Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I have another question in a18 can you still spend all your points to be able to farm good straight off the bat like you can now

You cannot do that in 17. You need to raise the attribute up some to get the 5th rank I'm sure, and its the same. Although I think this is an 18 change, you unlock easier less valuable crops early and harder crops later. There are seed schematics and seeds you find though, so you can get by without that if your patient.

I will be very interested to see how the "+ Generally more ammunition to be found in the world." change works out.

Right now, in our game we have practically unlimited numbers of steel arrows and crossbow bolts. Hopefully this change only applies to bullets.

I'm concerned that too much ammo diminishes the progress goal of being able to craft ammo. It's a great feeling when you accomplish not having to rely solely on looting to have ammo.

LOL, if you don't find a mine you will NOT have enough ammo, unless your a scrub who uses non specialized weapons. I sell all my shotty ammo and keep a pistol for backup, only because I found a green pistol. But its kind of a waste my spiked knuckles are faster at killing than an unspec'd pistol. The issue is when I run out of stamina.

Seriously? this is how you envisioned this game, instead of just taking clothes or armour off to cool down we have to read a book, come on :/

What are you on about? All clothes give cold insulation now, plus random stats on clothes, plus there are foods and drinks that give cold protection.

This is just a little RPG-like design for the game.

Seriously? this is how you envisioned this game, instead of just taking clothes or armour off to cool down we have to read a book, come on :/

Scrap m for the paper and be done with it. No gun to your head making you use them.

I think its a pretty cool looting incentive.

Cheers

-edit and its not a book to reduce heat. Its a book that teaches you a technique to withstand heat better. Just saying.

I'm talking about a 'BOOK' to reduce heat /sigh

And i'm talking about game design beating realism to death. Why would leveling a skill on a menu give you weather insulation? I don't know man, that's why it is a game and it isn't a real life simulator.

The book's just a bonus. Already in A17 every clothing item has both cold and heat insulation at the same time. If you're still taking off clothes in A17 because it's too hot, you haven't understood the system.

Is there a technical reason we can’t get more furnishings for our base? To fill the base more? Themes and styles? Base building brings the architect out in me. We could just buy them at the trader. Also, it would be great to ease up a bit on the building physics so it’s easier to build large spaces. Just say 50%.

S

-edit and its not a book to reduce heat. Its a book that teaches you a technique to withstand heat better. Just saying.

Don't give him false hope.

Boldero, the books are magic, pure magic.

Since you don't believe in magic, you know they are absolutely useless. Just send them over to me for disposal.

Is there a technical reason we can’t get more furnishings for our base? To fill the base more? Themes and styles? Base building brings the architect out in me. We could just buy them at the trader. Also, it would be great to ease up a bit on the building physics so it’s easier to build large spaces. Just say 50%.

It seems they think about making decorative items in POIs wrenchable so you can collect them and put them into your base.

On mods that seem to support a range we can tinker with. Was just an idea, haven't even talked to the team about it, but in general we love procedural content so I can't see anyone arguing against it for stuff that has a range of stats anyway.

I like to think of gun mods being an upgraded version of gun parts. If you add random stats to mods, this will be amazing, and far better than the original gun parts, IMHO.

With the old gun parts: you didn't have a working weapon, just pieces. Assembling them gave you a working weapon with a quality that was dependent on the individual quality of the parts used. That's it. The use of the workbench to upgrade crappy parts/items into better parts/items was nifty. The way repairing reduced the overall quality was also a nice touch some people miss as well. Right now, once you get a level 6 gun, that's it; you're done crafting/looting for it. At least random stats will help with this.

With gun mods (also armor mods, bow mods, etc): you always have at least a working weapon, but it's only got base stats. The mods are essentially part replacements (new scope, new grip, new clip, new barrel, new stock, etc.), each with unique effects beyond the vanilla parts, and if the stat bonuses are fixed, they'll properly add to accuracy, damage, reload speed, aiming, etc. Not all mods should add to damage, for example. Add in random mod stats, and it should work a lot like a simpler version of The Division's armor/gun mod system, which was pretty great, IMHO.

@madmole

I'm hoping the mod refresh you're planning will introduce mod quality as well as random stats to visually indicate how good of a mod you find. This would be amazing for a ton of HELLLLL YEAAA moments while looting. You could have Legendary Mods (or even Set/Named Mods) with unique effects or stats, and with sets, a set bonus if you outfit an item armor/weapon) with all set mods, like the new books have. A fully-decked out, L6 weapon with all L6 mods, with god rolls, that you spec into should feel OP, but should be nearly impossible to get naturally, like winning the RNG Lottery. Great work so far! I like your direction.

