Feedback for The Fun Pimps on Alpha 17

firstedition

Haven't made a new world in an update or two, but I think the dungeon POIs are a bit higher frequency than I'd choose...90% of my current world.

Random is random so that is possible but I would ask whether you are judging them by the outside or actually going inside. I have found quite a few updated and new POI’s that once I go inside they are not what I would call a dungeon crawl. Yes there are the obligatory cabinet sleepers and maybe some barricades strung across a hallway but otherwise very straightforward and easily cleared. I wonder if people see the new POIs and just skip assuming they are all dungeons.

My last couple maps have seemed more like 75% which for me is plenty of simple places to duck into or clear quickly without getting into a 30-45 minute long adventure.

My own little feedback post

Came back during late A16. Had a blast. I wasn't a big fan of the way crafting and such worked so I used Valmod. Loved my experience. (Just some background)

Quick question, is the issue where zombies were sensing people underground (though they shouldn't have been able to do so on non-horde nights) and just digging like mad to you still a thing? Did that get fixed in the stable version? I haven't read the notes yet, but I've been refraining from doing a whole lot of underground stuff. I had heard people were at bedrock and zombies just start pooring out of the dirt at them for no particular reason.

So for A17:

-I love the UI stuff. A widget or something showing my hunger/thirst/zombie kills would be wonderful. I mean, I'm pretty sure I can just mod that in, but it'd be nice in the base game.

-I LOVE the new perk based progression system thus far. I know a lot of people have been complaining about it. I disagree. It's kept me engaged and actively deciding if I want to be able to get that rank of Fortitude so I can get more healing next or do I want to be able to craft level 3 items now. I like it.

-I haven't made it to the new vehicles yet but they SOUND fun.

-I love how the trader is now a useful part of gameplay. Kinda weird how the women still have that same voice, but what can ya do?

-Arrow recovery. I friggin love being able to get my arrows back. From bow hunting IRL, I feel like the amount of arrows you can get out of someone is a bit low, but meh.

-All the new POIs. I love dungeon crawler games, so this new "pick a house that looks like people tried to survive in it" type thing is wonderful.

-Condensing the item levels and removing durability from clothing. I actually enjoy this change.

Meh

-The buzzards just follow you endlessly. Yes, I've read that if you keep your health above 90%, they won't do anything. I don't care for a "manage my buzzards" minigame. So they squawk forever and just follow me even when I go inside for a day? C'mon now. I like that they behave like buzzards, but that's a taaaaaad ridiculous.

-Can't really think of any other changes I'm ambivalent towards.

Dislikes and requests (requests from the community moreso)

-Damage multiplier when zim-zoombas are hitting the same block. Why would that happen? I don't enjoy that. Not because it hurts my base and I have to learn to deal with it. I don't enjoy it because if my friends and I start hitting the same piece of metal, something tells me we ain't getting a damage bonus.

Here's the ranty one where I ask the community for assistance.

-The only thing I'm not enjoying has been answered in other posts. Lemme tell ya, I'm wholly not interested in said answers. When I came back in A16, zombos couldn't dig. I was digging (hyuck) it. I mean that makes sense to me. I don't wanna hear about unintended gameplay, exploits, git gud, whatever. Keep joggin. I don't care if zom-zoms would get in a loop if they fall through a trap door. I liked the option.

I'm not turning off zombies. I like being able to raid stuff and have a threat. I also like being able to dig a foxhole and have a relative amount of safety. I LIKE having a threat to be safe from if I so put in the effort to be safe from it. I like deciding with my 7DTD buddy to build the almighty Tower of Power and fighting off the waves upon waves of zombies. I like deciding with him that we wanna make an underground nuke shelter that the zombies likely won't figure out a way into.

There are a few people that keep going from post to post, saying the same things. "I'm enjoying the new system and I'm perfectly good at it, there must be something wrong with you." Listen, telling me that I'm bad at a game or that I should like everything the way YOU like it is dumb. Don't be dumb. Resist that urge to reply. I assure you, I'm uninterested.

