Feedback for The Fun Pimps on Alpha 17

firstedition

Custom block creation is easy now in 7days, FYI.

Takes but a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and btw, your entire post was a great example of a productive criticism post. Except the last paragraph. You kind of did it to yourself.

Surprise, a snarky remark is the first that appears here, thanks for proving my point.

I already told you I played for over 3K hours and you sit here and tell me I can mod the game, no ♥♥♥♥ sherlock!

I want it to be part of the vanilla game!

Surprise, a snarky remark is the first that appears here, thanks for proving my point.

I already told you I played for over 3K hours and you sit here and tell me I can mod the game, no ♥♥♥♥ sherlock!

I was feeling bad from your first post that you had maybe posted some ideas for the game and maybe I or someone else had been rudely dismissive of them.

But now I think it wasn’t that at all...’

In any case I wanted to reply to your other post and say that with the new options coming in 17.2 you will be able to change things so that destroying blocks can be easier for players but harder for zombies and increase the xp gain rate by up to 300%. So making a game that won’t require 100s of hours to get into and also zombies that can’t destroy blocks so quickly without having to mod will be in the next update. Hope that helps you and your crew enjoy it better.

I was feeling bad from your first post that you had maybe posted some ideas for the game and maybe I or someone else had been rudely dismissive of them.

In any case I wanted to reply to your other post and say that with the new options coming in 17.2 you will be able to change things so that destroying blocks can be easier for players but harder for zombies and increase the xp gain rate by up to 300%. So making a game that won’t require 100s of hours to get into and also zombies that can’t destroy blocks so quickly without having to mod will be in the next update. Hope that helps you and your crew enjoy it better.

Dude that's so awesome! I don't much care for XP changes. But the block option is freaking awesome. Mostly thinking of hard core player's. I don't fall into that camp. But those who want to make the game ridiculously hard could bump zombie block damage and reduce their own. That alone should be fairly game changing.

Any idea if that's a selective option btw? Like, are traps going to be affected by block options?

I don’t always agree with gup. Mostly because he used that creepy voice modulator once. It was creepy.

But yeah he is spot on here.

No one cares that you played 3k hours. I can claim I played WOW for 6000 hours. Is blizzard gonna listen to me?!

So, you want the ability to mod the game to be part of the vanilla game, but don't want to mod the game?

...that makes no sense. Modding IS part of the vanilla game in a17.

But again, that's not the point... your ENTIRE post was well thought out and a productive criticism of what you feel is wrong with the game, until it wasn't. You bring the "snark" and then complain about it? That's hysterical.

Here's an example.

You:

"I want a Whopper add cheese, fries and a drink, AND I EXPECT YOU TO BE AN ASS ABOUT IT. This Burger King is a joke!".

You get your Whopper with cheese, fries and a drink.

Customer behind you:

"Maybe you wouldn't have bad experiences if you weren't being a prick."

"See? You proved my point!!! This Burger King is a joke!!!"

If I wanted to play Diablo, I would be playing Diablo, if I wanted to play Borderlands I would do so. Turning 7D2D into an RPG loot fest is a horrible idea, you have done nothing but slow down the game pace, since I bought it via Paypal in 2013.

I used to be able to lure my friends on (I'm almost 40 years, so it's not that easy to gather "the boys" anymore, we used to be able to do something meaningful in one evening, with a new seed. Today we need 100 hours at least, to get a cool build done.

Now you add this mind numbingly boring loot grind on top of the XP grind, I stopped playing modern RPG's and MMO's because of this very reason, hell even stopped playing FPS games, because they've also turned into RPG games, with unlocks and level BS.

New meta makes me feel like a driving salesman, just driving around, waiting for RNGeesus to deliver the items I need for sale, boring boring boring, base building is completely pointless meta wise, it steals my XP, you advertise as tower defence, in a tower defence game, you get XP for your base kills...

I completely lose my lust to keep going in a seed now, it's just a boring grind, it feels like work, not entertainment...

And now you want to add a grind for legendary gear on top of that? No thanks, you just keep making the meta worse and worse in IMHO.

Resource gathering slowed down a lot, takes forever to build a solo big concrete base now, I'm not spending 500 hours in one seed, it's ridiculous. I like to build very large, it's just not feasible to do legit solo anymore...

Not to mention that it's faster to mine rocks and grind em to sand in a mixer, that it is to actually dig up sand, makes no sense!

