Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

With weapon crafting it would only mean spam-crafting until you get one "good" gun so it would be a pretty meaningless feature.

In a game like Diablo that works because you're not crafting most of your gear.

But players would do it. That's where all my mats in The Division went. Crafting guns until I got a good roll.

If anything, it gives players something to use up resources on, which in turn makes them have to go mine/loot/scavenge more, which keeps them going.

Could also mean traders would sell guns with different stats. Yet another reason to keep tabs on their inventory.

That also just made me think of something. It'd be cool if you maybe had some sort of "reputation" with each trader that would maybe unlock some secret loot. Or maybe get free stuff every so often, or just discounts in general.

I didn't mean you explicitly, I meant tfp, I didn't mean from A17.0, I meant from when it wasn't possible in vanilla.

Well, the gameplay/XML stuff would mostly have been me putting it in. ;)

Just saying that in A16 (I think all versions) and definitely all versions of A17 it has been possible to max out every perk.

It's just weird to keep hearing that pop up every once in a while. It's like "everyone knows" that you can get water from a cactus when in reality almost every cactus will only get you sickness and vomiting. (don't get your survival techniques from movies...)

Just saying that in A16 (I think all versions) and definitely all versions of A17 it has been possible to max out every perk.

If I calculated correctly, you need 285 points to get each perk to maximum. If you include the 4 points from the starterquest then you should be at level 281 at this point.

To be fair, there's no reason that you can't make crafted gear always have the lower end of the range, and get the higher ranges of the quality tier by finding it. It would be a pretty cool feature. Craft a reliable base number, but adventure to find a better one.

Hmm, I'm quickly warming up to this idea. The game is never going to have the depth of firearms some people have wanted since forever. So having different stats on instances of the same weapon, to get the same effect without the art & performance cost, is actually a compelling argument.

One thing's for sure. In the current game, if you've seen one firearm of a given quality, you've seen them all. That makes finding additional ones (which is now a more common occurrence, since firearms were made more common in general) a comparatively ho-hum experience.

It's like "everyone knows" that you can get water from a cactus when in reality almost every cactus will only get you sickness and vomiting. (don't get your survival techniques from movies...)

Another tip about cacti is that their ribs are made of wood. So if someone trying to survive were to, hypothetically, chop down and process one, they would hope to come away with some wood in addition to plant fibers. Glad you brought it up. :becky:

(My suggestion: just find/replace foodCropYuccaFruit with resourceWood for cacti. It's already scaled well to the size of the cactus, and it curbs the overabundance of food in the desert relative to other biomes.)

Hmm, I'm quickly warming up to this idea. The game is never going to have the depth of firearms some people have wanted since forever. So having different stats on instances of the same weapon, to get the same effect without the art & performance cost, is actually a compelling argument.

One thing's for sure. In the current game, if you've seen one firearm of a given quality, you've seen them all. That makes finding additional ones (which is now a more common occurrence, since firearms were made more common in general) a comparatively ho-hum experience.

I agree. Two of the most common critiques about A17 were the flood of identical weapons and nothing new to scavenge.

Sure, we will have legendary guns soon, but that is a pipe dream for everyone playing in early or mid game. It would be "fan service", a feature one can conveniently ignore if viewed as overkill, but sensory explosion for compulsive collectors.

Rushed to craft my T6 shotgun, and all I got were these 6 empty mod slots. :D

Yeah I think players will have all the mods long before they have a gun that will hold them with some proper balance. We could be more liberal with mods in loot and be stingy on the gun that will hold them all. Everyone wanting guns to do damage just wants to craft their way to victory. With the top tier weapons find/buy/craft with schematic only it should play a lot better.

Joel, I want to continue the discussion of the possibility of reducing the quality of weapons during repairs.

Did you write that there will be problems with mods if the weapon quality drops?

Why can't I make all the cells available for inserting mods? At this time, each weapon cell may have an on / off state. That is, we can insert into the weapon of orange quality fashion in all 5 slots, but only the first 2 will work.

Joel, now zombies react only to abandoned stones and other sounds (weapons, footsteps, jumps). Previously, zombies reacted to arrows and crossbow bolts.

Also now it is impossible to wake a zombie with a stone throw, even if the stone falls into a zombie.

Will it be changed?

