Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

The bigger the project you're working on and the deeper you delve into the code, the higher the probability you're messing up a couple other things with your changes. Not to mention a situation when the project gets so big, you start forgetting about some details and very specific features in it. Remembering about every little detail to be checked after updates to a specific area can be quite troublesome.

Guest Piratenking
and items with random stats has turned this game into something that rivals Diablo from my perspective.

well i am not quite sure thats a good thing, specially since is one of the most common feature in the videogame industry when a developer tries to suplement lack of content with grind, ofc i am not saying thats the reason in this case but consider:

A) It makes the gameplay experience grindier (wich is not always a good thing)

B) Takes away value from the ability to craft better items by adding points to intellect (why bother with crafting if i can get better stuff looting)

C) Adding a ton of stuff to the loot pool kinda makes the items feel ... less special? in the current A17 you decide what you want and then you work for it, easy simple and rewarding. randomizing stats and adding a big loot pool could probably give the same feeling of frustration Diablo/Anthem/"Any other shooter in existence" players get when they invest time to chase after a specific item and dont get it.

on a side note i would like to mention the fact that even tho i have lots of fun in hordes, opening up a yellow loot bag to get: "can of food" "bottle of water" or suff like that feels a bit insulting, feels like the developers made zombies drop loot just to be able to say "hey guys zombies drop loot again, hurray".

And lastly for now, have you consider the possibility of adding "segments" of loot, like:

End game/Special items: Only droped in hordes (hazma suit for example)

Mods: Only found in houses

Armors: only drope by ferals

Weapons: Only droped by radiated, etc

the above is just an example i made up just now, the idea would be to give a special meaning to every aspect of the game, as of right now clearing and looting a house once you have the level at wich radiated are a common occurence is not worth it when you know the best you gonna get is either: weapons/mods that sell for stuply low ammount of dukes, Armors to melt/Scrap, food or drinks. there is simply no motivation to do it, i can gear up much faster crafting and selling to trader and buying what i need from them wich oversimplifies the experience a lot, this would motivate people to play different aspects of the game without feeling forced to "grind" until RNG decides to reward you.

Well that system isn't supported. Are you seriously going to dig a trench and put a row of wooden boxes filled with dirt IN the GROUND?

Trench? No. I'll be burying around 100 boxes. :-)

Clearing that much soil probably isn't going to take much longer than tilling it would have. Worst case scenario I can kludge the trench traps with some form of plate.

As for bugs, what Fataal was talking about are low priority bugs.

A few weeks ago I noticed a ticket about one piece of clothing having a bit of bad geometry. Clipping, invisible, whatever.

This is the kind of bug that gets fixed last. Or never.

Well that system isn't supported. Are you seriously going to dig a trench and put a row of wooden boxes filled with dirt IN the GROUND?

If I want it at ground level, which i usually do - Then yes.

I can see where they could be useful in areas if you're into aesthetics. I don't really like my movement impeded even if it's a jump.

Also If it's raised I am afraid zombies would get blocked by it and destroy it.

Make note my garden area is usually off behind the base somewhere not inside. YMMV

There were bad use cases before, there are bad use cases now.

Indoor farms will be nicer, outdoor farms will be uglier in one way, nicer in another.

The only net change is that there is one less snowflake system.

Does the planned "soft landing" of the Alpha 18 mean that the first stable release comes out much earlier? :smile-new:

I believe it refers to fudge. Lots of fudge.

Does sunlight pass through bars and glass vertically? ...do crops even NEED sunlight? I wanna know if I can make a fun indoor farm room but actually make it safe.

If memory serves, the calculation is only vertical no matter what time of day it is.

Not sure about the blocks/bars though. Leaving the roof off entirely will allow the plants to grow.

There were bad use cases before, there are bad use cases now.

Indoor farms will be nicer, outdoor farms will be uglier in one way, nicer in another.

The only net change is that there is one less snowflake system.

I believe it refers to fudge. Lots of fudge.

Gazz & Madmole, it is really not just a farming issue. It happens anytime you place a block flush with the ground. Now I agree it is not a must fix bug for 18 or even 19 for that matter, but I do not think it is appropriate either for the developers to react the way you have. It should be as simple as adding a function call when placing a block to check the adjacent tiles and adjust density where necessary. Aesthetically this should be fixed prior to shipping. Perhaps everyone is overworked this close to dropping 18 which is understandable, but please believe we all just want to help improve the game and not harass you.

Archived