- POI's with big underground super labs - immersion breaking

- Radiated zombies - immersion breaking (If you know anything about biology, this just can't happen, radiation splits cells, and the Z would not

be able to move, no matter what virus it's infected with, in fact the virus will die too, it will never be sci-fi because it's not plausible)

- Cops vomiting 30 meters - immersion breaking

- Birds vomiting 30 meters - immersion breaking

- Z's destroying blocks with fingernails - immersion breaking

- Z's detecting you thru 5 layers on concrete - immersion breaking

- POI respawned because of quest - immersion breaking

- Houses having weird loot rooms - immersion breaking

- Stopping to select perks - immersion breaking

- Thinking about perks to select - immersion breaking

- having a forge inside an indestructible trader - immersion breaking (In fact none of the workstations at the trader should work, it negates your

level gates anyway, and just adds a new form of RNG!)

- Never meeting other people - immersion breaking (yes I know bandits are coming, but would be nice if you could also meet some friendly

ones, this will prolly be my saving grace for mod to my liking when this game is done, because I surely don't agree at at all with where you are

taking this game I want romero style Z's and a world like in the walking dead, it's ingrained deep in me, what zombies are from TV, when you

stray from that, it ruins my immersion, I suggest presets like on an equalizer, TFP, Romero and whatever others you can come up with,

because the settings can be quite daunting for newer players.)

- Dogs making me bleed thru a full set of armor - immersion breaking

- vending machines in private homes - immersion breaking

- Electricity working in POI's - immersion breaking

- Lights showing me the path inside POI's - immersion breaking

- Wood blocks with 10K HP to try and keep me in your POI maze - immersion breaking

- Windows made from wood, not glas again to try and keep me in your maze - immersion breaking

- POI former inhabitants defences, makes no sense compared to how you are supposed to beat Z's - immersion breaking (Would make more

sense in a regular Remoro style universe)

- screamer hordes - immersion breaking

- The heat system in general - immersion breaking

- having to open the menu to see if I'm below the treshold, for not wasting any food or drink if I consume it - immersion breaking

- Mods and perks giving super human abilities - immersion breaking

- POI's Z's respawn - immersion breaking

- amount of Z's inside a POI - immersion breaking

- Time of day affecting the light indoor, in a completely light sealed room - immersion breaking (The lighting system is still horrible, It has

nothing to do with how light acts in the real world, it's a super important part of making things look good, almost being retina burned by my

concrete base during day, is a very strange art choice, hell great architects has said that Architecture is breaking of

lightwaves in interesting patterns.

- Electricity - Turn wires into a paint on visible when wielding the wire tool, would make the block conductive when applied, this would fix most

of the tedious cablemanagement OCD people has to do.

Turrets should be able to shoot out of arrow slits and other blocks that does not break the LOS.

Electric doors with remote control ability

Remote view of cameras

Neon letters and /()-+.,=&%?!"#

Neon signs

Block creator : This would give the game almost endless possibilities, so let's say you want to create a custom block, it opens up a world that is 1000 x 1000 x 1000, in this world you will build you block from all the blocks already existing in the game, and when you are done, the game will bake your creation with appropriate hitbox into a 1x1x1 block you can place in the world.

This combined with a way customize incline and ramp angles on blocks would be great!

Love all the new decorations, love the new vehicles, love a lot of things about this alpha and have played the game for over 3K hours, I don't say these things out of spite, I say them because I care about the game, used to care a lot more tho :/

There is many more ideas but I'm just not feeling like putting in the effort...

THis forum is a standing joke in the 7D2D community, people will laugh in your face if you talk about coming here to share your ideas, the snarky remarks from devs and moderators, is what stopped me from coming here years ago.

Remember a fish rots from the head down...

What you describe sounds like an awesome game. Like a zombie apocalypse survival sim. A cross between Walking Dead and the Omega Man. I'd certainly play that game. I don't think 7dtd is striving to be that game however.

Someone should pay heed that there seems to be quite a niche market for a game like that based on all the feedback I've been seeing since A17 came out.

Like someone else said, the last paragraph was just unnecessary in an otherwise awesome post.

- POI's with big underground super labs - immersion breaking

- Radiated zombies - immersion breaking (If you know anything about biology, this just can't happen, radiation splits cells, and the Z would not

be able to move, no matter what virus it's infected with, in fact the virus will die too, it will never be sci-fi because it's not plausible)

- Cops vomiting 30 meters - immersion breaking

- Birds vomiting 30 meters - immersion breaking

- Z's destroying blocks with fingernails - immersion breaking

- Z's detecting you thru 5 layers on concrete - immersion breaking

- POI respawned because of quest - immersion breaking - The way traders are done are really bad and we need options to turn them off.