Again, if you have advice on how I can adapt to the new system, I'm uninterested. I'm not having fun. "But exploits are--" Don't care, not having fun. "But Jami, they didn't target your strat--" Don't care, not having fun. "This is the intende--" Oh my god, I'm not having fun. Stop making me repeat this.

So, my request is more for the community than for TFP. Previously, I've modded zombie damage to be mere humans instead of the unstoppable, stainless steel killing machines that they are. Punching steel and concrete typically doesn't go your way. So, how would I go about turning off zombie's ability to dig? Change their damage to uh... clay soil to 0? A temporary fix, I guess, would be to just eliminate blood moons. How would I go about doing either of these things?

-Damage multiplier when zim-zoombas are hitting the same block. Why would that happen? I don't enjoy that. Not because it hurts my base and I have to learn to deal with it. I don't enjoy it because if my friends and I start hitting the same piece of metal, something tells me we ain't getting a damage bonus.

Actually, if you invest in the leadership bonus from the INT tree, you will!

Sledghammer is not too powerful if anything its too weak. It's only useful on a single zombie. Next to useless on a horde because it only hits one zombie at a time.

You should actually play with the perks instead of saying stuff like this.

you can make your sledgehammer into an AOE stun weapon. It's insanely powerful. Slap an anti-rad mod in there and you can tank tier V quest POIs with ease.

In fact, they will stun other players if you get too close. My friend and I have been knocked over and stunned by my husband's hammer more than once, if we try to melee while he is!

I really don't understand some of the fury over things like improved poi "dungeons" that can be largely negated by knocking down some barbed wire and a couple of walls if you don't want to follow the path. There is so much more variety now and surely thats a good thing.

Stamina and "levelgate" aren't the colossal problem people make them out to be.

I preferred pbd and initially didn't like the new system, i barely notice it now.

Exploring is just as compelling as it ever was and changing gun parts for mods that actually improve weapons AND tools AND armour is a complete no-brainer.

The bike and motorbike are great fun and once rwg is fixed can be properly appreciated.

Please don't mess with the rng, sometimes a truly dreadful start can improve a game no end and a bit of luck can swing it right back around. Rwg and rng make the game endlessly replayable with modders extending it even further.

there were a lot of negative comments over 16.4 which is now held aloft as a beacon of all things good( i still think its great!)See how things stand by 17.4 and in a years time we can all vent at 18!

Sledghammer is not too powerful if anything its too weak. It's only useful on a single zombie. Next to useless on a horde because it only hits one zombie at a time.

Heavy Metal perk 5/5

Now your Sledge will knock all nearby zombies down (even if you just hit the wall with it!!)

It's still inferior to a club in every way, but at least it is something...

- - - Updated - - -

Turrets cause intense lag, especially auto turrets. I get good fps most of the time but throw up a few auto turrets during an x64 blood moon and forget about it... I'm playing a slide show at that point. lol

I run 4 Auto Turrets on x64 with all settings maxed except reflections, and have not experienced any lag. Footplate switches....god yes, forget it. But Turrets have been fine.

I'd understand that yelling, cursing and name calling rarely elicits the desired results.

Flies, honey and vinegar come to mind.

You know what else attracts flies? A ♥♥♥♥ game.

Mincing words rarely improves behavior. They need clear and direct feedback to understand what is wrong, why it is wrong, and how to fix it. My goal is to fix the problem, not stroke their egos and pretend to be their friend.

A. I kinda just meant we didn't have a damage bonus IRL if we start punching something. I'd rather neither of us have it, really.

B. To be clear, I'd like digging and jumping to be an option just like running.

C. Someone has now pointed out to me the Better Balance Mod. I don't like all the things it does, so I'm working on getting the bits I want from it.

Random is random so that is possible but I would ask whether you are judging them by the outside or actually going inside. I have found quite a few updated and new POI’s that once I go inside they are not what I would call a dungeon crawl. Yes there are the obligatory cabinet sleepers and maybe some barricades strung across a hallway but otherwise very straightforward and easily cleared. I wonder if people see the new POIs and just skip assuming they are all dungeons.

