Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm getting terrible performance for some reason. It was fine in A17, but no matter what settings I try now it is really laggy and almost unplayable.

Someone mentioned turning off occlusion earlier in the thread, but it's greyed out for me on all presets and custom.

Specs are AMD 2600, 16gb ram, 1070ti and the games on an ssd. I'm on a 1440p monitor, but even setting the res to 1080p is not much better.

Also followed the instal instructions and cleaned all files and validated before playing.

Welcome to the party. Unfortunately you're not alone. In the meantime, you could try playing in windowed mode, and making sure your desktop resolution matches the game's... All bandaids though.

I'm getting terrible performance for some reason. It was fine in A17, but no matter what settings I try now it is really laggy and almost unplayable.

Someone mentioned turning off occlusion earlier in the thread, but it's greyed out for me on all presets and custom.

Specs are AMD 2600, 16gb ram, 1070ti and the games on an ssd. I'm on a 1440p monitor, but even setting the res to 1080p is not much better.

Also followed the instal instructions and cleaned all files and validated before playing.

That’s peculiar. I have an i7-4790k, 1070, 32 Gb RAM, and a SSD and I’m getting 70-100 FPS at 1080p on high settings with SSAO turned off. If you haven’t tried it yet, turn off vsync and see if that helps.

I had a weird problem, finally solved it and decided to post it here if anyone has a similar problem. When trying to open a generator bank or a battery bank I get a red error and no longer could open any container until game restart. Another Russian player had the same problem. Also I could not put any modification in clothes (armor was fine). The solution is funny: I needed to switch Windows interface language to English. Crazy!

All you are promoting is for TFP to go back to not doing experimentals. Experimental builds are a relatively new thing and before TFP pulled the trigger on it one of their worries was exactly what you are describing. If TFP can't even get a grace period of a few days to configure performance for the suddenly massive number of configurations that are suddenly playing then I can tell you that their response is likely to be to take away the experimental build model rather than somehow "prepare better" next time.

Preparing better would be testing different configs behind closed doors for a few months to keep the poor results private instead of letting the community who chooses to opt in try it on their potatoes and report.

Now if your response is, "I don't mind waiting for a good launch and a good version if it means they have good performance from day 1" then by all means opt out and wait until 18.2 to be your own day 1 and you will have experienced your much better launch.

+1

Can't whine about a build that is specifically noted as being unstable. I, for one, am more than happy to take the problems so I get an early peek at the next build.

Maybe, its not a bug to have information. Most people look at the first perk to see what it does in general and if no mention of crafting quality then they might be confused as to where they will begin to craft better things.

My suggestion is to call the spear we can craft at start “Primitive Spear”. Make it somehow worse than the first tier wooden spear we have to perk into in order to craft. Then it will be like the bows.

i just watched my spear traverse the roof and fly beyond thw edge never to be seen again... how long do they stay in the ground before disappearing btw?

LOL! Would be funny for another player to come by days later and get a free spear.

I had a weird problem, finally solved it and decided to post it here if anyone has a similar problem. When trying to open a generator bank or a battery bank I get a red error and no longer could open any container until game restart. Another Russian player had the same problem. Also I could not put any modification in clothes (armor was fine). The solution is funny: I needed to switch Windows interface language to English. Crazy!

I would blame Gazz. (I don’t know that the German is the one to blame, but that’s who I would blame.)

+1

Can't whine about a build that is specifically noted as being unstable. I, for one, am more than happy to take the problems so I get an early peek at the next build.

One can reasonably wonder why such game-killing bugs got this far into development though. :miserable:

> Implying that the failures were the result of us having "potatoes"? Nice.

Not at all. Just stating that the game has to be tested fully on minimum spec hardware and that can be done behind closed doors by the QA team slowly or it can be done naturally in an experimental build where many people with rigs at or below minimum will play and report. No insult to your identity intended.

One can reasonably wonder why such game-killing bugs got this far into development though. :miserable:

This is my point entirely, which is why i mentioned you need a more diverse internal tester group.

Obviously you can't catch all the hardware variations in the world, but if you look at the reports, the issues is across all hardware, basically.

More importantly, the issues is widespread on higher end hardware like RTX2000 series, and last gen cards like 1080GTX, Radeon VII's, Radeon RX580's, RX480's.

It's so widespread that it raises eyebrows for me with regards to internal testing procedure.

Take that however you will, it's not intended as a 'whine' though, nor a complaint or insult.

Not at all. Just stating that the game has to be tested fully on minimum spec hardware and that can be done behind closed doors by the QA team slowly or it can be done naturally in an experimental build where many people with rigs at or below minimum will play and report. No insult to your identity intended.

But in this case, the problem wasn't "potato" equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my point entirely, which is why i mentioned you need a more diverse internal tester group.

Obviously you can't catch all the hardware variations in the world, but if you look at the reports, the issues is across all hardware, basically.

More importantly, the issues is widespread on higher end hardware like RTX2000 series, and last gen cards like 1080GTX, Radeon VII's, Radeon RX580's, RX480's.

It's so widespread that it raises eyebrows for me with regards to internal testing procedure.

That take however you will, it's not intended as a 'whine'.

This. This times a million.

- - - Updated - - -

Since Roland's advice was to wait for A17.2, how does that waiting change the potatoe of that player?

What? Why are we talking about A17.2? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean.

Have you noticed that almost identical pieces of hardware seem to differ by a mile? Someone reported having 10FPS with an AMD R5 2600 and a RX480. I have an AMD r5 2600X and a RX580 and have 90 FPS. I also heard someone with an RX580 having low FPS (if you think the 480 to 580 upgrade would solve the problem). So on which hardware do you put the blame for that bug?

What if the tester with an RX580 has no problem just like me? What if the bug is really some small change that was added to the game just a week earlier? What if the bug depends on the c++/mono version on your computer and all testers use the same version?

Have you noticed that almost identical pieces of hardware seem to differ by a mile? Someone reported having 10FPS with an AMD R5 2600 and a RX480. I have an AMD r5 2600X and a RX580 and have 90 FPS. I also heard someone with an RX580 having low FPS (if you think the 480 to 580 upgrade would solve the problem). So on which hardware do you put the blame for that bug?

What if a tester with an RX580 has no problem just like me? What if the bug is really some small change that was added to the game just a week earlier? What if the bug depends on the c++/mono version on your computer?

This is where technology research comes in. Keeping up to date with the tech that you're using and issues with it is key to efficient software development. Also, choosing to go with an unknown is also a possible gamble. Guess we will see what the culprit is, hopefully sooner rather than later.

What if the tester with an RX580 has no problem just like me? What if the bug is really some small change that was added to the game just a week earlier? What if the bug depends on the c++/mono version on your computer and all testers use the same version?

That the issue cannot be tied to any specific hardware is pretty clear by now. So i wouldn't blame any hardware. :)

I think it's very likely that it's some stupid little thing that at first sight should have no impact whatsoever. That's software development for ya. :)

Take that however you will, it's not intended as a 'whine' though, nor a complaint or insult.

I have an easy guess....all the devs and testers have kick ass video cards with tons of vram. 😁

- - - Updated - - -

But in this case, the problem wasn't "potato" equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

This. This times a million.

- - - Updated - - -

What? Why are we talking about A17.2? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean.

Probably meant 18.2. 😁

Archived