Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Flat roads would mean a flat world for the most part, no thanks.

As someone who lives in Colorado, let me just state plainly that real life proves your statement incorrect.

The maximum allowed grade on highways in the United States is 6% in hilly and mountainous areas, or 7% with further restrictions. If the elevation change is too high, then you get zig-zagging roads, detours around the obstacle, or tunnels. It is perfectly possible to have flat roads on a non-flat world. See exhibit A below. I'd rather the game *punt* on having a road go somewhere than have it make a road that will be unrealistically steep.

1752144142_WinterParkRoad.jpg.1d7ff8144ae56a2a2f71d102634c0f77.jpg

On the subject of quality vs mod slots, it's probably better to have a soft limit on available mod slots, rather than just a pure hard limit. Since items get more durable at higher quality, it might make sense to give most mods (unless it's like, Structural Brace) a durability penalty or an increase in repair costs. That way, even if the game isn't forcing you to keep your lvl 1 club unmodified, making the club even more dangerously fragile by say, piercing it with metal spikes isn't something you'd always want to do.

The alternative perspective, however, is that mods should not add damage. Games4kickz put it this way, before going back to a16 because he was bored with a17: "Mods shouldn't add damage just because you put them in your weapon. They should add specific effects, like setting zombies on fire, or slowing them down. Improved damage should come from improved quality." (paraphrased)

I'm not saying that's how the game should work, but that mods add to damage is a choice, not a required mechanic. We can have mods *and* not have them add extra damage, which would allow extra damage to come (again) from quality.

I agree with in principal but the problem is most mods become kind of lame because everyone wants more DPS.

As someone who lives in Colorado, let me just state plainly that real life proves your statement incorrect.

The maximum allowed grade on highways in the United States is 6% in hilly and mountainous areas, or 7% with further restrictions. If the elevation change is too high, then you get zig-zagging roads, detours around the obstacle, or tunnels. It is perfectly possible to have flat roads on a non-flat world. See exhibit A below. I'd rather the game *punt* on having a road go somewhere than have it make a road that will be unrealistically steep.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28156[/ATTACH]

I don't think you understood the OP's suggestion or maybe I didn't. Either way the road code is done AFAIK, I'll drive around a bit this afternoon and see how they are.

I agree with in principal but the problem is most mods become kind of lame because everyone wants more DPS.

you can have mods that improve DPS and mods that change handling and user stats. for example

-- Silencer - IRL a Silencer does increase muzzle velocity so it should increase DPS

-- AP or High Power Rounds that also increase DPS.

-- bipod should reduce fatigue and increase accuracy but not increase DPS.

-- spring replacement - increase fire rate

-- shoulder sling and/or front handle should reduce fatigue and increase accuracy

-- allowing an Engineer perk that allows me to "reload" rounds to make high power (called +P) rounds that increase DPS would be a nice perk.

-- scopes - accuracy but not DPS.

so RPM and +P rounds would increase total DPS delivered and other mods increase accuracy and reduce my burden.

I find the logic I go with regarding quality and damage is the increase in quality should only increase durability. Theoretically I can make a crappy handmade shiv that stabs a zombie once. Later I can make better quality shiv that can stab zombies multiple times. The only difference is the shiv has more durability. Both the ♥♥♥♥ty shiv and good one act in the same fashion and do the same damage just one lasts longer.

I'm not sure about this. It`s an uncommon design choice. I've played 17.2 and I must say not having better damage each level of quality feels off. After many hours into a17 it still feels off. The weapon gets durability with quality, yeah, but that isn't nearly enough to get a good and easy to communicate "feeling" about the weapon of choice.

I'm not digging mods for that explanation., and lots of people aren't. Mods are a plus, a good addition to the weapon/armor. But at the end of the day, Mods are not the essence of that weapon/armor. It feels off.

To prevent this confusing "feeling" I suggest a placebo: Make less powerful the grey quality weapon/armor and gradualy up the damage/def value until its current (a17.2) one for the purple quality items.

That way it feels and plays good. Just my two cents.

I think a lot of this has to do with pacing. You can craft level 6 quality items - whose only real difference is more MOD slots as durability is not a major issue with 99% of items - FAR before you get the MODS to make it any different. I think that leaves the player feeling as though there is no difference to the base item and the level 6 one they worked so hard to craft. When you finally get the MODS, the difference is crystal clear.