My last couple maps have seemed more like 75% which for me is plenty of simple places to duck into or clear quickly without getting into a 30-45 minute long adventure.

I've explored most of them (at least in my home town.) And you are right that some places that look like a dungeon aren't once you get inside. And I love the dungeons, but they can get a bit tedious at times because they're slow to clear.

That being said, I do really look forward to horde nights now (change of pace) whereas in A16 I didn't (hordes nights were more of an inconvenient interruption in A16). Now I look forward to them for the faster-paced, one-dimensional lead-slinging action and xp/points.

From my personal perspective, I think overall the balance of the game (such as daily survival vs. tower defense) has improved dramatically in A17. It's the most complete game experience IMHO to date.

Mincing words rarely improves behavior. They need clear and direct feedback to understand what is wrong, why it is wrong, and how to fix it. My goal is to fix the problem, not stroke their egos and pretend to be their friend.

Ok, so your advice as a trained psychologist is to shout obscenities at people to get their attention and cooperation. That definitely works with employees of burger restaurants in the US I've heard. Nice to hear from an expert that this works even for situations where you can't easily get someone fired. :fat:

No, it's not.

I'm a club person and I still carry one if I can.

I am a Sledge person, always have been since I started playing this game many alphas ago, until A17. Switched the Club in A17 on trying both (fully specced), and never looked back. With Flurry and Skullcrusher I can dash into a group of Feral Irradiated and head bust most of them by the time my buddy is just ending his first Sledge swing. In fact he's rather annoyed because his Heavy Metal knock down rarely procs because I have killed them all with the Club.

They need clear and direct feedback to understand what is wrong, why it is wrong, and how to fix it.

Which can actually be done without throwing a tantrum...

You should also understand that you are not the center of the universe and what you want in the game may in fact not align with everyone's viewpoint.

Of course I could be wrong, I'm not an trained psychologist....

I'd think you would know about how when you confront people aggressively they tend to go into defensive mode and stop listening to what you are saying and start defending even a faulty position.

Disappointed With 17

Sure, some of the features brought to us in the new build are cool, and have been long saught after; however, this game has been in development since 2013? -And is still in alpha...although some major improvements have been made, it pains me to turn on 17 with optimism, to find myself nearly loosing all interest in an early access I was once proud to invest my time and money in.

Even with all of the "exciting new changes" the release of 17 has brought forward, the overall feel of the game is somehow even less stable than the prior build's and has crippled the overall enjoyment of the game for me, my friends, and family.

How is it possible? Well lets discuss it:

Where did "Field of View" go? Why are we now defaulted to a disorienting view that makes me feel like I'm looking through a magnifying glass the whole time I'm playing? Where did the "toggle sprint" go? Why do we now have to hold down a button the whole time for "turbo"? Since when did optimizing the game for controllers mean leaving keyboard and mouse users in the dust? I get it. The game is also on consoles and understandably there was a push to increase controller support, but why was it done in such a way that keyboard and mouse were neglected / negatively impacted?

Sure, there are some improved textures, but why do I have almost no control over most of my games video options? Where did contrast / brightness go? Now other players just boost there gamma 100%-200% to effectively "cheat" and see in the dark and dominate the players who are trying to actually play the game correctly...I know people can tork their displays and graphic cards around this, but having an in-game option that allows it to be abused is simply opening the door for others to take advantage of.

How...and why do the zombies now stutter their animations even worse than they did in the previous builds? Often this causes misleading players in combat? I don't mind difficult, I can respect difficult, but melee has become an all around bad idea, primarily do to the jittery and unpredictable animations programmed into the base code of the game. What was wrong with the last build's animation utilization? Why was this changed, and for worse performance? It's like the animations reset halfway through at times, or are constantly out of sync with their relative actions.

For example, more often than not animations and actions don't sync properly, giving the perspective of a false delay with expected "cause an effect". The zombie swings and misses, you swing - but then take damage from a swing they already cycled a full animation for...

