Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Its not much, but the perks master chef, blacksmith and advanced engineering now give you a crafting speed boost. So you get something extra than the guy who found the recipes does.

I personally never found the crafting speed boosts useful at all, so it'd be great if down the line you could come up with different kinds of bonuses.

What would be the point of attributes if they were completely separate? What benefits would there be to putting points into them? Right now they augment the perks within their category. You really aren’t wasting points by increasing strength if all you want is shotgun because strength benefits shotgun use as well. I’m not sure why you see strength attribute as a waste of points if you want to use the shotgun. And if you unlink the shotgun perk from any attributes then those bonuses are gone and attributes would have to do something else.

So....what should they do?

Passive bonuses. That's what. Some off the cuff thoughts:

Strength - Increases block/melee damage by x% (small increments), less encumbrance debuff, Increased stack sizes (Can you imagine the frothing rage?) reduced stamina use in melee

Perception - Faster zoom speed with scoped weapons, higher chance of a critical hit, chance to find additional loot in containers

Fortitude - x% damage resist, +x% (fractional) additional hp per level, debuff effects reduced by x%

Agility - x% less fall damage, jump x% higher/farther, x% chance to dodge an attack that would normally hit, reduced ADS time, faster reload speed

Intellect - x% less crafting time of things in the science category, x% better barter pricing, % chance to find additional scrap in loot, more harvest from mechanical/electronic blocks

You could go farther and have perks that would add bigger "chunks" to a specific thing like chance to find an additional item by 3% instead of .25% or whatever to further specialize, or have "synergy perks" that require 2 or more attributes to be at a certain level.

EDIT: I know this isn't the direction TFP wants to go, I was just answering Roland's question. Peace be with your souls.

hey joel even though alpha 17 wasn't the best you know it still had very positive reviews and also 7dtd is number 49 on steam charts so great job joel and tfp

Yes but its never good losing fans. I think we'll rectify that for most players.

I personally never found the crafting speed boosts useful at all, so it'd be great if down the line you could come up with different kinds of bonuses.

Yeah I don't know, crafting 1000 forged iron for iron bars and spikes takes quite a while. With an anvil and the perk we're getting over 50% time reduction which can speed things up maybe you won't need 4 forges or whatever. Crafting bullets takes ages as well as armor, etc. Looking forward to it TBH.

Yes, hopefully lots of people take some and forget Alpha 17 and change their reviews back to positive :D

Why? A17 had it's rough points, but it was mostly redoing old systems that were a bit clunky, and needed updating to make them more versatile. Just needed some time to get it up to snuff and beyond with what a16 was. A17 brought a lot to the table to make that happen. A17 was worth it, in the long run. at least imo.

edit: I just think people needed to view it, for what it was..

Passive bonuses. That's what. Some off the cuff thoughts:

Strength - Increases block/melee damage by x% (small increments), less encumbrance debuff, Increased stack sizes (Can you imagine the frothing rage?) reduced stamina use in melee

Perception - Faster zoom speed with scoped weapons, higher chance of a critical hit, chance to find additional loot in containers

Fortitude - x% damage resist, +x% (fractional) additional hp per level, debuff effects reduced by x%

Agility - x% less fall damage, jump x% higher/farther, x% chance to dodge an attack that would normally hit, reduced ADS time, faster reload speed

Intellect - x% less crafting time of things in the science category, x% better barter pricing, % chance to find additional scrap in loot, more harvest from mechanical/electronic blocks

You could go farther and have perks that would add bigger "chunks" to a specific thing like chance to find an additional item by 3% instead of .25% or whatever to further specialize, or have "synergy perks" that require 2 or more attributes to be at a certain level.

I view them as raw ability, but the perk is a developed skill. Kind of like I invest into strength by lifting weights and eating a ton of food all the time IRL. Now I have the 500 pound squat perk, the intimidating body perk, the sexy attraction perk, the handstand perk. I eat right, so I have the anti aging perk. When I quit lifting my strength goes down and I lose my perks.

I invested into intellect by reading countless self help books then I got the game developer perk. Without investing into my intellect though by reading, studying success, studying game developers, or finishing high school I probably might not have had the early success at modding which led to a crack at making games, which led to making finally a commercially successful game.

So you need to invest in attributes to have the raw ability to get the perks. The attribute is not much on its own except potential. And as in real life, we want the attribute to govern your perks.

Yes, hopefully lots of people take some and forget Alpha 17 and change their reviews back to positive :D

Well... no matter how bad early A17 was and how frustrated long time players are...

it seems (especially with the steamreviewboosting event that happened) that new players are a lot happier now, with recent reviews beeing on 89%

So even though I don't quite understand (can only guess that now its only new players but nothing certain) A17.4 was at least fixing the biggest missteps (levelgates and stamina and overall balancing) to the point that it is enjoyable to most players.

But yeah... my review will change with A18 or 18.X... and I really can't wait! Only thing now that I really want is more/better electricity (automatic doors/drawbridges! CMAN that is really not too hard and would improve so much)

I view them as raw ability, but the perk is a developed skill.

So you need to invest in attributes to have the raw ability to get the perks. The attribute is not much on its own except potential. And as in real life, we want the attribute to govern your perks.

I understand, just a difference of opinion big guy. :)

Well... no matter how bad early A17 was and how frustrated long time players are...

it seems (especially with the steamreviewboosting event that happened) that new players are a lot happier now, with recent reviews beeing on 89%

So even though I don't quite understand (can only guess that now its only new players but nothing certain) A17.4 was at least fixing the biggest missteps (levelgates and stamina and overall balancing) to the point that it is enjoyable to most players.

