Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Even a bicycle is a huge game changer. Pay the price 5K or less, or buy the perk and craft one. We can't drop full vehicles in loot. I mean if we did, we'd have to make it so rare, that why bother?

I like how it is now. Possible purchase at trader but at a high cost. Since the trader refreshes every 3 days, it forces the player to make some tough choices.

For example,

Do I spend the next 3 days making money to buy that one item?

Do I go mining/scavenging to prepare for my horde night?

The player needs to be put in more macro time management situations like these one which will add more depth into the game.

I like how it is now. Possible purchase at trader but at a high cost. Since the trader refreshes every 3 days, it forces the player to make some tough choices.

For example,

Do I spend the next 3 days making money to buy that one item?

Do I go mining/scavenging to prepare for my horde night?

The player needs to be put in more macro time management situations like these one which will add more depth into the game.

Not only that, but I really thought long and hard about buying that cement mixer on day 3. Do I break the bank on an early-game cement mixer, or do I save my money for something else down the road? (I chose the former, but still... Tough choice.)

Not very many people liked it, felt like being kicked while you were down. It can be hard enough to get your gear back after death, but traveling there with gimped stamina, and weakened abilities makes it even worse, so we opted for loss of XP, which is can be nasty later game. I'd rather it be more than it is.

So I was talking to one of the guys I know who prefers to just drop a bedroll where he is when something bad happens and offs himself and his way of thinking was "why be slowed down for an hour with a broken leg if I dont have a splint, when I can kill myself and make more experience in that time than im going to lose from dying being slowed down" And to be honest even though it feels cheesy, hes kinda right.

So what if you shifted the experience loss into a debuff rather than a flat amount? Lose 10% XP for x amount of minutes, with time possibly scaled on character level to some extent. Then there's some incentive even at kinda lower levels to have to think "Do I eat glass and lose xp gains while going these next few POI's or do I stop and go find the way to correct my issue and go back with full xp gains? What's going to cost me more in the long run?"

A18 isn't balanced around the traders. It's just 50 and 50 coming together to make 100. Each 50 (looting vs trading/questing) are as powerful as each other and are more than enough on their own..

Yeah, umm.. that traders are offering fetch quests (for example) that not only give you the loot as you are 'looting' but also give you bonus rewards once you return with the satchel. So what you say is not actually true.

Oh, and that triggering the quest actually resets the POI, so you can run it as you arrive (without triggering the quest marker) Then once you finish it, you then trigger the quest whilst the layout is fresh in your mind and completely clear it in a third of the time.

So yes, traders/quests are a little broken atm, its a nice idea, but they need to be implemented a little better. (ie: perhaps make it so that they don't refresh the POI, and if you have already cleared it prior (due to a random house looting), then it remains cleared, loot and zeds. The most important part about this though is that the trader should never offer the same POI twice, if a satchel has been retrieved, then no more quests for that location)

(and this is not even taking into consideration the mind numbingly easy 'buried stash' quests and their bloated rewards)

Yeah, umm.. that traders are offering fetch quests (for example) that not only give you the loot as you are 'looting' but also give you bonus rewards once you return with the satchel. So what you say is not actually true.

Oh, and that triggering the quest actually resets the POI, so you can run it as you arrive (without triggering the quest marker) Then once you finish it, you then trigger the quest whilst the layout is fresh in your mind and completely clear it in a third of the time.

So yes, traders/quests are a little broken atm, its a nice idea, but they need to be implemented a little better. (ie: perhaps make it so that they don't refresh the POI, and if you have already cleared it prior (due to a random house looting), then it remains cleared, loot and zeds. The most important part about this though is that the trader should never offer the same POI twice, if a satchel has been retrieved, then no more quests for that location)

(and this is not even taking into consideration the mind numbingly easy 'buried stash' quests and their bloated rewards)

Yeah, but what I was saying is that if you did a "no trader run", you wouldn't necessarily be on your knees. It would be tougher, yes, but for most alphas we didn't even have traders, and now we have more loot than ever before.

So I was talking to one of the guys I know who prefers to just drop a bedroll where he is when something bad happens and offs himself and his way of thinking was "why be slowed down for an hour with a broken leg if I dont have a splint, when I can kill myself and make more experience in that time than im going to lose from dying being slowed down" And to be honest even though it feels cheesy, hes kinda right.

So what if you shifted the experience loss into a debuff rather than a flat amount? Lose 10% XP for x amount of minutes, with time possibly scaled on character level to some extent. Then there's some incentive even at kinda lower levels to have to think "Do I eat glass and lose xp gains while going these next few POI's or do I stop and go find the way to correct my issue and go back with full xp gains? What's going to cost me more in the long run?"

hehe, nice, I like it !

Why stop there though, perhaps force a varied length of time of 'extreme drunk vision' based on a level incremented scale, make reloading take double the time, and crafting at half quality, perhaps even traders can charge you double the price and buy things at half the usual cost, as they snicker at your misfortune.

Actually, I'd just love it if a proper 'dead is dead' mode was put in. Savegame instantly shredded, rudely and forcibly thrust back into the main menu etc...

MM I found a couple of typos in the "From the Shadows" perk. I also reported them in the bug reports section.

