You can't say that this not purposefully punative.

CoolJ

I'm proud that you would have done things differently. I totally agree that video games aren't for this guy who runs a gaming channel with 800,000+ subscribers. What is he thinking trying to play 7D2D?

"Oh, they set the game up for me to solve a problem but I failed... what a stupid idea...I should be able to kill everything mindlessly with a mining tool."

He complains for half of the video about something that could very obviously be handled by taking a moment to think about the situation. After the first death think about a strategy.. not get trapped in the corner and die.. then rush in and die again(hurting himself in the process, no less.)

A channel with 800K subs over 5 years is noteworthy, but it lends you no credibility when you die repeatedly in a situation you were not prepared to handle and then complain about hitboxes incessantly. If you can't problem solve on the fly, asking the devs to nerf mechanics that other people have no issues with is a braindead response. Maybe try a different approach? Maybe be prepared to defend yourself in POIs?

A youtube channel was suspended due to it being centered around pranks that were classified as child abuse.. It had many subs. Stay on youtube long enough and people will sub to your channel. I had a channel with 5 short music videos i didn't care about... I only wanted to share these vids with my friends. It had 1k subs. Subs are free... they mean absolutely nothing.

I learned that jumping makes enough noise to awaken zombies even though chopping doors does not. To the person who suggested ladders and ramps, thanks for the tips. I'm going to try exploring my next POI without jumping and see how it goes.

No problem. Learned it at level 1. I often break windows at the early levels, cause it is easier, than breaking doors. After few attempts at jumping in, I learned, that jumping is now equal to screaming as loud as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

He complains for half of the video about something that could very obviously be handled by taking a moment to think about the situation. After the first death think about a strategy.. not get trapped in the corner and die.. then rush in and die again(hurting himself in the process, no less.)

To be fair, thats what makes his playstyle entertaining and ours not. I dont think people would be very interested at watching me taking my time and carefully checking every corner. After few poi visits they would just get bored.

I'm proud that you would have done things differently. I totally agree that video games aren't for this guy who runs a gaming channel with 800,000+ subscribers. What is he thinking trying to play 7D2D?

Hint for ya - Playing badly is often better for an entertaining video......

The Duke's men took five infected prisoners, slit their throats, and stashed them up there as a trap for unsuspecting survivors not part of their faction.

This almost looks like a retcon, but there's no lore to retcon on yet, so anything goes. Smart! :D

Ktr:

Yes. YOU as a player expect it, either because you have played this or similar games a lot or you are generally more cautious...

But there is no in-game reason for loot to attract zombies.

They are no predator!

They should be where:

They lived/died, there is food/smell, or on the move looking for pray.

Have you watched The Girl With All The Gifts? If not, you should, I'd say it's the best zombie movie since 28 Days Later, but people don't look at it because of the title.

Sleeper zombies in that movie are the creepiest damn thing you will ever see. And they're not there because they died there, or because there is still food. They're there because they're in sleep mode. Conservation. There's no reason for them to move, so they don't until something triggers them. They cluster up in areas and then shut down. There's no point running all over the countryside, wearing everything down if there's nothing to hunt. And the zombies in this game (weirdly) don't seem to care about animals.

A channel with 800K subs over 5 years is noteworthy, but it lends you no credibility when you die repeatedly in a situation you were not prepared to handle and then complain about hitboxes incessantly. If you can't problem solve on the fly, asking the devs to nerf mechanics that other people have no issues with is a braindead response. Maybe try a different approach? Maybe be prepared to defend yourself in POIs?

I don't think anybody is disagreeing that he made a series of dumb choices. He admits it himself and acknowledges he's a casual player.

Did he ask the devs to nerf the mechanics? Because I don't think he did. He complained that that having a broad swinging melee weapon miss if the crosshair is not directly over the target is just bad and unintuitive gameplay. He argued that stealth was very important, yet the stealth mechanics were poorly implemented. In the end he said that the gameplay needs to be smoother and properly balanced and that he expected better from a game which has been in development for so long.

mechanics that other people have no issues with is a braindead response.

Do you actually believe that nobody has issues with these mechanics? Do you really believe that?

I really wish people would stop humble bragging their hours in game or that they played pre-alpha.

As if that means you are a great player or have some secret sauce others don't. All it can mean is you spent 4000 hours sucking at the game and not learning a single thing.

Go ask Sisyphus how many hours he spent trying to get up that hill.

How about this?

After a brush with a zombie and unknowingly already infected, they took refuge in a nearby home, removed the false ceiling, crawled up there to hide and replaced the ceiling panel behind them.

Maybe a stretch but still plausible?

The Duke's men took five infected prisoners, slit their throats, and stashed them up there as a trap for unsuspecting survivors not part of their faction.

Absolutely plausible, without a story in place anything can be made up. Doesn't mean it's a good idea always. However it's less of an issue of plausibility than what "feels" right (which admittedly is individual!). You could argue the the duke kidnapped 30 prisoners from far away countries and put in ever town house too. And weakened all the floor boards in key positions. And ... and ...and. But at some point it becomes too much perhaps? :)

If you raid 10 houses, and 9 of those seem to have "purposely crafted death traps" then sure the Duke can be blamed for everything, but players start feeling it's a fight vs developers, not a fight vs zombies. At the same time, it has to be challenging. So I know it's not an easy thing to get right.