But yeah... my review will change with A18 or 18.X... and I really can't wait! Only thing now that I really want is more/better electricity (automatic doors/drawbridges! CMAN that is really not too hard and would improve so much)

If you change your review right now I'll add those in.

I still need a ton of tier 3 stuff and I'm looking forward to electricity I've never played a game long enough to get that.

This explains much when it comes to electricity. I think its great, just needs some polish and a little time spent on it.

Your on a roll.......heres here all week folks....try the veal!!!

Coughs * VIDEO * Coughs

I was slammed today. I had to rebalance gas because auger/chainsaw used more gas in one minute than driving a minibike for a whole day. I just added a zero to everything but the auger/chainsaw and changed the stack size to 5k on gas. Should be a lot better and it saved all the balance work I did on finding gas. It was a non issue before when there was 1000's of gas to be found in ten seconds but now that gas is how I want it, the power tools were a problem.

I took a stab at a trap master perk, but it felt like I'd never waste points on that, so I am integrating trap XP to the perks that unlock them, so again perks will be better than just the recipe unlocks.

Then I added faster crafting for most perks, I still have work to finish that up. Cooking a build now and will start testing for the night.

Anyhow I'll get more vids very soon.

Block thought: a new hatch that you could shoot through when it was closed.

Maybe something like a hinged Iron Bars hatch?

Was tinkering w a small new 'quick base' design and have a couple points where I'd likely really need to be able to repair traps from above. Was wishing it were possible to Repair thru the iron bars, then went w hatches.

Then the lightbulb for an Iron Bars Hatch, heh.

Whatdaya think?

If you change your review right now I'll add those in.

I know you are baiting me, not stating when since it is probably already a planned feature... but just to show you that I REALLY want advanced electronics... and because you really did try to salvage A17 and A18 looks this promising... there ya go :D

ratingbefore.thumb.jpg.07735df8cad809e2436949f78a28a297.jpg

ratingafter.thumb.jpg.e3240ebf6ea86d8fefb9336ba34eabe2.jpg

Its not much, but the perks master chef, blacksmith and advanced engineering now give you a crafting speed boost. So you get something extra than the guy who found the recipes does.

That's a really cool bonus for being skilled versus reading how to do something. Very reasonable.

I know you are baiting me, not stating when since it is probably already a planned feature... but just to show you that I REALLY want advanced electronics... and because you really did try to salvage A17 and A18 looks this promising... there ya go :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28868[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28867[/ATTACH]

Um, did you just get us new doors that can tie into the electrical grid? Glad you changed your review regardless, was actually hard to imagine how/why you'd actually had it as "not recommended" after reading how much praise you gave things in the positive section. Anyway, hope it got us some new fancy doorness.(and if those are already in madmole, then well played, you deserve the review upgrade regardless.)

My question, @Madmole: do you know if the turrets have been fixed? I had a blast making electrical systems in A16, but them wasting ammo on walls ended up causing me to avoid bothering with any of it throughout the entirety of A17, mainly for that reason, and I really want to get back into it. Also the lights, in regards to at least restoring the variety in A16, but whatabout POI lights? Hooking those up to the power system was a base milestone I dearly miss from A16.

I was slammed today. I had to rebalance gas because auger/chainsaw used more gas in one minute than driving a minibike for a whole day. I just added a zero to everything but the auger/chainsaw and changed the stack size to 5k on gas. Should be a lot better and it saved all the balance work I did on finding gas. It was a non issue before when there was 1000's of gas to be found in ten seconds but now that gas is how I want it, the power tools were a problem.

I took a stab at a trap master perk, but it felt like I'd never waste points on that, so I am integrating trap XP to the perks that unlock them, so again perks will be better than just the recipe unlocks.

Then I added faster crafting for most perks, I still have work to finish that up. Cooking a build now and will start testing for the night.

Anyhow I'll get more vids very soon.

The speed with which you're now able to make changes like this is incredible. Nice work, team!

Um, did you just get us new doors that can tie into the electrical grid? Glad you changed your review regardless, was actually hard to imagine how/why you'd actually had it as "not recommended" after reading how much praise you gave things in the positive section. Anyway, hope it got us some new fancy doorness.(and if those are already in madmole, then well played, you deserve the review upgrade regardless.)

I hope I did ^^ although I doubt MM will change development, just because one hater on the forums changed his review :p

And I don't want to give like a huge monologue, but yes. I always try to be fair. And there were a lot of nice things in A17. There were just things that I felt were more severely hindering fun that I couldn't upvote it in good concience. With A17.4 its at least playable and enjoyable, even if I still feel its a step back from A16. But if A18 really is as awesome as MM hypes me up, then that was worth it for me :D

Its going into 18.

First you maintain the level cap of 300 for us crazy lateplayers and now you allow us to respec? Are you trying to make us praise your beard or should we switch to protein only diet all together to withstand the incoming cave-dwelling and divorces?

Edit: I also like the workstation tweaks, the Gyro comment and the new Gas stack size. I also love the review electrical door challenge.

PLEASE NOTE: A17: Auger is slower than the pickaxe in mining with no mods. It takes about 4 seconds to take down a rock with that machine. Pickaxe can kill a rock in 1 with no mods and with a tiny little few perks (actually full strenght and miner69 on 5 in said a17). Auger is also a gas eater in a17, though I think you just said you tweaked it. I don't usually use Chainsaw, but I think both the Auger and the CHainsaw should be overpowered as they are costly, expensive and consume oil.

Archived