You can't say that this not purposefully punative.

CoolJ

Just watch this video and tell me you think this is a bug and not intentionally made this way. You can't because it's clear that the entire purpose of this player trap is to ensure that you die and that you can never retrieve your stuff.

Oh, the zombies wont come down from the ceiling until you cross some imaginary barrier. And when they do, and you die because it's day 8 and there are glowing zombies and feral soldiers that you do not have the DPS to kill or the stamina to run away from, now they are gonna somehow magically climb back up in the ceiling trap because dirty exploiting players might lure them outside so that they retrieve their gear. Can't have that. Players outsmarting zombies is forbidden and makes the dungeon master very angry! What good is the stealth skill if the zombies are triggered anyway? So you can't pretend that would have saved him. Not to mention the death buff removing stats that might possibly give him a fighting chance.

I tell you one thing. If that had happened to me I would just be done with this game. After watching it, I am not even sure this game is being developed by adults anymore. Royal has a truck load of patience. I would have immediately shut off the game. No point in even trying.

Let's hear it Pimps. Hand wave this CF away. I dare you!

Why did this happen? Tell my why you think chain death is compelling game play?

I already know what you are going to say. Oh he is playing on default difficulty and that is too high. DEFAULT is too high.

You gonna try and tell me that it's a bug that the zombies just magically reset? Clearly intentional.

Oh he had a lot of guns though. Why didn't he use them? Because he didn't have any ammo. Wouldn't have mattered anyway since the guns are the worst weapons on his tool belt. The best weapon he had was a steel pick axe.

The problem here was less the game, and more so the player was an idiot. Lets see: He didn't have bandages on his hotbar, worse he didn't have any premade in inv nor did he bother to get any cloth. Next thing is after he died the first time and got his bag back, the guy runs right back in without bothering to restore his max health/stam into a room he knows has multiple ferals. He also didn't bother to prepare ammo or anything for said fight. A few barbwire fences would have probally made the fight alot easier, put them near the door, and make some noise on purpose to get the zombies to come down, then kill them when they hit the fences.

I don't see a problem with the game here, I seen a problem with the player, he went into that completly unprepared which was his own mistake. I've never had any issues like he has in that video, and I even often explore poi's at night, the running zombies aren't much of a problem when you use a bow, and keep quiet to not wake up the entire poi.

Well, since you seem to already know what the Pimps are thinking, feeling, doing, it'd be rather pointless for them to answer, wouldn't it?

Did you even watch the video? Or are you just here for damage control? Talking down to your customers is super classy though bro. I guess I am the fool because you already got my money. GG.

The problem here was less the game, and more so the player was an idiot. Lets see: He didn't have bandages on his hotbar, worse he didn't have any premade in inv nor did he bother to get any cloth. Next thing is after he died the first time and got his bag back, the guy runs right back in without bothering to restore his max health/stam into a room he knows has multiple ferals. He also didn't bother to prepare ammo or anything for said fight. A few barbwire fences would have probally made the fight alot easier, put them near the door, and make some noise on purpose to get the zombies to come down, then kill them when they hit the fences.

I don't see a problem with the game here, I seen a problem with the player, he went into that completly unprepared which was his own mistake. I've never had any issues like he has in that video, and I even often explore poi's at night, the running zombies aren't much of a problem when you use a bow, and keep quiet to not wake up the entire poi.

Exactly what items did he even have to restore his health? He didnt have any food. Bandages do not heal you so are utterly pointless. Stealth wouldn't work at all since the zombies are clearly on a trigger that's why they didn't fall down when he ran around the room in circles. They only came down when he stepped on the stage. He went in completely unprepared because it is day 8! He can't make ammo. He has neither the weapons or stats available to him to kill what he encountered in that room. You trying to say you would have lived through that room because you are just smarter is a joke. That building would eat you alive on day 8 just like anyone. The best weapon he had was a steel pick. Even though there are several actual weapons on his toolbar. If you didn't notice that was a Glowing Zombie and Feral Soldier.