A somewhat analogy I might use of screechy sudden jump scares to frighten the audience in a horror movie. Not because it was realistic or logical or called for, but coz it's a cheap trick to get the audience a heart attack. You can do it, but eventually people get bored of it, or stop watching, as it takes the focus away from the story when there's cheap tricks continually to startle, rather than having a scary movie through story, setting, atmosphere.

All I hope is that it's taken into account, and make sure it hits the right balance. If "now" is seen as the right balance, then alright. I just (and none of us players have played enough) keep hearing people feeling it's frustrating rather than enjoyable, so I take the feedback seriously and consider it :)

/V -

but players start feeling it's a fight vs developers, not a fight vs zombies.

THIS. So much this.

A17 has become a fight vs developers. Levelgates are put there by devs without ingame explanation.

Zombietraps that make no sense. Jumping is one of the loudest sounds ingame and wakes up every sleeper in 90 mile radius (you cant clear any poi silently because even those that have a path need jumps)

This started way back in A15 with random landmines in wasteland and on top of cranes and random POIs (to be fair... Boobytrap was pretty funny... )

Good example: the chemistry tower (no idea what its actually called) it makes sense how its structured. Stuff collapsed, last barricade with mines and spikes and so on.

Bad example: Book tower (there is a 3x3 that simply collapses without any reason)

Bad example: nearly every new poi, where zombies are inside walls and there are like 5 in a one room POI with one bed (do i wanna know the apocalyptic things they did?) Random deathtraps that neither have a reason or are somehow preparable

Intuitive world and counterplay are two things you SHOULD NEVER sacrifice for forced difficulty.

Losing HP and doesn't use pills

No bandages on hot bar to stop bleed

Weapons on toolbar that are not used

Lots of arrows but keeps attacking with pick

Wanders into rooms without an exit strategy

Fires bow at dog and misses completely from point blank

Seems to have all this cool loot but based in a crap lightly defended POI

That's my observations from 2 mins of flicking through video. Refuse to watch 30 mins of that.

Do you know how people get good at games? Every time bad stuff happens they don't blame the devs, they wonder what they did wrong and how they could do better next time. Not a bad attitude to have outside of gaming either.

I feel like this is the exact reason why so many people hate zombie dogs.

Zombiedogs and wolves:

faster then the player

super small making it difficult to see them

weird hitbox (bites go through even though they are over 1/2 block away)

nearly every atk is a bleed (on its own realistic and understandable)

spawn from very early on, which means the first encounter often happens when you have only bow&arrow

completely silent when in a "wandering horde" meaning you have no way of hiding

THAT is why I hate dogs.

Yes I cna mostly manage. But they are no fun. They give me no counterplay except "see them first or die" (or use frames to get the highground, which I count as A.I. exploit)

I have found methods of dealling with them. But most of them are abusing bad AI or other systems (like temporary stun when HS, kiting them)

Its not like a zombiecop for instance.

Danger: super high damage, projectiles mean you aren't safe on range, explodes on death, killing you or weakening your defenses

counterplay: very loud!, slow, projectiles can be dodged when you focus on him, explosion oftentimes also kills zombies around him

Do you see the difference?

One is high danger, high counterplay, high reward, the other is high danger, near 0 counterplay, 0 reward.

One is high danger, high counterplay, high reward, the other is high danger, near 0 counterplay, 0 reward.

Also travelling in packs. They feel more like artificial homing missiles than dogs/wolves. Could be more "natural" - for example they could approach you slowly at first while growling and then attacking you straight on after a small delay.

I have encountered dozens of dogs and wolves in A17 (freaking pack while I was digging for treasure), but I just pop up and run as soon as they come, sometimes after a first bite. I have not died. I have not used frames.

I don't see the big deal. I think they were harder in past alphas.

I don't see the big deal. I think they were harder in past alphas.

Yes and no.

In A17 attacking is... weird for every enemy.

That is why vultures just fly like a homing hummingbird missle behind you. Or why no zombie ever hits you (non running ones) if you kite them.

Their attack radius is super small and they will stop their attack if you go outside that radius in the first 0.5 sec. (with zombies you can nicely see it, when they rais an arm to attack but somehow dont attack afterwards)

But this is something Isuspect will be fixed in the full release. And then my statements are correct again.

Did he ask the devs to nerf the mechanics? Because I don't think he did. He complained that that having a broad swinging melee weapon miss if the crosshair is not directly over the target is just bad and unintuitive gameplay. He argued that stealth was very important, yet the stealth mechanics were poorly implemented. In the end he said that the gameplay needs to be smoother and properly balanced and that he expected better from a game which has been in development for so long.

So he is another one who can't fully grasp the meaning of an experimental or EA.

