Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I thought the same thing and realized I kept trying to find the mod slot while I was wearing the clothing. It doesn't show up. Be sure that the clothing you are trying to put a mod in is not being worn. Hopefully this is your issue and not a bug....

20191015005750-1.jpg20191015005757-1.jpg

would it be difficult to code it to let us change mods out on armor when its on? big PITA :)

So god damn tired of having ferals spawning next to me on night 1 and 2 lol.

Then you have ninja feral wolves and mountain lions spawning during tier 1 and 2 fetch quests on day 2 and 3...

POS feral infects me hitting me from 4 blocks above them on my mini base on night 1...

I rarely see them and I run around at night all the time. I will just out run them but I don't wear armor and buy one rank of cardio, and never let me stamina drop below 50 so I can sprint to get distance, crouch and then sneak away because all they will go to where I was not where I am. Then I can just creep off or throw a rock to get them out of my way.

I rarely see them and I run around at night all the time. I will just out run them but I don't wear armor and buy one rank of cardio, and never let me stamina drop below 50 so I can sprint to get distance, crouch and then sneak away because all they will go to where I was not where I am. Then I can just creep off or throw a rock to get them out of my way.

maybe your settings are insane and not nomad?

ROFL?...

I had a conversation with unholyjoe a couple days ago about this very idea. He was very supportive. I've already got a couple plus pages going (meaning I stopped playing for about 4 or 5 hours to research things), need to 'dress it up' a little. I started it to cover FoodGate and the death 'penalty, and some game design vs reality/immersion topics, and added an intro for general guidance and links for things like Dev Diary, Bug Reports, Performance, Mods, etc. (It's definitely an effort to try and elaborate but keep brief.)

I have been waffeling on it because it seems like a lot of people would just post here anyways, and because it seem like some only want an answer from a dev. Could take some effort to maintain (and I didn't want to waste the effort as I would rather be playing...), but I always try to stay up on the forum anyways.

I am going to take your statement as kind of an approval and give it a shot.

Just need to figure out where to start it... (Sylen Thunder has an Information and Common Solutions in General Support, but General Discussions seems like it might be a better fit so I'll put it there.)

Thanks.

Quantum Blue

It could be a collection of quotes from me etc. Like what happened to ___ or why is this not ___. Then when someone asks one of these super faq's we point them to the faq or insist they read it before posting questions, etc.

Yeah there was one in the pipeline (for I think A17) I was giddy with excitement in anticipation of it.

Sadly never saw it eventuate.

Yesterday I asked MM what happened to it, he said something to the effect of they aren't wasting resources implementing something to save us 2 mouseclicks (which is actually loads more than 2 clicks when you consider the savegame deletion, not to mention the abysmal wait time as you go through the respawn cutscene, rubbing your eyes etc..)

I'm cool with that I guess, as there are loads of other things I would prefer to see them spend time on, but it would be great to have, and I will continue to hold (some small) hope for it in the future.

It holds the most value in a MP game, probably pvp. Unbalanced as hell and I like it kind of thing. Get on top and stay on top, one death and you lose your perks, xp, land claim goes offline, etc.

So I do have a ton of positives and some negatives I would like to share with my experience so far with the newest version (A18) after playing the dreaded A17 and here's my pro's and con's:

Pro's (Long list)

The new UI is a lot better

The new graphics are highly welcome. Since seeing the old ones since A16 (which is when I started playing) it's nice to have that updated.

A forge can be crafted with the first perk of Advanced Engineering.

Quests by the trader (depending on who you go to) are much easier and the XP is worth it.

Quest rewards are even better!

Skill books are back and I'm loving it!

You can learn recipes instead of needing to level up to know it. I can craft a motorcycle since I have learned both the recipes for it and didn't need to upgrade my grease monkey to do it.

XP is easier to get.

New weapons! Baseball bat, M60 and double barrel shotgun! Groovy!

You no longer have to get your stuff when you die. Best. Fix. Ever.

You don't downgrade on level when you die repeatedly. Instead, XP is negated and you need to make up the lost amount.

Stun Baton's. I still haven't used one yet but I know someone will.

New Ammo! Armor piercing rounds, hollow points, etc.

These are all I can think of with the pro's atm. So here's my cons...

Con's

Daytime running zombies. I reported this as a possible bug since it could be one but I've encountered running zombies after the sun came up.

A crucible can be obtained at level 5 of Advanced Engineering (which needs level 10 intellect). I think we can all agree that one may be a little too much but then again you can get the schematic instead of going through the hassle.

Anvil's require a blueprint. Why? It was craftable in A17 without one... (I know it speeds up crafting)

Garden Hoe's are gone. This is my biggest complaint for this entire new build. I don't want to have to craft a damn farm plot to grow a plant. I want to do it the old fashioned way by putting it in the ground like normal with some fertilizer. Please fix this.

Crafting ammo on workbench. Now I will say that the 9mm and 7.62 rounds are fine there but I think shotgun shells should be hand craftable like the blunderbuss ammo.

Certain rocks give certain things. I can understand the reason as to why but I feel that this should've been better. I wouldn't have minded if the old rocks that kept multiple items (like coal, nitrate and iron) were still in the game but so far I don't see them.

