please don't cater to the HC crowd

wolfhorse

Well, this thread is done; b108 nerfed the game, catering to every complaint.

...b108, the "pussification update."

...guess the next thread in a few weeks will be "Please make the game harder; I learned how to play a17 and now it's too easy", ironically, by the same folks who complained...

Glad I can mod most of the challenges back in.

What change list did you look at?

Question, did you close up the hole you entered through?

that's really not the point, although i see youre saying hes not playing right or isnt good, nice, but the point is you shouldn't be facing a wolf hoard on day 3 because if you do it's not fun. people are not gonna pay money to be frustrated, they want to have fun and remember all you oldtimers, the FPs already got your money, it's the new players that are gonna be buying this, so if it isn't fun they aint buying. maybe thats why its on sale for 9 bucks. it's worth way more than that. If the game stops sellin who's paying the FPs? not you

I agree with OP

A17 is about the removal of almost all choice.

Want XP while building? No (frame block upgrade only)

Want XP from mining? Not really... a few points but you will never advance in the game towards new perks. Oh, and good luck finding resources anyway.

Want XP from trading? Less things are worth anything, and XP is less too. Enjoy

Want XP from crafting? Nope

Want XP? Kill Zs, that is it. Enjoy all your options.

Want to build? Zs destroy blocks way faster making it almost worthless to build or upgrade

Want to build? Material harvesting is slower and your stamina is ♥♥♥♥

Want to build? It will take you 2-3 times as long to level to concrete and steel, and that is if you don't make a balanced character.

Want to build? Even many wooded blocks are gated behind the workbench, and heck those are just aesthetic.

Want to build? No we didn't think so.

Want to travel? You stamina is ♥♥♥♥

Want to travel? The map is smaller

Want to travel? The snow and desert biomes are bigger blobs and your clothing doesn't really protect you any more (please refer back to stamina)

Want to travel? Maybe one day, after a hundred real hours, you will have a "new" motorized toy. Better not restart your game.

Want to travel? So much more fun!

Want to kill Zs? We have you covered

Want to kill Zs? We have turned it into the grind mechanism... basically like turning you hobby into your dayjob. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

Want to play alone? No you don't

Want to play alone? PIO are balanced for Multi-enjoy

Want to play alone? Leveling to get you what you need for mid-game should only take 20-30 hours real time.

Want to play alone? Git Good! Be a real "man"! You sux! Whiner.

Have any issue with A17? Prepared to be shouted down by a vocal minority.

Have any issue with A17? It is just experimental/beta/alpha/Tuesday... stop expecting things.

Have any issue with A17? They will tell you to mod (of course you can't mod individually if you are joining multi; see playing alone above)

Want to build a stilt house? Nope

Want to build underground? Nope

Want to build in a POI? Zs will chew through it like swiss cheese

Want to choose a different POI for Zs to destroy each 7 day? Wow, what a fun game with choices!

Show me one Z movie or comic where Zs destroy like the do in A17. Steel doors in 5 minutes: gone. Steel walls in 3 minutes: gone. Meter thick reinforced concrete slabs: Gone before I finished this sentence.

Want to restart a new game? Do you really want the initial grind? It's won;t be nearly as fun the second time.

I DO NOT HATE A17... but for the greatness it adds, TFP also added a year of spite against a community that found ways to "beat" their game. I do not enjoy many of the changes because they add grind and decrease choice. It decreases the variety of play styles. It forces Multi-player. And finally, I believe it takes away fun for a MAJORITY of the players. And finally...

Bravo, thank you please fun pimps read this and remember the vocal majority won't be giving you any more money, those people would be the quiet ones that might buy a new copy if you pay attention to this, you choose grasshopper

that's really not the point, although i see youre saying hes not playing right or isnt good, nice, but the point is you shouldn't be facing a wolf hoard on day 3 because if you do it's not fun. people are not gonna pay money to be frustrated, they want to have fun and remember all you oldtimers, the FPs already got your money, it's the new players that are gonna be buying this, so if it isn't fun they aint buying. maybe thats why its on sale for 9 bucks. it's worth way more than that. If the game stops sellin who's paying the FPs? not you

Just because you don’t like wolf hordes early game doesn’t mean others don’t. You can’t speak for other players, you can only speak for yourself. Further dog and wolf hordes are not a guaranteed death. You can run away from them.

If I could I'd play the game on the hardest setting, but I can't as the frame rate is just too poor. I find the game really easy, almost easier than A16. It's slower to clear a PoI, that's true, but I'm not understanding the OP's suggestion that somehow this is "catering for the HC", if anything I'd say the opposite.

That said, in response to OP's comment, if you can't handle it then turn your difficulty down. Don't make TFP nerf everything because you think there are too many zombies in a zombie game.

If I could I'd play the game on the hardest setting, but I can't as the frame rate is just too poor. I find the game really easy, almost easier than A16. It's slower to clear a PoI, that's true, but I'm not understanding the OP's suggestion that somehow this is "catering for the HC", if anything I'd say the opposite.

That said, in response to OP's comment, if you can't handle it then turn your difficulty down. Don't make TFP nerf everything because you think there are too many zombies in a zombie game.