Which is why I wrote: "giveselfxp <number>" a while back. Easy way to check it out for yourself...

No, it's not because to the reader this again implies that levels are the only source of skill points.

It's frustrating to see this narrative re-told so often.

With weapon crafting it would only mean spam-crafting until you get one "good" gun so it would be a pretty meaningless feature.

Unless you can only craft the lower stat range of the weapon, or half of the max range.

It will reward the player who spent time looking for it, instead of crafting it in the safety of his base :)

Unless you can only craft the lower stat range of the weapon, or half of the max range.

It will reward the player who spent time looking for it, instead of crafting it in the safety of his base :)

Perhaps a tiered workbench system. The better the workbench, the higher the quality. Use rare resources such as diamonds (to be used on lathes and drills) as requirements for crafting higher tier benches.

This would provide a set of achievements for crafters to strive for and looking for rare resources will send them trading/mining/scavenging more often.

Higher tier benches could have a minimum requirement to use and the previous tier of workbench to craft. This would lead to quite large workshops as crafters try to make sure they have at least one of every workbench. More space for a workshop means a larger are to defend during horde night.

You cant craft 5/6/7 i think it was, so the crafter wont matter when they can spam craft

Perhaps a tiered workbench system. The better the workbench, the higher the quality. Use rare resources such as diamonds (to be used on lathes and drills) as requirements for crafting higher tier benches.

This would provide a set of achievements for crafters to strive for and looking for rare resources will send them trading/mining/scavenging more often.

Higher tier benches could have a minimum requirement to use and the previous tier of workbench to craft. This would lead to quite large workshops as crafters try to make sure they have at least one of every workbench. More space for a workshop means a larger are to defend during horde night.

On an exponentially growing tier system, each level requiring exponentially more rare recources, and exponentially more costly to create production stations. Endless playtime for habitual archivers. (but there is probably a law against such vicious design)

Is it in the testers hands or does Robert still have it sequestered?

Probably both. I was unable to verify the roads because the splat maps have road visuals broken at the moment for A18, I could check it in steam. In unity it cooked my 8k map in roughly 18 minutes. I'm sure a build would be faster.

To be fair, there's no reason that you can't make crafted gear always have the lower end of the range, and get the higher ranges of the quality tier by finding it. It would be a pretty cool feature. Craft a reliable base number, but adventure to find a better one.

That's what we're doing. You can craft an smg but have to find an AK.

Seems to me that if found guns could have the possibility of 1-2 random mods already installed, that would give all the variety in guns that you would need. Crafted guns would always be empty of mods of course so there is your bottom of the stat range.

There was a short time when guns that were looted had a mod pre-installed and that was pretty exciting.

Joel, I want to continue the discussion of the possibility of reducing the quality of weapons during repairs.

Did you write that there will be problems with mods if the weapon quality drops?

Why can't I make all the cells available for inserting mods? At this time, each weapon cell may have an on / off state. That is, we can insert into the weapon of orange quality fashion in all 5 slots, but only the first 2 will work.

I'm not really a fan of a complex degradation system. I'd rather see random stats on weapons.

Spoiler alert! That was our Super Sekrit Plan!

(or the mysterious and amazing decimal system - however you want to phrase it)

I'd make player crafted ones the same, but world found ones have a random stat seed. No spam crafting, loot to find that awesome or maybe even legendary stat item.

Hate the idea of random stats on guns. This is, so far, NOT a dungeon crawler where my the point is to repeat the same looting sequence until I get that one piece of gear. Please do not make it so.

You cant craft 5/6/7 i think it was, so the crafter wont matter when they can spam craft

True.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm all in for more workbenchs. You have really interesting ideas.

I'm not really a fan of a complex degradation system. I'd rather see random stats on weapons.

A random number of active cells, it would also be nice)

Now it turns out that it’s enough for us to find a weapon or a tool once and for good. We cannot lose it or break it completely.

A random number of active cells, it would also be nice)

Now it turns out that it’s enough for us to find a weapon or a tool once and for good. We cannot lose it or break it completely.

It would be nice having a max amount of condition repaired. per ex: An iron axe with 1200/1200 with a max amount of 4000 repairable. so you can repair it from 0 to 1200 only 3 times and a little bit more. Then melt it, sell or scrap.

Archived