Typos in "From the Shadows" perk:

RANK 1 (Lurker) -----------> double point at the end of the paragraph (after "faster")

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30341[/ATTACH]

RANK 5 (Shadow Ninja) ---> Missing a "%" symbol after the first "50"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30340[/ATTACH]

20191101214546_1.thumb.jpg.f304aa631400f226f3ce9da5c49e75a9.jpg

20191101214534_1.thumb.jpg.d9ae4ba9f75e1236a0c9b0e4012731b9.jpg

hehe, nice, I like it !

Why stop there though, perhaps force a varied length of time of 'extreme drunk vision' based on a level incremented scale, make reloading take double the time, and crafting at half quality, perhaps even traders can charge you double the price and buy things at half the usual cost, as they snicker at your misfortune.

Actually, I'd just love it if a proper 'dead is dead' mode was put in. Savegame instantly shredded, rudely and forcibly thrust back into the main menu etc...

Stop there because the goal of them changing from dying screwing with your skills was that it made it harder to actually go out and do things and just kinda felt ♥♥♥♥ty to lose access to perks and such, so you dont want to lose too much playability when you die, which is why they shifted to just xp losses to begin :D

Stop there because the goal of them changing from dying screwing with your skills was that it made it harder to actually go out and do things and just kinda felt ♥♥♥♥ty to lose access to perks and such, so you dont want to lose too much playability when you die, which is why they shifted to just xp losses to begin :D

The pimps just need to do alittle more balancing. If it's still an easy choice to eat glass, increase the XP penalty until it's enough to make the decision to eat glass difficult. 😂

Yeah, but what I was saying is that if you did a "no trader run", you wouldn't necessarily be on your knees. It would be tougher, yes, but for most alphas we didn't even have traders, and now we have more loot than ever before.

I actually ran a fair few games as no crafting whatsoever, and they were VERY interesting playthroughs. I relied very strongly on the traders, and the struggle was real in the beginning, but once the loot started rolling in, I sadly once again became a loot overlord.

I skilled up in trader skills early and found that it just became obscene in the gear I was being offered (during both the quests and the rewards).

It felt really nice to literally worship every single bullet I found in the beginning though, and to only use the gun when I had no other option (it reminded me of the movie 'The Survivalist', look it up, damn fine movie if you haven't seen it).

Ammo became plentiful for day to day usage, but horde night I would cringe in a corner of a POI I could only reinforce by cutting out staircases or bolster with found frames etc. I would do this to conserve ammo, as its not difficult to peel through a thousand rounds if you are in a good position. Concrete buildings became something I would mark on my map for instances such as this, and I would update the map as they were rendered useless.

My current A18 game I really only craft ammunition, everything else is looted, I think now that stable has dropped, its time to restart and drop my loot level back down for a more punishing experience.

Is it intentional that screamer shows up if we use augar only to destory 15-18 blocks, I think that is too fast for screamer, making augar worthless, as the time we spend fighting screamer is more than time we spend using pickaxe [i can use steel in my case],

Fixed today:

Fixed auger (ranged looping items) playing the start sound repeatedly, which makes lots of heat.

Fixed playing a sound on an entity made heat at wrong position if origin not 0.

The pimps just need to do a little more balancing. If it's still an easy choice to eat glass, increase the XP penalty until it's enough to make the decision to eat glass difficult. 😂

Flat XP just scales poorly. You're most at risk of poor planning and not having food/water/meds at the early game, when its easiest to just jump off a building and come back at 100% and carry on with the smallest losses to xp that can be recovered after a few kills. Later game you're less likely needing to abuse death to clear bad things. Its more that random landmine you rode your bike over :crushed: or that demo guy you accidently set off

We're planning load screen tips, but the design isn't that knives are harder than clubs, I feel its very subjective.

Maybe it's been mention but compressing the loading images (lossy format) to save a few MB's doesn't look too good as the text is harder to read in A18. Could you revisit this and look to improve legibility of text on load screen tips?

Even a bicycle is a huge game changer.

Yes indeed, it absolutely is !!

Just yesterday I discussed it with my friend during playing, when we finally were able to craft them.

Suddenly you are not limited to the first place/town you explored, you go further. Trader quests become

more attractive.

Last but not least: No encumbrance heading for home, and extra cargo slots. Heaven in apocalypse.

Yeah he went into my basement about 3 hours ago.. haven't heard anything since. Should I worry?

Hmm.

- - - Updated - - -

Roland's been down in his basement for 3 weeks, and I believe took he 50 bottles of alcohol with him. I'm somewhat concerned. Maybe I should go check on him...

Nevermind, he just left the house. He's on his way to the liquor store.

Fix your eyes boys. Wasn`t him.

*Flying away from the basement with all the treats, encumbered*

Yes indeed, it absolutely is !!

Just yesterday I discussed it with my friend during playing, when we finally were able to craft them.

Suddenly you are not limited to the first place/town you explored, you go further. Trader quests become

more attractive.

Last but not least: No encumbrance heading for home, and extra cargo slots. Heaven in apocalypse.

I would say in ways it is even better, you are not tied down to make fuel in any way whatsoever... although, that storage space in the jeep... man it's nice !

Archived