Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I really hate to bother. Though would it be too much to ask to have the damage of the explosion from the upcoming Demolisher be a modifiable integer?

I strongly believe much fun can be had with both your vision of how much damage the explosion should do. As well as my miniature nuke level of explosions of a simple modded tweak.

A18 experimental drops July 1st.... we heard it her folks!

A18 experimental drops July 1st.... we heard it her folks!

Odd you would quote me on that. I have said to friends of my community that A18 has a potential release date of July 1st. Due to July 1st being the end of the first half of 2019

Here is what the very first page says on this thread via Madmole

Madmole "Also, Alpha 18 waits for noone or no feature. If a feature isn't ready it gets disabled. I can't give a release date but I can assure you its in the first half of 2019."

Not sure. Pimp Con 2020? Sounds like it could be cool.

So I as just perusing the cons out there that tfp would be a good fit at...

...there are really quite a lot of crappy cons out there... Mostly anime ones to give people excuses to cosplay, but not a lot of serious cons that a reputable vendor would want to show their wares at.

Sad.

Almost nothing I post is in a serious nature, not sure if I came across in the right way. I was referring to actual pimps/hookers, etc. Kinda like "The Girl Next Door" kinda convention

Almost nothing I post is in a serious nature, not sure if I came across in the right way. I was referring to actual pimps/hookers, etc. Kinda like "The Girl Next Door" kinda convention

We knew. Why do you think Guppy went directly to searching after your post...? ;)

You guys asking to see stuff you should know its basically nothing then content overload towards the end because everything typically wraps up at the end. Perks are about 98% done, books are about 50% done now. Still a lot of terrain textures to redo to work with the new splat map system, and lots of little details to do on the new weapons. I plan to be first testing maybe by the first of June and that will give me a full month to fix bugs and balance before experimental hits.

Most of us know that a vid-dump happens shortly before a release. I think some are using it as a roundabout way of asking "is it nearly done yet?".

Have you just mentioned a date? You know that always go well :-)

Those are called auto turrets. Hey I would love recruiting survivors as much as anyone, but until we get MUCH better performance allowing players to have pets/npcs is off the table.

I don't get it. We have zombie's zombie birds, traders and all sorts of animals. Each with there own programs and behaviors. You all boast about improving performance and graphics at the same time and do it well.

Every time an Alpha drops peoples jaws hit the floor and amazed of all the improvements you all make.

Yet at the same time it seems that you undersell yourselves. Why?

I can find the ground work for friendly NPC's. that have been tucked away in the game for years. Heck even modders have used them to a limited degree in making there own friendly NPC's.

I could understand pets being off the table but not NPC's.

They could make the game so much cooler and it would not take the graphics anymore than a zombie moving around and farting.

So why not finish it and see how it plays out? :)

Skyrim is my favorite game of all time. Mods keep it alive. I hope 7 years after gold 7 Days mods are keeping us alive like they have Skyrim. I have 3k hours in skyrim and almost 1k in special edition lol. I don't even play that much, but 2 hours a day adds up.

Oh, god as long you don't go Todd Howard, don't go there. -shudders- 7 Days to Die Remastered now available on Windows 6000! I have nothing again Skyrim Special Edtion.

Skyrim is my favorite game of all time. Mods keep it alive. I hope 7 years after gold 7 Days mods are keeping us alive like they have Skyrim. I have 3k hours in skyrim and almost 1k in special edition lol. I don't even play that much, but 2 hours a day adds up.

Have you tried Enderal yet? I did because they redid skills/talents just like you guys did. (And I wanted to experience another game that did away with LBD to try to have a more informed opinion.). It does feel different at first, but then you get used to it and just play the game.

I am waiting for a couple more mod updates/fixes and plan to retry it (Skyrim) in VR. (Unless TFP and/or Guppy come out with a VR enhancement to 7D2D - cuz then the rest of my life is all set...)

Checking back I see it was really you starting the topic, but you were arguing for less info on clear quests(!), nothing more. But lets not get into "he said, she said..." any further, generally you and Roland want less information, but you propose to give others who still want the pointers in clear quests only(!) a solution they might not really want.

I don't think it is difficult to see that "permanent radar" is quite different from a situational radar in clear quests whose most important use case is to find the last zombie in a big POI.

Then that was poor wording on my part, as I only intended it as an example. Was late, and I was working off little sleep. XD

Have you tried Enderal yet? I did because they redid skills/talents just like you guys did. (And I wanted to experience another game that did away with LBD to try to have a more informed opinion.). It does feel different at first, but then you get used to it and just play the game.

I am waiting for a couple more mod updates/fixes and plan to retry it (Skyrim) in VR. (Unless TFP and/or Guppy come out with a VR enhancement to 7D2D - cuz then the rest of my life is all set...)

I did a unity scene in VR and played a bit with the hand controllers, but I didn't get any farther :)

That part was super easy... Just use the VR camera controller instead of the fps one... The rest was of course beyond me.

I did have a chat with someone knowledgeable once about it and the impression I got was that it really would come down to the UI.

Sure, we can hack together a VR experience but you'd still end up having to press a button to loot, etc, whereas if it was done right you'd be able to pinch your fingers, lifts lids, open cupboards...

I say do it right or don't do it at all.

I think rift support is a Kickstarter goal so who knows... I doubt that it's even a consideration this late in development.

Are there plans to give the demolisher zombie special AI that reflects it's demolition expertise in a past life?

Probably not. They're zombies, they don't remember their past life, as they are dead, just reanimated with some virus. They may just run up and explode.

