Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

MM I found a couple of typos in the "From the Shadows" perk. I also reported them in the bug reports section.

Typos in "From the Shadows" perk:

RANK 1 (Lurker) -----------> double point at the end of the paragraph (after "faster")

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30341[/ATTACH]

RANK 5 (Shadow Ninja) ---> Missing a "%" symbol after the first "50"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30340[/ATTACH]

This is only the tip of the iceberg, to be honest...

TFP really needs to hire a copy editor. There are many punctuation mistakes, spelling errors, wrong use of "its" vs. "it's", etc. The grammar Nazi in me gets angry every time I see them.

What's worse - I see Joel's posts here, and how he types, and I'm pretty sure most of them come from him. And he's the boss, so it's going to be harder to correct him.

(My boss at work is the same way, incidentally, so I speak a little bit from experience here.)

Don’t get your hopes up. I don’t think they expect anyone to get to level 300. I doubt very many people will make it to 200

I checked the XML. It’s currently at 2^32 which equals 4,294,967,296 XP needed to reach max lvl. 4.3 billion XP. And when your getting 450ish XP per Z kill (normal). It will literally forever to hit 300.

Not very many people liked it, felt like being kicked while you were down. It can be hard enough to get your gear back after death, but traveling there with gimped stamina, and weakened abilities makes it even worse, so we opted for loss of XP, which is can be nasty later game. I'd rather it be more than it is.

Make it so El Padrino

- - - Updated - - -

Just checking: I repped Laz for that funny gif. Did all the rest of you get some of that too? Because dammit you're here reading and lurking so why the heck not get some rep for his post too....?

I felt a disturbance in the force. Figured it had to be Roland liking something a forum member posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Na they would go home, put their stuff in a chest, eat glass and still get around infection.

Thats it. Let the hate flow through you Jedi!

- - - Updated - - -

It caused me to level. I bought a point of Charismatic Nature, so now I can buff the rest of you. The gift that keeps on giving. 🙂

Drinks a glass of raw eggs and grabs a towel

Oh you meant IN GAME buffs.... dammit.

Even a bicycle is a huge game changer. Pay the price 5K or less, or buy the perk and craft one. We can't drop full vehicles in loot. I mean if we did, we'd have to make it so rare, that why bother?

Could you add maybe a Trader Quest leading to a garage (or a factory) where the Trader knows there's a working vehicle?

That could be a new (sort of gated) way to get vehicles without just dropping them on the player from loot.

Maybe the level of the POI you're sent to can be related to the vehicle tier.

E.g.: a Garage could be for the Bicycle and the other tiers would be found in a Factory maybe.

I like to use Shotguns while looting cause I save my 7.26 for Horde Night. I don't really like the craft too much ammo and using each gun for different situations seems to be working so far. Auto Shotgun of some time should be added for High Tier or Legendary.

Well that's all good and well but if I'm gonna use my shells for looting to keep my 7.62 for horde nights (which I honestly should right now) there's really no point speccing into shotguns in the first place. The other huge issue with the double barrel is the constant reload that slows you down. When you're surrounded it's a death sentence while this should exactly be the situation in which the shotguns excels.

To be honest the whole concept of a 2 magazine gun should be rethinked because it doesn't fit a game play of killing masses. Or the mechanics need to be revisited so that it does massive splash damage so that a bullet equals several casualties. Right now it has no niche at all and is very unforgiving.

The other issue with the STR build is more global : he has absolutely no ranged specialization. Every other character has both melee and range power, the strength guy is a close quarter dude with no survivability. The more I think about it the more I think machine guns should be a STR specialization while shotguns should be for the tanky FORT build.

I'd like some hardcore death options.

ONe of my favorite mods is Skyrim's Death alternative. You die and instead of loading a save game there is a random scenario. You can be captured by bandits, left for dead and they took your stuff, if an animal beat you, a thief comes along and takes a bunch of your valuables and you can track him down later, etc.

What if you die again? ;)

Well that's all good and well but if I'm gonna use my shells for looting to keep my 7.62 for horde nights (which I honestly should right now) there's really no point speccing into shotguns in the first place. The other huge issue with the double barrel is the constant reload that slows you down. When you're surrounded it's a death sentence while this should exactly be the situation in which the shotguns excels.

