Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Putting back one of the old zombies from the snow biome back in the game would be so cool! Right now, all we see is that one zombie over and over. The other 2 zombies were cool. Maybe have an HD version of the female snow zombie? Maybe???

I mean, if somebody's looking for something to do in the arts department... Yeah right!

Yeah, the land of never-ending lumberjack twins does get old. Occasionally other "regular" model types show up, but mainly from within POIs, in the wild it is one model, one texture, over and over. At least one more variant, and/or more wild occurrences of the basic models used elsewhere(there may be some now, but it seemed very few to me, if any), would be helpful.

before the updates those motherfathers were bee-lining up to me like ninjas on the 3rd floor of a house in the middle of the night. Whatever Faatal did...

Roger that,

I kept up to date with info up until A17.4. I played a little of A17.3 and thats when i decided to put down the game until A18. That was the first time i ever made that decision in all the years I've been playing. Yeah that b-line crap was crazy. I do remember when Faatal talked about changing the coding for A.I. so that would no longer happen. Anything stated A17.4 until now i've missed out. I'm catching up on all my info though its just taking a minute to go through all the posts, twitters accounts, and youtube vids by TFP. A18 is looking nice :) This up coming version looks worth dropping another few thousand hours in again lol

EDIT: I believe Faatal made the change to b-lining zombies in A17.2 but i could be wrong. I have a horrible memory.

Roger that,

I kept up to date with info up until A17.4. I played a little of A17.3 and thats when i decided to put down the game until A18. That was the first time i ever made that decision in all the years I've been playing. Yeah that b-line crap was crazy. I do remember when Faatal talked about changing the coding for A.I. so that would no longer happen. Anything stated A17.4 until now i've missed out. I'm catching up on all my info though its just taking a minute to go through all the posts, twitters accounts, and youtube vids by TFP. A18 is looking nice :) This up coming version looks worth dropping another few thousand hours in again lol

Well it feels like most of them still bee-line in most situations, though I do remember some Faatal talk about introducing a percentage of "dumber" zombies into the mix. I lost track of how far that got with implementation though, and am very curious to see what things are like in A18.

They are only hard to deal with at first, for those who got used to A16 AI, which was a different challenge, especially on Blood Moons. But then, once you realize how "smart" they are, how well they path, they actually become much easier to deal with. You just exploit that, you can steer them, know where they will go, and lead them on all kinds of different paths, the most effective being a loop where they climb, fall, repeat. On BM they tend to carve a straight path to you through the spikes, but I have noticed more variation on recent BMs, like a few dif groups may try it from different directions, though that was during a BM with many other players, so it could have just been the dif directions each of our hordes came from, if that's a thing. Not sure, but overall they got some tweaking, and I imagine there'll be more to come.

On like my 3rd A17 game I had fun with the pathing, one of my fav ever base designs. I converted a house on the lake in Nav where I pathed them into my house, through my living room, upstairs onto the porch, then they fell, repeat. Most didn't even make it in the door, I did have a bit of a gauntled out front, jsut some barbed wire and a piece of e-fence, and if they did walk in the door a motion sensor turned on the blade trap. Very few ever made it up to the 2nd floor porch. I did this every Blood Moon, not just in between or with wandering hordes/screamers. I had to go out and pick off the vultures, and did still gun down and molotov, but I could also just chill inside, do other things, and pop off whatever random Z actually made it that far.

@MadMole @Roland or anyone.

I have a doubt about perks, MadMole say that level gates has been removed, but i don't know if he say what happen to the highest levels of attributes.

For example, int lvl 10 still cost 5 points/levels/ranks to unlock? (sorry i don't remember the exact number).

Thanks

This has already been answered many times. The answer is no. Their level designers don't want people to poke 1m holes through their POIs, and it would make escaping zombies too easy.

You inattentively read the text of my post?

Jumping 2+ blocks in height also goes against the design, but they are. How is one block passage worse than jumping?

Once upon a time, MM said that lockpicks in the game are unnecessary, and now we will see them in 18 Alpha.

Everything is changing =)

It would be cool if you were able to build a mega poi mansion like the one in resident evil1. Victorian mansion with a garden bush maze, fancy chandelier and a big carpeted wooden stairway.

Once the game is gold I plan on making a server and making the entire Spencer estate from the REmake. I did 95% of it on minecraft so I already have the dimensions I need. I'll release the poi in the steam workshop once it's done. Gonna need lots of manpower to get it done quick though lol

It would be cool if you were able to build a mega poi mansion like the one in resident evil1. Victorian mansion with a garden bush maze, fancy chandelier and a big carpeted wooden stairway.

You can build just about anything your heart desires. Building a replica of RE1 mansion is possible. Have you ever played this game?

I even built the "White House" on a server once. Not sure why you have this idea its not possible....

EDIT: Making a fancy chandelier I can see as being a real challenge though.

@MadMole @Roland or anyone.

I have a doubt about perks, MadMole say that level gates has been removed, but i don't know if he say what happen to the highest levels of attributes.

For example, int lvl 10 still cost 5 points/levels/ranks to unlock? (sorry i don't remember the exact number).

Thanks

Perks all cost 1 skillpoint. You must purchase them in order. Attributes have a higher cost as you progress. I believe levels 1-3 each cost 1 skillpoint to unlock and then it gets more expensive from there.