I did a unity scene in VR and played a bit with the hand controllers, but I didn't get any farther :)

That part was super easy... Just use the VR camera controller instead of the fps one... The rest was of course beyond me.

I did have a chat with someone knowledgeable once about it and the impression I got was that it really would come down to the UI.

Sure, we can hack together a VR experience but you'd still end up having to press a button to loot, etc, whereas if it was done right you'd be able to pinch your fingers, lifts lids, open cupboards...

I say do it right or don't do it at all.

I think rift support is a Kickstarter goal so who knows... I doubt that it's even a consideration this late in development.

No worries. You kind of stated that previously. I was being slightly flippant. I am sure A18 will suck a few more hours out of my life. And maybe 7D2D 2 w VR will suck another $20 out of my life savings... (btw - if there's a Kickstart round 2 AND it includes VR, i might donate slightly more than $20...) (Heck - maybe even if it doesn't.)

Odd you would quote me on that. I have said to friends of my community that A18 has a potential release date of July 1st. Due to July 1st being the end of the first half of 2019

Here is what the very first page says on this thread via Madmole

Madmole "Also, Alpha 18 waits for noone or no feature. If a feature isn't ready it gets disabled. I can't give a release date but I can assure you its in the first half of 2019."

I'll never be making these kind of insane assumptions again. While we're in there, we should do this and that, and we did. I'm not saying we won't make June 30th or July 1st, but its not that simple disabling stuff that isn't done at this point. We did way more work than anticipated though when I wrote that, and I'm really happy we did this much work with a lot of the team focused on 17 bugs and performance for a large portion of this build.

Most of us know that a vid-dump happens shortly before a release. I think some are using it as a roundabout way of asking "is it nearly done yet?".

Have you just mentioned a date? You know that always go well :-)

I already did ages ago on the first post.

I don't get it. We have zombie's zombie birds, traders and all sorts of animals. Each with there own programs and behaviors. You all boast about improving performance and graphics at the same time and do it well.

Every time an Alpha drops peoples jaws hit the floor and amazed of all the improvements you all make.

Yet at the same time it seems that you undersell yourselves. Why?

I can find the ground work for friendly NPC's. that have been tucked away in the game for years. Heck even modders have used them to a limited degree in making there own friendly NPC's.

I could understand pets being off the table but not NPC's.

They could make the game so much cooler and it would not take the graphics anymore than a zombie moving around and farting.

So why not finish it and see how it plays out? :)

Nobody cares if a bandit gets stuck in your winding mine shaft, but your trusty NPC you leveled up? Also seeing his feet not IK to the stairs and probably skate about a bit over your rough mines. Bandits will be in a more controlled setting, in their POI or maybe out in the terrain and are shooting at you or melee clubbing in a frantic situation. It doesn't have to be perfect in those situations. But if we allow you observe the AI and animations up close and personal, its going to do more against us than for us.

And then everyone on the server wants their own AI, and they log off and others join, but their NPCs stay logged on. Think of the lag and all the processing. They might need to eat and have calories burning. Its just outside of the scope of what we need to do, and probably better suited for a sequel where we can build off of the shoulders of this game.

It could happen, but lately I'm trying to be realistic. And the thing is, a modder can easily do it after our bandits are in and working pretty good and then its fine because PC gamer isn't giving us a bad review because their NPC didn't meet their expectations.

At the end of the day it adds a ton of scope to the game, performance issues and would have us shipping probably 6-12 months later than we could. I'd rather do bandits pretty good, than bandits and follower NPCs very poorly.

Oh, god as long you don't go Todd Howard, don't go there. -shudders- 7 Days to Die Remastered now available on Windows 6000! I have nothing again Skyrim Special Edtion.

Why not? Lets just say that if we worked on the engine on another game and massive advancements were made, 3-4 years later you could get it and it supports raytraced graphics, and a bunch of other cool stuff why not? By then a new console would be out we could make it available to them. I have no problem with ports and legendary or special editions. Don't want it? Don't buy it. I think its more about bringing it to new customers than hosing old ones.

No I'm not big on total conversions or super huge mods. I thought it was a new game at first lol, but I saw a lot of things that looked like Skyrim then I realized it was a mod for Skyrim.

Skyrim VR is a trip, but it takes basically a full screen for each eye, so it has to be run at very low resolution. Controls are weird. Its fun as hell to walk around and see skyrim in 3d though. Something like a barrel is life size when you walk up to it. Dragons Reach is so impressive in VR. I tried it on a PS3 and it was vanilla, so once you get used to your favorite mods and hd textures its impossible to go back.

To me mods are like being a game designer, or having crazy advanced options, you build the game you want to play.

Are there plans to give the demolisher zombie special AI that reflects it's demolition expertise in a past life?

He'll probably get some custom AI and properties so he bull dozes traps and explodes at the right time.

It will probably be tweaked for what it needs to do.

He'll probably get some custom AI and properties so he bull dozes traps and explodes at the right time.

Zombies with laser beam eyes - COMFIRMED for A18!!!

Now, is Faatal and MM saying the Nuclear Bomb Zombie IS the Demolisher or is that an A18.1 thing?

Why not? Lets just say that if we worked on the engine on another game and massive advancements were made, 3-4 years later you could get it and it supports raytraced graphics, and a bunch of other cool stuff why not? By then a new console would be out we could make it available to them. I have no problem with ports and legendary or special editions. Don't want it? Don't buy it. I think its more about bringing it to new customers than hosing old ones.

As long as we get more NPC's in the future games! lol

Archived