Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

MM,

It's hilarious, I am a metal head, my favorite band is Iron Maiden and I now qualify for AARP. 55 years old and still rocking. I feel sorry for the kids that will have to work at the old folks homes we will be wrecking :)

So excited about streamers. I will once again probably watch about 20+ hours of streams. Then on Monday it will be time to see how long it takes to get over 3000 hours.

Thanks for all the hard work everyone. Thanks MM for putting up with us and keeping us informed.

Chris

I've felt strongly that there should be more variety in zombie appearance, a bit of a shot to immersion to have a horde of octuplet bikers sauntering your way in perfect unison.

In an ideal world, there would be variance in clothing, hair styles/color, height, even body/facial structures. (basically, as if each zombie walked out of a random character creator session). I'm sure that would be as expensive as hell, and would result in fewer zombies to balance performance, which of course no one wants.

Love the voxel world and the freedom it gives, but gosh darn it the price is high sometimes :)

I completely agree with this. Left 4 Dead pulled it off 11 years ago, and c’mon, the “but voxels!” excuse can’t apply to everything :p. That’s one reason I was curious if AI is the bigger bottleneck, as opposed to, say, entity textures.

Asset bundles from mods are now loaded on game startup instead of when contents of them are first used (e.g. due to spawning an enemy the first time)

I dont think you thought about this properly....

Can we get an option to disable and only load when bundle is needed?

No. Do you think [the generator] needs to use more gas?

Hmm, I thought we’d discussed this at length before, and you’d already nerfed the fuel efficiency on generators. But if it hasn’t changed from A17 yet, here’s my feedback.

It’s not so much that the generator needs to use more gas, as it is that powerful traps that can do so much for you, like spinning blades and electric fences, should drain the generator faster. And ideally, they should drain it faster when they’re actually killing zombies than when they’re idle. I say this thinking about gameplay, not necessarily realism, and especially after you’ve nerfed gas in vehicles.

No, we really don’t. This is still not a place to ‘fill time’, raise one’s post count, or otherwise post for the sake of posting. There’s going to be enough catchup in the coming days. I urge us all not to spam the thread.

it was a joke lol

- - - Updated - - -

also rip A18 for me on Monday

cuz my internet ill go out due to maintenance until 8:00 pm and ill be passed out by then

OOF

Has everybody received their "Alpha 18 Complaints" Bingo card? We're playing blackout, but I still think that the winner will complete their card very quickly.

(I love the patch notes, and especially the way that TFP has been responsive to the player feedback. I still expect that people will not be satisfied...they never are.)

Edit: I'm particularly looking at "Gameplay Changes, sub.cat. Item Changes." No doubt there will be howls about "parts?!?" and "moar time in the inventory is not playing the game. raaaage!!!!"

OCWPDmo.png

Another question for everyone

what melee weapons would you chose out of theses

Sleigh hammer ?

Clubs ?

Axes ?

knife's ?

machete?

or pick?

and why?

The sleigh hammer.

Because it sounds interesting. Never have played with it. Is it a secret weapon in A18?

@faatal could we get clarification what exactly means: VEHICLES

Damage when colliding with the world is more accurately calculated and less land claim damage is done. [update note]

Does that mean vehicles well now not ignore a players lcb protection?

The notes on the change are: vehicles do half damage to land claimed blocks and make the sound, use driver's block damage scale.

If it was ignored, then it should work now. Specifically, GetLandProtectionHardnessModifier returns x2 modifier for vehicle hits. Less false hits also leads to less damage.

@MADMOLE there is a book called urban combat on the notes wasn't that a book that was removed in like a12? or lower

Its brand new series. A lot of "old stuff" made it back into the game, like pummel pete and various names of stuff from earlier alphas.

Time to put this on as a avatar for a fresh new Alpha, eh? ;)

Honestly I'll take bearded older me with muscle vs long hair scrawny younger me. I feel great like I'm still 30 since I changed my diet a few years ago so I'm not one of those guys sitting around talking about "what I used to do", I'm beating my old bests all the time yet :) Age is a number, most people who think they are old, are really just sick and out of shape.

Archived