- Houses having weird loot rooms - immersion breaking

- Stopping to select perks - immersion breaking

- Thinking about perks to select - immersion breaking

- having a forge inside an indestructible trader - immersion breaking (In fact none of the workstations at the trader should work, it negates your

level gates anyway, and just adds a new form of RNG!) Easy fix with an edit

- Never meeting other people - immersion breaking (yes I know bandits are coming, but would be nice if you could also meet some friendly

ones, this will prolly be my saving grace for mod to my liking when this game is done, because I surely don't agree at at all with where you are

taking this game I want romero style Z's and a world like in the walking dead, it's ingrained deep in me, what zombies are from TV, when you

stray from that, it ruins my immersion, I suggest presets like on an equalizer, TFP, Romero and whatever others you can come up with,

because the settings can be quite daunting for newer players.)

- Dogs making me bleed thru a full set of armor - immersion breaking - Agree but for game play reasons I can live with it

- vending machines in private homes - immersion breaking - Agree

- Electricity working in POI's - immersion breaking - Agree

- Lights showing me the path inside POI's - immersion breaking - I never follow this so called path and its not so profound as you make it sound.

- Wood blocks with 10K HP to try and keep me in your POI maze - immersion breaking - Never seen this

- Windows made from wood, not glas again to try and keep me in your maze - immersion breaking - Disagree for the most part. Makes me feel the people were bording up their houses for protection.

- screamer hordes - immersion breaking - disagree

- The heat system in general - immersion breaking - disagree again though needs some tweaks.

- having to open the menu to see if I'm below the treshold, for not wasting any food or drink if I consume it - immersion breaking - Tons of UI mods geez nit picking here.

- Mods and perks giving super human abilities - immersion breaking - Hard to comment on this for you don't list any. I have yet to see any that don't make sense for good game play

- POI's Z's respawn - immersion breaking - We would run out of zombies this makes no sense for good game play

- amount of Z's inside a POI - immersion breaking - As I go through your post it seems your looking for a perfect game that will never exist for game play reasons. The ones I didn't answer are just silly for the most part for game play reasons.

Posts like these make me glad I never went in to game design you will never please them all. I responded to a few of them.

I don't understand what was so great about Mad_Dane's post. There was a little bit of constructive critique, but otherwise a lot of overreaction and the same useless "immersion breaking" statement. *shrug*

I would not even know where to begin to make you understand since you feel immersion is "useless". Lights on every ruined POI is far from game breaking to me (dude I have 3000+ hrs in this game since A15) but I would personally rather find the world dark and have to work towards bringing the light to it. Maybe try replacing the word immersion with atmosphere. I like the atmosphere of a more realistic scenario. Vomiting vulteres and lights on everywhere disturbed that scene for me.

That you feel his comment was "overreaction" is a hurdle we could never overcome in a discussion about it because saying something is bad is just feedback, saying I'm quitting the game, TFP ruined my life and they are all incompetent is more like what I'd describe as overreaction. (totally not saying you ever implied that, just making the distinction.)

Again I really like 7dtd. I play it a lot and haven't found any game closer to what I'd enjoy. The perfect game would be 7dtd without the tower defense elements, a bit more depth in combat and maybe some community building like in the game State of Decay.

It seems like you are saying anyone who does not like something in the game you find doesn't bother you is overreacting.

I would not even know where to begin to make you understand since you feel immersion is "useless". Lights on every ruined POI is far from game breaking to me (dude I have 3000+ hrs in this game since A15) but I would personally rather find the world dark and have to work towards bringing the light to it. Maybe try replacing the word immersion with atmosphere. I like the atmosphere of a more realistic scenario. Vomiting vulteres and lights on everywhere disturbed that scene for me.

Did you read the list of things that were "immersion breaking" for him? Seriously, many of them are core elements of the game. At that point, he might as well just go play a different game. It would be like playing Mario and saying, "I like the idea of platform levels and playing toward a big boss, but it's immersion breaking that a plumber is rescuing a princess from a weird dinosaur thing." There are other platform games; go play them.

And I didn't say that "immersion" is useless; I said that his repeated comment was useless. Not only because of my above paragraph, but also because it doesn't say what would be more immersive. Every time he wrote, "immersion breaking," substitute "crap." You would get the same information from it.

That you feel his comment was "overreaction" is a hurdle we could never overcome in a discussion about it because saying something is bad is just feedback, saying I'm quitting the game, TFP ruined my life and they are all incompetent is more like what I'd describe as overreaction. (totally not saying you ever implied that, just making the distinction.)

