Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I have an idea for the stun baton that might make it more interesting. Instead of whacking a zombie a few times to charge it up, what if you charged it up by holding down the power swing button? The longer you charged it up the longer it stays activated. Stamina would drain as you charged it up.

Faatal. dude I'm so loving the limbs exploding off animals. that has saved my ass a few times against wolf's and dogs. I will say the fortitude build is insane and using fists and watching all those heads or limbs explode has me feeling like I'm in fist of the north star lol.

LOL I loved that movie! So cheesy even back then, but so awesome.

uhm, wait a minute. to upgrade a hatch to a scrap hatch, you need to use a scrap hatch? that makes no sense. why bother? just make the scrap hatch.

- - - Updated - - -

You honestly like the completely flat and square cities? Try to see if you can find height differences within one city.

havent found a big city yet, mostly small communities and some sets of 3 pois in the hills. havent left the desert yet.

@MM, Hello.

I think you need to correct the description of the perk Javelin Master - 1. Sharp Sticks.

It says here that we can create spears of the first level and open the recipe for an iron spear, if I understand correctly.

But from the start we know how to create spears of the first quality.

Therefore, here you need to remove the mention of the possibility of creating copies of the first quality.

022.jpg

Apparently if you leave a server with your junk turret placed, it's not yours anymore. A friend is getting shot by mine and when I rejoin I can't pick it up either. We're also allies within the game so it shouldn't shoot him.

Thats better pranking than leaving a turd in a loot box!

With all due respect, i don't know whether it's such an improvement. Yes, the areas outside the cities look nice enough. The cities themselves are placed in rather massive craters again, as we saw in a16. They don't have very steep slopes, but it still looks unnatural. All cities are also just.. squares..

- - - Updated - - -

* steps one meter to the SW *

Now I'm closer to you <3

I'm pretty sure the roads and towns are using 17's code mostly. Terrain gen is brand new and looks great IMO, so we'll improve roads/towns more in the future.

For those with bad FPS when they go outdoors and look at terrain, you can try this in the console:

gfx dt

That will toggle distant terrain off/on. Does your FPS jump back up with it off?

Absolutely no change observed. I will get upwards of 150fps without V-Sync indoors. When I climb up to the roof of my shack and start looking around, the FPS drops into the 40s.

I picked a spot that the FPS was the lowest and tried this command. I observed a minor change of around 3FPS. In turn, I tried all of the settings available and found that the massive frame drop was not affected by any of them. As expected, SS-Reflection quality and SSAO made the biggest overall changes in max FPS observed. While only minor changes in min FPS (while looking at terrain) was observed. Massive FPS drop continued with these options disabled as well.

Distant terrain is not the problem here. It appears to be something near field based on my non-scientific observation of how much near terrain was occluded by the roof of the building. AKA how close I was to the edge or the center of the roof. With distant terrain always visible.

Please get this fixed ASAP. 40FPS feels really bad with a 120hz monitor. Having to use adaptive V-Sync at 60Hz just to have a playable game with decent frame pacing is not what I bought this monster game destroying rig for. :D

uhm, wait a minute. to upgrade a hatch to a scrap hatch, you need to use a scrap hatch? that makes no sense. why bother? just make the scrap hatch.

- - - Updated - - -

havent found a big city yet, mostly small communities and some sets of 3 pois in the hills. havent left the desert yet.

To keep people from bypassing mechanical parts and stuff required for the higher class doors. Probably an oversight on the scrap hatch since its just scrap. The main change was supposed to be you aren't getting a vault door without the mechanical parts and upgrades only allow one item. Like IRL you don't magically convert a pos wooden door to a steel one, you buy a new door and hang it. At least you don't have to tear the door off.

@MM, Hello.

I think you need to correct the description of the perk Javelin Master - 1. Sharp Sticks.

It says here that we can create spears of the first level and open the recipe for an iron spear, if I understand correctly.

But from the start we know how to create spears of the first quality.

Therefore, here you need to remove the mention of the possibility of creating copies of the first quality.

022.jpg

Maybe, its not a bug to have information. Most people look at the first perk to see what it does in general and if no mention of crafting quality then they might be confused as to where they will begin to craft better things.

@Faatal

Changing the distant terrain to off, using the gfx dt setting gives me back about 5-10 FPS. So i go from ~25 to ~30/35.

Doesnt look like that's it. I should be getting more than double that on this setup (60-70).

Is there anyway we can get a list of the gfx commands, so we can test ourselves? I tried 'help gfx' but that didnt do it.

'gfx pp enable 0' gives literally 0fps extra while dramatically changing the lighting for the worse.

There's something completely hogging my GPU to 100% load and it's not the textures since it's an 8GB card and i can see the VRAM util hovering between ~5 and 6GB.