Yea man I would have gone in with a tank and the dug up body of Patton and owned that room boy.

The only problem i see is jumping. It is very loud and can't do it when crouching. On the other hand you could use some half blocks to get up that 1 block barrier.

Also, having full stamina would help lots more or kiting the enemies with the bow. Although from my experience, killing off a radiated zombie requires quite a lot of preperation or luck early game.

What I have a problem with is the sheer obviousness of forced difficulty.

I wont go into the dog salon, because I can assess the risk it might bring.

With that bar he died in... HOW are you supposed to know that there will be ferals dropping from the ceiling on day 8???

It is not a "fair" difficulty.

And while the player could be more prepared, dropping zombies from above is not in any way to be expected.

Good gamedesign is for the game to show you (kinda like with vaccines) "look this can happen" early on and then casually raising the threat.

But this Alpha it is just a bad Rocky quote:

"If he dies, he dies!"

Which is never a good idea for exploration-rpgs.

Did you even watch the video? Or are you just here for damage control? Talking down to your customers is super classy though bro. I guess I am the fool because you already got my money. GG.

You hardly set out for an honest debate from the get go.

Are there issues with this Experimental build of the game? Sure, no-one would deny that.

But do you honestly, really, truly, think that TFP set out to deliberately make a "Kobayashi Maru No Win Scenario".

Your post is dripping with hostility, so is civility supposed to be one way only is it?

Once TFP see this over the top "We kill you now!" style is enjoyed by a limited number of elite quality SP people or by a solid team of skilled players, things will change.

I'm hoping they keep the crazy mode because I want to play it in the future and just add something for the non-elite SP and the casual groups.

Once TFP see this over the top "We kill you now!" style is enjoyed by a limited number of elite quality SP people or by a solid team of skilled players, things will change.

I'm hoping they keep the crazy mode because I want to play it in the future and just add something for the non-elite SP and the casual groups.

A17 introduced to those willing to risk the Experimental play, a lot of new systems that the Pimps have been working on, and that, pretty clearly, there's some work still to be done... hehe.

There's definitely issues around some of the dungeon POI's being out of kilter with player game stages, there's still work to be done on the RWG, the latest build made a pretty major change to the death penalty system and it goes on.

I don't know of anyone who played A17 b197 and said "It's perfect Pimps! Don't change a thing!", and the feedback (if reasonably put) from these forums could really help the Pimps make those changes.

The OP has come in here though claiming:

1) The element in the video that he sees as controversial was done deliberately by the Pimps to "autokill" the player.

2) That any attempt to deny that would be pure whitewashing on the Pimps part.

3) That any attempt to outsmart the zombies will be deliberately shut down by the game.

4) That the stealth system is constructed more or less to give the player a false sense of security.

5) That this one incident, if it had happened to him (in an Experimental release no less) would have be sufficient for him to never play the game again.

6) That the scenario was designed, deliberately, to ensure chain death.

7) That the Pimps will claim it's just all because he was playing too high a difficulty level.

8) That bugs are purposefully put into the game by the Pimps.

So, really, with that amount of tinfoil opening statements, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Devs weren't exactly dropping everything else they're doing right now to race in here and calmly reply to him.

You hardly set out for an honest debate from the get go.

Are there issues with this Experimental build of the game? Sure, no-one would deny that.

But do you honestly, really, truly, think that TFP set out to deliberately make a "Kobayashi Maru No Win Scenario".

Your post is dripping with hostility, so is civility supposed to be one way only is it?

Honest debate? Hell no! Lie to my face some more trying to tell me that the fact that the zombies reset is a bug. The reason my post seems hostile is because your team has been putting this all down to bugs which they are clearly not. They are poorly conceived intentional changes that should have been fixed yesterday. Dare I say never implemented in the first place. Oh it's a bug though man it's cool is the rhetoric from your side when that just isn't the case. Yea, people don't like being lied to. I am the one not being civil.