Try again? Sure, you swing - but even though you timed it properly with the animation, your bat hums right through the zombie's skull as if it were a ghost and the game registers what should have been a home run to the zombie's dome, it counts as a miss before the animation could catch up...

Trying to time attacks and predict dodging around a fray in 16 wasn't perfect, but playable. You could navigate melee combat or even begin to master it (even with some of the hiccups) after a few tries. However, in 17, don't bother. You will just die a victim to poor design.

Also, base building and leveling was a major boon in the previous version. The best survivors on a server would level, play smart, stealthy, and quiet - while building and stocking up masterly creative bases, often deep underground. However, in 17 - the zeds seemingly cut through concrete like it's an appetizer before gobbling your brains, leaving your few treasures easily exposed to any passer by. Many players now choose to simply float around a pond or half deep body of water as that seems to be the key to survival over living in nuclear fallout bunker build deep along the heart of the earth's crust...

Why!? Making changes to allow zombies to break through blocks easier, sure I'm on board. They should be able to dig through the ground too, absolutely! However, they shouldn't be able to eat, chew, and claw their way through Fort Knox in a single blood moon, when a player can drift around in floaties in a body of water and simply wait out the danger. That kind of ruins the point of intricate base building, at least against zeds.

This has made base building a much less important priority, and thus negatively impacted many who enjoyed planning, prepping, and constructing intricate fortresses and bunkers, which now equate to little more than a hurtle in the zeds race to your brains. Seriously...Base building and altering POI's to make them zombie resistant was provided a lot of thought and fun for survivor play styles like mine. For some of us who suck at FPS's we could turn the tables with a well defended and thought out base, which made the game so unique among the survival genres.

However, maybe it's because of the new engine, I don't know - 17 makes 7 Days feel more like a badly ported console game than it does the newest update to one of my once most favorite survival games.

You guys did an awesome job with the previous version, and some of the new features 17 brought forward are good, but to me, overall the bad outweighs the good. Hopefully you guys will take a look at large amount of negative reviews on steam since the release of 17, read over the discussions thoroughly, and make the next version (or eventual first full release of the game) less like 17 and more like 16.

I was expecting 17 to be more like a polished 16 with a significant amount of additional content, and although 17 looks nicer, all and all it's a disappointment to me and my circle of once was 7 Day gamers. We will try it a bit more, but many of us have already returned to the previous version we prefer and love, and some others have have altogether quit playing. Depending on how future development goes, I may possibly end up joining them. I should hope not as 7 Days has a tremendous amount of potential and as my steam hours will show - I've enjoyed the previous versions of the game immensely.

Fun Pimps, I love you guys, I do. I've been a big fan and a supporter for many years. I've helped fund, and purchase several copies of the early access to help expand your network and support to get this game developed. However, this this newest release is sub par, and all around not enjoyable to me nor my friends. We have been waiting for a final stable and fun version of this game with all of the promised features for years, and with the release of 17, we're clearly still not there yet and possibly still a long ways out.

I sincerely hope Fun Pimps developers will research the feedback and take the negative ones into as much consideration as the positive ones. Hopefully, the next release will be truer to the game's original feel and play-style.

Thanks for your time and efforts,

A Frustrated Longtime Supporter and Survivor,

Shackelfourd aka "Der_Nate_Kerl"

927848178_7DaysHours.jpg.95a851a1bc3e0afa0a5a04fe833e03b8.jpg

You should actually play with the perks instead of saying stuff like this.

you can make your sledgehammer into an AOE stun weapon. It's insanely powerful. Slap an anti-rad mod in there and you can tank tier V quest POIs with ease.

In fact, they will stun other players if you get too close. My friend and I have been knocked over and stunned by my husband's hammer more than once, if we try to melee while he is!

hmm... I did not notice that to be the case. I did play with basically all the perks on creative. and a lot of the perks seem broken too. I'll check again when I get the chance.

If I wanted to play Diablo, I would be playing Diablo, if I wanted to play Borderlands I would do so. Turning 7D2D into an RPG loot fest is a horrible idea, you have done nothing but slow down the game pace, since I bought it via Paypal in 2013.