That's fair enough and a personal preference for sure but I spec into shotguns not for horde night but to make POI's and random encounters in the wild easier. Shotgun is not the weapon I'd choose to a large number of enemies.

The decsion of what weapon to take is a personal choice and everyone will have their own reasons for choosing or not choosing them. They can not make them all equal in every situation cause honestly I'd find that boring.

After a bug or something tonight (out of blue one side of my living quarters decided to just cave, no rhyme or reason, just crumbled. Wasn't due to structural integrity and zeds aren't around to blame LOL. This sort of thing has happened in previous alphas but can't replicate (captured it:

)). But anyways, I reassembled base just in time for day 35 horde night.

Bumped settings up to difficulty: Survivalist, BlockDamageAIBM to 125%, with BloodMoonEnemyCount at 35. Demolishers decided to make their grand entrance this horde night -- need I say more.. ROFL

Favorite picture of the night:

jQXhE63.jpg

Full horde night video:

Aside from the recording not capturing "my" voice, thankfully, that was a blast! No pun intended -- ouchh is more like it. Definitely could have played a little more strategic and paid a bit more attention in alot of areas.. LOL, definitely not my finest moment. I didn't die so there's that. I feel the stack size for shotgun ammo is low, especially for the shotgun turrets, but thats my opinion. I did learn, after the fact, how to deal with that for the next bloodmoon. Havent played with turrets in A18 until this go around. So, live and learn. I couldn't seem to protect the electric posts (encasing them in steel didnt "seem" to help). The zeds, they are smarter than they have been in the past, that much was apparent tonight. It's all good, Day 42 horde will be my b****.

That's fair enough and a personal preference for sure but I spec into shotguns not for horde night but to make POI's and random encounters in the wild easier. Shotgun is not the weapon I'd choose to a large number of enemies.

The decsion of what weapon to take is a personal choice and everyone will have their own reasons for choosing or not choosing them. They can not make them all equal in every situation cause honestly I'd find that boring.

Yes but it doesn't really work that way. At some point the real struggle ARE the horde nights and as such you need a specialized weapon to face the horde. If I'm gonna resort to using my AK I might aswell just spec into FORT and thus machine guns. The odd dude in the wild is easily dispatched with a decent sledgehammer anyways. Let's also not forget the AK is better than the pump shotgun in pretty much every area : DPS (when you account for reload times), effective range, magazine size... We're talking a T2 being much better overall than a T3. And the T2 double barrel is just a terrible weapon overall.

I don't want all weapons to be equal in all situations, but when your 100% close quarter strength guy has both less survivability, less raw damage output, less effective range, less crowd control/area damage than his closest friend the tank machine-gunner, the discussion isn't really about making everything equal but balancing stuff out in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly the double barrel doesn't fit the game and should be replaced by the pump shotgun as a T2, and a brand new T3 shotgun should come into play. And give the shotguns some uniqueness, whether it is AOE damage with more damage/more spread, less movement penalty when reloading, anything really. In my book it only has drawbacks right now, expect for a lower skill floor.

Not very many people liked it, felt like being kicked while you were down. It can be hard enough to get your gear back after death, but traveling there with gimped stamina, and weakened abilities makes it even worse, so we opted for loss of XP, which is can be nasty later game. I'd rather it be more than it is.

A temporary delay on looting (i.e. the loot-timer takes 20% more time, sort of inverse Lucky Looter effect) would still get the "kicked while down" reaction but not weaken the player against dangers or make getting your gear back more difficult. No death loop.

XP loss could also be 60% of a level below lvl 10, 50% of a level below lvl 20... to address the non-nastyness early game.

Weapons drop equally but since there are loads of agility weapons they are rarer. There are two automatic weapons, 4 ranged agility weapons, so statistically you will have a harder time getting exactly what you want.