Perks are still gated by attribute level but not by player level. So for example you may need to have the 5th rank of an attribute unlocked before you can unlock the 3rd tier of a perk.

It’s basically the same skillpoint economy system as A17 minus the player level gates.

Roger that,

EDIT: I believe Faatal made the change to b-lining zombies in A17.2 but i could be wrong. I have a horrible memory.

It definitely changed a bit, I too forget which update exactly.

The few new AI things I can recall that are going to be in A18, iirc, are the aggro speed boosts, new player bread-crumb trail thing(acts like a scent trail for Z), and them ragdolling on more occasions, like walking off of rooftops and out of of windows(in A17 they just drop on their feet and keep going). MadMole has mentioned how fun that is to see a couple of times now, and we've seen some of it in the streams. All those seem like pretty substantial tweaks/growth in the behavior complexity in themselves. Oh and them fixing the explosion thing, before one z in a group would just drop, now the whole lot of them get ragdoll blasted. Fun awaits. All in all I am really looking forward to seeing the advancements of Z and more in A18.

Nice. dang i really missed a lot. The more and more I hear about the changes for A18 the more excited I get.

I've even convinced a few big Youtube content creators to try out 7D2D A18 and see if they like. One i even bought a copy of the game for but again, told him wait till the update before judging. This is how much I believe A18 will bring the game back to the glory days aka A16

EDIT: crossing fingers Neebs decides on making another 7D2D series when A18 drops :)

Not mean to break your relationship with him, but if he don`t bring you a good beer sample from there...shame, pure shame.

P.S. Uuum, @SnowDog1942, you`d better go in places where they make crafted beer, read that and enjoy.

You will thank me later.

Yeah exactly. A beer and rock sample ^-^

I was testing this game for a long time for my dedicated server, it is likely that when you approach a prefab very close to the wall, the engine continues to see the 3d model, far away and why the decline in fps? Is this engine very bad? or it is badly programmed as a friend said without offending.

:upset:

Guest Rassilon
I was testing this game for a long time for my dedicated server, it is likely that when you approach a prefab very close to the wall, the engine continues to see the 3d model, far away and why the decline in fps? Is this engine very bad? or it is badly programmed as a friend said without offending.

:upset:

It seems that you got a bad Server and it doesnt load the chunk fast enough, to load the "real" Buildings in in Time. I sometimes get this Problem when i travel ultrafast in Godmode

My verdict: BM is too easy to survive. Take whatever measures necessary making that event frightful for the players. You need to survive and not play catch and have fun with the horde.

I don't see it as doggedly as you do. It is a game and not a survival simulator. A game should be fun first and foremost.

If you think the horde night is too easy then set the difficulty higher or mod the game. You have many possibilities to customize your personal game.

I don't see it as doggedly as you do. It is a game and not a survival simulator. A game should be fun first and foremost.

If you think the horde night is too easy then set the difficulty higher or mod the game. You have many possibilities to customize your personal game.

:takes deep breath, rubs earlobes and repeats the words "whosah": <-bad boys 2 reference ;)

You do know this is a survival game right? Look at the homepage for this game.

This is literally marketed as a survival game. It is a simulated zombie survival type game.....

Thus a survival simulator.....

"Survive – Experience real hardcore survival mechanics with over 45 buff boosts/ailments along with dynamic cold and hot weather to contend with."

https://7daystodie.com/?home

:takes deep breath, rubs earlobes and repeats the words "whosah": <-bad boys 2 reference ;)

You do know this is a survival game right? Look at the homepage for this game.

This is literally marketed as a survival game. It is a simulated zombie survival type game.....

Thus a survival simulator.....

It's not a simulator. It is a game.

A simulator would try to reproduce reality as accurately as possible. A game, on the other hand, sacrifices accuracy for fun.

Of course many people, many opinions.

I try to support the game with my honest feedback.

The game is called with a reason “7 days to die”. For me it is a core statement. A frightening Blood-moon makes the game exciting for a long time to come.

You need to survive and being prepared for that terrifying day. To make it a bit salty again, BM degraded to a XP farming event. Priority and main focus during BM has to be ofc staying alive by all means at hand(weapons, traps, fortifying base, etc.) until next morning. XP increase is a decent side effect. Again my opinion of many.

Of course many people, many opinions.
many people have many different skills/playstyles/preferations

To make it a bit salty again
for you, just go to options menu and turn up difficulty.

Priority and main focus during BM must be ofc staying alive until next morning.
or is already for some people

And this isn't just my opinion but a given fact.

Please think about why does the game have to absolutely fit your level of difficulty, while it is too difficult or even jet too easy for others?

It's not a simulator. It is a game.

A simulator would try to reproduce reality as accurately as possible. A game, on the other hand, sacrifices accuracy for fun.

There's no rule saying that a simulation must be accurate at all. Only that it simulates an existing system or process.

Almost all games are simulations in one sense or another but not many simulations are games.

Almost all games are simulations in one sense or another but not many simulations are games.

PeterB's point was that the game is too easy at his optinion...just that.

No need to further argumentation about the very definition of the terms "simulation" vs "(arcade-)game"

Archived