Apart from that this thread happened not because of him directly but because one of his followers took the video as proof that "You can't because it's clear that the entire purpose of this player trap is to ensure that you die and that you can never retrieve your stuff.". Which the video can't prove when the player makes dozens of relatively obvious mistakes. Why he does them doesn't matter really.

well, partiallyroyal (the maker of the vid) isnt really known to be a skilled player. He thinks he is a pro and have a very loyal fanbase where OP obviously is a member. I used to check him out quite some time back, but totally stopped when he declared he was gomg to be top 10 pubg/fortnite player in the world. Not much happend there as expected. But still he has, a probably very young, loyal fanbase.

I came to post something similar. When he used to play with Kage and Star he was always the one holding the other two back. He was never prepared and seldom helped with anything. If one of the other guys got something good he usually tried to weasel it off them. It's no big surprise he's having a hard time.

The guy on the video reminded me of RongoTheBold on that one episode he did where he got owned by a hornet around 7 times in a row.

The difference is that Rongo laughed it out, as he knew it was his own fault for coming back to his packpack nonstop and getting killed because of that.

Here's the video, in case anyone wants to have a good time, and you can appreciate the difference with the other guy (the carnage starts at about 10 minutes):

for those that want it timestamp on video is 13:00 and he confirms he's a idiot at 18:00 and besides who has drop all on death option on? on a Experimental Build?.

The OP makes so many newbie mistakes its cringeworthy just watching this!. The Op is either (1) a very casual player (2) burnt out and looking for a reason not to play? (3) Got a agenda? People were warned not to play at their normal levels as the zombies had been ramped up eg better pathfinding etc.... My low level layout is stone axe,bow, Iron reinforced club, bandages,drinks and food plus any weapons I have ammo for?. If this had been me I would have got my stuff after the 1st death and looked for easier pickings elsewhere?. And before anyone accuses me of being a fanboi I hate that MM have removed our ability to make treehouse's completely I also dont like the fact that certain perks are level gated but thats the game atm IF you dont like it revert to playing A16 and maybe play one of the many good mods like undead legacy or war of the walkers? But I get the distinct impression that as a Youtuber your trying to cash in on the popularity of 7 days A17 release and get them views? But you probably haven't played in quite awhile and either cant or wont adapt to the new game mechanics and just having a Bitch fit over having been made to look like a average player like the rest of us in front of your audience and are now throwing a millennial hissy fit over it?.

"i'm a superduper youtuber and can play any game at insane difficulty and still win it!" doesn't wash mate as others would say - Get Guud or as a friend of mine quotes "ALL YOU NEED IS SHIV!"

(4) simply frustrated by the horrible game design that TFPs have implemented in their previous marble of a game.

Yes he did some mistakes. That does not negate his points. How is anyone STILL attacking him?

I mean seriously. A17 is a mess. And people who say "oh its just experimental" were probably the ppl saying "oh the Fallout 76 beta is just a beta! They will fix things before it goes live!"

Look. Its not that it is one or two bugs. It is the entire gamedesign behind A17:

harder, not better.

Yes it became harder. But not in a good way. As I have pointed out MULTIPLE times, there is a fine balance between world integrity/imersion, difficulty and counterplay.

They have thrown out integrity of the world (by levelgating and putting random zombies where they shouldnt be, just to surprise you) and immersion as well as counterplay (you often do not see those zombies until its too late. And no jumping/making noise will probably not be in there forever to bait them out beforehand (because it defeats the whole point of jumpscares/point for point exploration)

If the texture of a block is 100% the same with no borders or sign of destability, having that block break INSTANTLY (without creeking first) for you to fall into traps/death/harmful situation, that is lack of counterplay. If it cracks/looks like it but it is in a steel building (steel shouldn't be able to collapse in a few centuries) then it is bad worldbuilding. But most of the stuff is bad worldbuilding AND lack of counterplay (except for abusing bugs like jumping triggering all zombies in a poi), which has nothing to do with the quality of a player.

Imagine walking through the snow biome and instantly dying to a random landmine that is not part of some military camp or a last stand for a survivor. You have no way of seeing it (no counterplay) and it has no reason to be there. (hyperthetical example)

But it gives the illusion of difficulty. And that seems to be all TFPs care about.

What I would recommend to any poi explorer is to forget jumps altogether. They trigger all zeds around ya. What I have been doing this alpha is carrying ~200 wood with me all the time. To make ramp frames and ladders. This way you can navigate the poi without waking most of the zombies. Even power attack axe on the door wont wake them up. But a small fall from the table to the floor would wake up whole house. Pickaxe does wake up zeds tho.

See now this is the sort of thing that just baffles me how anybody could come up with a design like that. How is there any basis in any sort of physical world in which any of that makes sense? For example: I just jumped. There's people awake within 15 feet of me. No one heard it. I guess I could take an axe to my door or start attaching a ladder to the wall but I think we all know how that would go.

See now this is the sort of thing that just baffles me how anybody could come up with a design like that. How is there any basis in any sort of physical world in which any of that makes sense? For example: I just jumped. There's people awake within 15 feet of me. No one heard it. I guess I could take an axe to my door or start attaching a ladder to the wall but I think we all know how that would go.

Yeah, silly, People should be able to navigate high ground silently. Like you CAN stretch your leg higher, irl. Or even climb. But nope. Only forced jump, that wakes up whole house.

Archived