When looking at a scene full of water, it's the same low FPS btw. It's not limited to distant terrain or anything. In the case of the waterscene it's probably the ground underneath the water that's causing it. Chaning any water settings doesnt affect it in the slightest.

gfx pp is turning off all the post processing effects, which are generally not that expensive on better GPUs. If you had no gain with that, then changing the individual effects won't do anything.

VRAM is often used by the OS and other programs in addition to what 7dtd is using.

For those on a recent version of Windows 10, you can open task manager, select the Details tab, right click on a column header, select "Select Columns", scroll to the bottom and check the 4 GPU choices. Now you can see the "Dedicated GPU Memory" column, which shows what each task is using.

I honestly don't think this is intended.

You guys went to so much trouble and hard work making sure this would be a relatively smooth launch, because of what happened with a17, and when you look at the steam forums, this forum, and twitch, people are talking about the bad performance. (On the flip side, that seems to be about the only bad part of this release, so kudos for that :))

As far as this being an experimental to an early access game, yes that is true. But public perception being what it is, the real worlkd doesnt work that way. First impressions matter, no matter if it's experimental. That type of information just gets lost in the noise.

Hope you guys prepare a better launch for A19/Gold. :)

All you are promoting is for TFP to go back to not doing experimentals. Experimental builds are a relatively new thing and before TFP pulled the trigger on it one of their worries was exactly what you are describing. If TFP can't even get a grace period of a few days to configure performance for the suddenly massive number of configurations that are suddenly playing then I can tell you that their response is likely to be to take away the experimental build model rather than somehow "prepare better" next time.

Preparing better would be testing different configs behind closed doors for a few months to keep the poor results private instead of letting the community who chooses to opt in try it on their potatoes and report.

Now if your response is, "I don't mind waiting for a good launch and a good version if it means they have good performance from day 1" then by all means opt out and wait until 18.2 to be your own day 1 and you will have experienced your much better launch.

All you are promoting is for TFP to go back to not doing experimentals. Experimental builds are a relatively new thing and before TFP pulled the trigger on it one of their worries was exactly what you are describing. If TFP can't even get a grace period of a few days to configure performance for the suddenly massive number of configurations that are suddenly playing then I can tell you that their response is likely to be to take away the experimental build model rather than somehow "prepare better" next time.

Preparing better would be testing different configs behind closed doors for a few months to keep the poor results private instead of letting the community who chooses to opt in try it on their potatoes and report.

Now if your response is, "I don't mind waiting for a good launch and a good version if it means they have good performance from day 1" then by all means opt out and wait until 18.2 to be your own day 1 and you will have experienced your much better launch.

> Implying that the failures were the result of us having "potatoes"? Nice.

Naz is a pre generated world, hence it knows whats going on, the RWG is random generated, so it needs to bild as it goes, load times are more, the terrain is not predetermined by the system etc etc

Since A17 RWG builds a map into the same format as Navezgane. It is all predeteremined up front, so runs the same.

Loving the new update.

Decided to hit a crazy giant shotgum messiah/factory poi. Have never seen that many zombies and vultures... regretted so much going there xD on the bright side i have now learnt that spears fly really far. Was going to shoot a zombie, it juked and i just watched my spear traverse the roof and fly beyond thw edge never to be seen again... how long do they stay in the ground before disappearing btw?

Also tried day 7 bloodmoon. Locked myself in a concrete poi and watched zombies desperately trying to break walls. Thought it was nothing special, then came morning and me and my buddy jumped down to dispatch of the remaining crowd. Aim with the spear, shoot only to hear barking from behind my back and my buddy shouting ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥. Turned around and got dead by a freaking zombie bear and his 3 buddies that came out of nowhere.

Some zombies in poi disappear and reappear at random :p saw 5 zombies on the rooftop at night waited till morning and they were gone, jumped the rooftop and taadaa they were there all along xD.

I'm getting terrible performance for some reason. It was fine in A17, but no matter what settings I try now it is really laggy and almost unplayable.

Someone mentioned turning off occlusion earlier in the thread, but it's greyed out for me on all presets and custom.

Specs are AMD 2600, 16gb ram, 1070ti and the games on an ssd. I'm on a 1440p monitor, but even setting the res to 1080p is not much better.

Also followed the instal instructions and cleaned all files and validated before playing.

Just a few notes.. not sure if people have commented about them.

1. During the day some zombies half run/walk.. not sure if this was meant to be. Worker zombies are usually the ones that have this going on.

2. My friends have terrible lag (compared to A17.X) and it is unplayable now when doing multiplayer. My computer is fine.

3. Zombies spawns in buildings seems more reasonable :fat:

4. You can read books even after you know the perk/skill.. this shouldnt be allowed

5. The different ore deposits dont show properly underground at the surface against the dirt.. i.e. iron ore looks like dirt but shovel clearly doesnt do damage

Archived