Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes, which is why would like to implement an occlusion system but it is not easy since the world is fully destroyable.

I'm pretty confident you'll find solutions for a decent occlusion system, your technical staff should/will be stoked to work on something similar, at least I would be ! ^^ Honestly this may actually improve performance by such a HUGE margin that it might be a gamebreaking (gamemaking ?) feature in order to add more costly stuff (bandits, more zombies, etc)

Take a look at this, there's a link in the description, I can't vouch for it since I didn't do any more research than that, but the blog seems very thoughtful and with interesting topics. The pro version costs 1K which is obviously nothing compared to the cost of making your own from scratch.

This is not a RWG-generation problem! If you want the biomes may change each step!

It's about the size of world.

On the contrary, the journey to find the desert can be fun and interesting and motivate the player. Otherwise, you need to remove all the transport - it is not needed in this miserable piece of 8x8 meters.

Why do you add these absurdities. You've already explained everything when you said about the technical side of the problem. People feel like you're inventing nonexistent causes....

It's not necessary... it's offensive.

Not everyone wants to spend 12 real time hours walking somewhere and few would agree its motivating. Vehicles are absurdities? The only thing absurd is your opinion.

Modern day "Supply and Demand"!

you supply a bigger map and they demand more and faster vehicles to get across the bigger map... rinse and repeat because the faster vehicles shrink the map. :)

If we supported 64k maps then they would complain the vehicles are way too slow.

Remove vehicles for the win! :D well at least the gyro-copter..

Or just make mountains/cliff/canyons rougher, to go off-road and over, with vehicles, so they need to go around them mostly instead.

Or, just choose to walk if you think its too easy once you get a vehicle? This is turning into another food spoilage discussion. Balance will solve it. If you don't have 20k gas stored up you might only be able to use vehicles a few days a week or when you are lucky and have gathered enough fuel to go on a longer trip.

@MM

I'm curious. If you were offered to take a 3d-model (of proper quality and appropriate to the theme of the game) complete with sources materials, which made the modder. For free and with permission to do anything with it.

Would you take it for 7dtd if you liked it?

Or is there some reason why you won't do it?

What does this have to do with anything? 3D models have never been a bottle neck for us.

What kinds of advantages do the fist-based melee weapons give, and how is that related to fortitude? Is there some kind of defensive bonus, lower interrupt chance, or is it just that fortitude players can risk getting up-close-and-personal because they are so tanky?

They are tanky and once you punch them in the face their teeth are knocked out and they cannot infect you.

I'm pretty confident you'll find solutions for a decent occlusion system, your technical staff should/will be stoked to work on something similar, at least I would be ! ^^ Honestly this may actually improve performance by such a HUGE margin that it might be a gamebreaking (gamemaking ?) feature in order to add more costly stuff (bandits, more zombies, etc)

Take a look at this, there's a link in the description, I can't vouch for it since I didn't do any more research than that, but the blog seems very thoughtful and with interesting topics. The pro version costs 1K which is obviously nothing compared to the cost of making your own from scratch.

That is a whole voxel game engine we can't just start from scratch. We have an occlusion system working but can't turn it on until all the edge cases and bugs are fixed.

What does this have to do with anything? 3D models have never been a bottle neck for us.

No-no, this does not apply to the topic of RWG - this is about another.

I asked only what is written - actually. Without a hint.

Some blocks are missing for a long time, for example - a desktop PC, which your prefab designers are trying to portray with the help of TVs.

I think - making this 3D-model - a win-win situation.

In any case, it will be in demand, but, you still haven't done it.

It seems to be a logical step....?

Not everyone wants to spend 12 real time hours walking somewhere and few would agree its motivating. Vehicles are absurdities? The only thing absurd is your opinion.

Actually, i didn't say transport was absurd on its own. But the transport on the map with a size of 2x2 meters, it is of course absurd.

UPD:

Ah....I must apologize again.

Why do you add these absurdities. You've already explained everything when you said about the technical side of the problem. People feel like you're inventing nonexistent causes....

It's not necessary... it's offensive.

I wrote this is not about transport, but about your assumption that Aloe need seek far.

Sorry. My bad. I was inconsistent in my writing.

That is a whole voxel game engine we can't just start from scratch. We have an occlusion system working but can't turn it on until all the edge cases and bugs are fixed.

Well, you don't have to use all of it, I would assume it's a multi-module plugin from which you can use only certains aspects as needed. Or maybe even some ideas, if you have access to the source code.

Actually, i didn't say transport was absurd on its own. But the transport on the map with a size of 2x2 meters, it is of course absurd.