I used to be able to lure my friends on (I'm almost 40 years, so it's not that easy to gather "the boys" anymore, we used to be able to do something meaningful in one evening, with a new seed. Today we need 100 hours at least, to get a cool build done.

Now you add this mind numbingly boring loot grind on top of the XP grind, I stopped playing modern RPG's and MMO's because of this very reason, hell even stopped playing FPS games, because they've also turned into RPG games, with unlocks and level BS.

New meta makes me feel like a driving salesman, just driving around, waiting for RNGeesus to deliver the items I need for sale, boring boring boring, base building is completely pointless meta wise, it steals my XP, you advertise as tower defence, in a tower defence game, you get XP for your base kills...

I completely lose my lust to keep going in a seed now, it's just a boring grind, it feels like work, not entertainment...

And now you want to add a grind for legendary gear on top of that? No thanks, you just keep making the meta worse and worse in IMHO.

Resource gathering slowed down a lot, takes forever to build a solo big concrete base now, I'm not spending 500 hours in one seed, it's ridiculous. I like to build very large, it's just not feasible to do legit solo anymore...

Not to mention that it's faster to mine rocks and grind em to sand in a mixer, that it is to actually dig up sand, makes no sense!

- POI's with big underground super labs - immersion breaking

- Radiated zombies - immersion breaking (If you know anything about biology, this just can't happen, radiation splits cells, and the Z would not

be able to move, no matter what virus it's infected with, in fact the virus will die too, it will never be sci-fi because it's not plausible)

- Cops vomiting 30 meters - immersion breaking

- Birds vomiting 30 meters - immersion breaking

- Z's destroying blocks with fingernails - immersion breaking

- Z's detecting you thru 5 layers on concrete - immersion breaking

- POI respawned because of quest - immersion breaking

- Houses having weird loot rooms - immersion breaking

- Stopping to select perks - immersion breaking

- Thinking about perks to select - immersion breaking

- having a forge inside an indestructible trader - immersion breaking (In fact none of the workstations at the trader should work, it negates your

level gates anyway, and just adds a new form of RNG!)

- Never meeting other people - immersion breaking (yes I know bandits are coming, but would be nice if you could also meet some friendly

ones, this will prolly be my saving grace for mod to my liking when this game is done, because I surely don't agree at at all with where you are

taking this game I want romero style Z's and a world like in the walking dead, it's ingrained deep in me, what zombies are from TV, when you

stray from that, it ruins my immersion, I suggest presets like on an equalizer, TFP, Romero and whatever others you can come up with,

because the settings can be quite daunting for newer players.)

- Dogs making me bleed thru a full set of armor - immersion breaking

- vending machines in private homes - immersion breaking

- Electricity working in POI's - immersion breaking

- Lights showing me the path inside POI's - immersion breaking

- Wood blocks with 10K HP to try and keep me in your POI maze - immersion breaking

- Windows made from wood, not glas again to try and keep me in your maze - immersion breaking

- POI former inhabitants defences, makes no sense compared to how you are supposed to beat Z's - immersion breaking (Would make more

sense in a regular Remoro style universe)

- screamer hordes - immersion breaking

- The heat system in general - immersion breaking

- having to open the menu to see if I'm below the treshold, for not wasting any food or drink if I consume it - immersion breaking

- Mods and perks giving super human abilities - immersion breaking

- POI's Z's respawn - immersion breaking

- amount of Z's inside a POI - immersion breaking

- Time of day affecting the light indoor, in a completely light sealed room - immersion breaking (The lighting system is still horrible, It has

nothing to do with how light acts in the real world, it's a super important part of making things look good, almost being retina burned by my

concrete base during day, is a very strange art choice, hell great architects has said that Architecture is breaking of

lightwaves in interesting patterns.

- Electricity - Turn wires into a paint on visible when wielding the wire tool, would make the block conductive when applied, this would fix most

of the tedious cablemanagement OCD people has to do.

