Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

You are assuming people craft everything or something. Everyone loots 99% of their gear now. You don't need the mining bonuses but can get 3 ranks pretty cheap. Even then none of its needed, a good looter/quester can buy all the materials he needs from a trader. Open your mind up a bit, not everyone thinks or plays like you do.

Its not 14 tools its 3. Shovels, Picks and axes. Nail guns have no quality and don't count.

I could stick chainsaws and augers under int somewhere, or make them so awesome you don't need any perks at all nor perks influence them, but I feel like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Strength is not needed.

Maybe I am... tools are tools. Just being passionate.

On another topic,

Don't get me started on mountains lol.You guys managed to improve indoors performance by a LOT in this alpha (sometimes up to 30%).

But Mountains... they eat fps like crazy on lower rigs. I'm talking 30-90% fps drop .

Maybe expand the Occluder video options so it only works inside buildings? The Occluder checks outdoors are killing potato rigs. That's a bit of work but it will help to get outside performance back and better.

Also, the game is currently rendering terrain textures that are not visible to the player. Just go to god mode and go below the terrain.

Texture streaming helps a solid 10-15% outdoors (tested) so as soon as the occluder thing gets tweaked the game will run better everywhere.

On another topic,

Don't get me started on mountains lol.You guys managed to improve indoors performance by a LOT in this alpha (sometimes up to 30%).

But Mountains... they eat fps like crazy on lower rigs. I'm talking 30-90% fps drop .

Maybe expand the Occluder video options so it only works inside buildings? The Occluder checks outdoors are killing potato rigs. That's a bit of work but it will help to get outside performance back and better.

Also, the game is currently rendering terrain textures that are not visible to the player. Just go to god mode and go below the terrain.

Texture streaming helps a solid 10-15% outdoors (tested) so as soon as the occluder thing gets tweaked the game will run better everywhere.

Blake don't be 5-Star General Obvious....

....or have you not read any of the posts the last two days and all the back and forth discussions with faatal? :p

I may be late to the party on this but I'm disappointed you need a repair kit to melee tools and weapons.

I thought that too at first, however, the repair kits are relatively cheap to make now so it means any tools or weapons you find are reusable even early in the game. It now makes perfect sense to me.

on the bright side i have now learnt that spears fly really far. Was going to shoot a zombie, it juked and i just watched my spear traverse the roof and fly beyond thw edge never to be seen again...

And that is exactly why spears can not be thrown as far as a "realistic" spear.

You would lose so many...

Not at all. Just stating that the game has to be tested fully on minimum spec hardware and that can be done behind closed doors by the QA team slowly or it can be done naturally in an experimental build where many people with rigs at or below minimum will play and report. No insult to your identity intended.

Roland, all due respect, but i don't have minimum specs on my pc. I don't think that most people here have that.

Blake don't be 5-Star General Obvious....

....or have you not read any of the posts the last two days and all the back and forth discussions with faatal? :p

What do you think? -runs back to a18-

Edit: of course I read it. I just re read it. I talked about mountains and occluder. Faatal just about snow and a coworker that has "low specs" I wonder if he was insulting said coworker? :p

All you NVIDIA Card owners having FPS issues, if you haven't tried this already go download the following driver (if applies to your card) ASAP. Massive performance gains. I am now able to play at 1920x1080 resolution on medium settings with 20 to 30 FPS on my 5 year 2GB video card (EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+). Happy Days! I plan to do some tweaking to see if I can get my FPS even higher. :)

aRghsnz.png

Additional Screenshots below (PREGEN02):

https://imgur.com/a/mCB7LW9

Yeah i noticed Vulkan giving an FPS boost of about 10-15 FPS for me (Which is actually expected since i'm running AMD hardware).

Unfortunately Vulkan isn't properly supported yet in this game and is causing some crashes for me.

I get crashes in Vulkan too. Only fix I see is updating to a major new version of Unity, which we won't do until A18 is stable or A19.

I'm getting terrible performance for some reason. It was fine in A17, but no matter what settings I try now it is really laggy and almost unplayable.

Someone mentioned turning off occlusion earlier in the thread, but it's greyed out for me on all presets and custom.

Specs are AMD 2600, 16gb ram, 1070ti and the games on an ssd. I'm on a 1440p monitor, but even setting the res to 1080p is not much better.

Also followed the instal instructions and cleaned all files and validated before playing.

The occlusion tooltip says it can only be changed at the main menu.

All you NVIDIA Card owners having FPS issues, if you haven't tried this already go download the following driver (if applies to your card) ASAP. Massive performance gains. I am now able to play at 1920x1080 resolution on medium settings with 20 to 30 FPS on my 5 year 2GB video card (EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+). Happy Days! I plan to do some tweaking to see if I can get my FPS even higher. :)

aRghsnz.png

The first thing I did was update the video card driver. This did not solve the problem. I'm going to try setting up "gfx dt" and "mem" today.

I am not sure about the early game fist weapon. I was using it and it takes so many punches and wears out so fast that I was out of leather in no time and throwing spears again lel.

Ya, the leather wraps wear out way to fast. Still the best melee weapon for me though (fist weapons).

<snip>

Strange, I just continued my save game (PREGEN01) and my FPS drops back down into the single digits. When checking my system resources I see that my 12GB of system ram is maxing out. I will try playing PREGEN02 to see if my performance consistently stays good or whether it eventually drops to what I am seeing in PREGEN01. Perhaps I need to buy more system RAM as a workaround :p

EDIT: Thinking out loud, is it possible there is something unique to PREGEN01 that would cause it to run worse then PREGEN02?

Wow, a lot of negative posts about A18. I have had no issues at all. FPS have been high and stable on high settings. No bugs or glitches, my day 7 horde (set at 16) lasted most of the night and there were a ton of z's. Mods and skill books are great. Junk turrets are helpful. Stun baton is disappointing because of it's range, but punching a Z in the face with spiked knuckles usually gets me hit, but it's very satisfying.

The RWG is so much better than in A17, seems to be very random. I built outside of a large city, however the closest trader is 1.6km away, so I haven't been using him. But this is survival, I don't expect to have everything easy and convenient. Only one death so far because I was walking backwards shooting and walked over a landmine.

This is the most fun I've had in 7d2d in a couple years.

As far as my specs go, i7-8700k, 1080ti, 16 gigs of ram. Graphics are cranked up and not even a stutter.

Bizarre changes in performance today...

So earlier today I had a game that just totally bogged down performance wise.

I've had the poor framerate issues, so have been using the gfx dt toggle to get things flowing, but my other issue of very poor performance within inventory / cookpot stations was hyper bad initially.

I got so stuck in a screen, trying to move some gear, but the destination slot wouldn't highlight or allow me to place the objects. Framerates were fine during this, but the mouse and all the UI was totally bogged down.

Even pressing escape to get to the Exit option, it wouldn't act on my selecting Exit.

Eventually I issued the mem command, and this seemed to free up enough resources to allow me to exit the game.

So, since returning to the game, it has all been flowing fine... for many hours of play, going far better than yesterday, and insanely better than this morning (still the same game, and no updates or changes have been made). I just don't fathom how the same game can change so much from one instance to the next.

Maybe I am... tools are tools. Just being passionate.

On another topic,

Your analysis is off. Indoor performance is better because of occlusion period.

Mountains are Unity terrain and Micro Splat shaders, which are both new to A18. Terrain also has new high res textures in texture arrays (also new). There is no indoors or outdoors. It is just voxels under, around, above you or some combination.

The game has always rendered terrain that is not visible to the player.

I've been profiling the last 2 days and the occlusion system has never shown up as using a lot of resources.

Archived