IMO the stealth guy may take longer to clear a POI, but he doesn't take damage, he can do a ton of damage with stealth shots using the cheapest ammo in the game so it balances out fine. My agility character always had loads of ammo for horde nights, where my fortitude builds seem to spend a ton of time mining for ammo. At night I would roam around and head shot everyone for xp with one shot usually from my maxed out pistol. Even if you wake someone up just empty a mag into them and its all good. 9mm ammo grows on trees and is SO cheap to craft. Exploding arrows are nice for hordes.

Some builds just take longer to get off the ground is all, but the payoff is worth it IMO.

Madmole, I am sorry but I have a feeling, that you did not really play AGI build from the beginning.

First off, killing at night is tricky, because night vision goggles are ridiculously rare. From what I saw in XML files, they only drop from loot bags and in several of my games, I simply did not see them drop. You talk about maxed out pistol, but now its pretty hard to get and you need suppresor to not wake up other zeds. In regards to ammo, with my str build I use next to none, because I melee 90% of zeds and in tight spot I use my shotgun. Sure I get hit a bit every now and then, but that is easy to heal and with heavy armor you take little damage. Also taken into account, AGI does not have any gathering perks, which quite hurts.

About AGI weapons being more rare... I get that there are more weapons but making them less prevalent increases cost of entry into the spec. I feel it should be balanced differently.

Side note, I get a loot of explosive arrows/bolts from trader (up to 75). Feels a bit too much.

I urge you to try and play stealth build in your next playthrough and test it. Is it fun?

After a bug or something tonight (out of blue one side of my living quarters decided to just cave, no rhyme or reason, just crumbled. Wasn't due to structural integrity and zeds aren't around to blame LOL. This sort of thing has happened in previous alphas but can't replicate (captured it:
)).

Have you been mining beneath your base, by any chance?

Edit: Watched your video. Another possibility is a chunk loading problem. I think we have seen that before.

Guest Piratenking

it happened to me in A17, i partially demolished a house and built my base there, the first floor was identical but the second floor was bigger than the original and it would simply start demolishing itself after a while,i came to the conclusion that the game refused to accept my design as it would forcefully try to load the old house, sometimes i would even see my base as the old house for few seconds when far away from it

Guest Piratenking
Yes but it doesn't really work that way. At some point the real struggle ARE the horde nights and as such you need a specialized weapon to face the horde. If I'm gonna resort to using my AK I might aswell just spec into FORT and thus machine guns. The odd dude in the wild is easily dispatched with a decent sledgehammer anyways. Let's also not forget the AK is better than the pump shotgun in pretty much every area : DPS (when you account for reload times), effective range, magazine size... We're talking a T2 being much better overall than a T3. And the T2 double barrel is just a terrible weapon overall.

I don't want all weapons to be equal in all situations, but when your 100% close quarter strength guy has both less survivability, less raw damage output, less effective range, less crowd control/area damage than his closest friend the tank machine-gunner, the discussion isn't really about making everything equal but balancing stuff out in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly the double barrel doesn't fit the game and should be replaced by the pump shotgun as a T2, and a brand new T3 shotgun should come into play. And give the shotguns some uniqueness, whether it is AOE damage with more damage/more spread, less movement penalty when reloading, anything really. In my book it only has drawbacks right now, expect for a lower skill floor.

yeah, shotguns feel inferior since forever, i used to have high hopes for them back when i was a newb (even perked into them) just to realise the cripple effect was like 1 second long lol

Not sure, but here is how I think SI works (and I could be wrong so please correct me if you know better). This is a side view of your base with one of the support pillars:

#    <-1
    #    <-2
    #    <-3
    #    <-4
    #    <-5
  S##     <-6,7      <- so 7 is the necessary SI your pillar needs to provide
  S
  S
  S      <- pillar providing SI
  S
--------------------  <-ground

My friends and I have decided to play version 17.4 again. Since in 18.0 the creative menue was partially destroyed. No structure has been assigned to the soil types so that they look the same except for 2 exceptions.

After 6 years = ♥♥♥♥, worst update

yeah, shotguns feel inferior since forever, i used to have high hopes for them back when i was a newb (even perked into them) just to realise the cripple effect was like 1 second long lol

The cripple effect is permanent.

Archived