He says that it would take 100 hours to get a cool build, that he has to drive all over the place just to get what he wants, that base building is completely pointless, and that it takes forever to build a solo big concrete base (500 hours?). I call them "overreactions" because they don't correspond to reality (and he uses extreme language, for crying out loud). All TFP has done is lengthen the curve a little bit. It is still really easy to get past the break-even point where anything you want to do is within reach. You know how I know? Because people do it. It seems like this guy just won't play long enough to get there (maybe because the whole game is "immersion breaking" to him.)

It seems like you are saying anyone who does not like something in the game you find doesn't bother you is overreacting.

Hardly. I didn't even comment on where I agree or disagree, so it would be difficult for you to make this claim. Somebody who uses hyperbolic language to describe a reality that they clearly have not experienced firsthand: that's overreaction.

The fact that I click a mouse to swing a club. Immersion breaking

The fact that when i die in game I dont die in real life. Immersion breaking

The fact that I can run in the game while sitting in a chair, immersion breaking

The fact that immersion is important to anyone when they know its just a game where u are a super hero slaying zombies and building massive structures even by yourself, immersion breaking

Please fix TFP

The fact that I can run in the game while sitting in a chair, immersion breaking

The fact that immersion is important to anyone when they know its just a game where u are a super hero slaying zombies and building massive structures even by yourself, immersion breaking

Please fix TFP

SOrry to hear that you cant reach a immersive perception.

Please fix TFP

The fact that i can still play Alpha 10.4. Immersion regained. :)

thanks for the news btw roland, been staying away from the game for afew months now because it was becomming too much a grind fest for me and constant base maintenence, but once this next update comes out with the new options i think I'll try it out

How do you feel about the fact you can mine rocks all day then become a better swimmer as a consequence? Immersion breaking for you at all? ;P

I Play 7 Days to build bases. Now i have to grind out 100 levels so it doesn't feel like like i'm wasting my time. Every aspect is a waste of time, mining is slower, forges are level gated. I feel like i am wasting my life with work and not "playing".

I really do not get this. I'm level ~37 and I have most of the strength perks related to mining. Mining is a breeze, no 100 levels required. I guess it would take more to get the requisite INT perks, unless you're strategic with magazines and in-world forges. Still, double the levels, and you aren't at 100.

... super snip ...

I stopped playing modern RPG's and MMO's because of this very reason, hell even stopped playing FPS games, because they've also turned into RPG games, with unlocks and level BS.

... super snip ...

So yeah. Kinda went off the rails there a bit. But this I am in 100% agreement with. And 7D2D has been great at filling in for what most other games have pushed me out of. Game play.

I... I just want to play a game man. I... I got a job. Kids... Wife... Bills... I HAVE a grind. lol.

TFP already has my money. And maybe their aiming for the huge MMO/RPG group of players now as that's probably a much bigger market for them now. Especially since most of us who wanted a 7D2D like it's been but tuned with more features... Already bought it. *shrug*

The skill system really does feel more like a face lift from "the norm"... kinda for the sake of doing the face lift and giving a norm to the masses. Didn't really seem necessary.

I Play 7 Days to build bases. Now i have to grind out 100 levels so it doesn't feel like like i'm wasting my time. Every aspect is a waste of time, mining is slower, forges are level gated. I feel like i am wasting my life with work and not "playing".

I really don't understand that sort of complain. Give yourself 100 skill points or 100 lvls and you'll have exactly the game you want. It takes 10 seconds.

Did you read the list of things that were "immersion breaking" for him? Seriously, many of them are core elements of the game. At that point, he might as well just go play a different game. It would be like playing Mario and saying, "I like the idea of platform levels and playing toward a big boss, but it's immersion breaking that a plumber is rescuing a princess from a weird dinosaur thing." There are other platform games; go play them.

The fact of anything he listed being a core element of the game is irrelevant. He stated his opinion. People thought learn by doing and being safe underground were core elements of the game too and that was changed.

And I didn't say that "immersion" is useless; I said that his repeated comment was useless. Not only because of my above paragraph, but also because it doesn't say what would be more immersive. Every time he wrote, "immersion breaking," substitute "crap." You would get the same information from it.

Fair enough about your comment, I suppose I misunderstood that. The end of your paragraph though descends into the hyperbolic language you commented about.

He says that it would take 100 hours to get a cool build, that he has to drive all over the place just to get what he wants, that base building is completely pointless, and that it takes forever to build a solo big concrete base (500 hours?). I call them "overreactions" because they don't correspond to reality (and he uses extreme language, for crying out loud). All TFP has done is lengthen the curve a little bit. It is still really easy to get past the break-even point where anything you want to do is within reach. You know how I know? Because people do it. It seems like this guy just won't play long enough to get there (maybe because the whole game is "immersion breaking" to him.)