Oh, well don't forget its supposed to be a "casual sandbox game" because they said so lol. Tbh it's in their favor to attract new players if they keep the game challenging. I personally know people who were avoiding getting it because there wasn't any challenge to the game, even with modding the way zombie spawns worked/the AI there wasn't much of a challenge once you got past starter gear.

108, 208, I've heard it both ways. And yes. Yes, it did. From blocks to vultures to level gates to penalties, and the list goes on.

I really hope it doesn't become A16 easy... I was so excited to hear / face the new challenges.

Just because you don’t like wolf hordes early game doesn’t mean others don’t. You can’t speak for other players, you can only speak for yourself. Further dog and wolf hordes are not a guaranteed death. You can run away from them.

I was truly happy to get a wolf horde the other day, it meant that if I lived, I would be able to heal myself with food, and live another day.

Oh, well don't forget its supposed to be a "casual sandbox game" because they said so lol. Tbh it's in their favor to attract new players if they keep the game challenging. I personally know people who were avoiding getting it because there wasn't any challenge to the game, even with modding the way zombie spawns worked/the AI there wasn't much of a challenge once you got past starter gear.

I really hope it doesn't become A16 easy... I was so excited to hear / face the new challenges.

I stopped playing A16 because it was just too easy. b208 is still easy, easier than 194/197/199. I have a feeling that too many people were complaining about the difficulty because they had grown lazy and complacent with A16 and so reacted to that feedback, the 194 release was harder (that was the streamer weekend build) but I saw no negative to that other than streamers complaining because they were being shown up in front of their sycophantic audience.

Personally I want a zombie game that the minute you spawn you are rushed and need to craft "on the hoof" just for a slight chance of survival, let alone allowing you to stop and build a base! "28 Days Later" style rage infested zombies. Now I am probably in the minority here, and I accept that. I look to mods and the difficulty level to achieve that, and of course TFP to optimise the game so that mid range PCs can handle the game smoothly. However I don't go around telling TFP to nerf the game because I feel it doesn't match my expectations (or my skill level). TFP should be allowed, without duress, to create the game they want and then the rest of us and the modders can tweak that game as desired.

The point is that making a game harder by modding gives the player a good feeling

Make a game easyer can give the player a bad feeling. (like "you are not good enough", even if thats not true, its a fun game and no challenge)

So as a example, its good to have digging zombies, but it would be nice if the vanilla game dont use them, and instead there would be a easy way to enable that feature.

Its allways a good idea to see the Balance from the easyest point of view and offer many ways to make it harder.

Nobody feels bad for the feeling that he is a "Bad azz"

Aren't we all kinda doing that? =)

I think in an ideal world, we'd like alot of this to be tied in to the difficulty you select.

Some extra options to tailor enemy behavior to our personal preference would please everyone, and is probably the easiest solution to the problem.

ie

Zombie Digging

Zombie Perception

Zombie Health

Zombie Strength

etc...

I'm not sure if its completely doable, I'm no game programmer, but I feel like it should be?

I really don't know why people are presuming its one way or the other.

Just because someone finds the game easy, it doesn't mean the game is easy for everyone.

Scavenger mode should be easily playable by a child or an inexperienced gamer, and Insane (or whatever its called) should challenge the experienced veterans.

As somebody said above quite rightly, the Fun Pimps already have the veterans money. If you all want the game to keep growing, it needs to cater to new players too.

No. I'm not pandering to the sympathies of the masses to allow TFP to make the game they desire. Quite frankly, if we left it to them without providing feedback, they would make a pretty poor game. I never thought I'd say this, but it is an EARLY ACCESS game. This implies we are alpha testing their game and it's everyone's responsibility to tell them what works and doesn't work.

Well, my current playthrough is on Day 4. My gamestage is 12. A wolf horde jumped me. I ran away until they stopped chasing, then I went back and picked them off one-by-one.

I actually only have 250 hours in this game. Even silent wolf hordes are not that hard people.

I used to play on warrior/nomad.Now i have lowered the difficulty and the game is quite fun.In a14-15-16 i used to get bored by day 30 because of lack of threats and having everything i wanted.

What is the point of playing a zombie game if you don't like killing zombies?What is the point of having so many POi's if you have everything and your base is invincible by day 30?What is the point of having so large maps, so many minerals if you don't need them? What is the point of having the auger, if you no longer need to build, cause you already have an invincible base?

Those of you, who can't play and enjoy the game, on lowest difficulty, you are doing something very wrong.

I started plaing they are billions, had the same dilema for almost 1 year, i believed the game is to hard, only to find out how enjoyable it is.

I think anyone denying they don't do that to at least some degree is kidding themselves. I try to be objective (especially as a moderator), but I know I have certain preferences and would just love it if TFP tailored the default game exactly to my preferences.... hehe.

This is where I hope TFP keep the game as supremely configurable as they can - down to and even including major game mechanics.

Don't want digging zombies? Edit this XML and turn 'em off.

Don't want a 7 day horde? Edit this other XML and turn that off too.

Want a harsher death penalty? Change this one line here and you're golden.