At some point you gotta choose some decent arguments if you wanna confront someone's ideas. Vehicles are useful for any small trip given it's a huge gain of time not losing a couple of IG hours per day going to and back from somewhere. Let alone 8x8km which is huge and takes an enormous amount of time to explore fully. Do you guys actually explore the map in straight lines ? I mean it's 8x8x8, that's a ♥♥♥♥ton of voxels to render... and POIs to loot. I can't fathom how map size is a relevant problem unless you play on huge no-respawn servers. And even then, if it's a high pop server, it seems like a pretty logic thing to meet other players that fight for the same goods.

At some point you gotta choose some decent arguments if you wanna confront someone's ideas. Vehicles are useful for any small trip given it's a huge gain of time not losing a couple of IG hours per day going to and back from somewhere. Let alone 8x8km which is huge and takes an enormous amount of time to explore fully. Do you guys actually explore the map in straight lines ? I mean it's 8x8x8, that's a ♥♥♥♥ton of voxels to render... and POIs to loot. I can't fathom how map size is a relevant problem unless you play on huge no-respawn servers. And even then, if it's a high pop server, it seems like a pretty logic thing to meet other players that fight for the same goods.

There is no, i not play in MP. For me - this size is lacking even for SP. I travel.

Аnd those who play MP - is constantly faced with the border of the world.

No one explores every voxel on the map, in this case - it does not seem such a big number.

Big the world need to cities were further from each other.

Or, just choose to walk if you think its too easy once you get a vehicle? This is turning into another food spoilage discussion. Balance will solve it. If you don't have 20k gas stored up you might only be able to use vehicles a few days a week or when you are lucky and have gathered enough fuel to go on a longer trip.

Uhhh I don't use vehicles tyvm!

And it was a ->Joke<- about getting rid of the vehicles, but not a joke to make the mountains, cliffs, canyons rougher for the vehicles to transverse.

They are tanky and once you punch them in the face their teeth are knocked out and they cannot infect you.

Hopefully next week we can see a video of this.

This will be my go to weapon of choice. Wish the heavy attack was an uppercut but I'll settle for that right hook :fat:

as strange as it may seem (then again, if you know me, you know its not strange)... I Do Not use vehicles and i rarely make a map bigger then 4K, I also exclusively do melee, dont waste my time with guns. :)

as it has and will be pointed out... not everyone plays the game the same way and shouldnt, thats why there are choices. :)

Sweet. From what I heard, occlusion culling can improve performance in the 30% range. Never worked for me that well though, it usually is more like in the 15-20% range for heavy hitting object-rich scenes/games (like 7dtd) .

Will it make it to a18? Had to ask. We dream, you make. LOL.

So, Strength gets clubs, Fortitude gets fist weapons, Intelligence gets stun batons, Perception(?) gets spears... what does Agility get?

I believe in previous posts, agility would get knives. Though it could have changed by now.

If we supported 64k maps then they would complain the vehicles are way too slow.

Whereas at the moment on 16k multiplayer maps they're complaining that the vehicles are redundant because there isn't enough space to require them.

If only there was a number between 16 and 64. :-)

Whereas at the moment on 16k multiplayer maps they're complaining that the vehicles are redundant because there isn't enough space to require them.

If only there was a number between 16 and 64. :-)

Not enough space to use vehicles on 16k? I completely disagree and I'm not sure why anyone would ever say that. Even on 4k they have an important use (if only for the additional storage capacity they provide). Covering 2km on foot and on a vehicle is totally different.

----del---- come on , nothing.

I just wanted to say,if you don't need a lot of space, that's your business, but that doesn't mean it's enough for everyone. Everyone has their own style of play, and I don't want to play like you.

You don't want to play my game, do you ? ;) tolerance? Yes? ;)

Not enough space to use vehicles on 16k? I completely disagree and I'm not sure why anyone would ever say that. Even on 4k they have an important use (if only for the additional storage capacity they provide). Covering 2km on foot and on a vehicle is totally different.

If you have a large map and don't want to travel then you don't have to, assuming a reasonably well balanced world generator.

If you have a large map and like to travel, that's fine.

If you like to travel but you only have a small map you're out of luck.

Always plan for the worst case scenario which in this case would be the play style known as "nomadic" with a player who likes to explore.

No plans for infinite worlds or anything larger than 16k. Gas needs to be more scarce so if you want to drive everywhere you will probably be actively looking for gas like you for ammo and ammo resources. I honestly don't see the value in super huge worlds because as it stands one city out lives my entire play session for looting. Why would I travel to another city when there is 75 real time hours of looting right here.

What about 100x2 Maps.. You can do gamemods or end missions with this.

You and your Friends needs to go through a wasteland full of danger "mad Max Style"..

This + the horde Mode adds Gameplay for those Who have little time to play.

That'd be perfect of course. Wasn't aware that existing structure management was an item outside of the quest system.

- - - Updated - - -

We'll eventually get some kind of poi reset function that restores pois that a server can turn on for your scenario.

Archived