P.S. with all your talk of how great playing A18 has been, I hope the exp release is coming soon. You tease us so relentlessly it's starting to hurt my soul!! Plz MM PLZ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I like to think of gun mods being an upgraded version of gun parts. If you add random stats to mods, this will be amazing, and far better than the original gun parts, IMHO.

With the old gun parts: you didn't have a working weapon, just pieces. Assembling them gave you a working weapon with a quality that was dependent on the individual quality of the parts used. That's it. The use of the workbench to upgrade crappy parts/items into better parts/items was nifty. The way repairing reduced the overall quality was also a nice touch some people miss as well. Right now, once you get a level 6 gun, that's it; you're done crafting/looting for it. At least random stats will help with this.

With gun mods (also armor mods, bow mods, etc): you always have at least a working weapon, but it's only got base stats. The mods are essentially part replacements (new scope, new grip, new clip, new barrel, new stock, etc.), each with unique effects beyond the vanilla parts, and if the stat bonuses are fixed, they'll properly add to accuracy, damage, reload speed, aiming, etc. Not all mods should add to damage, for example. Add in random mod stats, and it should work a lot like a simpler version of The Division's armor/gun mod system, which was pretty great, IMHO.

@madmole

I'm hoping the mod refresh you're planning will introduce mod quality as well as random stats to visually indicate how good of a mod you find. This would be amazing for a ton of HELLLLL YEAAA moments while looting. You could have Legendary Mods (or even Set/Named Mods) with unique effects or stats, and with sets, a set bonus if you outfit an item armor/weapon) with all set mods, like the new books have. A fully-decked out, L6 weapon with all L6 mods, with god rolls, that you spec into should feel OP, but should be nearly impossible to get naturally, like winning the RNG Lottery. Great work so far! I like your direction.

P.S. with all your talk of how great playing A18 has been, I hope the exp release is coming soon. You tease us so relentlessly it's starting to hurt my soul!! Plz MM PLZ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I'm not sure mods would need quality, just random stats tbh. We're talking about a name generator for legendary weapons, like "Noun" "Adjective" "Gun Type". So Grandpas, Slick Willies, Dukes Favorite, etc fill the noun, then the adjective could be "quick, speedy, hasty" for fast reloads, and you might find "Slick Willies hasty shotgun. For damage it might be "Terrifying, ass kickin', hole blowin' etc. So you might get Grandpa's Hole Blow'n double barrel. Mod it with slick willies hasty reload mod, and your doing massive damage and reloading faster.

You still wear clothes to cool down. This just gives you built in protection without clothes and stacks with clothes. Sometimes clothes aren't enough.

I'm not sure mods would need quality, just random stats tbh. We're talking about a name generator for legendary weapons, like "Noun" "Adjective" "Gun Type". So Grandpas, Slick Willies, Dukes Favorite, etc fill the noun, then the adjective could be "quick, speedy, hasty" for fast reloads, and you might find "Slick Willies hasty shotgun. For damage it might be "Terrifying, ass kickin', hole blowin' etc. So you might get Grandpa's Hole Blow'n double barrel. Mod it with slick willies hasty reload mod, and your doing massive damage and reloading faster.

One thing I've seen brought up about mod quality would be the potential to have durability on mods themselves. Maybe only certain kinds take damage per shot/swing. Say barrel mods on weapons or spikes on clubs. Then you could have some that take damage as you yourself take damage. Think if you have a scoped rifle out and get hit by a zed. Makes sense they would smack the gun and potentially damage the scope.

Dude, hell yes on that idea times a thousand 🤘

there are many ways you can learn to lower heart rate and temperature...I don't think reading a book for this slight benefit is game breaking , or in the realm of fantasy.

I have a question in one of the pictures in cm mode I noticed one was called "duke" is that referencing the duke of navezgane? and his mutant army of bandits it's the native looking guy

- - - Updated - - -

also people who complain about reading books to gain certain stats realise this game isn't built on relalism but some to most aspects of the game are

Fair enough, I'll take it.

** Make Looting Great Again **

Seriously. Clothing is often utilized to protect against the sun and configured to maximize airflow and cooling. If you are not familiar with the concept, a quick read from a related book or magazine could help you to adjust your existing clothing in this manner.

Archived