Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Excuse me if the idea was bad, the intention was to contribute ideas, some of my ideas in the forums were actually transformed, I like the path of A18 and I hope that A19 will follow in its footsteps.

Its a great idea, but it's already been discussed about 50,000 times. Once I can confirm we are adding tier 3 rare firearms I'll ask for a list of cool weapons, and you gun nuts can kill each other over which one is best, until then it will just derail alpha 18 balance.

Yes, yes you should.

Yeah this is fun. Shall we make a pedal bike grinding wheel station the player rides that sharpens the sticks, to help make it less tedious? Sorry but bad clunky designs are being removed not added. Go play day z if you like hyper realism clunky designs and spend 12 hours trying to light a campfire. All we did was remove two stacks of metal that had a different icons.

Sarcasm is fun to make points some times :)

That is very nice, I wanted asphalt more than gravel. To fix the sand problem, could you make a cheaper recipe for weaker topsoil which has the same HP as sand and costs the same as harvesting one sand block?

Also, could you just give the rare ores one of the existing textures like gravel, to keep that 'oh yess' moment in? I always loved when I mined and suddenly found diamonds.

We're still fiddling with rare ore.

What sand problem?

How awesome would it be to have a Flare Gun in the game? Or a Flare ammunition for the shotguns? Am I the only one who thinks this would be great?

Is it possible to just do away with paint in its entirety, as far as loot goes, and simply build it into a radial menu for the Paint Brush? Maybe do something similar with clothing - i.e. under the cosmetic modifier slot, eliminate actual dyes and just have it pop open a color menu?

Anything is possible, but what we have time for and what is the best design is up for debate.

Yeah this is fun. Shall we make a pedal bike grinding wheel station the player rides that sharpens the sticks, to help make it less tedious? Sorry but bad clunky designs are being removed not added. Go play day z if you like hyper realism clunky designs and spend 12 hours trying to light a campfire. All we did was remove two stacks of metal that had a different icons.

Sarcasm is fun to make points some times :)

You're forgetting removing the scrapping penalty. That was the big difference between the chunks and scrap iron. The penalty lead to decisions like, "Do I keep this Iron Axe to melt down or scrap it here and lose a big chunk of the burn." All the while you hear a zombie getting closer and closer.

It made the player slightly uncomfortable which added a sense of conflict. It added decision making in looting/mining, especially on MP servers where you couldn't just chuck what you couldn't carry into a chest in the middle of the road. Now it's just another dumb watered down system. But, I guess anything that takes a precious second away from shooting and looting is "clunky" anymore.

(Also, that wasn't sarcasm, it was hyperbole. Good try though big guy. :) )

Madmole is it possible to add more realism in the game than removing it?

-lucky looter is the god perk of A18 . It somehow makes the player to magically find three times more exotic loot than before instead of reducing search times

-farming requiring rotten ,infected meat to make plant pots. How watering plants ,hoeing the land and having a simple irrigation system is less realistic than finding dozens if not hundreds of cans in abundance in a zombie world infected by zombies and ravaged by scavengers for decades?

-Why we actually need 5 crops to make a seed instead of 1? How we can magically gather multiple times more crops from leveling up instead of crafting more fertile land to get those extra crops? Rotten meat <<< fiber ,soil and water << soil,fertilizer,fiber,paper and water

-How it's realistic to not being able to craft mechanical parts and springs which are the basis of a lot of electrical components?

-Why we need to loot steel parts when we can craft iron tools and weapons just fine?

-Why you keep removing the fun of building ,crafting and farming from the game and keep focusing on stupid ♥♥♥♥ing looting?

-Why you can be both the crafter and the good yielder of the weapon? Why a blacksmith is supposed to be almost equal to a warrior? Why did you combine crafting an item and efficiently using an item in the same bloody perk?

-Why we can harvest human corpses in POI's but can't harvest zombie corpses?

-Why we can eat literal infected zombie meat but we're not becoming infected in the process?

In short, why you keep reducing realism in the game,breaking immersion,making the game a forced looting simulator and completely disregarding the building elements of the game?

We're still fiddling with rare ore.

What sand problem?

A few people here talked about topsoil taking the properties of that biome's terrain block. Sand, for example, got some big differences, like harvesting less clay soil and getting crushed sand and less HP. Because it gives less clay soil but the cost of topsoil is the same, you couldn't dig up some sand and then rebuild the same amount elsewhere.

Also, I noticed the brass items no longer mention that you can scrap them 'at a loss'. Might want to bring that back to the descriptions so the new players know about the choice of scrapping or smelting.

