Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

was the book tower, pharma tower etc. edited back in your game?

I swear the skyscrapers were removed in A17. The tall apartments and factories do not count as skyscrapers.

EDIT: After putting more thought in to this, maybe they were added back in A17.4 as that is the only version I did not really play.

Nope. They are able to spawn, just very rarely. They were added back in 17.4, minus Dishong.

Well that system isn't supported. Are you seriously going to dig a trench and put a row of wooden boxes filled with dirt IN the GROUND?

Yes. If that's the only way to have a flush farm that zombies won't get stuck on and bang til they break it. Even if the z's avoided it I would dig it in. Farms aren't elevated. Full Stop. I'll also dig an extra block around as I already do to bury wood frames. A17 it made hitting the plant easier. Both 17/18 it gets rid of the divot.

Having now watched the video Unholyjoe reposted regarding the planters box, whatever its called, I am no longer concerned about this change. Now I understand why there are concerns from other players regarding that ugly gap that happens when placing them in the ground.

I for one still plan on placing them in the ground and it would indeed be nice to have those ugly gaps gone.

If the gap remains no biggie, its not a game breaker just annoying aesthetically speaking.

As far as driving over them, I tend to agree with MM. Do not drive over them lol.

Even though it's not a thing at the moment, I still plan to treat the crops as though they can be damaged by anything. I just think it is highly likely to change in the future to be this way and I would prefer to be used to dealing with it already. They may even say that they don't plan on it, and if they do, I won't believe it because it's against the nature of such a dynamic world.

That said, I will most likely start building structures for farms... and therefore, the gap issue isn't something that will be bothering me.

As the author of minibikes for dumb♥♥♥♥s and forge ahead, I will tell you that I like it. If you hated those kinds of things then you might not like A18. It feels like Fallout now in the way that there is a million cool things to find, and like diablo in that you might find a version of the same item that has better stats, or one better, one worse so there is a choice to make.

To me, this combined with the slower leveling and ungated attributes has taken the game from a 25 hour game to a hundred+ hour game with just one build. IF I can just sit back and craft the best guns/armor where is my incentive to loot? I don't have it. So once you get so far, it turns into building a big base you don't need.

If you call looting grinding, then this might not be your cup of tea. I find it extremely enjoying and so does the team.

This sounds totally reasonable. Too many games that have been around too long (MMOs I'm talking to you), in an effort to please everyone end up dumbing down the game by making progression faster and faster. I played an MMO years ago where the devs stated that it should take a player about a year to reach the highest level. Now a player in the same game can hit max level in a weekend...

i actually did a quick or semi quick video on a few aspects of the farm plots... enough to wet the whistle.

i'll link it here again. :)

Joe, Devs, Trolland: anyway yall can get rid of that space in between the plot block and the ground to fill it in to make it look more natural to the ground in 18? Talking about the space at around 3:20 in the video next to plot block/ground.

I’m tired of all these rock jokes. One more rock reference and my temper will burst. Let me ask a you a serious question. Who is your favorite fictional boxer portrayed by Silvester Stallone?

Xd hehehe oh man.. i really thought you were done with all the rock jokes, that you lost your marble..s.

- - - Updated - - -

are you stoned already? :)

Hehe my wife is gonna stone me if i don't behave..

Not sure that's a bad way to die as a geologist, come to think of it..

- - - Updated - - -

My wife keeps bugging me to order her one of these.

What is it?

Apparently it can do the dishes faster than I can..

That's why IMO it's critical that a farm is flush with the ground. It's just too risky not to.

That's why I will most likely dig out a space for the farm boxes (1 deep into the ground) and surround the farm boxes with one row of upgraded wood frames that will be painted to look like gravel. At least this method will also give me a supply of clay.

You actually might find some fools on the forum to help you. Because they are still single and don't know what they are getting in to.

Not me though. I may be single but I heard ... stories.

Lol! You know any of these fools? I've heard there was a math teacher in there. And a Pennsylvanian Pervert. And a South American.

Guest Piratenking
As the author of minibikes for dumb♥♥♥♥s and forge ahead, I will tell you that I like it. If you hated those kinds of things then you might not like A18. It feels like Fallout now in the way that there is a million cool things to find, and like diablo in that you might find a version of the same item that has better stats, or one better, one worse so there is a choice to make.

To me, this combined with the slower leveling and ungated attributes has taken the game from a 25 hour game to a hundred+ hour game with just one build. IF I can just sit back and craft the best guns/armor where is my incentive to loot? I don't have it. So once you get so far, it turns into building a big base you don't need.

If you call looting grinding, then this might not be your cup of tea. I find it extremely enjoying and so does the team.

i dont usually pre-hate anything until i try it, but i have some friends playing Diablo and your reference to it made me remember when we are on discord and they rage because they get items they already have instead of what they are looking for after hrs and hrs of gameplay.

imo having meaningfull things to loot is always nice and welcome but randomization is not something usually asociated with "reward for time invested" rather a reward for luck, that said 7DTD is not a game that forces you to have all the end game stuff to have fun with it so lets see how it goes.

25 hrs? aint that a big exagerated? my old save file got corrupted after a power outage at like day 120, and my new game is on day 45 i would say i have had more than 25 hrs of fun :)

i do agree with you on the "giving the player a reason to loot" i just believe (as mentioned before) a segmentation of loot could be a smoother not RNG solution, but as i also said before lets see how A18 feels.

<snip>

i do agree with you on the "giving the player a reason to loot" i just believe (as mentioned before) a segmentation of loot could be a smoother not RNG solution, but as i also said before lets see how A18 feels.

Interesting take you have on this. *strokes beard while thinking* Normally I hate games that do the whole random stats deal but TFP has done an amazing job of implementing features that normally I hate in games.

I have learned not to pre-judge an upcoming alpha release. Best to first play it, then judge rather than judging before ever experiencing it. I am also looking forward to seeing how all this fits together. I have no doubts that this random stat mechanic will be fine.

Maybe limit digging to ferals? That way, in addition to better pathing there's less swiss cheese landscape and wreckage by RHs but still a balanced way for blood moon hordes to attack bunker bases?

Perhaps each zed could have something akin to a 'numerical fingernail' HP pool, where each block they destroy removes points from said 'fingernail HP' pool, stopping them from destroying all but the most basic blocks once this HP pool is reduced to zero. Also implementing a 'fingernail density' value that would control the variety of blocks that each one could actually destroy.

Dawn of the Dead: Scary running zomibes, brutal, humans being ♥♥♥♥s, everything ending bad lol.

Shawn of the Dead: Mix of scary, comedy, character growth, irony. Very hard to pull off horror and comedy and put meaning into it.

Bram Stokers Dracula: Again great story, good vs evil (is he really evil?), he can turn into a wolf, a giant bat, little bats, etc.

Underworld 1 and: Love story, turmoil against her own kind, great action. Underworld 2 was amazing too, Marcus was cool in bat form, so scary, great action. Interesting politics and lore in each faction.

Runners up, worth watching:

28 days / weeks later

Zombie Land

Land of the dead

Blade 1-3

Planet Terror

I am Legend

First few Resident Evils

True Blood first 4 seasons

Queen of the Damned

From Dusk Til dawn movie and tv series

30 Days of night: Heavily inspired 7 days tbh

Dracula 2000 is a sleeper hit IMO Didn't even know who Gerard Butler was yet

John Carpenter's Vampires (cheap but creepy vampires with great gore, James woods was a badass)

I'm shocked you haven't got Wyrmwood or Juan of the dead in that list, they are an absolute classic.

**Wormwood especially -

Archived