Turrets should be able to shoot out of arrow slits and other blocks that does not break the LOS.

Electric doors with remote control ability

Remote view of cameras

Neon letters and /()-+.,=&%?!"#

Neon signs

Block creator : This would give the game almost endless possibilities, so let's say you want to create a custom block, it opens up a world that is 1000 x 1000 x 1000, in this world you will build you block from all the blocks already existing in the game, and when you are done, the game will bake your creation with appropriate hitbox into a 1x1x1 block you can place in the world.

This combined with a way customize incline and ramp angles on blocks would be great!

Love all the new decorations, love the new vehicles, love a lot of things about this alpha and have played the game for over 3K hours, I don't say these things out of spite, I say them because I care about the game, used to care a lot more tho :/

There is many more ideas but I'm just not feeling like putting in the effort...

THis forum is a standing joke in the 7D2D community, people will laugh in your face if you talk about coming here to share your ideas, the snarky remarks from devs and moderators, is what stopped me from coming here years ago.

Remember a fish rots from the head down...

Abysmal Experience

So... Just hit my first A17 death... A17.1 B9 stable is what I'm currently running.

I died... By lag... Went into a factory of some sort looking to find a pickaxe.

I don't know how the volumes are setup in some of these POIs... But I tripped all of them I think. Had 40 zombies from two different levels, one level I hadn't been on yet, start raining down on me.

My sweet PC lasted about 10 minutes into the fight. And I just couldn't barely move at one point.

PCs a mid range PC on medium settings. Definitely handled this type of thing fine in A16. Dear lord.... That was just heart wrenching. I was dancing around this true horde just fine. But just couldn't keep the frame rate up to handle it...

Makes it to my top 5 least favorite deaths, definitely in the top 10. Really hoping this performance tuning stuff lands A17.2. Was hoping for A17.2 sooner than later. Buuuuut.... Take your time guys. No rush. :-p

For what it's worth, 7D2D has both least favorite and absolute favorite game experiences of all time in the list of experiences. :-D

This one... This... Just hurt. lol. Blah.

Psychology has really come on leaps and bounds hasn't it? Apparently its now linked with the tourettes association and there are so many more "trained" psychologists to shout at those desperately in need of obscenity!

I'd think you would know about how when you confront people aggressively they tend to go into defensive mode and stop listening to what you are saying and start defending even a faulty position.

Which can actually be done without throwing a tantrum...

You should also understand that you are not the center of the universe and what you want in the game may in fact not align with everyone's viewpoint.

Of course I could be wrong, I'm not an trained psychologist....

Ok, so your advice as a trained psychologist is to shout obscenities at people to get their attention and cooperation. That definitely works with employees of burger restaurants in the US I've heard. Nice to hear from an expert that this works even for situations where you can't easily get someone fired. :fat:

I suspect you guys have a fundamentally flawed notion of what a psychologist does for a living.

I am not your therapist, I do not care about your childhood trauma, and I am definitely not here to help with your Oedipus complex.

I am talking about the mesolimbic dopamine reward circuit, which is the part of the brain that determines if an experience is fun or not.

I am talking about that little rush you get when your slot machine pays out, or you find a rare drop in a game.

That feeling is what keeps people coming back for more, not mindless grinding for hours on end and spending perk points.

I am simply stating that the old system has a much better psychological reward system, thus a richer and more rewarding game experience.

It should not be difficult to grasp that bad game design makes the game experience less rewarding and hence less fun.

This does not mean that everything about A17 is terrible, there are plenty of other improvements that are welcome additions, but the progression/perk system has definitely taken a major step backward.

This also does not preclude some people who, for whatever reason, happen to like shallow/repetitive/grindy tasks from enjoying the game as it is currently configured.

That is great, you be you.

But that subjective experience does not in any way invalidate what I am saying, which applies to the vast majority of people with normally functioning brains.

If anyone wants to have a cogent discussion on any of the salient points I brought up, go for it.

In the mean time, everyone can stop clutching their pearls and pretending that they have never heard mildly salty language on the internet before.

Archived