Using stamina to aim. Now if it was a sniper rifle, that's fine. But it should be if you're holding the right mouse button down to hold you're breath, not just to simply aim the gun.

The double barrel shotgun and crossbow is a mess. The reload cycles on both weapons take forever to finish and they are more inaccurate than the other guns I have.

Pump action shotguns are schematic only. I looked through the Shotgun Messiah perk and found nothing on crafting it when you level it up. I'd suggest having it at level 4 in my honest opinion.

Repair kits are everything. Now I know repair kits are usual for repairing guns in the earlier builds, that's standard. But needing them to repair everything is such a chore. Please fix this.

My general consensus: The Alpha 18 update is a MAJOR improvement over the previous build, but there are some things wrong with it that need to be fixed, namely the absence of the garden hoe and needing repair kits for everything.

Personally I like the new repair kits, it's great to be able to repair most everything with one item rather than needing to have several items on you to repair at a given time.

@MM

This post may be a little long but its critical. I posted a few days ago about a potential bug when looting certain loot containers. The issue; when you loot a wall safe, a gun safe, reinforced chest, and hardened reinforced chest, you only get T1 gear (Guns, armor, tools, or anything with a Tier value) regardless of what your Lucky Looter or loot bonus is. I did some testing last night and I have been able to localize it and repeat it with predictability.

When I am in a party with friends the bug happens. we are both within a lvl or two and GS is at 160ish for each of us. My friend has Max LL and has Lucky Googles equipped as well. I on the other hand have 0 points into LL and I am using Nerdy Glasses. I got on like 3 hours before my friend did and was out looting when I noticed I was getting various tier lvls of gear from the aforementioned loot containers. When my friend finally logged in we partied up and immediately I started only getting T1 loot from those specific loot containers only(as well as he did). 100% of the time we were looting those specific loot containers while in a party we only got T1 gear. So i would clear a POI drop party and loot and get varied tier quality items. I would rejoin the party and loot a new POI while in that party and sure enough, BOOM T1 loot.

In Conclusion when in a party you only get T1 loot from wall safes, a gun safes, reinforced chests, and hardened reinforced chests. I have tested it. I am at work today when I get home I will make a video showcasing the bug and will post a link to it here. Possible issue may be the LL bonus while in party is disabled? idk?

Awesome to hear. I think its close to perfect solo, and there are some bugs and or serious issues with MP xp and loot game staging we're addressing that caused guppy to feel underwhelmed with it.

Yeah it is really close to perfect for solo. Just did my day 28 horde last evening, actually about the same results as Auger had haha, cept I used more grenades. Man those grenades and moloys are great fun - love the effects of the nades especially.

I'm wondering about steel tools requiring steel tool parts, though. I was lucky enough to find a steel fireaxe like on day 8 or so, but I've been stuck with the iron fireaxe ever since. I found the crucible schematic, crafted steel and then noticed I had to go find steel tools to scrap to get the parts to craft the pickaxe lol. I kinda get it, but at the same time it kinda defeats the purpose maybe. Granted, I did find another steel fireaxe to scrap to get the last few parts I need, and really the iron pick was good... idk, perhaps I'm being nit-picky.

I do love all of those recipes and schematics, especially the books though. Although the weapon crafting ones idk, kinda seems like by time you can read one that you're not perked into crafting a level 1 of that gun is rather pointless, both to use and to sell. Perhaps in some way - by reading one - you can have a chance at learning the next tier of level to craft? Not the perk, just the ability to craft a higher level.

Yes! Haha this saved my butt last night actually. I was wrenching fleets of cars in (gravestone city? the big city in the wasteland biome) and ith it nighttime. A buzzard was pissing me off so I got off my motorcycle to take care of it when I heard some ferals and it was so dark I didn't notice a zombie bear. Took off sprinting and hit in a cubby of a busted up building. Worked, although the zombie bear was camping next to my bike, so had to pick it off with the hunting rifle and smg. But the wandering horde buggered off far enough. Love that.

Had fun on our first horde with some friends. We made a nice little kill room by converting the bunker [ATTACH=CONFIG]29771[/ATTACH]

can you please use appropriate bug form when reporting this... we can not have people enjoying themselves. :)

and i am kidding here

glad to see people are enjoying the game again :)

I know we arent supposed to face ferals right as we start in the world but what about spiders?

just generated a world, started playing and the first zombie I find on the road is that

Spiders only spawn at night. Maybe you joined a server that was running already?

oh no, I hate this change. :(

a player should be able to pick up his own farm blocks.

common usage:

- make a roof garden, later add a new floor to the tower and move the farm blocks to the new roof.

- moving farm blocks that are used as decoration outside is common while expending.

they cost too much to be salvaged for few materials, having to make them again will be a huge pain.

please reconsider this, there got to be a way to prevent players from harvesting farm plots in the world, and still allow them to pick up their self-made ones.

We'd have to link the recipe to a new block that can be shoveled so the POI ones cannot be shoveled. You can't pick up your concrete, and its arguably kind of expensive to make.

Archived