We certainly came away with different perceptions of what he wrote. There is certainly good and bad to be found. Your orginal pithy comment that I first responded to lacked these kind of details and was an outright dismissal.

I found many things to agree with as far as my personal tastes. My takeaway was he didn't like digging zombies, zombies chewing through steel, vomiting zombies, special zombies in general, mysterious electric lights everywhere, radar guided zombies and other things like that. I did point out his last paragraph was hyperbolic but as far as his opinions go I understand where he's coming from and I agree with much of it. It's just not what this game is going to be from everything I've read from TFP's and said as much.

Hardly. I didn't even comment on where I agree or disagree, so it would be difficult for you to make this claim. Somebody who uses hyperbolic language to describe a reality that they clearly have not experienced firsthand: that's overreaction.

I dunno, the overall tone of your response leads me to my original conclusion. I mean using words like useless and crap sort of imply disagreement. I can now see exactly what sort of things you disagree with him on. I'm not sure over reaction is the word I used but fair enough we all communicate differently.

Hyperbole can be a useful tool much like understatement. Not everyone is a professional writer and I felt he was sincere at least.

We are anonymous people communicating via text so I'll take you on your word that wasn't your intent and concede it could be a misunderstanding. I've gone much further in defending another post than I ever wanted to but you took the time to respond thoughtfully so I felt I should reciprocate.

Please fix TFP

You just won the internet!

cookie.jpg.b7630eb41b5280c441b17293c36817d7.jpg

So, you want the ability to mod the game to be part of the vanilla game, but don't want to mod the game?

...that makes no sense. Modding IS part of the vanilla game in a17.

But again, that's not the point... your ENTIRE post was well thought out and a productive criticism of what you feel is wrong with the game, until it wasn't. You bring the "snark" and then complain about it? That's hysterical.

Here's an example.

You:

"I want a Whopper add cheese, fries and a drink, AND I EXPECT YOU TO BE AN ASS ABOUT IT. This Burger King is a joke!".

You get your Whopper with cheese, fries and a drink.

Customer behind you:

"Maybe you wouldn't have bad experiences if you weren't being a prick."

"See? You proved my point!!! This Burger King is a joke!!!"

8wYoHTG.gif

The fact of anything he listed being a core element of the game is irrelevant. He stated his opinion. People thought learn by doing and being safe underground were core elements of the game too and that was changed.

Those people would be wrong (and, aside, I don't think that's an accurate representation). He claimed as immersion breaking "Z's destroying blocks with fingernails," "Z's detecting you thru 5 layers of concrete," and "the heat system in general." Without those, there is no game, as in, it would be a pointless sandbox game with no reason to build any sort of defense. (The last two are a bit of an overstatement anyway. Romero style zombies would relentlessly pursue something that they sensed or that got their attention. Hence the wandering horde that finds Rick Grimes & Co. on the farm in season 2 of TWD.)

Fair enough about your comment, I suppose I misunderstood that. The end of your paragraph though descends into the hyperbolic language you commented about.

I'm not tracking with you on that one.

We certainly came away with different perceptions of what he wrote. There is certainly good and bad to be found. Your original pithy comment that I first responded to lacked these kind of details and was an outright dismissal.

The impetus was people saying, "Great post." I daresay I gave more details than they did about why I was confused by that assessment. It was an invitation for greater detail from those who thought it was so great.

I dunno, the overall tone of your response leads me to my original conclusion. I mean using words like useless and crap sort of imply disagreement. I can now see exactly what sort of things you disagree with him on. I'm not sure over reaction is the word I used but fair enough we all communicate differently.

Hyperbole can be a useful tool much like understatement. Not everyone is a professional writer and I felt he was sincere at least.

Again, "useless" and "crap" merely were comments on the quality of his feedback, not his specific qualms. There have been times when I have agreed with somebody on their conclusion, but I told them that they should come up with a better argument to support their position.

Hyperbole can be useful, that's why I qualified [my definition of overreaction] with "not experienced firsthand." If somebody said, "Roller coasters are the dumbest thing in the world" without ever having ridden one, I would say that their use of hyperbole was pretty useless.

We are anonymous people communicating via text so I'll take you on your word that wasn't your intent and concede it could be a misunderstanding. I've gone much further in defending another post than I ever wanted to but you took the time to respond thoughtfully so I felt I should reciprocate.

I'm just trying to be understood since my inquiring statement obviously did not elicit the response that I hoped. We can be done (or not). It has been civil, and that's laudable.

Archived