Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

As the author of minibikes for dumb♥♥♥♥s and forge ahead, I will tell you that I like it. If you hated those kinds of things then you might not like A18. It feels like Fallout now in the way that there is a million cool things to find, and like diablo in that you might find a version of the same item that has better stats, or one better, one worse so there is a choice to make.

To me, this combined with the slower leveling and ungated attributes has taken the game from a 25 hour game to a hundred+ hour game with just one build. IF I can just sit back and craft the best guns/armor where is my incentive to loot? I don't have it. So once you get so far, it turns into building a big base you don't need.

If you call looting grinding, then this might not be your cup of tea. I find it extremely enjoying and so does the team.

I'm giving this reply my very important stamp of approval.

Slower leveling is better.

Trench? No. I'll be burying around 100 boxes. :-)

Clearing that much soil probably isn't going to take much longer than tilling it would have. Worst case scenario I can kludge the trench traps with some form of plate.

If you bury 100 boxes then there will not be divots everywhere. You will have one massive 10x10 box with the divot going around the perimeter of it but not trenches everywhere that will mess with your vehicle as you described earlier. Every time you place a box next to another box they merge into one larger box with no terrain or seam or wood between them.

I don't like the divot either and would be as pleased as anyone for it to disappear but you are going a little overboard with your speculation of the divot "problem" associated with the planter boxes. It would be as you described if you skip a row of terrain before placing your next box so that none of the boxes touch each other but then that stupidity would be on you and you would deserve to have issues trying to drive over the top of that configuration...

How do you make the "spoiler" drop down box? This would save space when I make a post with a gif on the forums.

In the interest of teaching a man to fish....

If you ever want to learn how anything is done in a post that you see, all you need to do is hit the reply with quote button and then read their post to see the tags they used. There are cool things you can do with lists, tables, images, etc. and you can learn them all simply by looking at their quoted text in the response field.

The place to go to learn the fun stuff is the modding forum as those guys like to outdo each other with formatting and pimping up their original posts....

In the interest of teaching a man to fish....

If you ever want to learn how anything is done in a post that you see, all you need to do is hit the reply with quote button and then read their post to see the tags they used. There are cool things you can do with lists, tables, images, etc. and you can learn them all simply by looking at their quoted text in the response field.

The place to go to learn the fun stuff is the modding forum as those guys like to outdo each other with formatting and pimping up their original posts....

I did not think of that, smart idea Roland. Thank you for the tips! :)

Yes the majority if not all skyscrapers have been removed as of A17. I do not remember why but I want to say its because of performance issues.

The skyscrapers are still in the game but the number of skyscrapers on a map has been reduced. Per city you usually have one skyscraper and this is most of the time the construction site. But you have a lot of factories and these 6-storey apartment buildings.

Why go to all that work just to bend over? The farm boxes 1 meter high are perfect height to harvest and easier to hit, especially for like mushrooms that have a tiny hit box.

Now look who is being lazy, the guy who said get out and loot. Get off your ass and farm you! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Bugs are bugs. Ones we don't want to fix end up becoming features lol.

I use Raid on those. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Theatrics. I know exactly what I'm doing.

You mean when you dropped your bow or when you fell into those blades or when you blew up your own chopper? ;)

i actually did a quick or semi quick video on a few aspects of the farm plots... enough to wet the whistle.

i'll link it here again. :)

Oh my I did not think I would get my ddaily fix of A18 video but here you are. Thank you for taking the time and making a video for us 7D2D junkies aka feins. Now I can get the shaky hand to stop lol. =)

EDIT: just notice the video is two weeks old, some how i missed it. Still though thank you.

It's not the centre of each patch that is a concern. Any attempt to put a path between patches is going to need some kludging plate.

Why create a path between? Aesthetics? There's no collision on crops. You can walk right through them and no path is necessary.

If you must have a path for "the look" then simply place a man made blocks between them and paint them to look like gravel.

Would it be possible to make it so that player-placed dirt blocks have the density values required for divotless seams, as opposed to the obviously problematic suggestion of applying those values to all terrain?

And if that's not quite good enough either, perhaps the smoothing calculations could be applied to the freshly placed block instead of some code that constantly runs trying to fix things like this??

If someone is really bothered, they could dig out the terrain and place a new dirt block.

Why create a path between? Aesthetics? There's no collision on crops. You can walk right through them and no path is necessary.

If you must have a path for "the look" then simply place a man made blocks between them and paint them to look like gravel.

Just because it's the apocalypse doesn't mean I can't have a shrubbery with a little path running through the middle. :-)

It does seem as though this whole idea was rushed through with little thought for the consequences. I don't disagree with the change overall but I really thought the soil/block boundary would have been fixed before the change. You've brought a problem into base building that players only really face while riding around a town. There's no way to ignore it.

Literally implayable! :-)

In A16 I always left a walkway between the rows of plants so that they were easier to plant. The chrysanthemums, the goldenrod and the cotton were always a bit wonky while planting. In A17 this is no longer necessary because the plants remain in the ground but I still use pathways for aesthetic reasons.

In the past I have often combined a tree farm with a garden. Between the trees there were always 3 rows free. One was used for the plants and the other two were for the pathways.

By the way, if you want to see a really great designed garden then have a look at Z-Nation's Alpha 17 videos. His vertical farm is a piece of art.

The skyscrapers are still in the game but the number of skyscrapers on a map has been reduced. Per city you usually have one skyscraper and this is most of the time the construction site. But you have a lot of factories and these 6-storey apartment buildings.

Precisely. The current world I'm on has one Book Tower, one Pharmaceutical Tower, 2 Joe Bro's Builders, and many factories and apartment buildings. I believe that the Dishong Tower has been removed from RWG though.

Precisely. The current world I'm on has one Book Tower, one Pharmaceutical Tower, 2 Joe Bro's Builders, and many factories and apartment buildings. I believe that the Dishong Tower has been removed from RWG though.

was the book tower, pharma tower etc. edited back in your game?

I swear the skyscrapers were removed in A17. The tall apartments and factories do not count as skyscrapers.

EDIT: After putting more thought in to this, maybe they were added back in A17.4 as that is the only version I did not really play.

Archived