Most of this is irrelevant because the crafting, mod and quality changes that are coming down in .3. We will have to see how those affect the feel of higher tier items. I think that the pacing is going to change dramatically as you can no longer craft top tier items. If we get those items around the same time that we find MODS to fill them with then the new items will feel much better IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

No mines. No mines!

Now I know what I am going to be hunting for :D I HATE stepping on a mine.

That's what the perk tree and books are for. The way it is now you NEED all 5 mods just to cap damage. It dosent even matter what mods you use any combination of 5 mods will get you to the same max damage on a weapon. I would rather have each tier of weapons have a damage range and mods add fun bonuses.

I agree with the: Mods dont all need to add damage.

Effects could be sweet. Though things like electrical effect, does seem a bit like sorcery.

Tradeoffs could be cool. Like a legendary effect, that doubles swing speed and halfs damage per hit.

Or extends reach, lowers dam...

Anyone got any better? :)

or tunnels.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28156[/ATTACH]

OOO Tunnels! I wonder if something like that might be a good solution/alternative for too steep terrain? several pois could be made the same width as roads that could be linked together for the tunnel. There could be an underground maintenance facility leading from tunnel doors, and with flickering lights the tunnel could be scary to traverse.

Thats probably more than they could chew off for going gold, but it WOULD be nice, along with several types of bridges for rivers. (Or at least a rustic one for rural areas, and a modern one for citys/highways.)

Nice to hear that roads are getting worked on for this Alpha. :)

This is something that has been bugging me for awhile.

Paved roads:

Too steep.

Painted right in the ground.

Too erratic in RG.

Also dirt roads seem too narrow for cars to go on.

I think a lot of this has to do with pacing. You can craft level 6 quality items - whose only real difference is more MOD slots as durability is not a major issue with 99% of items - FAR before you get the MODS to make it any different. I think that leaves the player feeling as though there is no difference to the base item and the level 6 one they worked so hard to craft. When you finally get the MODS, the difference is crystal clear.

Most of this is irrelevant because the crafting, mod and quality changes that are coming down in .3. We will have to see how those affect the feel of higher tier items. I think that the pacing is going to change dramatically as you can no longer craft top tier items. If we get those items around the same time that we find MODS to fill them with then the new items will feel much better IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

No mines. No mines!

Now I know what I am going to be hunting for :D I HATE stepping on a mine.

Rushed to craft my T6 shotgun, and all I got were these 6 empty mod slots. :D

Yeah I think players will have all the mods long before they have a gun that will hold them with some proper balance. We could be more liberal with mods in loot and be stingy on the gun that will hold them all. Everyone wanting guns to do damage just wants to craft their way to victory. With the top tier weapons find/buy/craft with schematic only it should play a lot better.

You can hear their pain sounds but maybe we can squirt some blood periodically when the buff fires somehow.

Well... I must sheepishly admit that I didn't think zombies bled in A17. I'd been assuming bleeding was just for players, animals, and eventually bandits, and so clubs were superior in practice. So I'll agree - blood spurts would be nice to make this more obvious, because I totally missed it. :)

Immunity to landmines will be cool, but to be honest I'd be plenty satisfied with less powerful abilities, like the ability to defuse & recover mines, or the ability to not trigger them so long as I'm not running/sprinting/jumping. The book as described is basically 'turn landmines off mode' (except vehicles), so I hope that's the last, most powerful upgrade in a sequence, much the same way that if there were a 'turn weather off' coat, you'd want there to be intermediate steps before you get it.

Nice to hear that roads are getting worked on for this Alpha. :)

This is something that has been bugging me for awhile.

Paved roads:

Too steep.

Painted right in the ground.

Too erratic in RG.

Also dirt roads seem too narrow for cars to go on.

AFAIK Its an entire new RWG not just some fixes to what you got in 17. It uses images arranged with a node editor similar to substance designer to create some pretty nice height maps.

AFAIK Its an entire new RWG not just some fixes to what you got in 17. It uses images arranged with a node editor similar to substance designer to create some pretty nice height maps.

Is it in the testers hands or does Robert still have it sequestered?

Archived