets and 1-2 ranks of pack mule just fine. Once I find more triple pockets I should be fully un encumbered.

Wait, are you also removing book stores as well?

Greetings

"New Demolisher zombie.Rigged with explosives he will plow through spike traps and explode when he reaches your walls. Shoot him in the flashing sweet spot to detonate him before he gets too close."

Ohh great we already have zombies that eat concrete walls as if they were made of cheese, Zombie underground homing torpedoes and now we are going to have Zombie suicide jockeys with explosive vests?

Walls are practically useless as it is already. Just go watch how many youtubers are all about cheesing the zombie AI nowadays. :jaded:

Why do we bother with any kind of a building system! :crushed:

Archived