Losing HP and doesn't use pills

No bandages on hot bar to stop bleed

Weapons on toolbar that are not used

Lots of arrows but keeps attacking with pick

Wanders into rooms without an exit strategy

Fires bow at dog and misses completely from point blank

Seems to have all this cool loot but based in a crap lightly defended POI

That's my observations from 2 mins of flicking through video. Refuse to watch 30 mins of that.

Do you know how people get good at games? Every time bad stuff happens they don't blame the devs, they wonder what they did wrong and how they could do better next time. Not a bad attitude to have outside of gaming either.

Keep going. This is amazing for your credibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcjpags7JT8

Actually, I think you're quite clearly demonstrating what unreasonable feedback looks like. If/when you're ready to seriously debate the changes you think are needed in A17, that would be well worth listening to. If you just want to rant and accuse TFP of engineering a giant conspiracy against the playerbase, well, don't expect much by way of engagement from TFP I suspect.

That's my observations from 2 mins of flicking through video. Refuse to watch 30 mins of that.

Do you know how people get good at games? Every time bad stuff happens they don't blame the devs, they wonder what they did wrong and how they could do better next time. Not a bad attitude to have outside of gaming either.

Precisely.

Pills wont restore max health.

Hardly would have helped with that many beating on him.

Every weapon on his tool bar is worse than the pick axe.

Again the best weapon he has is the pick axe.

His exit strategy is to kill the mobs.

Hardly would have mattered in this situation.

Haven't you heard? Handing out a bunch of firearms that are worse than the pick axe is a "bug". You also seem to miss the part where it is only day 8.

Right, the guy is just bad at the game even though he has been playing it for years. He clearly didn't just walk in to a comedy of errors that startled and confused him.

Also flicked through that video for a couple of minutes and the mistakes are glaring:

- three firearms on toolbelt that he can't/won't use

- nothing invested in either agility or fortitude, no stealth perks

- no healing/anti-bleed items on toolbelt

- attacks with stamina draining steel pickaxe???

- keeps going into POI that's obviously too difficult for him (you need to pick your fights instead of assuming you can handle everything)

- etc.

I couldn't see his level, but if he leveled a lot and didn't die up to that point, chances are his gamestage is relatively high. Which means more dangerous zombies everywhere. I'm playing my current game on Warrior and since I power leveled and didn't die, I'm seeing much worse than this in my second week. Irradiated zombies, ferals, etc. Some POIs are worse than others, but none are safe.

If you're like the player from the video, there's probably several A16 habits that you need to drop a.s.a.p. As soon as I understood I had to relearn the game, I had a much better time with A17, even if it's still a very flawed game.

Besides that, it seems like you're stuck in a loop of negativity. Probably best to take a break from the game, go for several walks and then see if you can change your approach to it, because it seems you're currently just looking for confirmation of your negative thoughts.

Some are still trying to play this like an A16 power fantasy with infinite stamina where zombies cannot even hit you as you run right through them.

I have watched several good players playing A17 on insane, killing zombies in melee or at range. What I would not see there is them charging in blindly without a way to run or without even bandages.

If you want to see some A17 insane / always run / permadeath... check out this crazy woman.

Every weapon on his tool bar is worse than the pick axe.

Again the best weapon he has is the pick axe.

You're seriously underestimating firearms in this game. The SMG is so much better than the slow and stamina-draining pickaxe, it's no comparison. Only downsides are noise and ammo. I specifically keep firearms on my tool belt for surprise situations like these, where the DPS of melee and bows are simply insufficient.

Right, the guy is just bad at the game even though he has been playing it for years. He clearly didn't just walk in to a comedy of errors that startled and confused him.

Maybe exactly this was part of his problem. He was too stuck with A16 habits which dont work anymore. A17 changed quite a lot, and even I was fully aware of this, it took me 2-3 days (realtime) to adapt to the new game mechanics.

Regards

Tantalus

Archived