Want 100 active LCB's? Open up whatever.xml and change 1 number.

The more TFP can do that, the more successful the game will be I think.

as I said I'm already playing 1 lvl down in Diff. I don't understand why hte HC crowd wants me to have to play the game THEY want to play. I want them to have their game and me mine. At this point I'm waiting for the final stable version and hope the FPs fix it. Then if I have too I'll play easiest level and see if that's fun. If not I'm just going back to 16 and wait for 18. I hope the fact that there is a lot more money in making a game for everybody and not for just one small demograph will win the day

Seems highly unlikely if you are playing on the lowest difficulty that you are that busy. Our server is on level 4 with 100 max Zombie and we have little to kill unless we open a house. It is a zombie survival game what do you expect that they will remove the zombies? Wait there is a setting for that btw. It could be you are trying to live in a city? Perhaps moving further into the woods would work for you. First day play A17 learned that at the start looting houses is a bad thing. Game is geared more toward surviving now than ever.

Also many have said and seems true TRADER quests will level you faster than anything. They are very simple as well.

You are never forced to play how I want to play but I mean they can only lower the zombie down so far before they just do not exist. Though I am sure TFP know they are not going to please everyone and only those that do not like the changes are here in majority. The rest of us are loving the update. Perhaps find new friends that love surival games and are good at them. Then play alongside them to learn some things. I have 2 friends I play with and we each have our talents.

Few pro tips for you......

1. Use rooftops or even nerd pole alongside a building to get good safe shooting angles. Alongside the building they can destroy what is under you and you are still safe.

2. When you break into a house look at it and try to remember that the best loot is in the attic or basement most times. So start at the top or the bottom but go slow and crouched. Cutting a hole in the roof is sometimes best IF there are no windows for runners to come out to you. Make sure to get up there it is more than 2 blocks up.

3. Birds you can walk backwards faster than they move.

4. Military camps, build a fast 4 block high tower to get rid of the dogs. If you can see one in the camp get on tower shoot dog. It comes to you faster than other Z so kill dog. Then hop down get rid of slower Z or avoid them and loot the camp fast.

5. Do not sort loot if you are sneaking through a building. Pick it all up!!! When outside and clear go through it. Or if you see you are nearly full then quickly scrap everything that is Brass,Lead,Iron,Cloth. Toss garbage like glass.

6. If you think there are runners make sure to cut out a few exits from the building. Outside is best place to deal with them. Run around the building with them. Stay close to it so they do not respawn.

These are a few things me and my friends do. Two of us work well together where we level about 3 lvl per hr. If you are working with friends stay together use melee only if you can or one melee one bow. For mele hit them from left and right to keep them off balance and not knowing where to hit.

All you have to do guys to start to enjoy the new version of this game is FORGET ABOUT THE OLD VERSION!!! Now you do that play it like you have no idea what you are doing!!! It will get so easy you will be bored soon.

I'm not having any fun any more. I'm day 17 lvl 27. I'm a solo player and it's just boring. All I have time to do is kill Zs. Which I love but I also love exploring and looting and building and it feels like all that is gone now. I never get a break to do anything but kill zombies or wolves or dogs or vultures (love the vultures btw). But things like Day 4 or 5 I clear a bldg, I'm in the back room and a wolfpack comes thru the front all the way to the back room not a sound not a howl or a whimper. So me, 3 wolves and a small room with only a bow you fill in the rest. second hoard night and still have no time to buld a decent hoard base but the kicker first thing in the morning a roaming hoard with 3 cops and 8 hazmats as well as the usual suspects. I'm level 23 or 24 then (27 now ) so no work bench and no way to make ammo.

I'm a new 7d2d fan started with Alpha 16 and loved it. Became my fav game above skyrim and even Fallout. Now in 17 I'm just bored. You never get a break to do anything but kill Zombies. You break a house open 6 or 8 zombies come out plus the ones that sneak up. It takes for ever to loot one house. I feel like I'm playing the old call of duty zombie game where you had to keep boarding up the windows. I even had the Zs jump the fence and attack me in the trader shop lol. yes jumped the fence, I watched them do it. For a solo player, It just gets boring.And here' the kicker, I'm already playing 1 below default diff.

I was told by some tubers that if I came to the forums and expressed my opinion respectively that you would listen so thats what I'm trying to do. Please don't cater to the loud and proud Hard core community. You have a lot more customers/fans than just them. Many of us if not the majority are solo players. We're proud just not always loud. We usually just stop playing rather than engage with Devs.

So I'm hearing there will be balancing and etc so here's my input. Please don't forget the rest of us. We want to play your game, see the world you created, create our own bases and explore. Please allow us sole players to do that as well.

Thanks for litening

I'm not enjoying it also. IT'S REDICULOUS the never ending stream of zombies...not to mention the 100,000 arrows in the head it takes to bring down one zombie! I was hoping the Dev's would come up with something better than this garbage especially after OVER A YEAR of working on it! I bought the game liking the way it was...was just looking for some minor changes maybe cars / ziplines / gyrocopter and the like, NOT A WHOLE NEW GAME!! If I saw this in the beginning I would have never bought it. The fun is gone for me.

Archived