You can't say that this not purposefully punative.

CoolJ

Imagine walking through the snow biome and instantly dying to a random landmine that is not part of some military camp or a last stand for a survivor. You have no way of seeing it (no counterplay) and it has no reason to be there. (hyperthetical example)

But it gives the illusion of difficulty. And that seems to be all TFPs care about.

What about in the wasteland biome where I similarly have no way of seeing it? (Really happened.) Was I mad? Nah. I was more cautious from then on when walking through that biome.

If the texture of a block is 100% the same with no borders or sign of destability, having that block break INSTANTLY (without creeking first) for you to fall into traps/death/harmful situation, that is lack of counterplay. If it cracks/looks like it but it is in a steel building (steel shouldn't be able to collapse in a few centuries) then it is bad worldbuilding. But most of the stuff is bad worldbuilding AND lack of counterplay (except for abusing bugs like jumping triggering all zombies in a poi), which has nothing to do with the quality of a player.

I do agree with you on this point Viktoriusiii, any trap should have some visual (but subtle) clue as to its existence. Something that a cautious player should see, but a reckless one won't.

I do also agree that random, undetectable landmines, aren't are great idea, unless clearly isolated to specific areas where the player can "expect" to find them, and goes slowly accordingly.

My problem with the OP wasn't that he was saying some elements of A17.E could be improved, it was his rude, arrogant and accusatory attitude, and his assertion that A17.E was deliberately made to unfairly kill players.

I guess I'm late to the party and I read only the first two pages, but I watched the video, because I expected something really bad that warrants this thread. Bot wow am I disappointed. Not only made he tons of mistakes, it wasn't even a really difficult situation. It's as if he isn't even trying.

What about in the wasteland biome where I similarly have no way of seeing it? (Really happened.) Was I mad? Nah. I was more cautious from then on when walking through that biome.

Just because you now KNOW doesn't mean it makes sense or gives you counterplay. I was one of those ppl who advocated AGAINST landmines in the wasteland, as they have absolutely NO reason to be there, are extremely hard to see (lack of counterplay) and kill you immediatly if you aren't specked into health. Good for you that you found a way to mitigate bad worlddesign. That doesn't mean it should be in the game.

I do agree with you on this point Viktoriusiii, any trap should have some visual (but subtle) clue as to its existence. Something that a cautious player should see, but a reckless one won't.

I do also agree that random, undetectable landmines, aren't are great idea, unless clearly isolated to specific areas where the player can "expect" to find them, and goes slowly accordingly.

My problem with the OP wasn't that he was saying some elements of A17.E could be improved, it was his rude, arrogant and accusatory attitude, and his assertion that A17.E was deliberately made to unfairly kill players.

YEah. Visible AND make some sort of sense (like the military camps for example! There it makes sense!)

And sure he wasn't the nicest person. But I never look at how ppl say it but rather WHAT they say. Way more efficient way of discussing things ;)

So he is another one who can't fully grasp the meaning of an experimental or EA.

An experimental build is expected to have many issues, but I think his frustration is is coming from the fact that many of his issues stem from fundamental things like walking or melee combat. Maybe if melee combat was a new feature of A17 then we could slam him for not knowing what experimental means. But it's not. I think his expectation that melee combat would be smoother this far into development is not unreasonable. The "experimental" build should give a free pass on many issues, but it should only go so far.

I don't agree that the traps should be visible, what is the point of traps if you can see them? A sound clue on the other hand I agree with. Creaking floor that suggests you should be cautious would be a great addition. A simple clue but effective one, because you know something is rigged if you listen closely but you don't know what.

As far as the video goes, many things (other than the trap the first time) could have been avoided if he had played it smart.

I watched parts of the video and man is that guy pretty horrible at the game. So many of his problems come from just not knowing the basics of how to survive. He kept going back again and again with the expectation that the game was just going to let him do whatever he wanted to. Like it was going to feel sorry for him and just let him have his stuff back as a pity gesture.

Archived