-Why you keep removing the fun of building ,crafting and farming from the game and keep focusing on stupid ♥♥♥♥ing looting?

-Why you can be both the crafter and the good yielder of the weapon? Why a blacksmith is supposed to be almost equal to a warrior? Why did you combine crafting an item and efficiently using an item in the same bloody perk?

If they tied the crafting quality to a perk that's not the weapon perk, that would mean that someone with a shotgun focus would need to, guess what... loot to find a good shotgun to use. That's even more focus on "stupid ♥♥♥♥ing looting"!

Realism shouldn't be a big factor in a zombie game. As for the other questions, the answer to most of them is "It was an arbitrary game design decision that will please some people and displease others". Looks like you're in the latter category.

You're forgetting removing the scrapping penalty. That was the big difference between the chunks and scrap iron. The penalty lead to decisions like, "Do I keep this Iron Axe to melt down or scrap it here and lose a big chunk of the burn." All the while you hear a zombie getting closer and closer.

It made the player slightly uncomfortable which added a sense of conflict. It added decision making in looting/mining, especially on MP servers where you couldn't just chuck what you couldn't carry into a chest in the middle of the road. Now it's just another dumb watered down system. But, I guess anything that takes a precious second away from shooting and looting is "clunky" anymore.

Precisely! Not that it will be appreciated but that's the fact. Yet another dilemma removed from the game in order to streamline it into a looter/shooter.

Scrapping penalty isn't removed... Hold up, is it actually removed??? Madmole recently wrote about it like it still existed in the game.

Been that way forever.

As a mad hoarder it does save inventory space, smelts faster, and we can use it right away. We've had raw iron in since A15 which isn't a big loss, if this small cut results in a leaner 7DTD that gives us more content through freeing up resources then who are we say otherwise - maybe adding in more PIOs between towns so that it isn't completely empty for a mile, or closing the distance to other towns, making 6K map the new default for performance reasons. There is certainly too many trees in the game, I'd cut back on the amount of plants in the wilderness again for performance reasons since they're everywhere.

I have a lot of respect for the direction of this game, sometimes it's like watching Bob Ross and saying he's ruined it, most of the time it turns out brilliantly and that was the reaction of A18. Encore une fois :victorious:

That might make miner 69'r more of a must have. It takes about 5000 concrete mix to do a 10x10 4 high and 2 deep reinforced. The main problem is a couple of POIS go overboard on it, but it could be nerfed some, more like 20-30% IMO. MP has to share the world too.

I figure better to reduce the yield than to edit the pois... as far as mp, let them mine and dig if they need more...lol!

is there a graphics setting to turn off the "dust" storms. smoke effect?? i look at the sky and i get 60fps i look at the ground and i get 60 fps i look at the building accross the street in a desert biome 7fps!! the only difference i see is that loking up or down i dont see the dust clouds passing slowly by gpu is at 50% usage 60 fps vsync on with no dust. as soon as the dust clouds start 100% gpu usage and 7 fps.

The dust is a particle effect. I looked at one and toggled it off/on and FPS was the same.

You would need to remove this line in biomes.xml to stop it from spawning, but I doubt it will do much.

<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_sandstorm" ChunkMargin="7"/>

Type "gfx af 0" in the console. If that makes a big difference, then your terrain textures are probably in system RAM, so texture filtering is running very slow. In that case try decreasing Texture Quality in Video settings.

Survived day 24 horde night. They broke in, and I couldn't plug the gap, and so I went through about a hundred rounds more .762 than I intended to. Eventually stemmed the tide and got some bars in place and I was able to fight the rest of them off.

Used sawn off, pump shotgun, pistol, ak47, molotovs (5 or so). No count on ammo apart from approx on .762 but that felt expensive.

I'd rather explore than mine so next horde night might be the end of me (on dead is dead).

Personally I see iron more of a basic resource like stone and wood, rather than a higher tier resource like nitrate or brass. Just mine it up and use it I say. The "scrapping" penalty was a true thing, sure. It was able to be totally ignored though and was an insignificant step. Scrapping iron never once effected my gameplay unlike things like infection or food poisoning. I'm infected now and can't for the life of me find antibotics in loot or rewards. Been fun though.

I don't think in 100s of hours of playing I ever scrapped iron ore to iron.

I figure better to reduce the yield than to edit the pois... as far as mp, let them mine and dig if they need more...lol!

no, better to edit and update poi's. they are doing that as it is, and with block changes and such over the years, it is best to check on em anyways. player made poi's from a16 to 17 needed updating and from 17 to 18, more changes went through. so I am sure some of the stock poi's need it too.

Archived